Duke4.net Forums: status of eduke multiplayer? - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

status of eduke multiplayer?

User is offline   SubCog 

Hi! So I held a eduke lanparty last night. Had too much trouble getting it to run in multiplayer. We eventually downloaded the latest multiplayer prototype build, and that helped, but we still experienced lots of problems. Getting killed when entering an elevator, server crashing when we changed levels, etc.

I'd love to run eduke at more langames, but I need to get it working first. Am I doing somethign wrong?

User is online   Lunick 

No, its still being worked on

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

TX said it's not abandoned but it has slowed down due to him moving and anticipating his oncoming newborn.

User is offline   Cam 

Yeah I tried a million different things, including changing computers, using different computers as servers etc. etc. I am experiencing the same problems that you mention. Mainly random crashing, usually the server. Can't wait until the network playing is fixed. Is there any way I can contribute to this? Providing error messages, logs etc.?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Not really, it's just a matter of TX finding the time to get around to it, which might not be for a while as MusicallyInspired indicated.

I also came here looking for info on Duke multiplayer. It's a shame it isn't stable right now.

I have found two interesting posts which might help you if you really want to do multiplayer

http://forums.duke4....?showtopic=1237
-Last post, he found an old version of DukePlus that works with eduke32 (an October 2009 build)
-Not sure if/when the multiplayer code was changed in eDuke

http://forums.duke4....?showtopic=2282
-December 30, 2008 version of eDuke32 "works perfectly"
-Maybe you could use this with that old DukePlus version?
-There are some links to download the compiled code, but here's a link to the source revision: http://eduke32.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/...p;revision=1195
-Also, if you want to try different revisions of the new code to find one that works best, here's the source tree for the network code: http://eduke32.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/...32/source/enet/ you can see when a file was last changed, and if you click on the file name it will give you a list of revisions that the file was changed.

eDuke32 appears to have rewritten the networking code around December 5th 2009, and apparently the networking code has never fully worked (from what I've read - can't find this info in one place). I'm trying to put a pack together with all the files I need to do multiplayer (so my friends and I will have the same code), and I'm thinking of using the latest Duke Plus and eDuke32 for single player games, and having YANG set up to run either xduke or the old version of eduke32 for multiplayer.

For DukePlus, it looks like it hasn't had any complete re-writes, just updates. I'm not sure how much they've changed in the eduke32 source (if any, I can't seem to find that anywhere, or even if you can run Duke Plus with a different version of eduke32). If nothing's really changed in the eduke32 source, and you could find the old version that worked with networking, and identify the version that stopped working, you might be able to blast through the networking issues. If all of the code is in the CON files, you should be able to apply the changes between versions to the working copy, and when it stops working you've identified what caused the problems. Then test newer versions with the fix applied, and keep going until you've arrived at the latest version.

Please forgive any ignorance, I haven't worked with Duke Nukem for quite a few years.

This post has been edited by BrentNewland: 04 September 2010 - 11:08 PM

User is offline   Skulldog 

This works with Yang. You can use this, until eduke32 is finished.

http://www.proasm.co...uke3dw_v420.zip

This post has been edited by Skulldog: 05 September 2010 - 03:33 PM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Sorry to bump, but what's the status now? Has the netcode been worked on any?

• Honored Donor

Yeah TX made several improvements since this thread was written, but it's still unfinished.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Since it is now January of 2012 now, I figured I'd bump this, checking up on the status of the multiplayer thus far... How is it going? Any improvements so far? Is it playable at least in Dukematch? Just figured I'd bring it up, as I've been curious about it since my long hiatus. (Disappeared due to difficult times in life... but, I'm not going to derail this by rambling about it.)

• Honored Donor

There have been no updates since you last posted in this thread to the multiplayer. Hopefully 2012 will be the year where things get done for Duke.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Yeah, DNF has given me back my taste for Dukematch.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

To be honest when MP is up and running again you'll hear about it from us as we sound the trumpets.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 24 January 2012 - 04:48 PM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

I suspect it will be Helix that ends up fixing it.

• Honored Donor

I think it's important that everyone keeps pushing for the multiplayer to be finished to show the devs that there's still a lot of interest in that area, so that they won't keep dismissing it as a low priority as has been done for the past year or so, otherwise it'll never get done. Unless there really isn't a lot of interest in the multiplayer Posted Image

I want to play multiplayer so bad :S coop with friends, against friends, playing my own maps with friends, coding some stuff, and make my mod go multiplayer :D

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I think that everyone knows that just about every Duke fan out there is salivating for it.

You can't push people to do it though. Real Life happens, jobs happen, people have families and responsibilities. You can't ask them to put all that to one side and spend all their lives coding. The animation system has been on the back burner for years, the Polymer is desperately in need of tweaking to be really useable for mods - there is a lot of stuff that needs doing.

Unless we get a couple of more coders on board, I'm thinking it's going to take a while.

User is offline   Arwu 

Im looking forward to play with new multiplayer code too :D
ach my dream is to play with Dukeplus mod on multi :D

• Weaponized Autism

View PostTea Monster, on 25 January 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

Unless we get a couple of more coders on board, I'm thinking it's going to take a while.

We don't necessarily need more coders, we just need more time. Bringing on new coders runs the usual risks of having someone not understand the project's "philosophy" and coding style. In other words, they might do something that against the grain.

Similarly, the people who know best how to do stuff are the people that built the project or particular feature in question. Plagman is the man for the job for anything Polymer-related. TX and/or Helix could handle the MP code.

(I idle in #eduke32 and this is where I have gotten these impressions.)

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Your impressions are spot on, but realistically if there was an additional coder specializing in networking (who I could instruct on how best to work with the EDuke32 source) then the multiplayer probably would have been "finished" by now.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostTX, on 25 January 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:

Your impressions are spot on, but realistically if there was an additional coder specializing in networking (who I could instruct on how best to work with the EDuke32 source) then the multiplayer probably would have been "finished" by now.

Why not offer that job on duke4.net's frontpage?

View PostTX, on 25 January 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:

Could you use the original netcode for multiplaying? Not the -server or -connect version but the /net n0:2 or /net n xxx.xxx.xx.xx (ip address) version. The last original netcode with Polymer I believe is version 20091213-1566. Could that be improved at all?

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostLeoD, on 25 January 2012 - 06:36 PM, said:

Why not offer that job on duke4.net's frontpage?

^Thats a good idea.

• Honored Donor

View PostDeadmeat_1971, on 25 January 2012 - 07:52 PM, said:

Could you use the original netcode for multiplaying? Not the -server or -connect version but the /net n0:2 or /net n xxx.xxx.xx.xx (ip address) version. The last original netcode with Polymer I believe is version 20091213-1566. Could that be improved at all?

Re-implementing the old netcode defeats the purpose of making the new system. If you want the old code, use an old eduke32. As for improving the old code, that's not even possible; it's about as good as it's going to get. That's why we're moving to a new system in the first place.

You're new here, so welcome, and I'll explain why the new code, when finished, will be better:
1) It never goes out of sync.
2) It will work flawlessly with mods and TCs.
3) You can join a game with a custom map, without having a copy of the map.
4) In-game joining Posted Image

There are probably more benefits, but these 4 alone are worth waiting a year for.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDeadmeat_1971, on 25 January 2012 - 07:52 PM, said:

It would take a ton of work to put all the old code (scattered across the source files) back in, and TX would never allow it. The old code sucks, period. It did its job in 1996 but not in 2012.

View PostMicky C, on 25 January 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

Re-implementing the old netcode defeats the purpose of making the new system. If you want the old code, use an old eduke32. As for improving the old code, that's not even possible; it's about as good as it's going to get. That's why we're moving to a new system in the first place.

You're new here, so welcome, and I'll explain why the new code, when finished, will be better:

There are probably more benefits, but these 4 alone are worth waiting a year for.

Those reasons alone is good enough for me to wait for years :D The problem is, the better is sounds, the less i want to wait :D

This post has been edited by rasmus thorup: 26 January 2012 - 09:31 AM

User is offline   Mateos 

View PostMicky C, on 25 January 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

So, if we failed with a friend each time we tried it, it's because there's no more a really netcode in eDuke32 if I get all well?

I quoted the features because when I visited these forums yesterday for the first time since some time (I play some week-ends Duke with the friend, but I'm less looking for updates than before), I've seen the bumped thread (This one), and since replies were encouraging and giving details I subscribed to it... Just knowing these details are enough for me. I guess coding a proper and brand new netcode with such features isn't easy and requires some knowledge... So the time does not matter. We have xDuke and some other ports already, and when eDuke32 will be ready it will be eDuke32 only, IMO x)

What about the support of HRP? I remember when the netcode where still in (I mean when we played eDuke32 in co-op with a friend, last time I saw him moving, but he wasn't able to see me, and each of us could kill pig cops independently...), the HRP caused lag and sync issues; Is it on To-Do list, or was it the connection of the host?

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMateos, on 26 January 2012 - 09:33 AM, said:

What about the support of HRP? I remember when the netcode where still in (I mean when we played eDuke32 in co-op with a friend, last time I saw him moving, but he wasn't able to see me, and each of us could kill pig cops independently...), the HRP caused lag and sync issues; Is it on To-Do list, or was it the connection of the host?

The development of the MP code has not yet gotten to the point where we are testing for performance (such as concurrent HRP usage) and preventing cheating. However, sync issues should not exist like they have in the past since deltas are transmitted rather than each player's input.

User is offline   Mateos 

Deltas? Sorry if it's something well known :x

• Weaponized Autism

The Greek letter delta, Δ, is a mathematical symbol which refers to subtraction, or the difference between two numbers. In the case of programming, "deltas" refers to a list of all the differences between data over time.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options