Duke4.net Forums: When was the riskiest time you played Duke Nukem 3D? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

When was the riskiest time you played Duke Nukem 3D?  "share your stories"

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I thought this could be an interesting idea for a thread, as we all know how much fun Duke is and that we'd go through great pains to play it.

Well here's my story: I go to one of those uptight religious privately owned schools in Australia, and one day I went into the school chapel, during lesson time, right up front in the forbidden area, whipped out my iPhone and slammed through Hollywood Holocaust :)

When I was fourteen years old and I had first been moved into the care of Social Services, I wasn't allowed to play BBFC-18 rated games (despite the fact I had already done so for years). If they caught you they would dispose (as in, snap and throw in trash - they took my Blood box and disc!) of the discs and take the computer off you for a week (and use it themselves in the office, the bastards)

I moved my computer into the dining room on the desk next to the apartments office and fired up Duke Nukem 3D with the volume as high as it would go, they would hopefully think I was playing that "Annoying Keen game again!" and leave me alone. Me and a few of the other lads in the home blasted through E1L1, then came E1L2 - a year or so before I had made my own nude-stripper patch. I just sat there saying "this is a bit better than your stupid crash bandicoot isn't it?" as these lads stood there staring at the babes, it later occured to me that because they had been in care so long they had likely never seen a woman like that before.

Somehow we didn't get caught that time, about a week later I was playing it in my room and a carer walked in and asked me what rating the game was, I said 12 but she didn't believe me and took the disc out of the drive and broke it right in front of me - what I didn't let on (having had Doom taken away already) was that I had put a scratched backup disc in there and written "Douk nookum free-dee" on it after loosening the bath panel and stuffing the original one under there with a few other things... I bet in the two homes I lived in there are still things there under baths, in walls, inside light fittings and switches that nobody will ever find!

Obviously I had tampered with it so I did not need discs, I also had a second hard drive where there was a copy of the games, this could be turned on or off by hitting a switch with your finger that you could just reach through the ventilation holes where the front panel overhangs at the bottom, this did of course require restarting the computer but it allowed me to let them look at my hard drive without ever figuring out there was a second on in there that could be switched on and the games copied back over. They never did find out how I kept ressurecting dead games, even after they took EasyRecovery off me, ROFL :)

This post has been edited by High Treason: 19 September 2010 - 03:37 PM

User is offline   Piano Man 

I installed Duke Nukem 3D in the school computers when I was in Year 8. Used to play it in the library every lunchtime. Even had to bring in the 'How to get the adult version' instructions since I live in Australia and it was modified at the time to not show the guts, carnage, booooobies.

What a time :)

User is offline   Stabs 

lookout Hardcore McGraw there is a rebellion going on in here :)

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

I'm sure at some point while I was grounded I went and played Duke3D on my computer...but I don't remember a specific time.

Actually, I lie: the riskiest time I've ever played Duke 3D has to be recently when I should have been doing homework...like right now.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Well now that you mention it, I'm actually viewing this thread on my phone in class right now too :) (I can afford to do it, I'm way ahead)

But I tend to waste more time in mapster than playing duke these days, although I play a bit of attrition every now and then, the quality of those user maps is amazing

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

Not sure if this counts, but my phone's e-mail notification sound was set to "I've got balls of steel". I was sitting on the toilet at work, when it went off, rather loud. Rather big restroom with great acoustics.
A couple of others were washing hands... They kept repeating "i've got balls of steel" all day long. Awkward lolz.

User is offline   Martin 

View PostHigh Treason, on Sep 20 2010, 12:29 AM, said:

When I was fourteen years old and I had first been moved into the care of Social Services, I wasn't allowed to play BBFC-18 rated games (despite the fact I had already done so for years). If they caught you they would dispose (as in, snap and throw in trash - they took my Blood box and disc!) of the discs and take the computer off you for a week (and use it themselves in the office, the bastards)

Etc..

I thought that was an awesome story! My own would probably be the time when I was a kid in our local town centre. There was a computer shop there, and this one day I went in. They had a bunch of desktops set up as examples of ones they had for sale. I stood at one, browsed the files, and there was Duke Nukem 3D (probably just the shareware). I was a very young child. So anyways, I started playing it. After a while the shop assistant came over and goes "YOU CAN'T PLAY THAT!" and chucked me out. To this day I don't know whether he chucked me out because I wasn't supposed to be using their shops to freely play games, if it was because I was way too young for Duke, if it was because I clearly had no money, or a mix of all of the above.

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

Mine was probably just a few months ago. I have this community center near where I live that I used to go to on a daily basis. This community center is connected to my school's network, so it had a lot of blocked stuff which made it harder to play network games. I did manage to find a way to create admin accounts, create password protected files (that could still be deleted for some damn reason), blank passwords of the admins on those computers, and etc. I would create websites for use as a proxy, and am working on creating one inside the school by hacking one of their routers, or the main computer that runs everything. I also put Quake III on those computers along with Duke3D, that's the only reason people were going, everybody knew me, until one day I got caught because some idiot was wondering how to do something, I showed him, and I got kicked out for the day. I plan on one day resurrecting this and possibly getting remote access to the computers somehow. God it's good to be such a smart ass.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I brought in Duke to my communications class last year, and we would play it all hour. My friends would always get stuck and within two key presses I'd have them in the next room. It got to the point where I was circling around the whole class helping people figure out what to do. Just goes to show Duke definitely has a future in this generation. We once did a little skit with Duke sounds being played in the background while the game was open. I also once made a little area in Mapster for extra credit. :)

Not sure if you could call this a risky situation though, as my teacher obviously didn't care much if he let us get away with all this stuff.

• tile 1018

View PostRadar1013, on Sep 20 2010, 06:36 PM, said:

I brought in Duke to my communications class last year, and we would play it all hour. My friends would always get stuck and within two key presses I'd have them in the next room. It got to the point where I was circling around the whole class helping people figure out what to do. Just goes to show Duke definitely has a future in this generation. We once did a little skit with Duke sounds being played in the background while the game was open. I also once made a little area in Mapster for extra credit. :)

Not sure if you could call this a risky situation though, as my teacher obviously didn't care much if he let us get away with all this stuff.

I can perfectly relate to that, I had to do that when I had it on my community center's computers. I went there 1 year after I put the games on there, and everybody loved it, we would play for HOURS at a time, that's how fun it used to be. The people that prohibit us from doing things are idiots.

Hmm, I remember when I was doing my IT course at college (07-08) I walked into class and whacked the volume up for the big projector and proceeded to crack the C$ share on the teachers computer and make a shortcut to Mplayer2.exe (batch files were disabled and I didn't have any compilers for other programming languages nor could I be bothered to hack the registry) and then setting it up to play the 2001 DNF teaser fullscreen while another shortcut exploited GenevaLogic Vision 6 to lock the teachers mouse and keyboard until the video had finished. I later did the same with the 2007 teaser after figuring out how to download it and convert it to mepg1.

This was just some of the crap I did, I used to finish my work hours ahead of most of the class and they wouldn't let you leave or play games, just sit there and do nothing for three hours. I had an anti-college website at one point and they even found out, problem was the teacher got his copy from my USB stick without asking so it was not valid evidence - my freewebs site has a remnant of it, the forums even have a post from the college staff. My friend got kicked out for making a video of the teacher with the ned flanders song playing and putting it on youtube (that teacher looked like ned flanders) - after they suspended him I made a program that flashed a picture of Duke Nukem shooting Ned Flanders onto the entire screen for a split second at random intervals, he know something was wrong but couldn't reproduce it so I did not get told off that time - everything else that happened i got the blame even if I didn't do it (though I usually did).

On a non-Duke related note, I remember figuring out that if I changed the shortcuts to things to open with "runas" I could cheat the print credit system, usually by using a dummy account I set up, but most of the time I just charged it to the teachers account.

Edit: Actually, this might be a good idea for a thread in the general discussion forum "What mischief have you done to other people's computers" I'm sure I can't be the only one that spent a lot of time pulling pranks on the educational establishments.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 20 September 2010 - 06:04 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

I would want someone like Spirrwell or you in my network. Smartasses are good for testing security. Although, there are limits of course. But smartasses might become a good security auditor.

This post has been edited by Lotan: 20 September 2010 - 07:10 PM

User is offline   Stabs 

heh i use to use win genocide on the schools computers, much fun watching 20 monitors turn into BSOD's :)

@lotan; I actually wrote a long letter to "IT Services" explaining the flaws and also how to remove them, unfortunately on my last day I attempted to crash the network (in a very epic fashion a row of 12 library computers made up the words "High Treason" - one letter per screen, I didn't count on some of them being off (Hi Tre s n), but meh. It took about a month to set that up.) so I was never able to submit it to them... If I ever go back there I want to put my "trigger disc" as I called it, back in and see if anything is fixed and if my task is still there, if it is I would send my letter in at the end of that course - no sooner.

@DanM; Is that the one where you enable the registry key and hit CTRL, Scroll-Lock, Scroll Lock?

Meh, I'm gonna start that thread before I derail this one, by all means ignore it if you wish.

User is offline   Stabs 

nah it was like win nuke with ip ranges x.x.x.1 to x.x.x.255 naturally you wanted to exclude yourself and press the fun button, if only i could of been at the school office when that went down.

User is offline   Kathy 

So, what did it do exactly?

User is offline   Stabs 

exploited some network flaw in windows 98 that caused a BSOD and you had to reset the pc to get the network back, nothing damaging

Netbus was pure gold in computer class, turning up ppls speakers and making their pc play a sound file, open and close the cd-rom drive, you are gay messages with OK as the only option, ahh the good old days

• tile 1018

Mac is such an obscure platform, so I think that if the schools switched to Macs, it'd be a lot harder to hack. Eventually it would get it easier, because a lot of people don't use Macs, once they do, there's more exploits that will come out. It is impossible to make something un-hackable. Someone with a big head and years of free time could hack anything.

my primary school used a bunch of Apple systems... I can't remember which model.

In theory, because Apple runs a *nix kernel, it would not be too difficult to take the many hacks for linux over to it, I think I would probably just port Suicide Linux as opposed to hacking anything.

User is offline   DerickVonD 

View PostHigh Treason, on Sep 19 2010, 07:29 PM, said:

I moved my computer into the dining room on the desk next to the apartments office and fired up Duke Nukem 3D with the volume as high as it would go, they would hopefully think I was playing that "Annoying Keen game again!" and leave me alone. Me and a few of the other lads in the home blasted through E1L1, then came E1L2 - a year or so before I had made my own nude-stripper patch. I just sat there saying "this is a bit better than your stupid crash bandicoot isn't it?" as these lads stood there staring at the babes, it later occured to me that because they had been in care so long they had likely never seen a woman like that before.

Somehow we didn't get caught that time, about a week later I was playing it in my room and a carer walked in and asked me what rating the game was, I said 12 but she didn't believe me and took the disc out of the drive and broke it right in front of me - what I didn't let on (having had Doom taken away already) was that I had put a scratched backup disc in there and written "Douk nookum free-dee" on it after loosening the bath panel and stuffing the original one under there with a few other things... I bet in the two homes I lived in there are still things there under baths, in walls, inside light fittings and switches that nobody will ever find!

Obviously I had tampered with it so I did not need discs, I also had a second hard drive where there was a copy of the games, this could be turned on or off by hitting a switch with your finger that you could just reach through the ventilation holes where the front panel overhangs at the bottom, this did of course require restarting the computer but it allowed me to let them look at my hard drive without ever figuring out there was a second on in there that could be switched on and the games copied back over. They never did find out how I kept ressurecting dead games, even after they took EasyRecovery off me, ROFL :)

Man you should go back to them and say "Hey this is for all those games you broke." and punch them right square in the face.

I would, but the only reason I had to move to another home is because they shut down, I wouldn't worry too much, I broke enouh windows while I was there and succeeded in demolishing a reasonable amount of my bedroom wall (which was brick - didn't know I could kick that hard, but my foot hurt for ages after that).

Well, I'm 19 and have been playing the game for basically as long as I can remember - I think from about '97 onwards was about the time when my Dad showed me the demo. Once I was given a 486/very early Pentium that was capable of playing it, I was hooked, and would often play way past my bedtime, getting myself into trouble more times than I can count.

Back when I was a teen, I would always try to play the Lunar Apocalypse levels (E2L2 and E2L5) to look at the slime babes. At that time, I had to share the computer with my brother. Occasionally I would hear him coming and would quickly close up the game before comes in. One time, I had very little time to react and closed it, but the most he saw was the installation folder before he knew what I was really looking at in the game.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options