Duke4.net Forums: Halo Not All That Good! - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Halo Not All That Good!

User is offline   Nukem 

As a PC gamer I expect more out of a game, and as each year comes I want the technology that goes with it better than the last.
Now then comes along Halo, the presumed god of console shooters. IMO it's an overhyped repadative game that overall is not that good.

Level design: Either terrible or good

AI: average, nothing special

Weapons: concepts that have been used over and over again, but they just came in this game with a new design

Multiplayer: fun only online with 32 other people

Gameplay: average, a mockery of the FPS catagory of gaming

Any opinions to prove me wrong?

User is offline   Telee 

IMO:

Level Design: Repetitive and boring, with lots of copy + pasted corridors. The outdoor areas are pretty cool however.

AI: Okay, a little uninteresting since they seem to only shoot at you.

Weapons: My favorite part of the game, with some pretty cool stuff. Pistol is poor though.

Multiplayer: Pretty fun but too many snipers.

Gameplay: Interesting at first, but later on in the game it's below average.

User is offline   oakman 

View PostTelee, on Mar 13 2007, 09:27 PM, said:

IMO:

Level Design: Repetitive and boring, with lots of copy + pasted corridors. The outdoor areas are pretty cool however.

AI: Okay, a little uninteresting since they seem to only shoot at you.

Weapons: My favorite part of the game, with some pretty cool stuff. Pistol is poor though.

Multiplayer: Pretty fun but too many snipers.

Gameplay: Interesting at first, but later on in the game it's below average.

^^
yes to all

Buuut it's not all that bad, the concept is prety cool they just did it in a very bad way and sucky bad guys, but I'll admit I have 1 and 2 and I'll probably be getting part 3.

And I agree it's over hyped, but you gotta remember it's mostly played by 12 year olds who've never ever seen another FPS

Yes HALO's concept is good, actually it's a great concept. But sadly Microsoft couldn't handle a great idea for shit.

After all the hype and build up the final product was sad, pathetic letdown with nothing but boring, dull, repetitive level design. Uninspired enemies that were way to overused.
And as for weapons... the pistol is the best gun in the game. That alone should say enough.

I'm probably going to ignore HALO 2 when it comes to PC, I may try a demo if they release one... but other than that I seriously doubt I'll ever pay money to play a HALO game again.

User is offline   hiob 

^You might have to install Windows Vista to try a Halo 2 demo. And that's just not worth it.

Actually I don't think HALO 2 is Vista only, but for the DX10 effects you'll need Vista. The only Vista only game at the moment is Alan Wake... which, IMO, is a stupid move by Remedy.

User is offline   Telee 

View Postoakman, on Mar 16 2007, 11:12 PM, said:

And I agree it's over hyped, but you gotta remember it's mostly played by 12 year olds who've never ever seen another FPS

Heh, amen to that. Some idiot at Gametrailers forums said that "Halo invented FPS." That pissed me off so much.

Yes HALO's concept is good, actually it's a great concept. But sadly Microsoft couldn't handle a great idea for shit.

I actually believe that Bungie can make an awesome Halo game - the only problem is, Microsoft is too hard on them with the release dates.

After all the hype and build up the final product was sad, pathetic letdown with nothing but boring, dull, repetitive level design.

I've actually found traces of copied corridors. There's usually trimming mistakes on the walls.

Yeah I remember seeing that myself. But what was so sad about it, the outdoor areas at the beginning of the game were great.
They looked amazing, were bright, colorful and very large. But there were fare to few of them.

And then later in the game we get to go back outside and what do we find... it's shades of white and gray (snow and ice). The same colors we had seen while we were running down the same gray hallway for the past three hours.

User is offline   laffer 

Halo Not All That Good!

So what else is new :)

View PostNukem, on Mar 13 2007, 11:37 PM, said:

As a PC gamer I expect more out of a game, and as each year comes I want the technology that goes with it better than the last.
Now then comes along Halo, the presumed god of console shooters. IMO it's an overhyped repadative game that overall is not that good.

Level design: Either terrible or good

AI: average, nothing special

Weapons: concepts that have been used over and over again, but they just came in this game with a new design

Multiplayer: fun only online with 32 other people

Gameplay: average, a mockery of the FPS catagory of gaming

Any opinions to prove me wrong?

I am new here and you have just put me into a fit of absolute rage.

What you have said is 100% incorrect and totally ridiculous.

Halo 1 has probably the best AI in any FPS I have ever played and I have played on PC for many years and constantly kept up to date with the hardware until I came across Xbox.

Halo 1 has the best music, best AI, best story, best weapons, best level design and best overall feel.

Although Halo haters such as yourself will obviously think I am mad.

I bet you are one of those Unreal Tournament / Quake players huh? Well in that case how would you expect to know what HALO is all about?

It sickens me when people who have no idea how great HALO truely is just mock it.

Well here is a wake up call!

There are around 4million pre-orders for HALO 3 already in the USA and around 2million in Europe!!!!

The game must really be that bad for it to have that many pre-orders eh?

Just because the PC has not had any decent games since Half Life 2 and FarCry and console gamers have been getting all the best games it seems you are probably upset on maybe having wasted a ton load of cash for nothing.

PC gamers will NEVER have any games that are fully optimised for their systems because developers have to cater for many different setups - PS3 and 360 will get superb looking games and I am willing to bet something as awesome looking as Crysis in a couple of years time if not sooner thanks to the Unreal 3 engine.

User is offline   Towelie2k4 

I find it very interesting that the mere mention of Halo on the Internet instantly incites a riot. :)

Anyway, I liked it. It's not the best shooter I've ever played, but it is one of the better console shooters I've ever played. Plus, it has a coop mode. That fact alone invokes a "Must buy!" reaction from me.

Overall, I think the biggest thing that made it an enjoyable experience for me was the music, especially in Halo 2.

View PostTowelie2k4, on Jun 20 2007, 10:22 AM, said:

I find it very interesting that the mere mention of Halo on the Internet instantly incites a riot. :)

Anyway, I liked it. It's not the best shooter I've ever played, but it is one of the better console shooters I've ever played. Plus, it has a coop mode. That fact alone invokes a "Must buy!" reaction from me.

Overall, I think the biggest thing that made it an enjoyable experience for me was the music, especially in Halo 2.

It intices a riot because the userbase for HALO is in the millions thats why I dont ever see any other FPS get the same reaction or the same publicity because there is no other FPS on this planet that is as big as HALO.

Calm down man, people are allowed to not like something if they want. And just because a game has a lot of players world over, or it has 4 million pre-orders... doesn't make it a great game.

HALO is a good "console FPS", given the fact that console gamers haven't had a truly great FPS since GoldenEye on N64. But as a PC shooter, it looks dated... and yes the level design was great in the beginning of the game, while outdoors.
But the indoor sections are poorly done copy and paste (you can even see poorly aligned seams where the textures don't match up) that gets boring and redundant.

Okay, haven't had a decent PC shooter since HL2? What? PREY, FEAR, STALKER, Dark Messiah, Call of Juarez.... I could keep listing games I've enjoyed more than HL2.
And yes, it is harder to code for PC games because gamers around the world have a wide variety of system configurations... where as consoles are all the same. All 360's are the same (though unstable) all PS3's are the same.... it's easier to optimize for one system as opposed to many.

Just remember, you like the game... that's great for you, but most PC gamers don't like and won't like HALO because it feels like a step back from what we're used to.
But that's okay, us not liking the game does not hurt you in any way. To each his own. :)

User is offline   Micki! 

• Candy Consumptionist & Administrator

I agree with Damen here...

I'll be forced to be locking/deleting this thread, if people start getting fanboyish and start mocking games...

In fact, this thread is not good as to begin with... the thread title is pretty offensive to certain fans, and it'll likely only lead to fanboy fights, and a lock/deletion...

I keep this thread alive though, because i know most here are able to come with constructive critism to games, and not just mocking, or mentioning superiority... (Damien again, is a good example)

So let's keep the place alive should we..?
Accept others options, wether they are positive, or negative towads the game... and refrain from sounding too harsh/offensive with your opinions

Moving on...

Its not about being a fanboy I have a decent PC setup and have played my share of PC games but giving that I am not made of heaps of money I cannot keep upgrading my PC to play a game now that looks in comparison to consoles near enough the same.

On one hand you pick on the graphics on HALO into such detail you forget games like PREY and F.E.A.R. also have their own faults on visuals.

Its not ALL about graphics its about the gameplay as well and HALO's gameplay along with everything else is fantastic.

Fair enough if you dont like HALO I am sorry you were not GIFTED to enjoy it as its far better than anything else out there thats for sure.

I have played many FPS games and I dont have time to sit here making threads like this to make negative remarks about each one of them into such detail.

If you dont like HALO then tough luck as you will be missing out on what is going to be the biggest game of all time that is

HALO 3!

User is offline   laffer 

You're full of shit. Halo might have been a decent game but it had flaws and it's certainly not fantastic in every way like you seem to think.
The level design was very repetitive for one thing.

And Halo 3 will be big in the sense that it will sell a lot of copies but it will certainly *not* be the best game of all time.. best selling perhaps.. nah I doubt that as well.

View Postlaffer, on Jun 21 2007, 11:44 AM, said:

You're full of shit. Halo might have been a decent game but it had flaws and it's certainly not fantastic in every way like you seem to think.
The level design was very repetitive for one thing.

And Halo 3 will be big in the sense that it will sell a lot of copies but it will certainly *not* be the best game of all time.. best selling perhaps.. nah I doubt that as well.

No please dont confuse me with what is YOU.

There are NO flaws in HALO 1 at all, HALO 2 was weak on single player and had many problems online but is still one of the top games played online still today!

Halo is a unique game only for the blessed, to speak negativley like you are and the others towards HALO is very sinful.

User is offline   laffer 

OK, I get it. You're just joking.

User is offline   Micki! 

• Candy Consumptionist & Administrator

This is enough, i said in my last post here that this thread could be saved if there wouldn't be any "fanboyish" comments whatsoever... Let me get this straight, my view of fanboyism isn't using all-caps and hating everything else...
It's not accepting other peoples opinions, negative or not

I'm locking this thread now, it shouldn't have been created in the first place
and i don't want to see something similar being posted in the future

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options