Duke4.net Forums: Good Old Games Shuts Down - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Good Old Games Shuts Down  "And re-emerges out of Beta"

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View Post3dwizard, on Sep 20 2010, 08:06 AM, said:

Did anybody even see how crappy their pc version of Raptor: Call of the Shadows is? They have the WORST music in it ever! Raptor has never sounded so bad in all it's life!

They did that to match all subsequent Windows versions. I agree that Raptor's music sounds much better under Adlib than Windows MIDI. Fortunately, you only have to change one setting in SETUP.EXE.

Other than that, you're obviously being a troll.

User is offline   Kathy 

UPDATE 20.09.2010
First of all, we apologize everyone for the whole situation and closing GOG.com. We do understand the timing for taking down the site caused confusion and many users didn't manage to download all their games. Unfortunately we had to close the service due to business and technical reasons.

At the same time we guarantee that every user who bought any game on GOG.com will be able to download all their games with bonus materials, DRM-free and as many times as they need starting this Thursday.

The official statement from GOG.com's management concerning the ongoing events is planned on Wednesday. If you want to receive further information about GOG.com, please send an email to update_media@gog.com if you're a media representative or to update_users@gog.com if you're a user without a GOG account.

http://www.gog.com/

User is offline   3dwizard 

View PostQbix, on Sep 20 2010, 07:46 AM, said:

Weird stuff

What's up man. Nice finding you on this forum too. You really are everywhere, aren't you :)
I wasn't aware that you are also an eduke32 dev, great to see you are involved there too.

View PostTetsuo, on Sep 20 2010, 08:17 AM, said:

Arrogant much? Make blatant assumptions much? :)

1.Yes
2.No

View PostHendricks266, on Sep 20 2010, 08:29 AM, said:

They did that to match all subsequent Windows versions. I agree that Raptor's music sounds much better under Adlib than Windows MIDI. Fortunately, you only have to change one setting in SETUP.EXE.

Other than that, you're obviously being a troll.

What setup.exe? The gog version doesn't have a setup.exe as far as I know and the music is just a bunch of wav's all put in a folder and if you delete them, you get no more music.
And just because I'm saying what I think Gog is good for isn't a troll comment and I didn't mean to make anybody feel offended or something.
I have all major classic titles from dos times and I just use emus on them or I play them on my dusty classic gaming rig fully prepared to run dos and win 3.1 and 95.

This post has been edited by 3dwizard: 20 September 2010 - 10:53 AM

3dwizard said:

And just because I'm saying what I think Gog is good for isn't a troll comment and I didn't mean to make anybody feel offended or something.

No, but what I am doing is :)

3dwizard said:

I have all major classic titles from dos times and I just use emus on them or I play them on my dusty classic gaming rig fully prepared to run dos and win 3.1 and 95.

Well, my classic gaming rig is ready to run PC-DOS 4.01J with a custom shell program, I'm willing to bet I have the best DOS rig in this forum! ME FTW!!!

- Yeah, I was bored, and you know what I am like when I am bored... Still, if you like classic games you should like that anyway so I'm not totally off-topic.

User is offline   Omni 

View PostLotan, on Sep 20 2010, 11:47 AM, said:

A lot of rumors of Steam buying them out.

User is offline   WedgeBob 

Now that Gearbox owns the Duke Nukem IP, I hope they'll compile a combination of the older Duke games, and release it as a collection on Steam, then maybe see if they're nice enough to use some of those proceeds towards this. It's an outside chance, but it might work out. Time'll tell on that one.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View Post3dwizard, on Sep 20 2010, 01:48 PM, said:

What setup.exe? The gog version doesn't have a setup.exe as far as I know and the music is just a bunch of wav's all put in a folder and if you delete them, you get no more music.

Perhaps GOG sells the Windows version, in which case you should wait until MusicallyInspired gets the game RC-55'd or embark on a project to record all the MUS files in Adlib to wav.

User is offline   Martin 

Fuck Steam. DRM for the lose. There's hardly any choice left but to pirate games on PC, now. It's the only way you can get shot of those fucking DRMs.

User is offline   MarkG 

View PostMartin, on Sep 21 2010, 12:47 AM, said:

DRM for the lose.

To be fair, quite a few Steam games don't have DRM; most of the older games I've bought on Steam don't -- after all, they're basically just DOS games running in Dosbox -- and even Fallout 3 doesn't appear to have any.

But I'd still rather be able to buy everything DRM-free from GOG than buy from Steam.

User is offline   Kathy 

I don't get the big deal about Steam's drm. You just need to activate it one time online and that's it...

User is offline   Martin 

Any DRM at all is bad. That's why I don't use iTunes, I usually either pirate MP3s or buy them from Play.com. If I pay money for something, I want to not have my fair use rights infringed. If I buy a salt shaker, I don't expect to be told that I may only use it on one designated dinner plate. I know DRMs on Steam aren't usually this bad, but they're still DRMs. It feels like they're punishing people for actually buying stuff, meanwhile people who pirate said content can use it in any way they like. This picture explains what I mean. It's about music, but you could substitute it for games.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Martin: 21 September 2010 - 01:16 AM

User is online   Lunick 

Um didnt itunes get rid of drm on their music?

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostTetsuo, on Sep 20 2010, 01:17 PM, said:

Arrogant much? Make blatant assumptions much? :)

He's a twat(An elitist one at that), so what do you expect?

I built myself a dedicated DOS Gaming machine, but it's also just nice to be able to get a digital download that can run on modern machines without any extra work. Especially good if one of my lesser PC-Experienced friends wants a copy of an old game they used to enjoy, but don't have the knowledge to go through the hassle of installation, configuration, and learning the workings of the DOS Prompt.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 21 September 2010 - 06:43 AM

User is offline   3dwizard 

View PostHendricks266, on Sep 20 2010, 06:12 PM, said:

Perhaps GOG sells the Windows version, in which case you should wait until MusicallyInspired gets the game RC-55'd or embark on a project to record all the MUS files in Adlib to wav.

But that's the thing, don't you see? Why bother so much when I can use my lovely dos version inside dosbox and this way I get both proper music and if I really want, I can add what image filter I want out of an entire selection of cool filters!
Using DosBox with a nice frontend is so much better than gog imo but that's just me.

This post has been edited by 3dwizard: 21 September 2010 - 07:03 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostHendricks266, on Sep 20 2010, 08:12 PM, said:

This is on my to-do list, incidentally.

User is offline   Iggy 

Gog.com updated with a YouTube link = http://www.youtube.c...h?v=BDRvuKjissQ

This is really starting to look like a bad PR stunt.

User is offline   Kathy 

It should have been a RickRoll.

User is offline   Stabs 

So was GOG selling baulders gate cause some of those comments are all jizzed in the pants about a milisecond flashing of the baulders gate logo

System Shock 2 could only make this stunt forgivable...

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostOmni, on Sep 20 2010, 03:21 PM, said:

A lot of rumors of Steam buying them out.

Rather an interesting corporate maneuver, though it comes off as swatting a fly with a Buick.

User is offline   Kathy 

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/22/gog-not-...-with-new-site/

User is offline   Iggy 

So it's a hoax meant to be a commercial basically;
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2010/0...re-was-a-hoax/1

User is offline   Kathy 

http://www.gog.com/
http://www.youtube.c...?v=ATNd4qbNTf8

That's fucked up right there...

This post has been edited by Lotan: 22 September 2010 - 10:36 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

Why the hell this thread still isn't merged with the other one? "General gaming" subforum is the better place for this topic.

User is offline   Skulldog 

Good Old Combs, is the new name.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

I would laugh my ass off if Steam just decided to buy them out anyway in a corporate hostile takeover.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

So no DRM and no buy-out. This is good.

User is offline   Omni 

View PostDanM, on Sep 22 2010, 04:30 AM, said:

So was GOG selling baulders gate cause some of those comments are all jizzed in the pants about a milisecond flashing of the baulders gate logo

System Shock 2 could only make this stunt forgivable...

They are adding BG1 and its expansion tomorrow.

Edit: Weeeee topic merge!

This post has been edited by Omni: 22 September 2010 - 10:05 PM

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

Merged our two GoG threads.

Well, one good thing came out of this publicity stunt;
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=220655502386 Screw the GoG version, I have the real thing!

User is offline   Iggy 

The new site came up. Only to come down just as hard for "scheduled maintenance".

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options