Duke4.net Forums: [Beta test] Ethanol Fever !NEW VERSION! - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[Beta test] Ethanol Fever !NEW VERSION!  "Looking for beta testers for my level."

User is offline   NerdKoopa 

Ethanol Fever is a short and nonlinear map like Hollywood Holocaust (E1L1). Your goal is to find three keycards scattered around the map to gain access to the nuke button. There are multipe ways to get to each keycard.
The map is quite small in size and it can be easily beaten under a minute, but there's a lot to explore. Granted, it's not very original, but I just wanted to make a fun and solid level with some replay value.

A new version is here. Have fun testing!

Attention all beta testers!

Deathmatch, co-op and difficulty levels are finally supported!
These are the things that need attention: item placement, enemy placement, enemies to ammo ratio, enemies to health ratio, details, fun factor, deathmatch and co-op item and spawn placement, difficulty levels.

Notice: the enemies are missing from these screenshots.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by NerdKoopa: 13 November 2010 - 04:13 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Nice screensots, very oldschool. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to beta test at the moment

User is offline   CruX 

Just gave it a quick playthrough, and it's decent in most areas. For the most part health/ammo is distributed well, though I thought it was a bit lacking at first, that's largely just because of the place I chose to hit right after starting the map. Enemy placement is handled well, I think my only qualm was the riot tank that just sort of appeared out of nowhere in that diner. In terms of design, the level's strong in some areas, but noticeably lacking in others.

Shading is done very well in outdoors areas (particularly the place you start) but seems lacking indoors, where the floors seem to get more attention than the walls and make things look slightly wonky in some places (the basement area that you get to from a staircase is a good example of this. The wall on the outer edge of the stair case is the same art tile as the wall on the other side and they both have the same shade value. If you're off to the side of the staircase and look at it from the right/wrong angle, you actually wouldn't even be able to tell there's a staircase there.)

Although overall detail is good (I really like the risen train tracks and the fact that it's a functional part of the level, rather than just decor), there are quite a few big areas that are mostly empty and inaccessible ares rely on the police line a bit too much, so certain places end up looking a bit redundant. Still though, this works great as a basic, vanilla-type map.

View PostEmericaSkater, on Oct 3 2010, 06:55 PM, said:

Just gave it a quick playthrough, and it's decent in most areas. For the most part health/ammo is distributed well, though I thought it was a bit lacking at first, that's largely just because of the place I chose to hit right after starting the map. Enemy placement is handled well, I think my only qualm was the riot tank that just sort of appeared out of nowhere in that diner. In terms of design, the level's strong in some areas, but noticeably lacking in others.

Shading is done very well in outdoors areas (particularly the place you start) but seems lacking indoors, where the floors seem to get more attention than the walls and make things look slightly wonky in some places (the basement area that you get to from a staircase is a good example of this. The wall on the outer edge of the stair case is the same art tile as the wall on the other side and they both have the same shade value. If you're off to the side of the staircase and look at it from the right/wrong angle, you actually wouldn't even be able to tell there's a staircase there.)

Although overall detail is good (I really like the risen train tracks and the fact that it's a functional part of the level, rather than just decor), there are quite a few big areas that are mostly empty and inaccessible ares rely on the police line a bit too much, so certain places end up looking a bit redundant. Still though, this works great as a basic, vanilla-type map.

Thanks for the feedback! The riot tank spawns on the small parking lot when you enter the room with the blue keycard. Apparently it comes after you. The large inaccessible areas are there to give the level more eye candy and make it feel less claustrofobic. The elevated train tracks were the inspiration behind this whole level! They were there since the very first experimental versions. From the very beginning I knew that you have to get on these tracks to gain access to some areas.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I just played it, and here are some criticism and notes:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 03 October 2010 - 01:20 PM

User is offline   tryhard 

I like this map, because the use of vents reminds me of duke it out in dc somehow... ;)
Overall i think the map is too easy to be played. There is too much shotgun placement (or not enough pigcops ect.)
I am just beginnig to map for duke nukem 3d so i don't know if it's possible to trigger more enemies when inserting keycards, but that would be my idea to make the exiting of this map more surprising.
Another thing i noticed are the textures of the bar. They need some "polish" and also wouldn't it be better to exchange the signs above the m/w toilets. I think the women's toilets should be infested with alien eggs.
i could be wrong - i could be right. ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPj-8_wOZcA...feature=related
Don't take me too seriously - i am still a newbie to duke nukem 3d.

I've played it, found only two secrets though. Still I have a few remarks. Generally it's a solid but small-sized map. The level is quite easy, I played on "Let's rock" and it flown like "Piece of cake". It would be nice to have difficulty settings. Your stairways look too steep, I suggest lowering their slope to about 50%. Also I think you rely on vents too much, they make the level harder to navigate (still it didn't cause a problem due to its size). Some rooms lack any details and look empty; try placing various decorative sprites. Also, painting all elevator's walls into a single texture isn't good imo 'cause it doesn't show which walls belong to the shaft or the elevator itself.

I gave this a try. Found one secret, no clue where the rest were.
Insertion of keycards should be spread out, this makes it more challenging.

Every time I play this map, the enemies killed on the stats constantly change. There's not set limit as the enemies missed is always at zero.

This post has been edited by The Dukenator: 12 October 2010 - 05:07 AM

User is offline   RazorZ 

I think it was an average map. :( Texturing and detailing was colourful, good-looking and original, but lack of shading and trimming at times wasn´t good at all. The map looked great, especially unreachable locations were nice touch and layout was not that bad, but to tell you the truth, I was kinda disappointed. Perhaps I was expecting too much or not, but after looking for 3 keycards to complete the level, all this done in about 5 minutes, it let cold too easily. :D I didn´t even die once. :D

Spritework on the main street was probably the best visual point in the map, why player couldn´t visit on top of them and fight the aliens right there, high up? :D
And to say something about the keycard placements... they were in OK places (inside the safe boxes, hidden behind activatable doors/places etc.), but player really got them too easily. The player should have more effort looking for them, create some explosions, nasty surprises, more outdoor and street areas; that´s what I wanted to see after taking look at the pictures, that´s what many of us wanted to see after taking look at the pictures, a city of full alien bastards to take out! Kill those bitches! Kill them for good! :D

Make them bleed!

Make them suffer!

Make them die!

And of course, you will enjoy about it. :(

So don´t disappoint the player, try something epicly unique, think about the level bit deeper:
Sewers included? Yes!
Bar included? Yes!
Something more? No.

Why? :( We want more badass locations! :D

So stick into that for a while, remember the word, EPIC! :D

View PostRazorZ, on Oct 25 2010, 06:33 PM, said:

I think it was an average map. :D Texturing and detailing was colourful, good-looking and original, but lack of shading and trimming at times wasn´t good at all. The map looked great, especially unreachable locations were nice touch and layout was not that bad, but to tell you the truth, I was kinda disappointed. Perhaps I was expecting too much or not, but after looking for 3 keycards to complete the level, all this done in about 5 minutes, it let cold too easily. :( I didn´t even die once. :D

Spritework on the main street was probably the best visual point in the map, why player couldn´t visit on top of them and fight the aliens right there, high up? :D
And to say something about the keycard placements... they were in OK places (inside the safe boxes, hidden behind activatable doors/places etc.), but player really got them too easily. The player should have more effort looking for them, create some explosions, nasty surprises, more outdoor and street areas; that´s what I wanted to see after taking look at the pictures, that´s what many of us wanted to see after taking look at the pictures, a city of full alien bastards to take out! Kill those bitches! Kill them for good! :D

Make them bleed!

Make them suffer!

Make them die!

And of course, you will enjoy about it. :(

So don´t disappoint the player, try something epicly unique, think about the level bit deeper:
Sewers included? Yes!
Bar included? Yes!
Something more? No.

Why? :D We want more badass locations! :(

So stick into that for a while, remember the word, EPIC! :D

Actually, you CAN get on the tracks and you have to get on the tracks to reach two of the secrets. Also, my original vision wasn't anything that epic in the first place. I just wanted to make a fun, short and solid map like E1L1. Besides, this was more like a practice in mapping urban enviromets. I'm still new to level designing. I'll get to the epic stuff once I get enough experience. I already have an awesome idea. It could be summed up like this: Inception meets Nightmare on Elm Street starring Duke Nukem. Thanks for the feedback!

• Honored Donor

You've already got hold of the basics of mapping, I have no doubt that your next map will be very enjoyable :(

This post has been edited by Micky C: 06 November 2010 - 01:58 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Is beta2 the final version?

View PostLeoD, on Nov 6 2010, 01:56 PM, said:

Is beta2 the final version?

No. I'm still working on the final version.

ATTENTION ALL TESTERS! A new version is here! Deathmatch, co-op and difficulty levels are now supported. I really, REALLY hope that someone could give this a go in deathmatch and give some constructive feedback.

• Honored Donor

I just played through it for the first time. It's definitely a solid map like you said, I found it indeed very fun. I played through it twice, once on 'piece of cake', and again on 'come get some' and found it quite easy both times. I'd say the amount of health is perfect, although there are probably too many weapons/ammo lying about in the map. I ended up with shotgun-40, chaingun-200, pipebombs-7, and RPG-10 on come get some. I'm guessing you put in so many shotguns and things so that whichever route the player takes, he'll find a shotgun, but I'd bet you did that more for the dukematch side of things, and maybe you should make more of them dukematch only by giving them pal 1.
There are also a good amount of enemies in 'come get some' but I found that the level geometry allowed me to fight them while losing almost no health (i.e by moving behind corners, ducking next to benches/crates), which is a good thing as it forces the player to use some tactics. I also think I missed out a chunk of the map because I missed 14 aliens and 4 secrets. My only real critisism is that the one of the sprites you used as part of the track is green! :blink:

But all in all a very satisfying, short map. I was under the impression from somewhere in this thread that this is your first map, but whether it is or not, it's definitely worth a play or two.
Also, it's unfortunate but while the multiplayer code is unfinished, not many people would be willing to give dukematch and co-op a go, but judging from your level layout, it would be a good 4 player dukematch map.

If you're going to continue mapping (and I hope that you do), I'd recommend going for something bigger and more epic! For example, not counting my first map, my second map was a small non-linear level based around a single building, not too dissimilar from yours in some aspects, and now I'm working on a large canyon/mine map. I'm not saying you should do a desert map, but you're ready for something big :blink:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options