Duke4.net Forums: Updated: SE49 acting weird? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Updated: SE49 acting weird?

User is offline   Awesomebob 

What is the difference between shading walls / sectors / sprites vs. adjusting the visibility? Seems that the Polymer lighting affects both equally. Would this be a good workaround for large areas lit by the polymer lighting, to avoid hand shading everything?

This post has been edited by Awesomebob: 10 September 2010 - 03:01 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

If the visibility is what I think it is then it's basically making everything beyond a certain distance pitch black, although the transition is much more gradual for the software renderer. When a sector, wall etc... has a darker shade, it becomes darker at a closer distance to the player than a sector with a lighter shade, as a result of the visibility. The visibility can be adjusted in renderer setup with the "ambient light" slider.

Yes polymer lights are a fast, effective, and good looking way to light levels, and lights look much better on darker surfaces. So if you want to light a level with dynamic lights, you'd want to select everything, then give everything a darkish shade before putting in spotlights and pointlights as you see fit.

Thanks Mickey. After playing around a bit, shading works better with the polymer lighting than visability.

New stuff. I have a SE49 that won't cooperate (?).
In the attached SS, you see a doorway. One side is lit, one is not. The red dot is where I placed the sprite. Is there a way to get the SE to light both sides? Everything else is great.

EDIT: Helps if I attach the SS :D

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0000.jpg

This post has been edited by Awesomebob: 11 September 2010 - 06:46 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Can you attach the map with the problem?

Sure thing.

Requires duke plus.

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  BFM.zip (20.74K)
    Number of downloads: 261

This post has been edited by Awesomebob: 11 September 2010 - 06:49 AM

User is online   Mark 

Its nothing you did. Take a look at the light pattern. Something has caused it to go on an angle. I deleted your SE and put another on and have the same problem. You might want to post this problem in the Polymer problems area of the forums.

This post has been edited by Marked: 11 September 2010 - 08:18 AM

View PostMarked, on Sep 11 2010, 09:17 AM, said:

Its nothing you did. Take a look at the light pattern. Something has caused it to go on an angle. I deleted your SE and put another on and have the same problem. You might want to post this problem in the Polymer problems area of the forums.

Unrelated question: How do you get polymer to work in mapster? I do the setrendermode 4 but I never got the lighting effects to look like that.

This post has been edited by Awesomebob: 11 September 2010 - 08:40 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostAwesomebob, on Sep 11 2010, 09:30 AM, said:

Unrelated question: How do you get polymer to work in mapster? I do the setrendermode 4 but I never got the lighting effects to look like that.

Related: Earlier in the map I had some problems in that area (spider lines). I thought I fixed the problem, but it may still be there. I'll pull the sectors apart and see if they're doing weird things.

hit x plus ' to turn on lighting mode.

View PostCommando Nukem, on Sep 11 2010, 09:35 AM, said:

hit x plus ' to turn on lighting mode.

I'll bet you that's in the mapster key, and I just didn't see it :D Thanks.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

For some reason I can't see the lights in mapster...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options