Duke4.net Forums: Good Old Games Shuts Down - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Good Old Games Shuts Down  "And re-emerges out of Beta"

User is offline   Tetsuo 

I'm sure this is very relevant especially to this site as that was the easiest way for us to get copies of Duke3D for use with eDuke32 legitimately. Now the banner above here is practically worthless. You can no longer "Come get some! DRM-free for just $5.99!".

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

We have recently had to give serious thought to whether we could really keep GOG.com the way it is. We've debated on it for quite some time and, unfortunately, we've decided that GOG.com simply cannot remain in its current form.

That sucks. I never took advantage of them but now I kind of wish I had.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Fuck, fuck, fuck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Old_Game...re_announcement

Edit: :)

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 19 September 2010 - 12:16 PM

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Hmmmm..... someone's claiming it's a publicity stunt.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 19 September 2010 - 10:57 AM

User is offline   Rellik 

Publicity stunt? maybe..

It seems like a poorly thought out transition to a DRM model.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

Well, it is a Sunday and that isn't a work day. There also apparently isn't any official announcement from their parent company.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

http://www.gog.com/

:) Weird.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 19 September 2010 - 12:03 PM

• Weaponized Autism

Old'd.

What? I was going to buy Terminal Velocity again today (Given that my disc has some corruption) - if they don't re-open what will I do? Also if they DRM it they can get lost because then I won't be able to copy it to one of my MS-DOS systems (I don't use DOSBox if I can help it, what's the point when I have DOS?).

What a crappy couple of years for gaming this has been.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostTetsuo, on Sep 19 2010, 01:54 PM, said:

Hmmmm..... someone's claiming it's a publicity stunt.

:)

User is offline   Rellik 

View PostHigh Treason, on Sep 19 2010, 02:08 PM, said:

What? I was going to buy Terminal Velocity again today (Given that my disc has some corruption) - if they don't re-open what will I do? Also if they DRM it they can get lost because then I won't be able to copy it to one of my MS-DOS systems (I don't use DOSBox if I can help it, what's the point when I have DOS?).

Buy it off of the 3drealms website
http://www.buy3drealms.com/

fwiw, I think the gog version used DOSbox, same with with the 3DR version. once installed though, you can move the game files out to use on a regular system.

• The Sarien Encounter

Ninja'd and best'd. :)

Aye, I know they came with DOSBox, but as you say, I could move the game files accross the network to a new machine, that's what I did with Redneck Rampage.

I've calmed down anyway, I have found a physical copy for sale, I've not found one in the ten years I have been looking... What were the chances of it happening today? :)

User is offline   WedgeBob 

Yeah, this is indeed rather sad news... This was the primary source of funding for EDuke32 was it not? Are you guys looking elsewhere now for getting Duke 3D and the EDuke32 project out there and updated between now and the time DNF is released?

User is offline   Kathy 

Huh? EDuke32 needed funding? Weren't people working for free?

User is offline   Honza 

man that's bad, that was the place where I got my DN3D copy :-/.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostLotan, on Sep 20 2010, 09:57 AM, said:

Huh? EDuke32 needed funding? Weren't people working for free?

When ever someone clicked the banner above and bought a copy of DN3D a percentage of the sale would go to eduke32.com and duke4.net
I nice little deal worked out between Yatta and TX, of course this is just a brief explanation on it.

User is offline   Kathy 

I know. But I wouldn't call that "funding".

• The Sarien Encounter

I say it's a marketing ploy.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 19 September 2010 - 08:07 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

So where are people meant to get duke 3d from now? I mean legally :)

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostLotan, on Sep 19 2010, 08:15 PM, said:

I know. But I wouldn't call that "funding".

Well, it was enough money that sitting around coding EDuke32 stuff didn't seem like a humongous waste of time to my wife. :) Was it "funding?" Maybe not, but it was money that I certainly relied on to live comfortably. It's pretty much the money that buys me hardware upgrades and weed... or even the money that allows me to eat towards the end of particularly bad months.

Yes, I am poor enough that revenue from $5.99 copies of Duke was the difference between living comfortably and not. There unfortunately aren't too many jobs that are compatible with my particular brain injury and skill set.

Fortunately, Yatta and I are working up something new that should be a lot more beneficial!

User is offline   MarkG 

View PostHonza, on Sep 19 2010, 04:37 PM, said:

man that's bad, that was the place where I got my DN3D copy :-/.

Yeah, I got it from them last week.

However, the whole situation is very odd, I think there must be more to it than just shutting down.

User is offline   NY00123 

View PostMicky C, on Sep 20 2010, 08:56 AM, said:

So where are people meant to get duke 3d from now? I mean legally :)

You can still get a digital copy from 3DRealms: http://buy3drealms.com/
As for new boxed copies, I believe these aren't produced anymore.

Regarding GOG.com, I agree that things appear to be a bit unclear at this moment. Time will tell.

This post has been edited by NY00123: 20 September 2010 - 03:57 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostTX, on Sep 20 2010, 10:31 AM, said:

Well, it was enough money that sitting around coding EDuke32 stuff didn't seem like a humongous waste of time to my wife. :) Was it "funding?" Maybe not, but it was money that I certainly relied on to live comfortably. It's pretty much the money that buys me hardware upgrades and weed... or even the money that allows me to eat towards the end of particularly bad months.

Hmm, not bad. But I always felt that modding lived on enthusiasm and didn't need any funding to go on.

User is offline   3dwizard 

Why buy such old games and give the money to some random idiots that made a service called gog, when all they really do is to use third party emus to make the old games work, when I can do the same thing myself and much better actually!
Did anybody even see how crappy their pc version of Raptor: Call of the Shadows is? They have the WORST music in it ever! Raptor has never sounded so bad in all it's life!
GOG's services suck for me! The only good thing that it might be doing by existing, is to help ignorant kids find out and play old games, faster.

This post has been edited by 3dwizard: 20 September 2010 - 05:07 AM

User is offline   Eclipse 

when I can do the same thing myself and much better actually!

You can, I can and I'd say most people on this forum can - but your average person on the street can't. A lot of people looking for a bit of nostalgic gaming would be put off with finding a copy of the game on ebay and then digging through some search results to figure out what DOSBox is, let alone how to get it to work. Convenience is valuable.

Plus, at least some of that money is heading back to the developers of the game.

User is offline   Kathy 

Plus it is digital.

User is offline   Iggy 

View PostMarkG, on Sep 19 2010, 10:58 PM, said:

Yeah, I got it from them last week.

However, the whole situation is very odd, I think there must be more to it than just shutting down.

It starts to sound like a bad PR stunt;

http://kotaku.com/56...-good-old-games
http://twitter.com/gogcom

Guess we'll know more tomorrow.

User is offline   Qbix 

• EDuke32 developer

Weird stuff

User is offline   Tetsuo 

View Post3dwizard, on Sep 20 2010, 05:06 AM, said:

The only good thing that it might be doing by existing, is to help ignorant kids find out and play old games, faster.

Arrogant much? Make blatant assumptions much? :)

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 20 September 2010 - 08:19 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options