Duke4.net Forums: How do you make this door? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How do you make this door?

User is offline   CruX 

I was looking through one of Kef Nukem's maps earlier last night, and this caught my eye...

Posted Image

It's a sliding-type door that has a window (masked wall) in the middle of it. Thanks to DNR I already know how to make sliding doors, but I couldn't find anything on the informational suite that explained how to make this. There's something about sliding glass doors, but it doesn't look like it's anything even close to this (I tried pulling it apart in mapster, to no avail. That just confused me even more). So, is there any tutorial floating around out there on how to make these doors? And if not, would any mapping badasses that know how to make this be kind enough to explain it?

Just a rough guess, but is it not just several sliding door sectors with the same tag to appear as one door? Presumably with points in the surrounding sector.

I'm probably wrong as I can't make sliding doors for Duke yet (they seem a lot different to the ones in Blood) but that is at least how I would attempt to do it and it can't do any harm to try.

User is offline   Nukey 

*edit* I thought about this further and realized that the extra door tags/SEs shouldn't even be required, and it turns out they aren't. I've updated the description and 2D mode image accordingly.

Essentially it's just plain old Sliding Doors, but the doors themselves are split to create another sector. These images are of modified dual doors from tutorial.map. All I did was insert points on each door and draw a sector within them. The rest of the changes are cosmetic.

I tried to simplify the 2D mode view as much as possible, and I also pulled the door sectors inward a bit so they could be easily distinguished.

Posted Image

The 3D mode view is after pulling the doors outward again so they look normal.

Posted Image

Oh, I have also been meaning to improve the Sliding Glass/Mirror and single Sliding Door tutorials on that page for quite some time. The way they operate now forces the player to face the door in order to activate it. There is a better construction method which eliminates this problem. Until I find the time to fix those tutorials, it's not too difficult to figure out on the user's end.

I'm not sure if I've ever explicitly mentioned this before, but the Informational Suite is not intended to document every effect possible with this engine. That would be absurd. I suppose I'll add this specific effect to the guide, but eventually I've got to draw the line somewhere. All it requires is knowledge of how an effect works and some creative experimentation to come up with a myriad of variations on a single effect, not including the possibilities introduced when one combines multiple effects, also not including the fact that EDuke32 is constantly introducing new possibilities.

This post has been edited by Nukey: 01 June 2016 - 07:30 PM

User is offline   underTaker 

I decided to write short tutorial how to create such doors. It is actually very simple, like most things in Duke, however it require some work. Let's start.

1. Create two sectors - one for each part of door, like in regular slide door, however - they cannot be connected.
2. Create small sector at each end of each part of the door. Just like on the screens.
Posted Image
Posted Image
3. Select the single door's part end, and move them as close as possible to the center of whole door (with grid lock disabled - for better effect) Just like on the screen, and create sector, by connecting the sectors, we have created in previous point, which is shown on this screen as well (you can see small space between the base door sector, and newly created sector)
Posted Image
4. Now switch to 3D mode and raise the newly created sector floor, and lower it's ceiling, like on the screen.
Posted Image
5. Split the newly created sector on two parts, like on the screen - this will be our glass.
Posted Image
6. Add sprites, that are required for regular slide doors on each sector. In this case you should use 6 SEs, 6 GPSpeeds and 6 Music And SFXs. You may also add some details on the sectors, so it will look better.
Posted Image

My design may be little different than classic slide door design, however i ensure - it works. I've attached the sample map i've been working while writing this post.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by underTaker: 22 August 2010 - 11:20 AM

User is offline   Shawneth 

Next: how to make glass ceiling doors :wacko:.

Umm, I think that might be possible in Polymer (though somewhat difficult) I might give it a try tomorrow if I get chance before going to my mothers (I'm off to sleep in a moment)

User is offline   Shawneth 

Oh, you can do it, simply put a bunch of transparent sprites nto a ceiling floor sector, make sure it moves with it and do something else. LOL

User is offline   CruX 

Thanks Nukey and underTaker. After a few minutes of tinkering around with it, I managed to get it to work, and it's pretty much as simple as you guys made it look. Also Nukey, don't think what I said about the informational suite is indicative of how I regard it; it's really fine just the way it is (at least, it has plenty enough for someone to learn how to build a decent level).

User is offline   Loke 

I've always wondered how to make doors like these; personally I think they're the best looking door-type in the game. Gotta find a way to squeeze one into my map. :wacko:
Thanks for the help y'all.

View PostLoke, on Aug 28 2010, 05:02 PM, said:

I've always wondered how to make doors like these; personally I think they're the best looking door-type in the game. Gotta find a way to squeeze one into my map. :wacko:
Thanks for the help y'all.

Such a door type would look great when they are like Stargate Atlantis styled, something like here - http://upload.bungli...is_b14a0008.jpg
Of course they won't fit every map, but i think, it looks just great, and doesn't require much work.

User is offline   Stabs 

you can also make glass swinging doors, i put one in eternity, they are height limited tho so they are always going to look a tad to high or short

there is one in this vid at 3:40
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=QQBYkFE4r1M

View Postoporix, on Aug 23 2010, 03:45 PM, said:

Next: how to make glass ceiling doors :).

Impossible is nothing. Just check the attachment - it is simple to do, so no tutorial this time. Thoose are floor doors, celiling doors are made the same way, as this one :wacko: Just need a bit time, and you can do EVERYTHING ^^

Attached File(s)

View Postoporix, on Aug 23 2010, 05:45 PM, said:

Next: how to make glass ceiling doors :wacko:.

Making a sprite construction is the wisest way here. However, adapting masked walls to this kind of doors is also possible, like in this Last Pissed Time screenshot:
Posted Image
Unfortunately, such design requires a complicated activation mechanism, as well as assistance of a hidden teleporter to make the door passable.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostCraigFatman, on Sep 1 2010, 12:12 PM, said:

Making a sprite construction is the wisest way here. However, adapting masked walls to this kind of doors is also possible, like in this Last Pissed Time screenshot:
Posted Image
Unfortunately, such design requires a complicated activation mechanism, as well as assistance of a hidden teleporter to make the door passable.

This is partially why I don't bother so much with this kind of stuff unless it's for decorative purposes. Duke Nukem 3D's engine wasn't designed for this - transparent and free-moving doors were only made feasible as a result of the development of "brushes" used in the Quake and Half-Life engines.

User is offline   CruX 

On another note, while Nukey said that extra sector tags/effectors weren't nessecary in the sector that you create within the door, they do seem to be needed if you plan on splitting the sector itself (so the masked wall would be in the middle of the door, rather than on the outside).

If you don't, the wall in the middle will end up lagging behind the rest of the door when it moves. I put all three of the essential things in the split sectors (sector effector, sector tag, and gspeed), and I haven't bothered eliminating any of them to see if it's just one that makes it work, but I figured it was worth a mention anyway. If it is just one of them that is necessary, I'm going to take a wild guess and say it's gspeed.

User is offline   Nukey 

Heh, you see what I mean now by endless variations?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options