Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 6:8 [RELEASED]

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Here goes nothing....

Third map in the series

Made with, and best played with 32 bit polymost. Not tested with HRP, 8 bit, or any mods.

http://msdn.duke4.net/hotduke68.shtml

The screenshots are very old, I forgot to make new ones while testing it

This post has been edited by Forge: 03 December 2011 - 07:38 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I like the spritework in the third shot. :)

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Wow, well done man! Thats got some really nice detail and locations in it. :)

User is offline   Forge 

Thank you. The compliments are appreciated.

Props to the beta-tester for having a good eye for detail as well.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I was going to reply over at DNR, but the forum there is so slow that I gave up and came here.

I have just finished playing it, and I can say without hesitation that this is your best map. More importantly, it is an excellent map. Your previous efforts had good parts in them, but this is your first map where the design came together at all levels with no major flaws. It works both on the small scale (the individual rooms are well designed, detailed, etc.) as well as the big scale (the overall structure is impressive, fits together well and feels like a real location). This is a map where the player must pay attention to details in order to know where to go next, but it is never unfair or arbitrary, and you can't screw yourself by breaking something needed to finish a puzzle, unlike in your previous maps. However, there are a few places where the player has to proceed by entering a vertical shaft that has just opened, and it would be nice if they were easier to see; I missed them a few times and wasted some time wandering around.

The gameplay in this map consists more of exploration than fighting. The player doesn't get to cut loose and kill a lot of enemies except at the very end (and even that was only a medium sized battle). This was somewhat of a disappointment to me, considering the large size of the map. I played it on Come Get Some, and the number of enemies seemed more suitable for Let's Rock imo. That's not really a criticism, though, it's more a matter of personal taste.

It's a great map. Everyone should play it.

EDIT: One more thing I forgot to mention. There seems to be a problem playing the midi (which is based on "Let's Go" by The Cars). There is a delay of several minutes between the time that the music ends and it starts again. This may be due to there being a lot of dead time at the end of the midi, but I haven't checked.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 22 September 2010 - 02:40 PM

User is offline   Mark 

The midi does have about 45 seconds of silence at the end.

Almost 1700 textures used. Thats the most I've seen lately. Looks good from the little I have tried so far.

This post has been edited by Marked: 22 September 2010 - 03:54 PM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostDeeperThought, on Sep 22 2010, 05:35 PM, said:

The gameplay in this map consists more of exploration than fighting. The player doesn't get to cut loose and kill a lot of enemies except at the very end (and even that was only a medium sized battle). This was somewhat of a disappointment to me, considering the large size of the map. I played it on Come Get Some, and the number of enemies seemed more suitable for Let's Rock imo. That's not really a criticism, though, it's more a matter of personal taste.

EDIT: One more thing I forgot to mention. There seems to be a problem playing the midi (which is based on "Let's Go" by The Cars). There is a delay of several minutes between the time that the music ends and it starts again. This may be due to there being a lot of dead time at the end of the midi, but I haven't checked.

You're just bloodthirsty, that's all :)

I fixed the mid and re-uploaded the map.

This post has been edited by Forge: 28 September 2010 - 12:31 PM

User is offline   Awesomebob 

Awesome map. I had fun.

One pet peeve was struck upon, though: Over use of crack sprites w/o them doing anything. I wasted many a pipebomb on useless cracks. I guess the "See crack, blow it up" is just too hardcoded into me :)

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Great Map!
I didn't find the RPG which gave me a hard time near the end. I played it using DukePlus and there was a place I could not reach so I had to use DNCLIP to get into it. Although it works in normal Duke I think that should be fixed.

Btw. for those who might have missed it, there is another recent map release worth playing which you can find at MSDN : Anarxiticalcity.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0001.jpg

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

The optional mantling-with-shorter-jumps feature in DukePlus does not work flawlessly with every map, and apparently this is one of those cases. It's not a map bug. A "fix" would probably consist of inserting a sprite into the map which forces the player to use normal jumping; but you can achieve the same result using the DukePlus menu.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostForge, on Sep 22 2010, 03:05 PM, said:

Made with, and best played with 32 bit polymost. Not tested with HRP, 8 bit, or any mods.

View PostLeoD, on Sep 23 2010, 05:31 AM, said:

Great Map!
I didn't find the RPG which gave me a hard time near the end. I played it using DukePlus and there was a place I could not reach so I had to use DNCLIP to get into it. Although it works in normal Duke I think that should be fixed.

Anyway, thank you and everyone else for the compliments and observations.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Looks pretty sweet!

User is offline   RazorZ 

View PostDeeperThought, on Sep 23 2010, 01:35 AM, said:

I was going to reply over at DNR, but the forum there is so slow that I gave up and came here.
However, there are a few places where the player has to proceed by entering a vertical shaft that has just opened, and it would be nice if they were easier to see; I missed them a few times and wasted some time wandering around.

Thanks for that info, DeeperThought. It helped me out after putting blue keycard into it´s slot. I also ended up wandering before realizing what an ass to do. :)

This was once again one of those maps that left player to beg for more. :) It was superb map, facility was filled with nifty spritework and detailing, gameplay was fluent and versatile and overall design was well put together. There could´ve been bit more outdoor locations, though. Music was perhaps too happy at times, but while being in the outdoors, it was nice hear it around. :)

User is offline   Forge 

*SPOILER*

When you use the blue key card, turn around and look at the view screen to see what opened.

Thanks for the compliments and observations.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on Sep 25 2010, 10:31 AM, said:

*SPOILER*

When you use the blue key card, turn around and look at the view screen to see what opened.

Thanks for the compliments and observations.

I did, and I did not notice the open shaft. It is hard to see from the view screen. I decided to go down to the area shown by the screen anyway, but I managed to miss the opening for a while.

User is offline   RazorZ 

View PostDeeperThought, on Sep 25 2010, 08:38 PM, said:

I did, and I did not notice the open shaft. It is hard to see from the view screen. I decided to go down to the area shown by the screen anyway, but I managed to miss the opening for a while.

Same here. This may start to sound like nitpicking, but it was the only moment I got lost for too long. :)

But anyway, it´s at least as great as your previous map in some aspects. Nice visual look, still some bugs and unfinished things, but gameplay was better with delightful, consistent theme and almost fluent gameplay. :) I just can´t wait to see your next map (remember to think about the storyline and overall theme, too) and I hope Mikko will review your map as soon as possible (if he has time). The amount of releases is decreasing at times a lot, so it´s always nice to see new releases. Good luck! ;) I´ll give this wonderful map as high score as 93 and be happy with it! :(

Oh, and by the way, I think it would be great idea to add bug fixes and other improvements to your maps when the episode is about to be released (if it will come out some day). That way people don´t feel they are replaying the map so much, when maps offer something new. You can make your choice, but I think some of us don´t bother playing improved map as one piece, I would take the whole fucking package. :)

This post has been edited by RazorZ: 25 September 2010 - 10:03 AM

User is offline   Forge 

The "spoiler" was for anyone else who wants to play it.

Thanks for pointing it out. Something I need to improve on if I map again. :)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options