Duke4.net Forums: custom textures/sounds in duke nukem 3d - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

custom textures/sounds in duke nukem 3d

User is offline   tryhard 

I am very new at mapping for duke nukem 3d. So forgive me my newbie questions :)
My questions:
1.) how can i use selfmade custom textures for my maps? what size should they be and how can i integrate them into mapster etc.
2.) how can i create voc files? (from ogg or wav for example)
thank you in advance

tryhard

User is offline   RazorZ 

View Posttryhard, on Sep 29 2010, 12:10 AM, said:

I am very new at mapping for duke nukem 3d. So forgive me my newbie questions :)
My questions:
1.) how can i use selfmade custom textures for my maps? what size should they be and how can i integrate them into mapster etc.
2.) how can i create voc files? (from ogg or wav for example)
thank you in advance

tryhard

Use my attached programs.

Bastart and DukeRes are for art creation (in Duke Nukem 3D all tiles/sprites are in .art files), i.Mage to create transparency for sprites (if you are looking for Duke Nukem 3D palette, check Bastart folder and then select PALETTE.DAT. Many modern programs won´t support 8bit transparency, so I recommend to use i.Mage, makes it easier). GRPStudio is especially meant to edit or create your own .grp files, (Duke Nukem 3D´s content files) and Goldwave is for audio editing - support for many file formats as well as .voc files.

All new files can be packed into DUKE3D.GRP file (remember to create backup of it, if something fails while dealing with it) or you can just simply put .art and .voc files to your custom .grp file(s) , but it requires use of .bat files or other custom commands to get it work with the game, so I don´t recommend it to test out yet. After you have learned the use of these things, you can progress forward.

Now, download my .rar and have fun! :) I hope my post helped.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   tryhard 

Thank you so much! *twothumbsup*
But i think i have to play your maps first... :)
It will take me some time to get my first map done anyway, because i never dealt with the making of .bat files before for example.
quote:"After you have learned the use of these things, you can progress forward." - that's true.

btw: greetings to finland - a long long time ago i met a really fine guitarist from finland and he told me what creating music is all about.
omg i found him on the www: http://www.swissfilms.ch/static/files/cine...9_Schmid_de.pdf just search the .pdf for toby natry. it's the guy on the left on the photo - i will never forget him although more than 20 years passed now...

This post has been edited by tryhard: 29 September 2010 - 01:10 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I haven't used those sorts of programs all that much, but in past experience they don't hold up so well in modern operating systems. If you can get then to work and you're comfortable with using them then great, but there is an alternative that allows you to bypass all the old programs and put images straight into the game by using DEFs (http://wiki.eduke32....ki/DEF_Language). It's essentially code, but it's sooooo easy to figure out even if you have absolutely no knowledge of code, like me.

Using this, if you want to put in an 8 bit texture, use the "tilefromtexture" def, or if you want a high definition texture for OpenGL mode, create a dummytile or setuptile range, then use "texture" before defining defining which pics (jgp or png) to use. It's all on the webpage.

Good luck whatever you do :)

User is offline   RazorZ 

Thank you for support, Micky C. :)

However, I personally prefer original 8bit graphics, OpenGL renderer makes colours look more bland and gray. I´m not against anything, but that´s how I like to play
Duke - because it´s just an instant classic. :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------
Oh, and if didn´t welcome you here yet,
"Welcome tryhard!" :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------
Good luck in your beginning in career Duke Nukem mods or whatever and hope you will enjoy your stay. ;)

PS: Try hard! :(

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options