Duke4.net Forums: Damn, it's dark in here! - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Damn, it's dark in here!  "Eduke32's lighten system doesn't seem to be working right."

User is offline   Jack 

Alright, just for starters, I'm not using the Polymer system, and I'm just running Eduke32 in full-screen with the Attrition Mod.

And here I am trapped in "The Abyss" level, and it's too dark to see, Ambient lighting settings and night vision I've tried don't seem to be working at all. No matter how much brightness I add, its just a pitch black room at some part of the map.

I don't know what to, I can't even finish the level because I feel like a blind guy searching for his cane now.
Any help would be much appreciated.

User is offline   Stabs 

"r_shadescale 1.050" followed by "restartvid"

play with it till you find a value you like

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Have the same problem. 32 bit is too dark to see anything so I switch to software mode to get past those completely black places. The screen in software mode may be a bit washed out, but at least I can see.

User is offline   Player Lin 

Wait... why not just increase the gamma and brightness? Why limit yourself with default setting?

:)

User is offline   Jack 

View PostForge, on Sep 14 2010, 07:27 PM, said:

Have the same problem. 32 bit is too dark to see anything so I switch to software mode to get past those completely black places. The screen in software mode may be a bit washed out, but at least I can see.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. And I'll try that console command as well.

As for the gamma and brightness settings. I've attempted using both already, one just makes the screen itself brighter, but it doesn't change the level brightness itself, the light ambiance scroller also doesn't work. I have no idea why this engine's lighting system is like this. But perhaps someone in the development might shed some light on this. (Heh, pun)

This post has been edited by Jack: 14 September 2010 - 07:26 PM

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Strange thing is in Polymer duke sort of has a lightening effect around him (which he shouldn't) but in Polymost he doesn't.. but he probably should.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I recall there being a rare problem where the ambiant light slider is off the scale, eg the minimum is 0.13 or something and if it's below that the slider won't work. Try DanM's console command to get it back on track and hopefully your slider will work again.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

the ambient light slider works

changing the gamma, brightness, etc. (in game or by external attempts i.e. the monitor adjustment) only washes the screen out, does not fix how dark 32 bit renders.

8 bit used to be like this some time ago, now it's flipped to 32 bit

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

When it gets to that point, I'd check your monitor itself, and make it comfortably bright.

I was having this exact same problem with recent versions of eDuke32, and none of the ingame options would fix it. It affected "The Abyss" particularly badly, rendering parts of the sandstone tunnel that you have to pass through completely black. I got around it by reinstalling a version of eDuke32 from about a year ago. Luckily I keep every piece of software I download!

If you want me to pass along the version of eDuke that is working for me, I will do so.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options