Duke4.net Forums: Why does Gearbox pimp DNF like they've actually worked serious on it? - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why does Gearbox pimp DNF like they've actually worked serious on it?

In reply to this thread - Why does Gearbox pimp DNF like they've actually worked serious on it?

Here is my 2 cents (or whatever it is worth)

If 3DR had finished DNF, wouldn't it be just as bad for GB to pimp DNF in the media like he actually seriously worked on it?

Since we all know over the past 13 years he did next to nothing to keep the project on track.

It would be fair to pimp it out since 3DR used to own the IP, bu the only ones that deserve to say they worked on it are the boys at Triptych.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostJeager1999, on Oct 20 2010, 11:42 AM, said:

for good long time now.

So, I take it a month and a quarter is a long time?
Shit, I can pass a month so fast as if it were nothing to me.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 20 October 2010 - 08:23 AM

User is offline   Jeager1999 

View PostStrikerMan780, on Oct 20 2010, 08:21 AM, said:

So, I take it a month and a quarter is a long time?
Shit, I can pass a month so fast as if it were nothing to me.

I'm just saying is all. You all shot me down when I thought of how GBX's lack of info is almost similar to 3DR 13years of BS.....Once and for all is it 12, 13 or 14 years? I feel its 14.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostJeager1999, on Oct 20 2010, 10:03 PM, said:

I'm just saying is all. You all shot me down when I thought of how GBX's lack of info is almost similar to 3DR 13years of BS.....Once and for all is it 12, 13 or 14 years? I feel its 14.

14 since Duke3D 1996. DNF was officially announced in 1997 I believe.

User is offline   X-Vector 

DNF was announced on April 28 1997, although the game was already mentioned in a press release a couple of days earlier.

Would the text at the end of Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition not count as an announcement of sorts?

View PostCommando Nukem, on Oct 20 2010, 09:19 PM, said:

14 since Duke3D 1996. DNF was officially announced in 1997 I believe.

You believed right.

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostHigh Treason, on Oct 21 2010, 12:19 PM, said:

Would the text at the end of Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition not count as an announcement of sorts?

Was that the announcment of the FPS DNF or the side-scroller version?

Hmm, I can't say for certain, all it says is "Thanks to all our fans for giving us big heads, look for a Duke Nukem 3D Sequel soon!".

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Then it's DNF.

If you think this is bad, imagine what would happen if DNF would be a mega hit.
IMO, if DNF would be a hit, tens or even hundreds of thousands of kids that never heard about Duke Nukem before, might start flooding these forums.
It's funny how this forum is just a small reunion place for true fans and a few trolls. Imagine if DNF would reach Halo or GOW popularity levels.
To have the user base jump from 100 to 10.000 in a week!!!
Imagine having 1000 Duke Nukem fans browsing this forum at the same time after DNF is out.
It would transform this forum from a neighborhood for duke nukem fans into a continent of duke nukem cultists.
I would so love to see Duke Nukem being reborn and becoming a modern and VERY popular characater.
Imagine if that happened, we here would all become veterans by default. Even trolls like pikatchu would become veterans if the whole Duke Nukem scene would explode in a halo/mw2/tf2/l4d/portal/gow way.
Imagine even half of the WOW or Starcraft fanbase numbers. Imagine those numbers to suddenly become Duke Nukem fanbase numbers.
I would love this to happen, all the current users here would get their own private jets lol.
I think yatta would be somewhere at the table with Bill Gates if that happened.

So before anybody bitches about corporatism and trolling now, think about what COULD happen if DNF hits the jackpot.
It's enough to have the crysis fanbase and everything would explode.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 21 October 2010 - 09:06 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostMr.Deviance, on Oct 21 2010, 07:02 PM, said:

Imagine having 1000 Duke Nukem fans browsing this forum at the same time after DNF is out.
It would transform this forum from a neighborhood for duke nukem fans into a continent of duke nukem cultists.

Or a subcontinent of idiots who have been banned from the Gearbox forums and use this place as an insulting training camp.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostLeoD, on Oct 21 2010, 11:57 PM, said:

Or a subcontinent of idiots who have been banned from the Gearbox forums and use this place as an insulting training camp.

I hope that would never happen! :(

We don't like newfags around here, I will single handedly stop the kiddies coming in!

View PostHigh Treason, on Oct 21 2010, 01:05 PM, said:

We don't like newfags around here, I will single handedly stop the kiddies coming in!

:(

View PostHigh Treason, on Oct 21 2010, 03:05 PM, said:

I assume this would happen while you are getting blown by two girls at the same time, while drawing a dick on a whiteboard, and throwing a huge-ass turd at the nearest ceiling fan.

This post has been edited by BraveTriforcer: 21 October 2010 - 12:18 PM

View PostMr.Deviance, on Oct 21 2010, 06:02 PM, said:

If you think this is bad, imagine what would happen if DNF would be a mega hit.
IMO, if DNF would be a hit, tens or even hundreds of thousands of kids that never heard about Duke Nukem before, might start flooding these forums.
It's funny how this forum is just a small reunion place for true fans and a few trolls. Imagine if DNF would reach Halo or GOW popularity levels.
To have the user base jump from 100 to 10.000 in a week!!!
I would so love to see Duke Nukem being reborn and becoming a modern and VERY popular characater.
Imagine if that happened, we here would all become veterans by default. Even trolls like pikatchu would become veterans if the whole Duke Nukem scene would explode in a halo/mw2/tf2/l4d/portal/gow way.
Imagine even half of the WOW or Starcraft fanbase numbers. Imagine those numbers to suddenly become Duke Nukem fanbase numbers.
I would love this to happen, all the current users here would get their own private jets lol.
I think yatta would be somewhere at the table with Bill Gates if that happened.

So before anybody bitches about corporatism and trolling now, think about what COULD happen if DNF hits the jackpot.
It's enough to have the crysis fanbase and everything would explode.

I hate that kind of idea, more trollers
But yeah i like to see Duke reborn, but not by those little f****

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

You people are so fucking dumb. Even if it's NOT Gearbox's work, it is still their place to pimp the game. Why? Because they own it, and they have to foot the bill if it's not a smash hit. Pull your heads out of your asses.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Oct 22 2010, 04:33 PM, said:

You people are so fucking dumb. Even if it's NOT Gearbox's work, it is still their place to pimp the game. Why? Because they own it, and they have to foot the bill if it's not a smash hit. Pull your heads out of your asses.

That doesn't make it more right or wrong. I think most people are leaning toward the morality issue of the subject, not the legal.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Morality doesn't enter into it in this case. It's a business. Obviously Triptych doesn't mind so why should we?

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Oct 22 2010, 06:53 PM, said:

Obviously Triptych doesn't mind so why should we?

Because people are allowed to form their own opinions on a subject.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Not pimping it would be immoral. Gearbox is a business, they know simplicity is necessary. Explaining the whole ordeal is just confusing. Instead of saying "This game these other guys made, sold to us so that a group of them and a bunch of other people we hired, plus some of our own staff could band together and finish it." he can just say "We've done a great job on this game, buy it or kill yourself." He's trying to sell a product, not write a factual account. Gearbox is the only company in position to pimp the game. They own it. This is how things work. It's like saying a movie production company shouldn't pimp a movie just because they didn't direct it.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Well played.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Oct 23 2010, 02:14 AM, said:

Not pimping it would be immoral. Gearbox is a business, they know simplicity is necessary.

How is it not immoral? Sure Gearbox is a business but that dosen't mean they can't hype a game and give proper credit at the same time., while keeping it simple.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Oct 22 2010, 01:33 PM, said:

How about you pull your head out of everybody's ass and start learning what fair marketing is.
When a commercial entity starts to advertise a product that was recently acquired from another commercial entity, with words like "we did" "we worked", that's called unfair marketing.
Also, if your goal was more than to troll here, you would have noticed this topic was made on Sep 4 2010, back when things were much more blurry/different and Gearbox was not bothering to mention 3drealms and they were simply advertising the game as being made by them.
IMO this topic has run it's course since some weeks now. Debating this subject right now seems rather useless.
This subject will be relevant again after the game is out and we get to experience all the stages of their marketing plan.
The routine in which the gearbox marketing plan for DNF has been stuck lately, will change eventually and we will see other forms of publicity made for this game.

So for everybody's sake, just STFU Captain Awesome because you are not awesome at all, you're just a dumb and boring person with a questionable sexual orientation (based on your avatar), that likes to always post against the current to provoke and annoy anybody that has some valid points.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 23 October 2010 - 02:59 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

How about you're an idiot and let's leave it at that? Good? Ok.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Oct 23 2010, 08:21 AM, said:

How about, if go fuck yourself in a big homosexual way? Good? Ok.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 23 October 2010 - 08:47 AM

User is offline   zwieback 

haha fair marketing. funny :(

View Postzwieback, on Oct 23 2010, 09:30 AM, said:

haha fair marketing. funny :(

Why is it funny? Fair marketing does exist, it's just a matter of customer subjectivity.
My idea of fair marketing is when you don't treat your customers like they are all dumb asses that can't get the slightest hint of what you are up to, hoping they will bite anything you throw at them.
But that's just my idea of what fair marketing means and it obviously doesn't mean it's true.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 23 October 2010 - 08:51 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostReaperMan, on Oct 23 2010, 02:52 AM, said:

How is it not immoral? Sure Gearbox is a business but that dosen't mean they can't hype a game and give proper credit at the same time., while keeping it simple.

Maybe, but regardless, Triptych is part of Gearbox. Triptych is pretty much everybody from 3DR except Scott Miller and George Broussard, give or take. So by saying we, he's definitely including Triptych, and probably Piranha and the rest as well.

View PostMr.Deviance, on Oct 23 2010, 04:09 AM, said:

How about you pull your head out of everybody's ass and start learning what fair marketing is.
When a commercial entity starts to advertise a product that was recently acquired from another commercial entity, with words like "we did" "we worked", that's called unfair marketing.
Also, if your goal was more than to troll here, you would have noticed this topic was made on Sep 4 2010, back when things were much more blurry/different and Gearbox was not bothering to mention 3drealms and they were simply advertising the game as being made by them.
IMO this topic has run it's course since some weeks now. Debating this subject right now seems rather useless.
This subject will be relevant again after the game is out and we get to experience all the stages of their marketing plan.
The routine in which the gearbox marketing plan for DNF has been stuck lately, will change eventually and we will see other forms of publicity made for this game.

So for everybody's sake, just STFU Captain Awesome because you are not awesome at all, you're just a dumb and boring person with a questionable sexual orientation (based on your avatar), that likes to always post against the current to provoke and annoy anybody that has some valid points.

Oh, we're dealing with a smart one, here! If you truly read, I was replying to posts made before and around Oct. 22, 2010. The same day I posted. Think of that! It is Gearbox's game, and they can advertise as they see fit. They are trying to sell a product, that is it. You can't advertise and fill your consumers with unimportant details. Your typical Halo player just doesn't give a shit. Don't even go down the road of "no one cares about you," I've been around for 10+ years. Everyone knows who I am, they may not like me, but you on the other hand are nameless and no one gives a shit about you. I happen to be very good friends with the webmaster, Yatta, and in fact, he designed my avatar about 6 years ago.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Oct 23 2010, 11:21 AM, said:

Aye!

View PostMr.Deviance, on Oct 23 2010, 12:22 PM, said:

How about, if go fuck yourself in a big homosexual way? Good? Ok.

Oh, how original. Get out of here, you stupid fucking jock.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 23 October 2010 - 09:39 AM

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options