Duke4.net Forums: Why does Gearbox pimp DNF like they've actually worked serious on it? - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why does Gearbox pimp DNF like they've actually worked serious on it?

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

I was going to make a rather long post sorting out all of the ignorant bullshit, but, Descent (and Yatta) already summed up my thoughts immediately.

What I find even stranger though, is that some specific people seem to change their opinion wildly from thread to thread, and It tends to be awfully confusing as to where they are coming from in all this.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 14 October 2010 - 05:30 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View Postblackharted, on Oct 10 2010, 04:26 AM, said:

Yeah ok. But in this case I've no reason to lie.

You say that, but how do we know you aren't lying about telling the truth? ;)

User is offline   Outtagum 

View PostMr.Deviance, on Oct 13 2010, 03:12 AM, said:

I could even think of a much better studio that could have finished DNF other than gearbox, so the whole Gearbox respect and appreciation context is just forced and has no substance IMHO.

So, what studio?

User is offline   BugsBunny 

Gearbox has indeed seriously worked on it.
1. GBX is completely responsible for the PS3 version. They hired Piranha to do it.
2. The game would also have been an only single player game. That we are getting a multiplayer component is because of Gearbox.
3. Without Gearbox, there would have been NO and I mean absolute NO DNF. If Gearbox didnt put together the game from the contents that they received from Triptych games and would not be sponsoring Triptych, there would have been no DNF.

So give credit to Gearbox where it is due. It is for them we are getting DNF, an extra console port ( PS3 ) for it, and a complete new multiplayer component for it, not to mention the heaps of polishing that they are doing to make the game look like a 2011 game, and not fade out in front of Crysis 2.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostBugsBunny, on Oct 14 2010, 04:55 PM, said:

Gearbox has indeed seriously worked on it.
1. GBX is completely responsible for the PS3 version. They hired Piranha to do it.

Yeah... Which means that Gearbox didnt do anything except hire someone else to do. We wouldnt have gotten a PS3 port under 3DR, but that doesnt mean Gearbox has suddenly "done serious work" with regards to a port. The work is being done by another company.

2. The game would also have been an only single player game. That we are getting a multiplayer component is because of Gearbox.

Not even close to true. Multiplayer was always planned, and in some fashion functioning. Its been, apparently, greatly expanded.

3. Without Gearbox, there would have been NO and I mean absolute NO DNF. If Gearbox didnt put together the game from the contents that they received from Triptych games and would not be sponsoring Triptych, there would have been no DNF.

More like, if the guys at 3DR had given up when things went to shit, we wouldnt have gotten DNF. Triptych, those former guys at 3DR got DNF to a close enough completed state that Gearbox was then able to step in and assist, not the other way around. They helped with money, publishing and roofing Triptych, but Triptych did the work here.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

It's not like Gearbox didn't do anything. Without their intervention we wouldn't have DNF. But they haven't touched the game at all.

User is offline   Jeager1999 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Oct 14 2010, 08:21 PM, said:

It's not like Gearbox didn't do anything. Without their intervention we wouldn't have DNF. But they haven't touched the game at all.

Exactly what I think. The only thing they are doing is Milking as much money they can out of it before the release. Like it or not, they already took advantage of the fans with GOTY. You guy's like those wallpapers?

• Auramancer

Apparently Gearbox has almost 80 of it's very own staff(Non-Pirhana or Triptych) polishing/working on the game as well, just FYI.
So, to say they haven't touched it in any form is outright bullshit.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 15 October 2010 - 05:13 AM

User is offline   peoplessi 

• Honored Donor

View Post3dwizard, on Sep 23 2010, 08:41 PM, said:

In addition, I request for this topic to be locked as I am done with it.

You all OK up there? Should we also close all other threads that you are "done with"? You can't get much more self-centered and arrogant than this to be frank ;)

View PostStrikerMan780, on Oct 15 2010, 02:10 PM, said:

Apparently Gearbox has almost 80 of it's very own staff(Non-Pirhana or Triptych) polishing/working on the game as well, just FYI.

Do you source for that?

Randy mentioned in an interview (don't remember which it was) that they have about 70 people on the project at GBX not counting Pirhana or Triptych! Also he mentioned they can add a lot of freelance devs as they like! ;)

User is offline   zwieback 

actually, say what you want but we don't know what gearbox has done, so i question the purpose of this whole thread. at the end of the day i trust people like allen blum, george broussard and randy pitchford when they talk about manhours and stuff and not some people who nerdrage around in a forum. time to grow up..

This post has been edited by zwieback: 15 October 2010 - 09:54 AM

View PostJobi-Wan Kenobi, on Oct 15 2010, 06:25 PM, said:

Randy mentioned in an interview (don't remember which it was) that they have about 70 people on the project at GBX not counting Pirhana or Triptych! Also he mentioned they can add a lot of freelance devs as they like! ;)

Not counting Triptych and Pirahana? Are you sure about that. The quote I saw did not mention anything about not counting them. Maybe we are talking about different quotes/interviews here.

Edit:

Here is the quote I was thinking about:

A lot! It’s a complex piece of software and it would go well beyond the scope of this interview to detail the additions and omissions. Today, there are 70 people involved in the project, yet when 3D Realms closed its doors, there were 30.
- Randy Pitchford, October 12, 2010.

Notice he says "there are 70 people involved with the project" that would most definitively count the Triptych and Piranha guys, since they are involved in the project.

View PostStrikerMan780, on Oct 15 2010, 06:10 AM, said:

Ok, so they are polishing the game. Big Fucking Whoop. So that makes it ok for Randy to go. "Yes, We are releasing DNF. BOW before me, Grab your Chap stick. KISS MY ASS And dish out 60 bucks if you haven't already for a game to get a little box under your name and a few screen shots that we could of post since day one after our PAX Reveal. "

• The Sarien Encounter

God would you just STFU, Jeager.

• Auramancer

View PostKristian Joensen, on Oct 15 2010, 04:38 PM, said:

Not counting Triptych and Pirahana? Are you sure about that. The quote I saw did not mention anything about not counting them. Maybe we are talking about different quotes/interviews here.

Edit:

Here is the quote I was thinking about:

- Randy Pitchford, October 12, 2010.

Notice he says "there are 70 people involved with the project" that would most definitively count the Triptych and Piranha guys, since they are involved in the project.

I'm assuming that's from a written interview, correct? The quote I'm thinking of If my memory serves me correctly was from a video or audio clip.

I could have sworn I heard that I heard 8 in the figure somewhere, and that it didn't include Triptych and Pirhana... But the week's been so fucking hellish, that my brain's been screwing with me. Everything's still a blur and I just can't sort one thought/mental image from another. Too much going on in my head for me to give a shit right now... I need a drink, and a very long sleep.

Fuck it, either way, they still have quite a few of their own people working on it. Take a look at some of the dev profiles on Gearboxity.

View PostJeager1999, on Oct 11 2010, 09:50 PM, said:

GEARBOX is nothing but a Money Pinching Grubbing bunch of Assholes who take orders from T2 or K2 right up their ass and until the Damn Game Comes out, they will continue to make bucks from the wait. Surprised these assholes are even going to Release the Demo soon without a price tag nailed to it.

That would only happen if the game was being released by Activision.

View PostMr.Deviance, on Oct 11 2010, 09:57 PM, said:

Well said, lol.
JamesCassidy gets a "vibe" but what he doesn't know is that, his vibe is the exact one that Randy wants to send.
I could fake my excitement, even better than Randy does, if I knew it would bring me lots of cash at the end of the day.
Sadly, some people are too young and naive and they fall for the marketing stunts for which publishers pay good money to achieve.

Jeager1999...Mr. Deviance.

You two are by the far the most....black-hearted human beings on this planet. You both are also the dumbest trolls I have ever seen on the face of this earth. Do you have girlfriends/boyfriends? Apparently not because you don't even have a soul let alone a heart. I am surprised you will even listen to a lover you have judging by how much you "feel" for this game.

I feel sorry for you....both of you. I feel absolutely sorry for you.

Too young and naive? Ummm Mr. Deviance, if your birthday is as correct as you put it, I am the same age as you. I have a fiance, a job, drinking buddies, and got a degree in graphics design and advertising. Next time, learn your facts before you spew crap like that, little boy. I guess you are young and naive as well. Judging by how you post, I'd say more young and naive than me.

I like how YOU think that everything is a conspiracy theory or something is more complicated than it needs to be. Randy Pitchford is JUST a fan who wanted to bring Duke Nukem Forever to the masses. He wanted to bring Duke back in a world where games have gotten so out of control that people like you think that the only way a game is going to be awesome is if it has top of the line graphics, top of the line hardware, and no one knows about it.

I wish I could be right there when you are on your computer and slap some sense into you two because you two need to get out. Then I am going to rip the Twilight posters off your walls and tell you that your world is forever boring. No more games for you. You don't even deserve to be in the same category as a gamer as the rest. You deserve nothing more than to watch as people burn everything you have cherished on your computer and just send it to oblivion.

I truly feel sorry for you. I pity you. Both of you. I can also see both of you not having a any friends at all except for people just like you. I hate to see when you guys disagree.

Randy also USED to work for 3D Realms if you remember. He worked on Duke Nukem and in a sense he is just saving the one thing he enjoyed doing.
I am guessing you don't have anything to cherish or hold on to either seeing as you think this is just a ploy because you want it to be. Randy is not pimping Duke out. He is saving it. That's the point. Speaking of which, there are some of the original 3DR developers at Gearbox. They worked on DNF. It's more or less them finishing where they started. The only difference is is they are under a different company. Yeah, there is really a conspiracy theory there. The original developers finishing their work under a different company? Wow. I am shocked and awed [/sarcasm]

I also think it is pathetic that because you think I like something automatically means that I am brainwashed. Can't I like something just because I like it or is this a conspiracy theory as well?

"I like food, not because it taste good and is good for me, but because the media WANTS me to think food is good. Also, breathing and drinking water is bad."
-Mr. Deviance and Jeager1999

What if I liked the series even before it became popular? Is that brainwashing then?

Have you guys ever enjoyed something so much you can't stop talking about it or are really excited when the think you have been working on is finally getting released? I guess not since you can't even recognize it when others are.

You two need to go outside. You guys see the world and live your lives for once because you two know shit about shit. You think you know all this stuff, but you don't. You know shit about games. You know shit about industry and you know shit about Gearbox or any developer for that matter. All you know is what you see and what you see is not even what is there. You are so blinded by the media yourselves that you fail to see the developers themselves.

I met with people from Gearbox. I've met with people from Bungie and Valve. I even met Bobby Kotick one time. The guys at Gearbox, Bungie, Valve and most others are very passionate about their work. They love what they do, not because of money even though they do make it. (Except for Bobby Kotick who is an asshole just like you guys.)

I am sure that if you wanted something to be done and you had the money and the resources to finish it, you would do it in a heart beat. I am sure you would also be excited. I guess you wouldn't be seeing as you two are not even human enough to have a soul

So, Mr. Deviance and Jeager1999. Don't talk to me. Don't look at me. Don't even look at the ground I walk on because you two are not even worth spitting on. I don't give a crap what you two have to say anymore, so say nothing. Don't say a damn thing because from this point on your opinions are now null and void. From this point on you two don't even exist.

TL;DR? Then let me shorten it for you.

"Blow it out your ass"

This post has been edited by JamesCassidy: 16 October 2010 - 07:21 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostJamesCassidy, on Oct 16 2010, 10:10 AM, said:

You two are by the far the most....black-hearted human beings on this planet.

Well put! :(

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 16 October 2010 - 07:28 AM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Man, that is a wall of text. Why are we still giving these guys attention?

I don't think Mr. Deviance is a troll, I think he's one of those people who shouts "Any game that needs more than 256 colors is crap!"

He's one of those guys who is stuck in the 90's, but instead of accepting the fact that the industry sucks now he bitches endlessly and acts elitist. I see it all the time.

This post has been edited by Descent: 16 October 2010 - 09:41 AM

View PostJamesCassidy, on Oct 16 2010, 07:10 AM, said:

That would only happen if the game was being released by Activision.

You two are by the far the most....black-hearted human beings on this planet. You both are also the dumbest trolls I have ever seen on the face of this earth. Do you have girlfriends/boyfriends? Apparently not because you don't even have a soul let alone a heart. I am surprised you will even listen to a lover you have judging by how much you "feel" for this game.

I feel sorry for you....both of you. I feel absolutely sorry for you.

Too young and naive? Ummm Mr. Deviance, if your birthday is as correct as you put it, I am the same age as you. I have a fiance, a job, drinking buddies, and got a degree in graphics design and advertising. Next time, learn your facts before you spew crap like that, little boy. I guess you are young and naive as well. Judging by how you post, I'd say more young and naive than me.

I like how YOU think that everything is a conspiracy theory or something is more complicated than it needs to be. Randy Pitchford is JUST a fan who wanted to bring Duke Nukem Forever to the masses. He wanted to bring Duke back in a world where games have gotten so out of control that people like you think that the only way a game is going to be awesome is if it has top of the line graphics, top of the line hardware, and no one knows about it.

I wish I could be right there when you are on your computer and slap some sense into you two because you two need to get out. Then I am going to rip the Twilight posters off your walls and tell you that your world is forever boring. No more games for you. You don't even deserve to be in the same category as a gamer as the rest. You deserve nothing more than to watch as people burn everything you have cherished on your computer and just send it to oblivion.

I truly feel sorry for you. I pity you. Both of you. I can also see both of you not having a any friends at all except for people just like you. I hate to see when you guys disagree.

Randy also USED to work for 3D Realms if you remember. He worked on Duke Nukem and in a sense he is just saving the one thing he enjoyed doing.
I am guessing you don't have anything to cherish or hold on to either seeing as you think this is just a ploy because you want it to be. Randy is not pimping Duke out. He is saving it. That's the point. Speaking of which, there are some of the original 3DR developers at Gearbox. They worked on DNF. It's more or less them finishing where they started. The only difference is is they are under a different company. Yeah, there is really a conspiracy theory there. The original developers finishing their work under a different company? Wow. I am shocked and awed [/sarcasm]

I also think it is pathetic that because you think I like something automatically means that I am brainwashed. Can't I like something just because I like it or is this a conspiracy theory as well?

"I like food, not because it taste good and is good for me, but because the media WANTS me to think food is good. Also, breathing and drinking water is bad."
-Mr. Deviance and Jeager1999

What if I liked the series even before it became popular? Is that brainwashing then?

Have you guys ever enjoyed something so much you can't stop talking about it or are really excited when the think you have been working on is finally getting released? I guess not since you can't even recognize it when others are.

You two need to go outside. You guys see the world and live your lives for once because you two know shit about shit. You think you know all this stuff, but you don't. You know shit about games. You know shit about industry and you know shit about Gearbox or any developer for that matter. All you know is what you see and what you see is not even what is there. You are so blinded by the media yourselves that you fail to see the developers themselves.

I met with people from Gearbox. I've met with people from Bungie and Valve. I even met Bobby Kotick one time. The guys at Gearbox, Bungie, Valve and most others are very passionate about their work. They love what they do, not because of money even though they do make it. (Except for Bobby Kotick who is an asshole just like you guys.)

I am sure that if you wanted something to be done and you had the money and the resources to finish it, you would do it in a heart beat. I am sure you would also be excited. I guess you wouldn't be seeing as you two are not even human enough to have a soul

So, Mr. Deviance and Jeager1999. Don't talk to me. Don't look at me. Don't even look at the ground I walk on because you two are not even worth spitting on. I don't give a crap what you two have to say anymore, so say nothing. Don't say a damn thing because from this point on your opinions are now null and void. From this point on you two don't even exist.

TL;DR? Then let me shorten it for you.

"Blow it out your ass"

Thanks?

Nah, see you think I'm trolling. But I'm not. YOU ARE. You rather insult me then actually prove me wrong.
You say that the reason there is no trailer is because of the ESRB. I bring up a Good argument about the 07 Teaser, even though many of you shot that down saying it wasn't intended to be release. Well it was and it even has a rating NP or RP which are ESRB Ratings none the less. Then you go on to say that The game has to be near completion in order to get a Trailer Rated. But we didn't know the full status of DNF completion during 07, I hardly doubt it was almost finished.

And then came the Game of the Year Edition.
You guys can't admit that you wanted the Game because of the Access Club. I've said I wanted it too but I was more interested in the Game as well....at least I was at the time. Of course you Gearbox Loyal Fans again shot everything I said about this Club. Here's a question. How many of you bought the GOTY for the 360 and PS3. Did any of you take the time to ask if the Early Access Members who have either of the two consoles can Download it for use on those systems? I don't know about all of you but I don't use my PC for gaming.

Really whats the point of trying to set the record straight. No matter what I say, you guys will rip on me just saying the same shit over. So I'm going to stop arguing about the old news. Just wait for new fuck ups to come up, and I know that's around the corner.

So you win this round.

Posted Image

• The Sarien Encounter

Good.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=yVtcycCzydY

This post has been edited by Descent: 16 October 2010 - 08:07 PM

View PostJamesCassidy, on Oct 16 2010, 08:10 AM, said:

I HATE, I SPIT you I SPIT YOU, YOU ARE NOT GOOD, you are retarded and bad and I am not angry but I do not want to ever hear you again you are the worst and the stupides and you are not EMO, you have a black heart!!!
Bad Mr.Deviance is retarded and I hate him, weaaaah.
I am not bad like you say, I am good and smart and I have friends, a degree in graphics design and advertising and a fiance!!! I HAVE A LIFE HONESTLY!!!
I am as old as you are and I drink too and that makes me cooler now that I've told you that! I even have drinking buddies!!!
Everybody that agrees with Mr.Deviance is like him too.
Black, bad, dark, nasty null, void, hate weaaah!
TL;DR?
Insert stereotypical one liner here... to get the illusion that I'm a bad ass

I don't mind people that insult me online because I've seen lots of idiots that love to reg on forums just to post against the current to have their lulz but I get the feeling that you are actually in need of help lol.
Hey man, I hope you feel better that you've let it all out now.
I just hope your "drinking buddies" and "fiance" don't stumble by mistake upon this forum and accidentally read your upper post, because something tells me they might reconsider their relations with you, until you get some professional help (professional as in nobel-prize winning kind ) :(
I really like you, but to be perfect I think you just need to mask your schizophrenia a little bit more. Other than that I think you're a perfectly sane person with a LIFE, drinking BUDDIES a FIANCE and you are definitely as OLD as I am, just like you said :(

Don't worry, I believe you and now I trust that you are not being manipulated through cheap marketing strategies either, due to the fact that you've told me about your degree in advertising!

View PostDescent, on Oct 16 2010, 10:36 AM, said:

Man, that is a wall of text. Why are we still giving these guys attention?

I don't think Mr. Deviance is a troll, I think he's one of those people who shouts "Any game that needs more than 256 colors is crap!"

He's one of those guys who is stuck in the 90's, but instead of accepting the fact that the industry sucks now he bitches endlessly and acts elitist. I see it all the time.

You assume too much about me and it's not very smart to do that.
I like lots of games from all kinds of times and ages and I am not a retro freak like you assume, even though I love retro games.
As you've noticed by now, I didn't reply to your cheap trolling involving OMF2097, but for your personal info, I love the 80's and the 90's because those were my teenage days and I consider OMF2097 to be a splendid game with exceptional music, ambient and gameplay.
You said that my OMF avatar doesn't give you the feeling that I might be a serious person. Now, it's funny that you're the one to to talk about avatars and their seriousness when your avatar is the epitome of childish immaturity :(
I'm an old school gamer but I'm not stuck in the 90's and I don't act elitist.
Having a strong opinion doesn't equal elitism either.
I also don't think the entire industry sucks today. You think you've got me all figured out but you are far from it.
There is one thing you should keep in mind about me though, I don't like people that talk/think/post like kids that have no experience.
Whether that applies to you or not is not my problem.
I don't care how young or old one is as long as he post things that make sense!
I appreciate posts based on facts, not on personal opinions.
Idiots that try to bring their own opinions to the table and try to convince and force everybody to agree with them through cheap insults, lack of facts and lots of bragging, quickly become my targets.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 18 October 2010 - 02:54 AM

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostMr.Deviance, on Oct 13 2010, 09:12 AM, said:

I could even think of a much better studio that could have finished DNF other than gearbox, so the whole Gearbox respect and appreciation context is just forced and has no substance IMHO.
However, this doesn't mean that we should start hating on Randy and taking pictures of him and editing them into all kinds of evil characters.
He is just a businessman that is hoping to make lots of money and coincidentally is finishing this game for his customers( me and you).

That's my view as well; I know Randy Pitchford has a history with 3D Realms and I don't doubt he has more affinity with DNF than the average developer, but taking over the Duke Nukem franchise is a business decision in the end which means the primary motivator is profit, not idealism.
Doesn't make him a bad guy, but it doesn't make him Jesus either.

View PostX-Vector, on Oct 18 2010, 04:26 AM, said:

That's my view as well; I know Randy Pitchford has a history with 3D Realms and I don't doubt he has more affinity with DNF than the average developer, but taking over the Duke Nukem franchise is a business decision in the end which means the primary motivator is profit, not idealism.
Doesn't make him a bad guy, but it doesn't make him Jesus either.

True.
Nobody knows how much he loves this game in reality. Trying to measure his levels of excitement based on what he does as part of his marketing campaign is simply naive. But thank God, there's never any shortage of young/naive people.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 18 October 2010 - 03:47 AM

User is offline   Raziel 

When it comes down to it, the core people working on DNF are the same 8 people who refused to stop working on the game once they lost their jobs... On top of that, Gearbox has provided another 70 people, some of which were 3DR staff that were working on DNF at some point anyway. So if anything I think it worked out quite well. Also, fifty people from Piranha Studios are involved with porting the game to consoles and doing the multiplayer and stuff. So if nothing else, Gearbox is throwing a lot of people at this to get it done, more people than 3D Realms ever did.

So, in short, while GBX may not have had a long history with the game, they do have the right people on it to finish the job and they are willing to spend the money needed to get there. So I do think they have worked serious on it, even if it was only to take it the final 10% of the way.

But Randy is head of Gearbox. So you got to ask is he in it as a Fan or as a Business man? Everything that he has done shows he is more of a business man. Of course that my opinion.
Spoiler

User is offline   Outtagum 

Does it really fucking matter?

Duke Nukem Forever is actually being released next year.

Randy is a part of what made that happen.

I think this story is getting old.
I say, fuck Randy the fan and fuck Randy the business man. Let's just wait and see how DNF is and then we can curse him or thank him.
I am under the impression that this subject is impossible to move forward without having the game AND facts on what gearbox did to improve or ruin in DNF, over what they've got from 3DR.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 20 October 2010 - 12:12 AM

View PostMr.Deviance, on Oct 20 2010, 01:11 AM, said:

I think this story is getting old.
I say, fuck Randy the fan and fuck Randy the business man. Let's just wait and see how DNF is and then we can curse him or thank him.
I am under the impression that this subject is impossible to move forward without having the game AND facts on what gearbox did to improve or ruin in DNF, over what they've got from 3DR.

Its not the game that I'm mad about. I know that DNF is going to kick Major Ass. Its the fact that we haven't had solid GOOD Info for good long time now. All we've had were lousy third hand snapshots, videos. Interview's that (Admit it) say the same thing, but in different languages. And a Access Club that only had a few screen shots and there hasn't been anything new in that club for a week now.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options