Duke4.net Forums: Houses in Mapster - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Houses in Mapster

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

I know creating a house is simple in regards that you bring the sector down from the ceiling in 3D mode. Is there a way to have a house that doesn't have to connect to the ceiling\sky? Or am I stuck with it.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

Aside from using sprites (for a roof), you are pretty much SOL, to my knowledge.

The engine was never really designed for outdoor areas etc. since it is sector based instead of model/bsp based.

• tile 1018

View PostMr.Flibble, on Sep 17 2010, 09:45 PM, said:

Aside from using sprites (for a roof), you are pretty much SOL, to my knowledge.

The engine was never really designed for outdoor areas etc. since it is sector based instead of model/bsp based.

Well some of the sprites were made into models, which I assume can be done with regular sectors. Although, doing that is like erasing the Build engine and having a completely new one, because I don't think it would be possible without modifying the code of the Build engine itself.

So yeah, I figured so,

• I have the power!

You mean convert the engine from sector based to bsp based? I think that was suggested but then what is the point? Might as well make a whole new engine.

In any case, you can use sprites to make a room for a house. You can also go the hardcore route which is making art for your map. You can make models of house parts (but not whole houses since collision doesn't work that way) and build your house that way.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

You can make limited houses using SOS in polymer. I've attached a sample house for you to check out below, the thing is you can't actually go on the roof which is a bummer.

To help make it easier to understand, I've created 3 examples within the house of SOS:
1) the house itself (the two sloped sides that is)
2) a fireplace which you can go into
3) a second story room

Essentially what you're doing is making a house outside like you normally would, then stretch the inside so that it's bigger than the outside. Then cover up the stretched areas with raised child sectors from outside. This means that you can only have doors/windows made within the non valid space. It's hard to explain, check the map. You could also simulate windows by making a small bit of parallaxed space in the wall, like I did for one of them. It even turns out that if you can see the outside while viewing the parallaxed window from the inside, you can see the outside through it.

Attached File(s)

• tile 1018

View PostMicky C, on Sep 18 2010, 04:16 AM, said:

You can make limited houses using SOS in polymer. I've attached a sample house for you to check out below, the thing is you can't actually go on the roof which is a bummer.

To help make it easier to understand, I've created 3 examples within the house of SOS:
1) the house itself (the two sloped sides that is)
2) a fireplace which you can go into
3) a second story room

Essentially what you're doing is making a house outside like you normally would, then stretch the inside so that it's bigger than the outside. Then cover up the stretched areas with raised child sectors from outside. This means that you can only have doors/windows made within the non valid space. It's hard to explain, check the map. You could also simulate windows by making a small bit of parallaxed space in the wall, like I did for one of them. It even turns out that if you can see the outside while viewing the parallaxed window from the inside, you can see the outside through it.

I can't learn much from it, the house looks completely screwed up in Mapster's 3D mode, but I can kind of get it. I think I will stick to creating models, although I have no idea how to import them in the game\Mapster. Thank you though.

User is offline   HellFire 

The map Bedrone (http://dukerepository.com/maps/Bedrone , and some others from the same author) has an tricky effect that simulates buildings which you can enter in then and also walk in its roof. Doing then thought is very hard, mainly its doors which i even dont remember how theyre done. Also this effect woudnt look good on an map based on "reallity" cuz you cant do this with swing doors, only with floor or ceilling doors.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Model a house then use blocking sprites on the walls.

• Honored Donor

Of course let's not forget it may be possible in the future for eduke32 to have true model collision detection, in which case all you'll have to do is model houses :)

• tile 1018

View PostMicky C, on Sep 19 2010, 07:44 AM, said:

Of course let's not forget it may be possible in the future for eduke32 to have true model collision detection, in which case all you'll have to do is model houses :)

No, when Duke Nukem Forever comes out, eduke32 will be a bit, oh how do I say it, dead.

• I have the power!

View PostSpirrwell, on Sep 19 2010, 05:22 PM, said:

No, when Duke Nukem Forever comes out, eduke32 will be a bit, oh how do I say it, dead.

Not likely.

• Honored Donor

Yeah, forgetting about all the people who sooner or later will want to play a bit of good ol' duke 3d every now and then, there are lots of people on this forum who are really only interested in the engine for modding purposes. Take the commander for example. This statement might sound a bit weak but it'll work out this way.

View PostSpirrwell, on Sep 18 2010, 09:06 PM, said:

I can't learn much from it, the house looks completely screwed up in Mapster's 3D mode, but I can kind of get it. I think I will stick to creating models, although I have no idea how to import them in the game\Mapster. Thank you though.

I know you're not going to go in that direction but it's useful to know that to switch to polymer mode in mapster, you type "setrendermode 4" without quotation marks into the console, and pressing 'x turns on polymer lights :)

This post has been edited by Micky C: 20 September 2010 - 01:12 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options