Duke4.net Forums: Why does Gearbox pimp DNF like they've actually worked serious on it? - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why does Gearbox pimp DNF like they've actually worked serious on it?

User is offline   3dwizard 

What I don't understand here is why does Gearbox have such a big part in this release equation given the following documented circumstances?
When asked by a random person on twitter

Was this a joint effort of 3drealms and gearboxsoftware ? What % of 3DR code/etc was retained?

George responded:

Virtually all our content and game that we'd created through end of 09/early 10. More details later.

So after he said that there will be more details later, he actually did give some further details in some posts he made on shacknews like some of you already know.
And he said:

What you see coming from PAX right now is what we originally made at 3DR with polish and additional work by Triptych and assistance from Gearbox. http://www.triptychgames.com/

Now what I Noticed in particular is how he said that Gearbox merely ASSISTED Tryptych which by all means is safe to say that is still 3drealms's DNF studio under another name but with fewer devs! George even said that Tryptych was made in order to juggle through the legal matters in order to resume development on DNF during the trial!
So this officially makes Tryptych the 3drealms DNF studio for crisis situations like that trial!

So what I understand from all of this is that Gearbox is just assisting Triptych aka 3drealms DNF studio with fewer devs.
If this is the case then why the hell did Gearbox make all the show for DNF yesterday? Why was Gearbox allowed to pimp DNF for the first time and why did Randy Pitchford brag so much with DNF when in reality all they did was to ASSIST and blow the dust from some some corners?
Am I wrong to say that the ones who should have presented DNF yesterday should have been 3drealms with Triptych have Gearbox just mentioned a bit too?
I am really confused at what is the actual situation here. And could it be that Gearbox has now taken for granted even the shit elements that 3drealms was prototyping in DNF and now 3drealms can't ask Gearbox to remove them from the game?
The way I see it, 3drealms temporarily decided to use the 2 weapons system and before the managed to finally decide upon that, the trial happened, then Gearbox got the game and now when Georoge is having second thoughts over that 2 weapon feature he can't get it removed because Gearbox has taken full control over the game and nobody cares about 3drealm's opinion even if the entire game is their own work... OMFG MIND = BLOWN!

The situation is so complicated that it almost makes me think that DNF will get released to show exactly why it couldn't get released in all these years..
And you know what? I think George knows it too. I think he would even be willing to admit that if it wasn't for some cash. I appreciate his excuses and how he doesn't bull shit when he is asked something serious about negative points in dnf, which is why I suspect that he has a certain amount of issues with the game too and he is just at a point where he can't tell Gearbox to remove them!

This post has been edited by 3dwizard: 04 September 2010 - 06:42 PM

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

It's basically all developed by 3D Realms, a lot of Gearbox working on Duke Nukem Forever are former 3D Realms people. Technically it's all 3D Realms, no credit to Gearbox except for the financial support.

View PostSpirrwell, on Sep 4 2010, 06:44 PM, said:

It's basically all developed by 3D Realms, a lot of Gearbox working on Duke Nukem Forever are former 3D Realms people. Technically it's all 3D Realms, no credit to Gearbox except for the financial support.

Ok then why are they fucking pimping the game?
Did you know Randy Pitchford even called it a Garbox game in the kotaku interview?

The Duke Nukem Forever game that is finally playable by the public, the one here at PAX, is a mix of old and new. Some of the design elements, Pitchford said, date back to the project's late-90s inception and have been tweaked for the last 13 years. Other elements are six months old.

Pitchford described the current Duke Nukem Forever as "a Gearbox game," but one being made with a lot of talented help. A Vancouver studio called Piranha Games is on the project as well as a studio called Triptych. Duke co-creator Allen Blum works in Gearbox's Texas office, every day, Pitchford said, on the 10th floor, turning Duke Nukem Forever into a reality. Pitchford described Blum as the heart of the project. This is no Gearbox takeover. As Pitchford described it, there are people on Duke Nukem Forever who are deeply invested in it, who have a dream they want to make reality.

This post has been edited by 3dwizard: 04 September 2010 - 07:01 PM

Why does Gearbox pimp DNF like they've actually worked serious on it?

This is the problem I had with it. I guess they really wish it was theres?

User is offline   TJR 

View Post3dwizard, on Sep 4 2010, 06:34 PM, said:

So what I understand from all of this is that Gearbox is just assisting Triptych aka 3drealms DNF studio with fewer devs.
If this is the case then why the hell did Gearbox make all the show for DNF yesterday? Why was Gearbox allowed to pimp DNF for the first time

Gearbox owns the Duke IP and is producing the game (not 3D Realms), so it's theirs to show off. They may be overstating their involvement, but it's still officially their project, even if their role is primarily managerial.

As for Triptych, they're not a 3D Realms studio unless they're directly managed by 3D Realms. Legally, they're independent (managed by David Riegel) and they've been working out of Gearbox's offices ever since the project was handed over. It isn't like Broussard is on hand to direct them anymore.

and why did Randy Pitchford brag so much with DNF when in reality all they did was to ASSIST and blow the dust from some some corners?

It's ego. There's a colorful history between 3D Realms and Gearbox, and their salvaging/acquisition of DNF proves the latter right. Pitchford is a businessman/manager, and the whole situation is a triumph for him. Think of DNF as a prize or captured piece rather than just a computer game.

Edit: Come to think of it, the claim of saving and finally completing DNF looks good to publishers too.

Am I wrong to say that the ones who should have presented DNF yesterday should have been 3drealms with Triptych have Gearbox just mentioned a bit too?

Perhaps, but 3D Realms is officially out of the picture now, even if they had a hand in keeping staff together and in supporting the effort.

I am really confused at what is the actual situation here. And could it be that Gearbox has now taken for granted even the shit elements that 3drealms was prototyping in DNF and now 3drealms can't ask Gearbox to remove them from the game?
The way I see it, 3drealms temporarily decided to use the 2 weapons system and before the managed to finally decide upon that, the trial happened, then Gearbox got the game and now when Georoge is having second thoughts over that 2 weapon feature he can't get it removed because Gearbox has taken full control over the game and nobody cares about 3drealm's opinion even if the entire game is their own work... OMFG MIND = BLOWN!

No, George Broussard stands by his decision to to go with a two weapon system. It was his solution to the control issue, not a prototype or temporary measure. Remember that they were already on the road to completion (and probably pretty feature complete), so there was no longer any room to mess around. Time will tell whether the decision was the right one, but they committed to it.

Gearbox/Triptych can decide whether to stick with this system. However, given how adamant they are about how they're polishing the game and how it's almost ready for release, I doubt they'd make a drastic design change. People are already talking about how dated the game looks (and Take 2 is now speaking with retailers), so there's little incentive in prolonging the development cycle.

This post has been edited by TJR: 04 September 2010 - 07:05 PM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Somehow 9 people just seem a small number... might take more than the 3 to 6 months I thought...

3DREALMS AND TRYPTICH (SAME COMPANY ANYWAYS) MY HEROES!!

View PostTJR, on Sep 4 2010, 07:51 PM, said:

No, George Broussard stands by his decision to to go with a two weapon system. It was his solution to the control issue, not a prototype or temporary measure. Remember that they were already on the road to completion (and probably pretty feature complete), so there was no longer any room to mess around. Time will tell whether the decision was the right one, but they committed to it.

Well that's not entirely true. Aren't you aware that George acknowledged the 2 weapon system complaint and he said that 3drealms should be blamed for it? Why would he ask people to blame 3drealms for that if such a feature is 100% good?
He openly admitted that the 2 weapon system might change or not but no matter if it does it should be put on 3drealm's head!
George said:

Yeah, blame us for it if you want. It may change in the future and I don't know what will happen with it, but it was us.

So as you can see, he does acknowledge that they can be blamed for it, which officially makes it a problematic feature for a lot of people, old and new but especially old fps and dn3d fans!
Truth be told, I admit I am very annoyed by that feature too. I really liked the Jace Hall video where you could carry all the weapons at the same time.
Back then even Duke himself looked properly. All I see now is s new age console fps with lame modern mechanics and a 25 year old arrogant looking, money and high society snob that impersonates Duke Nukem.
I know Duke had a few bucks around to give them to strippers in dn3d, but having a whole fucking city dedicated to him and being the richest mother fucker in the country and having statues of himself and restaurants with DukeBurgers and presidential type paintings on his walls with him on the moon and shit like that, is not exactly what I remembered Duke Nukem for...
Who is he these days? Bill Gates? And whats with the statues? Is he the worlds biggest rapper or what? All that he's missing are gold chains at his neck and he is the perfect example of rich big muscled superficial personalities from our real life.
You know what? I think I got it all figured out. What I think, really happened and we're not being told, is that Gearbox didn't manage to save Duke Nukem in the last second like they are bragging!!! He actually DIED and to cover it up they used one of his stunt doubles to take his place in this new game! That's why he can only carry 2 weapons and he looks so young and cool wannabe :D

View PostTJR, on Sep 4 2010, 07:51 PM, said:

People are already talking about how dated the game looks (and Take 2 is now speaking with retailers), so there's little incentive in prolonging the development cycle.

I hope you know that even if that's not entirely true about the game looking dated, this graphics thing here is SO TOTALLY going to kill the sales of this game and turn it into the biggest fail of all times, when all the mw kids are going to poke at it just to troll around!
DNF will be subjected to more hate and negativism than Windows ME + Windows Vista + Crysis + Console vs Pc wars combined!
I don't doubt that for a second.
There's going to be so much hate going around that even some of us hardcore fans are going to fall into doubt and depression!
So prepare for DNF fan holocaust! Very soon (about when the first real hd media is out) it's going to be dangerous to call yourself a duke nukem fan!

This post has been edited by 3dwizard: 04 September 2010 - 07:37 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Guys,

It's not a big issue. You can feel butthurt for "3D Realms", or you can enjoy the game.

BTW, enjoy this tidbit if you didn't already know:

Randy Pitchford formerly worked at 3D Realms and was a member of the Duke Nukem 3D dev team as a mapper. (credited as Randall S. Pitchford III, "Duval Magic" or something like that.)

The same goes for a large number of 3D Realms employees, both at Gearbox and Tryptych. Don't worry, everybody's getting recognition.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

The mere fact that they're going to be explaining the state of the Duke IP and what really was happening with the changeover of DNF at the Gearbox panel tomorrow means that Gearbox aren't the group of douches 3dwizard claims they are. Which is what I think George was referring to when he said "more details later."

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Sep 4 2010, 09:06 PM, said:

The mere fact that they're going to be explaining the state of the Duke IP and what really was happening with the changeover of DNF at the Gearbox panel tomorrow means that Gearbox aren't the group of douches 3dwizard claims they are. Which is what I think George was referring to when he said "more details later."

Isn't it weird how last week we didn't know ANYTHING about DNF other than it's 90% dead and today we know like almost everything about duke not being dead yet we still have big questions about it that might not ever get answered?
The nature of this game and the people around it that produce it have always produced this kind of ambient of agitation, hype and questioning that always ended up getting answered after lots and LOTS of waiting just to end up being another excuse.

This post has been edited by 3dwizard: 04 September 2010 - 08:20 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Indeed. :D

View PostMr. Green, on Sep 5 2010, 03:19 AM, said:

I've paid my dues
Time after time
I've done my sentence
But committed no crime
And bad mistakes
I've made a few
I've had my share of sand kicked in my face
But I've come through

We are the champions, my friends
And we'll keep on fighting - till the end
We are the champions
We are the champions
No time for losers
Cause we are the champions - of the world

I've taken my bows
And my curtain calls
You brought me fame and fortune and everything that goes with it
I thank you all

But it's been no bed of roses
No pleasure cruise -
I consider it a challenge before the whole human race
And I aint gonna lose -

We are the champions - my friends
And we'll keep on fighting - till the end
We are the champions
We are the champions
No time for losers
Cause we are the champions - of the world

I already reported you for being a troll no more need to transform your post 10 times.

User is offline   Green 

Stop making Splats job harder :D

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

:D Stop bitching, or next time it won't be just your posts that'll be removed.

View Post3dwizard, on Sep 4 2010, 07:26 PM, said:

Well that's not entirely true. Aren't you aware that George acknowledged the 2 weapon system complaint and he said that 3drealms should be blamed for it? Why would he ask people to blame 3drealms for that if such a feature is 100% good?
He openly admitted that the 2 weapon system might change or not but no matter if it does it should be put on 3drealm's head!
George said:

So as you can see, he does acknowledge that they can be blamed for it, which officially makes it a problematic feature for a lot of people, old and new but especially old fps and dn3d fans!
Truth be told, I admit I am very annoyed by that feature too. I really liked the Jace Hall video where you could carry all the weapons at the same time.
Back then even Duke himself looked properly. All I see now is s new age console fps with lame modern mechanics and a 25 year old arrogant looking, money and high society snob that impersonates Duke Nukem.
I know Duke had a few bucks around to give them to strippers in dn3d, but having a whole fucking city dedicated to him and being the richest mother fucker in the country and having statues of himself and restaurants with DukeBurgers and presidential type paintings on his walls with him on the moon and shit like that, is not exactly what I remembered Duke Nukem for...
Who is he these days? Bill Gates? And whats with the statues? Is he the worlds biggest rapper or what? All that he's missing are gold chains at his neck and he is the perfect example of rich big muscled superficial personalities from our real life.
You know what? I think I got it all figured out. What I think, really happened and we're not being told, is that Gearbox didn't manage to save Duke Nukem in the last second like they are bragging!!! He actually DIED and to cover it up they used one of his stunt doubles to take his place in this new game! That's why he can only carry 2 weapons and he looks so young and cool wannabe :D

I hope you know that even if that's not entirely true about the game looking dated, this graphics thing here is SO TOTALLY going to kill the sales of this game and turn it into the biggest fail of all times, when all the mw kids are going to poke at it just to troll around!
DNF will be subjected to more hate and negativism than Windows ME + Windows Vista + Crysis + Console vs Pc wars combined!
I don't doubt that for a second.
There's going to be so much hate going around that even some of us hardcore fans are going to fall into doubt and depression!
So prepare for DNF fan holocaust! Very soon (about when the first real hd media is out) it's going to be dangerous to call yourself a duke nukem fan!

Look I know alot of people are bitter about the two weapons thing, but 3DWizard i know you are trying to twist GB comments to suit your arguement but even he said "blame us for it" that doesn't mean he's admitting its wrong he's heading off complains and standing by the choice they made.

And BTW the graphics are fine.

User is offline   Kathy 

Doesn't Gearbox own Treptych?

Nope, Triptych is a separate company set up by David Riegel and others in June 2009 before Gearbox got invovled.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Tryptych is now part of Gearbox.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Gearbox bought the rights to the game, they paid the dosh out to finish it so they pimp it. Shouldn't need explaining or threading or discussion of that point.

User is offline   ferran275 

View PostTea Monster, on Sep 21 2010, 07:41 AM, said:

Gearbox bought the rights to the game, they paid the dosh out to finish it so they pimp it. Shouldn't need explaining or threading or discussion of that point.

Exactly.

Sadly, it's all about money, if I had the money, and I had gone to Texas and offered to take the game off their hands, for the right price they would have been fine with it. Money makes the world go 'round, if it had been me it would have been "ferran275 studios" presents DNF, lol

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Actually 3DR went to Gearbox. Not the other way around.

View Post3dwizard, on Sep 5 2010, 06:26 AM, said:

I already reported you for being a troll no more need to transform your post 10 times.

WOW talk about the pot calling the kettle black

View Postcanada4duke, on Sep 23 2010, 07:47 AM, said:

WOW talk about the pot calling the kettle black

Canada4duke, you are Joe Siegler's biggest ass kisser and I've openly made this statement here before.
Obviously you hate me because of that and you feel the need to quote an old post made on 5 sept that is none of your business, in hope that you will ignite some drama here.
I understand what you want to achieve, It's in your nature to do so, so I will forgive you :)

In addition, I request for this topic to be locked as I am done with it.

This post has been edited by 3dwizard: 23 September 2010 - 09:46 AM

View Post3dwizard, on Sep 23 2010, 01:41 PM, said:

Canada4duke, you are Joe Siegler's biggest ass kisser and I've openly made this statement here before.
Obviously you hate me because of that and you feel the need to quote an old post made on 5 sept that is none of your business, in hope that you will ignite some drama here.
I understand what you want to achieve, It's in your nature to do so, so I will forgive you :)

I don't know where all your anger has come from, but I don't hate you.
pity maybe
but not hate

• The Sarien Encounter

I think I've found a new person to ignore....

You have chosen to ignore all posts from: 3dwizard.

· View this post
· Un-ignore 3dwizard

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 23 September 2010 - 01:49 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View Post3dwizard, on Sep 23 2010, 09:41 AM, said:

ROFLMAO!

Get back under your bridge!

• The Sarien Encounter

Ask not what the Duke4.net forums can do for you, ask what you can do for the Duke4.net forums.

User is offline   Martin 

3dwizard ftw. Am I his only fan?

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

It's a GOOD thing that Gearbox "pimps" DNF, because they own it. If people identify DNF with Gearbox, then it puts Gearbox's reputation on the line, as it should be. This will give them more motivation to improve the game. If it's a bad game, then ultimately it is Gearbox's responsibility, because they could have taken more time to polish it and fix the flaws.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostTea Monster, on Sep 21 2010, 11:41 AM, said:

This.

View PostDeeperThought, on Sep 25 2010, 04:11 PM, said:

It's a GOOD thing that Gearbox "pimps" DNF, because they own it. If people identify DNF with Gearbox, then it puts Gearbox's reputation on the line, as it should be. This will give them more motivation to improve the game. If it's a bad game, then ultimately it is Gearbox's responsibility, because they could have taken more time to polish it and fix the flaws.

And this.

It's Gearbox's JOB to pimp this game, 3D Realms is out of the picture. Do you want DNF to be some sort of a sleeper hit? Or, would you actually like to see an ad campaign, and all the goodies that go along with that, like merchandise? I would love to see a new figure line, and some t-shirts, but maybe I'm just an idiot, and DNF deserves no pimping.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 25 September 2010 - 03:47 PM

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options