Duke4.net Forums: Release date in Feb 2011? I don't think so... - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Release date in Feb 2011? I don't think so...

User is offline   Raziel 

I seriously doubt this 'confirmed' release date of Feb 1st, 2011 since it makes no sense to release it then... I can't see them targeting a release date 2 months after Christmas. If it was this close to release they would have pushed for a Christmas release since that is the big buying season. Secondly, if it was this close to release, but not quite ready for xmas, they would have waited the additional 2 months to release it on April fools day like they originally intended to...

Maybe I'm wrong, but this release date doesn't make sense to me... Most likely I think the release date will be April 1st, mid-year, or Christmas 2011. Of course I hope I'm wrong since I want to play this game just like everyone else, I just think it's a strange release date. Also, I have not seen any official announcements actually confirming that release date, so it's a bit suspect...

Was this date actually confirmed, and by who? (don't give me the name of a retailer since they don't actually know, they're only putting dates next to products to get people to put their money down for it)

Raz.

User is offline   Alithinos 

View PostRaziel, on Sep 25 2010, 09:25 AM, said:

I seriously doubt this 'confirmed' release date of Feb 1st, 2011 since it makes no sense to release it then... I can't see them targeting a release date 2 months after Christmas. If it was this close to release they would have pushed for a Christmas release since that is the big buying season. Secondly, if it was this close to release, but not quite ready for xmas, they would have waited the additional 2 months to release it on April fools day like they originally intended to...

Maybe I'm wrong, but this release date doesn't make sense to me... Most likely I think the release date will be April 1st, mid-year, or Christmas 2011. Of course I hope I'm wrong since I want to play this game just like everyone else, I just think it's a strange release date. Also, I have not seen any official announcements actually confirming that release date, so it's a bit suspect...

Was this date actually confirmed, and by who? (don't give me the name of a retailer since they don't actually know, they're only putting dates next to products to get people to put their money down for it)

Raz.

I think they will not launch it at Christmas because that would be the time Crysis 2 is coming out,and people (especially console players) are so excited that "the game with the best graphics" is coming at their consoles that all those graphic whores are going to make too much noise about it.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostRaziel, on Sep 25 2010, 10:25 AM, said:

I seriously doubt this 'confirmed' release date of Feb 1st, 2011 since it makes no sense to release it then... I can't see them targeting a release date 2 months after Christmas.

Bayonetta, Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2, Dante's Inferno, Heavy Rain, No More Heroes 2.

User is offline   Raziel 

View PostLotan, on Sep 25 2010, 12:51 AM, said:

Bayonetta, Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2, Dante's Inferno, Heavy Rain, No More Heroes 2.

Point taken, but I still doubt it is this close to release... Still, would be awesome if I'm wrong and it does come out in the first quarter of 2011. I think we've all been waiting a rather long time for this game... so whether it ends up being good or bad, I'll be happy and relieved once it's finally out. Until then, part of me still wonders whether it will really ship this time. I mean, every time in the past when it seemed close, nothing happened.

I do think they should get the PAX demo out into the hands of the masses as soon as possible though... Once everyone's had a chance to play it, I'm sure everyone, myself included will believe it's actually on track this time.

Even Amazon.com picked up on the february 1th date:)

i m sure it is not a coincidence and i would expect a demo around Christmas .

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

Amazon has had the release date of DNF as January 1, [next year] since the late 90's. They cannot be trusted.

Well they didn't have the same release date as gamestop until a few days ago:)

they had no release date.

I m talking after september 3rd obviously, mr.

User is offline   Martin 

It better not come out until after June, otherwise I'm going to fail my degree.

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

View PostMartin, on Sep 25 2010, 03:37 PM, said:

It better not come out until after June, otherwise I'm going to fail my degree.

Who know's you might learn something from playing the game XD.

User is offline   Martin 

Lol dont! The only reason I'm not getting Black Ops is so that I can do work instead. I couldn't have that kind of self-control and patience with DNF. I'm getting it the day before it comes out, regardless of date.

View PostSpirrwell, on Sep 25 2010, 09:02 PM, said:

Who know's you might learn something from playing the game XD.

Badass one-liners, handing money to strippers to make them show their boobs or do even more for you, smoking cigars, drinking beer, shooting aliens, get a blowjob from twins, pick up every weapon you find and blast anything on your way, piss in toilets to make you feel better ( if i'm right, everyone does that ), play pool whenever you can, drive monster trucks to splat any alien on your way ?

Sure, he will learn from this game, no doubt

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostLuther Blissett, on Sep 25 2010, 08:35 PM, said:

i m sure it is not a coincidence and i would expect a demo around Christmas .

I don't expect demo at all. We still can't get the trailer.

User is offline   Honza 

Like I said before - when GBX discussed the release date with retailers they all offered some kind of release date, let's say Steam 10th Jan 2011, Amazon 28th Jan 2011, Gamespot 1st February 2011. GBX said: Thank you for your recommendations, we will think it through. And they left. No retailer at this point know the release date so they put on their web pages their own offer and we can be quite sure that one of those offered dates is gonna be the release date, after it's decided which one it is.

This post has been edited by Honza: 25 September 2010 - 02:42 PM

User is offline   Honza 

btw I think that's the reason why the trailer is taking so long - at first they promised trailer soon, but maybe after laugh the release date "2011" did, they reconsidered it and they're planning & putting the release date in it.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Amazon sent me an e-mail yesterday with an updated ship date for DNF: February 03 2011.

View PostHonza, on Sep 26 2010, 12:44 AM, said:

btw I think that's the reason why the trailer is taking so long - at first they promised trailer soon, but maybe after laugh the release date "2011" did, they reconsidered it and they're planning & putting the release date in it.

that doesnt make any sense? why would they waste time with that when they can write it with big fat letters right beside the trailer whenever they want? or eventually edit the trailer later?

User is offline   Honza 

View PostTetsuo, on Sep 26 2010, 01:30 AM, said:

Amazon sent me an e-mail yesterday with an updated ship date for DNF: February 03 2011.

Thanks for the update, now it seems that the February 2011 it is...

User is offline   Honza 

View PostJhect, on Sep 26 2010, 01:49 AM, said:

that doesnt make any sense? why would they waste time with that when they can write it with big fat letters right beside the trailer whenever they want? or eventually edit the trailer later?

You're forgetting something - if they promise a release date, then they can't postpone it for a single day - it's DNF, nobody believes them...

And of course they can't edit the trailer later you mean like releasing the trailer today:
... trailer... release date.. drum roll please... "2011"

weeks after:
... trailer... release date.. drum roll please... "02/01/2011"

no, .. no way :)

While half of the world is gonna think that it is 2nd January while it's 1st February :)

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostHonza, on Sep 26 2010, 09:14 AM, said:

When did they promise the trailer soon?

User is offline   Honza 

View PostMicky C, on Sep 26 2010, 06:39 AM, said:

When did they promise the trailer soon?

as far as I remember that b*tch AKA community manager from PAX promised something like that, while she walked away with camera out of that showroom.

View PostRaziel, on Sep 24 2010, 11:25 PM, said:

Raz.

You know I LOVE games coming out for Xmas and EVERY one of my friend's was upset with all the delays. I LOVE waking up on Xmas morning and finally playing the games I've been waiting for. So I hope DNF is released in time for Xmas.

User is offline   Sebastian 

View PostHonza, on Sep 26 2010, 01:27 AM, said:

as far as I remember that b*tch AKA community manager from PAX promised something like that, while she walked away with camera out of that showroom.

Is it really necessary to call her bitch? Christ, how old are you?

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostRusty Nails, on Sep 26 2010, 11:46 PM, said:

Yeah, someone's a little misogynistic.

Somebody in that video feed did say something about a trailer if my memory recalls it. Like sometime after PAX was over, but nobody gave anything specific more than "After PAX" basically. IIRC. My guess would be maybe after they are done showing at that one in Europe they'll maybe release the trailer..

This post has been edited by Jinroh: 26 September 2010 - 07:54 AM

View PostRusty Nails, on Sep 26 2010, 07:46 AM, said:

Sorry but I am with Honza on this one.
I just so happen to consider the woman from pax, very annoying too.
I called her bitch many times when I watched the live stream.
I fully understand Honza's view on this because she did tend to be in the way and have a loud and annoying voice while she was repeating the same thing over and over again.
Her dizzy cameraman with his bad quality camera, the lag in the live stream and the broken microphone that acted up 70% of the time didn't help the presentation either.
If done professionally, that live stream wasn't supposed to be longer than 20 minutes.
I could have done all of that presentation much better just being alone with a microphone and a cheap tripod camera.
The fact that they've looped the same things so many times and still didn't manage to capture the entire pax demo from start to finish, is a bit sad.

You don't have a working rhetoric when you say that Honza should be of a certain age in order to call a woman "bitch"
You can call a woman "bitch" at any age for various reasons even if it's not the nicest thing you can do, sometimes situations push you to say this and much more.
Attacking him seems a bit hypocrite since I am sure nobody here is a saint nor a maturity monument. I don't really think that it's needed to attack him for calling her a bitch.

On the other hand, I fully agree that she is not to be used as the main target for everything that went wrong and displeased the DNF fans at the DNF release on PAX.
The overall presentation was horrible to begin with, so just putting the blame on one person just because she happened to be annoying while trying her best, isn't going to solve the problem.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 26 September 2010 - 02:03 PM

User is offline   Tetsuo 

View PostMr.Deviance, on Sep 26 2010, 01:47 PM, said:

You don't have a working rhetoric when you say that Honza should be of a certain age in order to call a woman "bitch"
You can call a woman "bitch" at any age for various reasons even if it's not the nicest thing you can do, sometimes situations push you to say this and much more.
Attacking him seems a bit hypocrite since I am sure nobody here is a saint nor a maturity monument. I don't really think that it's needed to attack him for calling her a bitch.

Calling her a bitch does make you seem less mature and that was Jinroh's point. Also misogynistic means you hate women and that's also what it seemed like to that person. I do think this kind of reaction to the woman in the video is extreme as I didn't have that kind of reaction watching the video. She even tried to tell the camera man to focus more on the game and not on her. Also about her "promise" she's hardly high on the totem pole when it comes to having any control as to when the trailer comes out and she was probably just saying what was told to her at that point.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 26 September 2010 - 02:38 PM

User is offline   Sebastian 

View PostMr.Deviance, on Sep 26 2010, 01:47 PM, said:

I fully understand Honza's view on this because she did tend to be in the way and have a loud and annoying voice while she was repeating the same thing over and over again.

They were looping/repeating the same thing over and over again so the people back home wouldn't miss out in case they were late to the stream. You don't need to be a working rethoric to figure that one out either.

You're right by calling the cameraman dizzy though. Holding up a 25 pound broadcast camera (assuming it is) on your shoulders for hours straight is an incredible ordeal. Holding it for 45 minutes (with quick breaks included) during a concert have done awful shit to mine.

This post has been edited by Rusty Nails: 26 September 2010 - 03:53 PM

User is offline   Honza 

View PostRusty Nails, on Sep 27 2010, 01:26 AM, said:

They were looping/repeating the same thing over and over again so the people back home wouldn't miss out in case they were late to the stream. You don't need to be a working rethoric to figure that one out either.

You're right by calling the cameraman dizzy though. Holding up a 25 pound broadcast camera (assuming it is) on your shoulders for hours straight is an incredible ordeal. Holding it for 45 minutes (with quick breaks included) during a concert have done awful shit to mine.

I called her b*tch not because I think that she sells her body :) but because:
1/ I can't remember her name and don't really want to remember it
2/ If I called her b*tch anyone who watched that online show agreed that she is not our favorite one and everyone knows who we're talking about. If I said "Jane Doe" it wouldn't help anyone.

Dizzy cam was serious problem which could have been solved like 100x ways - even in live war coverage is camera not that shaky.

After all he could sit and rest for about 4minutes during the trailer playtime :) it really wasn't our call to cruise around over and over :) and excuse we go for another round because of ppl coming late is no excuse - I'm either: on time (my case) or watching record from archive later.

User is offline   ferran275 

View PostHonza, on Sep 27 2010, 08:00 AM, said:

I called her b*tch not because I think that she sells her body :) but because:
1/ I can't remember her name and don't really want to remember it
2/ If I called her b*tch anyone who watched that online show agreed that she is not our favorite one and everyone knows who we're talking about. If I said "Jane Doe" it wouldn't help anyone.

Dizzy cam was serious problem which could have been solved like 100x ways - even in live war coverage is camera not that shaky.

After all he could sit and rest for about 4minutes during the trailer playtime :) it really wasn't our call to cruise around over and over :) and excuse we go for another round because of ppl coming late is no excuse - I'm either: on time (my case) or watching record from archive later.

think about why it was so lame. how many people actually KNEW about the reveal? a handful of people at MOST, so planning for it really wasn't handled in the best of ways, its hard to make secretive projects turn out well, just a lot of sub-prime planning makes it turn out kind of muddled

User is offline   Raziel 

Getting this thread back on topic... I just always thought games releasing in Feb are usually the ones that didn't make the XMAS bracket... either because too many other good stuff is coming out which would compete, or the game isn't ready yet.

I have to admit though, since the game content is getting a bit dated, it is in their interests to get it done and out the door as soon as humanly possible... That's just my opinion though, since they're not going to be able to overhaul everything in under a year's effort. So the best thing they can do now is make it 'good enough' and get it out there...

User is offline   Honza 

View PostRaziel, on Sep 28 2010, 09:43 AM, said:

Getting this thread back on topic... I just always thought games releasing in Feb are usually the ones that didn't make the XMAS bracket... either because too many other good stuff is coming out which would compete, or the game isn't ready yet.

I have to admit though, since the game content is getting a bit dated, it is in their interests to get it done and out the door as soon as humanly possible... That's just my opinion though, since they're not going to be able to overhaul everything in under a year's effort. So the best thing they can do now is make it 'good enough' and get it out there...

the question is - is "good enough" enough for paying customers?

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options