Duke4.net Forums: Why does Gearbox pimp DNF like they've actually worked serious on it? - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why does Gearbox pimp DNF like they've actually worked serious on it?

Yes it was the other way around , after gearbox invested into the game , financially helped 3DR for one year , it was a more of a personal Pitchford thing , joining up with Triptych in late 2009, those 70 developers at gearbox did helped to finish up the PC version , plus they are finishing 360 version plus making PS3 version.

3DRealms wanted to sell the Duke IP to Gearbox, and gearbox accepted the offer.

PS3 version is the only piece that Gearbox did 100% their self (just a port)
360 version was not ahead of PC version in development completed , % unknown.

Duke Nukem Forever is a 100% PC game (except 2weapon creative issue) , ported to consoles. Console versions are ports from the PC.

Where does it say , PC version need to be the same as console versions?

This post has been edited by RuskiSnajper: 03 October 2010 - 10:34 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

Piranha Games is most likely doing a PS3-port.

View PostRuskiSnajper, on Oct 3 2010, 10:27 AM, said:

Yes it was the other way around , after gearbox invested into the game , financially helped 3DR for one year , it was a more of a personal Pitchford thing , joining up with Triptych in late 2009, those 70 developers at gearbox did helped to finish up the PC version , plus they are finishing 360 version plus making PS3 version.

3DRealms wanted to sell the Duke IP to Gearbox, and gearbox accepted the offer.

PS3 version is the only piece that Gearbox did 100% their self (just a port)
360 version was not ahead of PC version in development completed , % unknown.

Duke Nukem Forever is a 100% PC game (except 2weapon creative issue) , ported to consoles. Console versions are ports from the PC.

Where does it say , PC version need to be the same as console versions?

Yeah 360 was just behind PC version. PS3 was done when Gearbox took over.

User is offline   Parkar 

• Honored Donor

View PostLotan, on Oct 3 2010, 09:46 PM, said:

Piranha Games is most likely doing a PS3-port.

They are also working on the multiplayer (extending it according to Joe).

As far as I was aware DNF wasn't going to have MP until gearbox got hold of the game. Correct me if I'm wrong.

View PostWilliam Gee, on Oct 9 2010, 12:18 PM, said:

As far as I was aware DNF wasn't going to have MP until gearbox got hold of the game. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Wrong. GB said in comments on Shacknews there will be, when he answered users questions after Xmas 2007 trailer.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Apparently Multiplayer in DNF has been around for a long time, just not in a completed state. (I recall george twittering about a DNF Dukematch he had before)

View PostStrikerMan780, on Oct 9 2010, 11:26 AM, said:

Apparently Multiplayer in DNF has been around for a long time, just not in a completed state. (I recall george twittering about a DNF Dukematch he had before)

Yeah thats is basically what I said.

View PostParkar, on Oct 9 2010, 11:54 AM, said:

They are also working on the multiplayer (extending it according to Joe).

Probably more like ruining the perfect PC oriented mp server browser that was most likely there since 3drealms times, in favor of some match making piece of shit for the consoles...

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 09 October 2010 - 05:25 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Right. Because you're so "in the know".

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View Postblackharted, on Oct 9 2010, 11:40 AM, said:

Yeah thats is basically what I said.

Yes, but you see no one can really trust anything you say. Its a natural thing that occurs when you intendedly try to be a troll. ;)

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Oct 9 2010, 09:44 PM, said:

Some of us haven't exactly gotten over that little fiasco with COD4:MW2's removal of dedicated servers. In the PC version of the game.

And then the developers bitched at the PC users, saying that they needed to get with the times.

We PC gamers are a bitter lot.

This post has been edited by The Mighty Bison: 09 October 2010 - 07:51 PM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Oct 9 2010, 05:44 PM, said:

If constantly stalking my posts and replying to them with a "yea right" attitude, relaxes you and offers a form of therapy for your real life problems, I am more than happy to tolerate your trolling.
But if by coincidence you happen to be a normal person, I suggest you stop trolling and start criticizing my opinions properly if you want a decent reaction.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 09 October 2010 - 09:06 PM

View PostWilliam Gee, on Oct 9 2010, 11:18 AM, said:

I hope this answers your question!
Posted ImagePosted Image
To me, this menu looked like the perfect pc game menu. It looks like it had every single option that a PC Game requires. Let's just hope that something similar to this will be found in today's version.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 09 October 2010 - 09:36 PM

User is offline   Stewox 

View PostThe Mighty Bison, on Oct 10 2010, 05:50 AM, said:

Some of us haven't exactly gotten over that little fiasco with COD4:MW2's removal of dedicated servers. In the PC version of the game.

And then the developers bitched at the PC users, saying that they needed to get with the times.

We PC gamers are a bitter lot.

Exactly , for a week it was a clusterfuck , really didn't missed a single article about the aftermath ... Respawn and lawsuit ... etc.

Not just that , i was at constant aware from the MW2 debut to the end, so i know pretty much damn everything how it was , PC gamers rip the asshole apart of activision and IW , it was a freaking blast , the whole internet was attacking the two companies , ofcourse Activision didn't like it and fired the 2 guys because of a crap game.

But if you understand it , it's not IW's fault actually , it was their final show , shit on activision with a crap game and form another studio , they wanted to leave IW because it was Activision's property (grant collier the co-founder mysteriously left after cod4 , he was the guy who wanted a good PC version , one interview of him remains http://www.youtube.c...h?v=qMfTR8PBrsE

I knocked deeper to it , and i had all the links to the important stuff , now i don't have em here because it's in Firefox archive on a DVD, but there's a list of all devs who left IW to join Respwan , oh yeh there's a youtube video but it's probably outdated again , charlie wieberhold from 3DRealms left in 2006 to join IW , he then left IW to join Respawn, http://www.youtube.c...h?v=aYX0r8QbTys

Punkbuster was a pain in the ass in cod2 , bf2 , but it's a lot better than VAC and in cod4 i had NO ANY problems with PB.

Now for the big point , IW wasn't payed enough royalties , because they had special contract with Activision to be handled like an independent studio (independent persons contract , now that they left , the studio is Activision property) but since Activision was regretting the contract , and really nobody in the industrs has this kind of contract , and because Activisions owned IW 100% it was not paying them royalties until they finished another game , so it was getting less and less independent , MW3 was ordered to be finished in 2 years for a november release. And IW guys had enoguh of pressure , they were working their ass off anyways. with activision witholding royalties , to have hold them hostage , IW just crap out on the game based on how much money they got from COD4 .... so the issues were beginning after cod4 , when grant collier very mystiriously left and ALL evidence of him removed , even credits , and nobody mentioned him again. So the MW2 was the start of consolized games. IW was also pissed , because Activision took their engine and source code to everybody else , that's why IW was extremely against Treyarch who did NOTHING and just modded the game and made new cool ideas with IW creation , IW admitted zombies were cool but between the lines , they never praised Treyarch at all.

EA partners program is pretty much giving the pedal to the metal for developers and that's what Respawn is going for , not a lot of people know that publishers offer certiain range of contracts , Crytek is using one , Valve the other and Id software the third , Respawn maybe using something similar or the same of one of the mentioned devs. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=9CfiXfR91kI (it's a very good listen, don't skip) We don't know what respawn is using but the IP rights are for the developers , and Respawn is in command of the game development schedules, resources put into , release date, and all major decisions.

The funny thing is with RAGE and EA , that video is a bit old , now that Bethesda owns ID software (surprise omg) , EA is no longer involved with the publishing of Rage , a funny thing since you see how developers OWN their property and publishers has nothing to do , that's why 3DRealms did everything to defend their IP , a job well done in the end.

If you want to have a glimpse of how the PC community dumped on IW/activision at the time .... http://forums.techpowerup.com/showpost.php...mp;postcount=60

This post has been edited by Stewox: 10 October 2010 - 02:11 AM

View PostRadar1013, on Oct 9 2010, 07:26 PM, said:

Yes, but you see no one can really trust anything you say. Its a natural thing that occurs when you intendedly try to be a troll. ;)

Yeah ok. But in this case I've no reason to lie.

Randy Pitchford is a fan of Duke Nukem as well as a former developer. He sounds just like we would be, well some of us anyway, excited to have Duke Nukem Forever finally come out.

It's not that he is pimping it out, it's that he is very excite about it as much as everyone else. That's the vibe I get. He is not being a complete ass about it.

Hell, in all the trailers they have for this game the 3DR logo is still amongst them. Does that sound like a developer that is claiming all the credit?

If it is, then I think you are too conceded to see.

User is offline   Jeager1999 

View PostJamesCassidy, on Oct 11 2010, 09:14 PM, said:

Randy Pitchford is a fan of Duke Nukem as well as a former developer. He sounds just like we would be, well some of us anyway, excited to have Duke Nukem Forever finally come out.

It's not that he is pimping it out, it's that he is very excite about it as much as everyone else. That's the vibe I get. He is not being a complete ass about it.

Hell, in all the trailers they have for this game the 3DR logo is still amongst them. Does that sound like a developer that is claiming all the credit?

If it is, then I think you are too conceded to see.

GEARBOX is nothing but a Money Pinching Grubbing bunch of Assholes who take orders from T2 or K2 right up their ass and until the Damn Game Comes out, they will continue to make bucks from the wait. Surprised these assholes are even going to Release the Demo soon without a price tag nailed to it.

View PostJeager1999, on Oct 11 2010, 08:50 PM, said:

GEARBOX is nothing but a Money Pinching Grubbing bunch of Assholes who take orders from T2 or K2 right up their ass and until the Damn Game Comes out, they will continue to make bucks from the wait. Surprised these assholes are even going to Release the Demo soon without a price tag nailed to it.

Well said, lol.
JamesCassidy gets a "vibe" but what he doesn't know is that, his vibe is the exact one that Randy wants to send.
I could fake my excitement, even better than Randy does, if I knew it would bring me lots of cash at the end of the day.
Sadly, some people are too young and naive and they fall for the marketing stunts for which publishers pay good money to achieve.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

Dunno what the hate on Gearbox is, I think it's a great solid company and the game couldn't possibly be in better hands. I'm glad we can count on the game being released this time around. ;)

View PostYatta, on Oct 11 2010, 09:22 PM, said:

Dunno what the hate on Gearbox is, I think it's a great solid company and the game couldn't possibly be in better hands. I'm glad we can count on the game being released this time around. ;)

Releasing is good. But under what form, that's the question.
Releasing anything and calling it DNF won't cut it for me.
If gearbox is tampering with the work that 3drealms did and they are cutting or editing things that were already perfect, I won't be very happy.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 11 October 2010 - 09:57 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostJamesCassidy, on Oct 12 2010, 08:14 AM, said:

But repetitiveness of his words surely cast doubt. Not that I care much, whether he excited as a fan or not.

View PostMr.Deviance, on Oct 12 2010, 09:55 AM, said:

If gearbox is tampering with the work that 3drealms did and they are cutting or editing things that were already perfect, I won't be very happy.

Shit, man. GBX had the game for like half a year. With the release date of 2011 to considerably tamper with the game would have been the most stupid move on their part. The game needs to be released, they're just polishing it.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostJeager1999, on Oct 11 2010, 08:50 PM, said:

Congratulations, you just summed up every developer in the year 2010, save for the money grubbing asshole part.

NEWSFLASH: It's not the 1990's anymore. Developers are now the publishers bitch. And people like you will continue to blame GBX when it's clearly 2K's fault.

View PostMr.Deviance, on Oct 11 2010, 08:57 PM, said:

Well said, lol.
JamesCassidy gets a "vibe" but what he doesn't know is that, his vibe is the exact one that Randy wants to send.
I could fake my excitement, even better than Randy does, if I knew it would bring me lots of cash at the end of the day.
Sadly, some people are too young and naive and they fall for the marketing stunts for which publishers pay good money to achieve.

Every single post I read from you is just the most negative, uninformed, anal crap.

I think I speak for plenty of people here when I say that.

You're either the best troll we have or a total jackass.

If shit was so much better in the day, go back to VOGONS. Cause your attitude is terrible and very much like what I have encountered there.

You endlessly bitch about everything that has transpired in the past year from gloves to multiplayer, and then accuse Gearbox of fucking the game up even though it's the same God damn people working on the game to begin with. They are just free of Broussard's bullshit. Even though he can be involved, legally, I doubt he will be full on anymore.

Uh oh, it's doom and gloom, without George Broussard, the shittiest project manager in human history, at the wheel. "What, Allen Blum and anyone who actually means shit are working at or with Gearbox? Doesn't matter! Fuck Gearbox! I want my dysfunctional 3DRealms back! The same company that said 'Fuck you!' for a decade!"

Enough is enough.

Also, since I feel like going there, OMF2097 was the most overrated game of the DOS era and I have trouble taking anyone with an OMF avatar seriously. Bad, shallow controls and gameplay, horrid animation and graphics, crappy overrated soundtrack (Bad 90's techno), horrible dialog and very weak sound.

This post has been edited by Descent: 12 October 2010 - 08:29 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

I think some nitpicking about Duke's look and his gloves is completely OK in this subforum. But I guess all those Pitchford/Gearbox bashers have never been working for a company that actually has to make money in order to pay their salaries. 3DRealms (as a company) has failed on DNF. Period. Now it belongs to Gearbox. Crediting the individuals who have contributed to the final product is all they should feel obliged to do.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View PostMr.Deviance, on Oct 11 2010, 10:55 PM, said:

I don't see why they'd tamper anything.

Good content = good profit.

Quote "Why does Gearbox pimp DNF like they've actually worked serious on it?"

Without Gearbox, Duke Nukem Forever would of become Vaporware and never come out.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Randy has stated multiple times that this is the original 3D Realms vision of the game. He even said he resists the urge to go back and change stuff.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

Both of the two posts before me reiterate why I don't understand the negativity towards Gearbox.

They may not be perfect, but by God, things could be SO MUCH WORSE (i.e. GB still wasting time on the game, GB continuing to be secretive if things were in his hands, or the game becoming vaporware as Bam said).

View PostYatta, on Oct 12 2010, 09:25 PM, said:

Both of the two posts before me reiterate why I don't understand the negativity towards Gearbox.

They may not be perfect, but by God, things could be SO MUCH WORSE (i.e. GB still wasting time on the game, GB continuing to be secretive if things were in his hands, or the game becoming vaporware as Bam said).

What I don't understand is why do you want to be so grateful towards them?
Do you honestly believe that Randy got the game because the game CAN'T DIE OH NOES?
Randy wouldn't have taken DNF if it wasn't for money.
Gearbox and 2k are profit oriented companies, they don't spend 20-30 mil bucks out of their own pockets for stuff that might never see the light.
The difference between George and Randy is crucial.
Randy dances on the stage, jumps and screams and punches his chest saying that he is the alpha an omega of DNF, because he has bought it, not because he loves you, me or duke fans.
Him liking Duke Nukem as a character or Duke Nukem games in his private life, has nothing to do with business decisions or with what he is telling all of us in his interviews and stage shows.
That's what busts my balls here. To me it seems that many people make a big confusion between Randy the businessman and Randy the man!
When you see him on the stage and in interviews, that's Randy being at work and propagating his script which is part of his job.
George Broussard did not differentiate work from real life! For George Broussard, Duke Nukem was equally important both in his business and in his daily life.
Goerge Broussard has spent 20-30 million dollar$ out of his own pocket, and to me that's the ultimate proof that George was putting everything into DNF and he really meant everything he did for it!
Do you even realize what impact 20-30 million bucks can have on any human being's life? Even Bill Gates would have trouble sleeping a few nights if he knew he has just lost 20-30 million!
To me, pumping 20-30 million bucks into a videogame out of your own life savings and then being forced to sell the game for less, just because you don't have the extra 5 million bucks to finalize it, is worthy of a serious drama movie!
People should not be grateful that GBX saved DNF, people should just be happy that DNF got picked up by somebody(doesn't matter who).
If anybody from gearbox shows at least half of the dedication that George had, I would be willing to respect GBX too.
Until then GBX does not get more respect or appreciation than they had before all of this episode.
I could even think of a much better studio that could have finished DNF other than gearbox, so the whole Gearbox respect and appreciation context is just forced and has no substance IMHO.
However, this doesn't mean that we should start hating on Randy and taking pictures of him and editing them into all kinds of evil characters.
He is just a businessman that is hoping to make lots of money and coincidentally is finishing this game for his customers( me and you).

You can also consider this post as my reasoning behind why I won't post in this topic that you've made.
http://forums.duke4.net/index.php?showtopi...30&start=30

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 12 October 2010 - 11:24 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostMr.Deviance, on Oct 13 2010, 09:12 AM, said:

George Broussard did not differentiate work from real life!

If that's true then you have just nailed down the main reason why he failed. If all inventors/developers where like that we would have more than a hundred concepts of wheels nowadays but not a single one that is actually round. However, I won't praise GBX before having played the first DNF map.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options