Duke4.net Forums: Is the console version being made by someone else? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is the console version being made by someone else?  "I hope not"

Well I'm just wondering if the console version of DNF is being made by another team? Not Gearbox but someone else.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

I doubt its going to be done by someone else.

User is offline   Rehbock 

gearbox was hired back in the days to port games. they have enough knowledge to do it themselfs.

View PostRehbock, on Sep 9 2010, 06:32 AM, said:

gearbox was hired back in the days to port games. they have enough knowledge to do it themselfs.

I hope so.

If anyone has any news on this, throw it my way.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

From what I've read Tryptych games had the PC version mostly done and Gearbox is just helping them polish it up and port it to the consoles.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm 90% sure Gearbox is doing the porting themselves.

User is offline   Parkar 

• Honored Donor

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Sep 9 2010, 10:35 PM, said:

I'm 90% sure Gearbox is doing the porting themselves.

According to Joe, Piranha Games is also involved with the console ports to some extent as well as working on the multiplayer.

To lazy to find the post on Gearbox forums though.

This post has been edited by Parkar: 09 September 2010 - 12:53 PM

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

Joe@gearbox forums:

Piranha is assisting with the efforts of console optimizations and expanding multiplayer.

User is offline   3dwizard 

I wonder if the console optimizations are also going to be translated to the pc version since they are doing that unified platform crap that he was talking about, which also makes pc users have that 2 weapons bull shit option.

User is offline   Kathy 

2 weapons feature needed a right balance so I it wasn't added retroactively when the game was being ported to 360/PS3.

View PostSplat, on Sep 9 2010, 01:59 PM, said:

Joe@gearbox forums: "Piranha is assisting with the efforts of console optimizations and expanding multiplayer"

Oh damn so the console version is going to made by someone else! So its not going to be the same as the PC :D

View Postblackharted, on Sep 10 2010, 07:35 AM, said:

Oh damn so the console version is going to made by someone else! So its not going to be the same as the PC :D

What? Ofc it will be the same. They are not crazy to make a separate one. If they made 2 separate games, the pc version would be much closer to it's roots than it is now.
They are simply taking the pc game and cutting some effects here some effects there, compressing the textures to fit in the console memory, shrinking the draw distance and all the set of optimizations that are being made to suit the console.
It's not going to be a different game, it's just going to be the same game but with graphics tweaks, in order to run smoothly on the 2006 hardware that both consoles have.

This post has been edited by 3dwizard: 10 September 2010 - 06:51 AM

View Post3dwizard, on Sep 10 2010, 07:50 AM, said:

What? Ofc it will be the same. They are not crazy to make a separate one. If they made 2 separate games, the pc version would be much closer to it's roots than it is now.
They are simply taking the pc game and cutting some effects here some effects there, compressing the textures to fit in the console memory, shrinking the draw distance and all the set of optimizations that are being made to suit the console.
It's not going to be a different game, it's just going to be the same game but with graphics tweaks, in order to run smoothly on the 2006 hardware that both consoles have.

Well the info hidden in that wall of negativity has put my mind somewhat at ease, but until I have the full quote, I'm going to be a bit tense.

This post has been edited by blackharted: 10 September 2010 - 07:18 AM

View Postblackharted, on Sep 10 2010, 08:18 AM, said:

Well the info hidden in that wall of negativity has put my mind somewhat at ease, but until I have the full quote, I'm going to be a bit tense.

Dude trust me on this. I KNOW what I am talking about. I work in the industry(if that helps you trust me more) and I can guarantee you beyond any single little doubt that this is EXACTLY what they are doing!Ask Wieder, I am sure he knows this too and he is willing to confirm what I'm saying.
I do not doubt it because there is nothing to doubt. There is a procedure that is being followed and that procedure is a standard for all multiplatform dev companies that produce games for pc and 360+ps3.
For unreal engine 3 usually there's a baking procedure. You bake the maps for each platform and this influences the light sources for each platform.

This post has been edited by 3dwizard: 10 September 2010 - 07:42 AM

View Post3dwizard, on Sep 10 2010, 07:40 AM, said:

Dude trust me on this. I KNOW what I am talking about. I work in the industry(if that helps you trust me more) and I can guarantee you beyond any single little doubt that this is EXACTLY what they are doing!Ask Wieder, I am sure he knows this too and he is willing to confirm what I'm saying.
I do not doubt it because there is nothing to doubt. There is a procedure that is being followed and that procedure is a standard for all multiplatform dev companies that produce games for pc and 360+ps3.
For unreal engine 3 usually there's a baking procedure. You bake the maps for each platform and this influences the light sources for each platform.

Ok m8 I believe you. But still the 100% confirmed quote would be nice.

As if the differences will be anything more than negligible.

Fuck's sake, it'll look better than some of those terrible model packs floating about. That's all I care about. (I'm sorry to anyone involved in doing those--I'm sure it takes a long time to create those models, and I certainly don't have the talent or patience to do so myself, but they're pretty shitty a lot of the time. The original sprites look better.)

User is offline   ferran275 

save your pennies and upgrade your PC, its what I'm gonna be doing, the whole console headache isn't even worth thinking about. The console version is for 'normal' duke fans, PC version is for full on DukeTards :)

View Postferran275, on Sep 16 2010, 06:43 AM, said:

save your pennies and upgrade your PC, its what I'm gonna be doing, the whole console headache isn't even worth thinking about. The console version is for 'normal' duke fans, PC version is for full on DukeTards :)

Actually, I don't agree with you! There's no need to go to extreme comparisons here when the situation is super simple.
The console version is for new duke fans, PC version is for old duke fans and people that like to play fps games properly.
It's that simple.

View Post3dwizard, on Sep 16 2010, 10:44 AM, said:

Actually, I don't agree with you! There's no need to go to extreme comparisons here when the situation is super simple.
The console version is for new duke fans, PC version is for old duke fans and people that like to play fps games properly.
It's that simple.

the only proper way to play a FPS is with a keyboard and mouse. PERIOD.

I have a 360, but for games like GTA and Red Dead Redemption, not shooters, never ever shooters, I despise shooters like Halo that thrive on the console gamepad type of gameplay

User is offline   Kathy 

I'm gonna play it on PC with a 360 gamepad. Seriously.

User is offline   Honza 

View PostLotan, on Sep 16 2010, 09:49 PM, said:

I'm gonna play it on PC with a 360 gamepad. Seriously.

seriously - why?

User is offline   Kathy 

Because I'm not gonna play it sitting at the table in front of a monitor. And I'm pretty used to 360 pad.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostLotan, on Sep 16 2010, 01:21 PM, said:

Because I'm not gonna play it sitting at the table in front of a monitor. And I'm pretty used to 360 pad.

Hey, good for you!

Blasphemer.

User is offline   Honza 

View PostLotan, on Sep 16 2010, 10:21 PM, said:

I can imagine that in sake of comfort some ppl do that, however THIS IS Duke Nukem Forever. This is the game for which we waited long twelve years, even if I'd be sitting on something like this:
Posted Image

I'm gonna finish it with keyboard + mouse :)

This post has been edited by Honza: 16 September 2010 - 12:58 PM

View PostHonza, on Sep 16 2010, 12:56 PM, said:

I can imagine that in sake of comfort some ppl do that, however THIS IS Duke Nukem Forever. This is the game for which we waited long twelve years, even if I'd be sitting on something like this:
Posted Image

I'm gonna finish it with keyboard + mouse :)

haha

yeah, I'd sit on that :)

^ I do sit on that. :)

View PostReaperMan, on Sep 16 2010, 05:35 PM, said:

^ I do sit on that. :)

I'm actually still kind of trying to figure out how that thing works. You're arms go there, and your feet go there, and your legs go... oh... :)

Honza said:

(the chair)

Oh yeah? Now I know who stole my good furniture! I keep falling asleep in the chair I am using now, and that just is not good.

No, in all seriousness, I want one of those, I wonder if I could get one off eBay...

This post has been edited by High Treason: 16 September 2010 - 07:05 PM

View PostHigh Treason, on Sep 16 2010, 08:04 PM, said:

No, in all seriousness, I want one of those, I wonder if I could get one off eBay...

No, in all seriousness... creeepy :)

View PostHigh Treason, on Sep 16 2010, 11:04 PM, said:

It would be a good conversation piece.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 16 September 2010 - 07:31 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options