Duke4.net Forums: Nifty Polymer Build Trick - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nifty Polymer Build Trick

User is offline   Stabs 

Here is a trick i discovered to make things look a bit better, the player cant actually interact with these objects so clipping is not an issue, using right shift you can move objects into the sky and use that to bring more detail to your levels.

Attached Image: building.jpg

Attached Image: CROWN.jpg

Attached File  POLYTRICK.zip (694bytes)
Number of downloads: 353

map is included, works only in polymer

User is offline   MetHy 

So we can actually give realistic looking roofs, with depth, even if we see what's inside?

That's very nice. Too bad it only works in Polymer.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 24 August 2010 - 11:21 AM

User is offline   Stabs 

Yeh just an ornate trick

a better use of that building would be to put it behind that tunnel with the crown and it still would of been visible, currently how its being used is probably better to be done properly with sectors, but behind the tunnel is something that could never have been done before.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostDanM, on Aug 24 2010, 05:59 PM, said:

Yeh just an ornate trick

a better use of that building would be to put it behind that tunnel with the crown and it still would've been visible, currently how its being used is probably better to be done properly with sectors, but behind the tunnel is something that could never have been done before.

Fixed.

Seeing as you share most of the stuff you find I might do the same and make a short video for YouTube demonstrating a few of the tricks I found. Originally I was going to keep it all secret, but what the heck, that probably wouldn't be fair anyway.

Neat trick by the way, I was using something very similar to make suspended platforms draw correctly, but it worked pretty bad, I never thought of doing it like this.

User is offline   Stabs 

cool, more trick is always good

BTW i managed to crown a building that you could enter :wacko:

btw you should spell check the entire forum musically if your that way inclined

This post has been edited by DanM: 25 August 2010 - 07:20 PM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostDanM, on Aug 26 2010, 03:19 PM, said:

btw you should spell check the entire forum musically if your that way inclined

I lol'd.

User is offline   NerdZilla 

This trick also worked in GL duke. I remember doing that back in the day. The results is endless in how many floors you can make seen. But I could never get it so the player sprite can go under or into the rooms made. But as a part of the back round? It was vary nice to have.

Question : Can the player go into our under the ROR sectors? Because I think this is a good find for polymeric 3D. I've always wanted to finish what I started for GL duke.

PS: Great find DanM.

User is offline   CruX 

That skybox (or texture?) looks pretty sweet. Mind sharing where you got it from?

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

While it's cool that stuff like that just happens to work, it might completely stop working in a future release if I mess with how visibility works; own risk blabla.

User is offline   Stabs 

View PostNerdZilla, on Aug 26 2010, 04:31 PM, said:

Question : Can the player go into our under the ROR sectors? Because I think this is a good find for polymeric 3D. I've always wanted to finish what I started for GL duke.

nah, i can make a RoR effect through a few different methods but it has problems like you mentioned or it isnt solid, ill post some really cool and VERY practical uses for this trick tonite, one just looks cool the other is the solution to an age old problem :)

View PostEmericaSkater, on Aug 26 2010, 06:08 PM, said:

That skybox (or texture?) looks pretty sweet. Mind sharing where you got it from?

Updated DNE skybox, Think i was just googling for some night time skyboxes and that came up, think some guy made it for the unreal engine, i modded it with some skyscrapers, i put the skyscrapers further in the distance and even put a big hollywood up in the hills so its somewhat true to the original, i found the buildings way to big in the HRP skybox and any buildings that are closer now can be put in usng this skybox effect, walking around the city (sydney) the other day i found i couldnt really see much over the buildings that where surrounding me.

View PostPlagman, on Aug 26 2010, 06:11 PM, said:

While it's cool that stuff like that just happens to work, it might completely stop working in a future release if I mess with how visibility works; own risk blabla.

I just knew you'd say something like that :wacko:

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

View PostDanM, on Aug 26 2010, 08:17 PM, said:

I just knew you'd say something like that :wacko:

Sorry, didn't mean to ruin your thing! :)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options