Duke4.net Forums: Extremely Small Dnf Screenshot Released. - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Extremely Small Dnf Screenshot Released.

3D Realms has released the first DNF screenshot in 6 years:

I guess I'll reconfirm what I said last night. That's an in game, real-time shot of Duke standing in a random hallway. It was really done as a small teaser for a job ad on Gamasutra.com. Nothing more.

I'm glad some of you enjoyed it, and we'll show more later as we start to wake from our slumber and decide how best to show the game off.
- George Broussard, January 27nd, 2007.

It kicks ass even at such a low resolution.

User is offline   oakman 

View PostKristian Joensen, on Jan 26 2007, 06:11 PM, said:

SCREENSHOT AT LAST! SCREENSHOT AT LAST!! GOD ALLMIGHTY A SCEENSHOT AT LAST!!!

User is offline   ultra tree 85! 

• Honored Donor

View PostKristian Joensen, on Jan 26 2007, 04:11 PM, said:

YES!

THIS IS AWESOME!

Duke is looking absolutely great!!!! :)

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

I guess this pretty much lays to rest any fears anyone's had about the visual quality of the game. :) I'm stoked as ever.

User is offline   Micki! 

• Candy Consumptionist & Administrator

No doubts it's gonna rock with THESE looks... :)

User is offline   hiob 

Finally some good news on Duke. :)

User is offline   Cerberus_e 

No doubt I won't be able to run it well enough :) Seems like I'll play the game a few years later than everyone else.

User is offline   Nihilanth 

I think it's decent. But the fact that there is actually new media coming (maybe EVEN this year) is really encouraging. I'm happy now. :)

View PostCerberus_e, on Jan 27 2007, 07:32 PM, said:

No doubt I won't be able to run it well enough :) Seems like I'll play the game a few years later than everyone else.

I am curious why you say that ? What are your current specs ?

User is offline   St3amb0 

finally we are blessed with Duke. THX 3DR you made my month! xD

User is offline   ultra tree 85! 

• Honored Donor

View PostCerberus_e, on Jan 27 2007, 11:32 AM, said:

I wonder if I'll be able to run it on my 2 GHz machine with a 256mb Geforce 5500 and 512mb of system ram. B)

User is offline   Steve 

• Honored Donor

Looks great :)

View Postultra tree 85!, on Jan 28 2007, 01:43 AM, said:

I wonder if I'll be able to run it on my 2 GHz machine with a 256mb Geforce 5500 and 512mb of system ram. :)

I think that is a bit unlikely considering that:

1)The Geforce FX series are really really bad cards.(Yours is not even listed as supported by Prey even though the Geforce 3 and 4 are listed as supported and the FX 5800 and FX 5900 are listed).
2) You processor is a 2 Ghz one and on the last report they where running it on "3-3.4ghz" processors and that was a year ago.
3)The game may very well require SM3.0 support like Rainbow Six Vegas. does(considering it will even likely ship 1-1½ years after that game and they 3DR have been running on mainly 6800's for 1-1½ if not longer already).
4)Even IF the game supports SM2.0 it may support SM2b only at that is the Radeon 9xxx optimized version, I don't know if that will run at all on a FX series card.
5)You have a very limited amount of ram, 3DR are running with 2 GB's of ram that is 4x what you have.
6)Even if they support regular old SM2 it is simply not that simple in order to run the game your system including your graphics card needs to not only support all the non-option features it needs to be able to handle the texture resolution, polygon counts, etc used in the game. Likely it won't do that.
Edit:
7)There is also the issue of raw shader power, I have read somewhere(Wikipedia I think) that the FX series is a mix of Fixed Function, DX8 shader and DX9 shader hardware. DNF is a shader heavy game and when asked if it made a hardcore or mild use of shaders George's answer was that it was "hardcore".
Edit2:
8)I see you CPU and Ram just EXACTLY match the Prey minimum requirements making it HIGHLY unlikely that you will be able to play DNF with that rig.

View PostKristian Joensen, on Jan 28 2007, 12:26 AM, said:

I am curious why you say that ? What are your current specs ?

The same as since I upgraded... 2.6 ghz, 6600GT, 1 GB RAM... and I notice it has trouble with recent games. I need to play them on lower quality again, and even then there are still slowdowns every now and then (that breaks the immersion!). Especially the El Matador demo I played.

User is offline   avatar_58 

View PostCerberus_e, on Jan 27 2007, 02:32 PM, said:

Thats what I'm worried about too. B)

User is offline   Iggy 

View PostCerberus_e, on Jan 27 2007, 11:32 AM, said:

I don't think I should worry as I just bought a € 2300,- rig (just the housing with internal hardware).

Cerberus_e, I see. With that CPU I doubt. But the graphics card should be bale to run it on low at least. The ram amount is the same as what George recommend for games in general. But yeah with that CPU I doubt it. How about you newly acquired laptop ? What where the spec for that again ?

I don't think I should worry as I just bought a € 2300,- rig (just the housing with internal hardware).

Hey that is pretty cool what are the specs ?

User is offline   Iggy 

View PostKristian Joensen, on Jan 28 2007, 10:36 AM, said:

Hey that is pretty cool what are the specs ?

CPU: AMD Athlon AM2 5200+
Mobo: Asus M2N-2
Mem: Kingston HyperX 4Gb DDR2-800
Sound: Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer OEM
Video: GeForce 8800GT*
HD: Western Digital 160Gb S-ATA (1x), Western Digital 250Gb S-ATA (2x), Western Digital 400Gb S-ATA (1x)
Power: CoolerMaster iGreen power 500 Watt
Housing: Lian Li PC-V2000B Plus
Aopen DVD-burner/player.

Not fully sure whether I should get a 8800 GTX or GTS. Anyway, this might be enough of at least running DNF at low detail.

View PostKristian Joensen, on Jan 28 2007, 01:36 PM, said:

AMD 64 FX-53
BFG Geforce 6800GT
2048mb RAM

I can run todays games like Oblivion and Double Agent still, but I imagine when the UE3 games come I won't be able to play them. Considering I'm not interested in Crysis, UT3 or Quake Wars I don't mind much.

I'm just worried about Bioshock and whenever DNF gets here.

You should't be really. Lets take DNF as an example your graphics card AND your ram amount is what George described as teh standard for them and your procecssor is pretty neat one.

As for UE3 games well have your tried the demo and/or full version of Rainbow Six Vegas ?

That might be a good benchmark for that. Crysis is said to be able to run on hardware that is two years old by the time of its release and we know that it will support SM2.0 even and your card supports SM3.0. Also all indications we have from Epic would seem to indicate that while your system won't be running UE3 games at the absolutely highest settings with everything on and at the maximum setting possible at 1600x1200, etc You will still be able to run UE3 games just fine.

I wouldn't worry that much about it if I where you.

For instance here are the stated mimimum requirements of Rainbow Six Vegas that I found on the Ubisoft site, you meet or break all of them:

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas Download Minimum System Requirements

Supported OS:Windows XP (only)
Processor:P4 3Ghz or AMD equivalent
RAM:1024 Mb
Video Card:128MB, Shader Model 3 and DirectX 9.0c compatible
Sound Card:DirectX 9.0c compatible
DirectX Version:DirectX 9.0c
* Peripherals Supported:
Mouse, keyboard, headsets, Xbox360 Controller, etc.
* Multiplay:
Local area network (LAN) and/or 128kbit Cable/DSL connection for online game

User is offline   Nihilanth 

Might as well post my rig. I just bought it last week.

CPU: Core 2 Duo 6400 | 2.13GHz
MEM: 2GB | Goodram PC667
GFX: GeForce 8800 GTX | Gigabyte

It's not the highest end thing but it was already expensive enough, especially in Poland. The card was almost 800$ and it's much more than in US for instance. Oh well, I hope it'll serve me well for some time. :)

Kristian - Who knows, maybe I'll try that Vegas demo to find out. I'm basing some of my worries on the fact that Double Agent required some loss in detail to get good speeds. Considering thats only UE2 + some graphical enhancements, I'm worried UE3 will be a hog. Then again I've also heard DA was a buggy unoptimized mess of code so it's hard to tell.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View Postavatar_58, on Jan 28 2007, 06:18 PM, said:

Then again I've also heard DA was a buggy unoptimized mess of code so it's hard to tell.

You've heard correctly.

Your best benchmark would be Rainbow Six: Vegas. Not only is it using a similar engine (if not nearly the same one) as DNF, it has levels based in... you guessed it: Vegas--just like DNF. :)

User is offline   MartyMcFly 

woot! time to blow dust off my acount here and make an appearance after the all holy Duke thumbnail pic.

im getting a new PC soon so im pretty happy that DNF is locked in its current engine and isnt going to switch to a U4 engine. *touches wood*

No Kristian, my laptop has even worse specs (but I don't mind, I didn't buy this laptop to play games)... I'd rather play on a PC anyway.

View Postavatar_58, on Jan 29 2007, 03:18 AM, said:

Kristian - Who knows, maybe I'll try that Vegas demo to find out.

AAahh... is there a demo for that? Good that I know :)

User is offline   corepal752 

DN4 will be released when 3DRealms goes bankrupt and sells the DN4 IP rights to some game developer or publisher. George B. obviously has not gone through the proper education of project management. With a company game motto of "It will be done when it's done" is a sure sign that the management staff and R&D teams have no idea how to handle PM issues like scope creep. Yes I can understand that developing a world class game and integrating a game built on proven technology is an extremely challenging task, but there is no excuse to have a project span 10+ years. This shows lack of leadership, focus, and the ability to deliver under pressure. The only thing George B. is doing smart is by investing his money in other titles for development like Prey, Max Payne, etc. I'm sure George B. has a dream of DN4 and he will not release it until it's perfect in his eyes, but in the meantime...I'm sure his staff is losing faith in his ability to lead.

A long time ago when I talked to Michael Abrash (i.e., ex-id programmer and John Carmack friend) at a conference, he said 3 words over and over that was the key to his speech.

"Just ship it!"

George B. .... please take note.

And by the way... after I saw this link, I denounced George B and his lost company 3DRealms.

The original Duke graphics were stolen from a game called Turrican. Can you explain this George B?

http://www.nemmelhei...ican/news/duke/

Now...all of you fans out there. What if you were the co-founder of the game Turrican. I'm sure you wouldn't think highly of 3DRealms. I could be wrong, but do your own research.

ex-duke fan

User is offline   X3NOMORPH 

Mmm i never seen those comparisons before... interesting... :)

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

View PostX3NOMORPH, on Jan 31 2007, 10:35 AM, said:

Mmm i never seen those comparisons before... interesting... :)

There have been plenty threads about that in the 3DRealms forum over the years.
Nobody cares really, except people with a grudge against 3DR.
Maybe Kristian can come up with a quote about that. B)
---
Corepal752,
George more than once confessed that they / he fucked up, including giving some reasons. ( insert quote i'm not bothering to look up. )
Why and how exactly, it took so long is nobody's business except theirs anyway.
And Bankrupt? Selling Duke IP? Come on, that's just bullshit.

User is offline   Micki! 

• Candy Consumptionist & Administrator

3DR's reason for being late (the 10 years that is) is perfectly understandable (not saying it's acceptable though, as it obviously isn't in your case)
it's no help in bitching about it, nothing will be gained from that
What people should do, is wait for the game and hope it's good, or ignore the game, and just forget it

If people don't like how things are, they shouldn't bother telling anyone, that's not doing anything but fighting

I'm no good with these kinds of arguments, but i know they are good at ruining threads like these, so please stay on topic and discuss what the subject says (the screenshot that is) and not any past complications and hate mail...

User is offline   Charger 

View PostMicki!, on Jan 31 2007, 09:09 PM, said:

3DR's reason for being late (the 10 years that is) is perfectly understandable (not saying it's acceptable though, as it obviously isn't in your case)
it's no help in bitching about it, nothing will be gained from that
What people should do, is wait for the game and hope it's good, or ignore the game, and just forget it

If people don't like how things are, they shouldn't bother telling anyone, that's not doing anything but fighting

I'm no good with these kinds of arguments, but i know they are good at ruining threads like these, so please stay on topic and discuss what the subject says (the screenshot that is) and not any past complications and hate mail...

I agree

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options