Duke4.net Forums: Redneck Rampage thread - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Redneck Rampage thread

User is offline   NNC 

I've played Redneck Rampage last night via DosBox. This is the second time I've played the game, and again I've finished the first episode, and some of the second. I'm currently in the second episode level 4 called "The Ruins". I'm stuck on this level, and even walkthrough didn't helped me out. I used the one from Jonhunt.com, but it seems he played a different map than I. I can't find the first key, despite spending an hour to find it. Also, in the same map, due to sector over sector, I can find myself outside when I'm not supposed to be there. Bad.

Anyway, here is my opinion of the game:

I really really want to like this title. It has really amazing graphics for a Build game, some very nice sound effects, cool central theme, atmosphere and such. The bowling, the tornado, the blow up of the gas station, the animals are all very cool. This could have very well been the best Build engine game ever made. However it clearly fell apart due to many things:

1. The game is frustratingly hard to play: mazey leveldesign, barely visible cracks and keys made me stuck all the time. Nearly all levels have at least one bad, and useless puzzle. I have to use the walkthrough all the time. This wasn't the case for Duke3d for example. The skeleton keys in particular are bad. They are small, sometimes I visited rooms but missed the key there. Also, they have no colors, so it's not obvious which door they open. Also some buttons are hardly visible, like one from the infamous Sewers.

2. Enemies: I really like the rednecks... however they get tiring after some levels. Even on the 2nd skill, they are too frequent, and no variety is there. The same two guys all the time. Their voice got tiring after some play. But the really bad things are dogs and those fecal turds. Dogs are so strongs and so agressive, I've always hated their bark. They needed 4 shotguns to be down, and their move is erratic. The turds are disgusting and annoying. Their voice is a pain, and again they move in a really erratic way, particularly in that awful Sewer level.

So far, the second episode looked better than the first, but Ruins ruined it entirely. This is my two cents about the game, and thanks for the help in advance.

User is offline   Lunick 

The Only thing I could wish for is a Port for the game but thats not going to happen

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Mojo Nixon does the theme song and the voices of Lester T. Hobbs, that's enough for me to say "THIS GAME KICKS ASS!"

User is offline   NNC 

View PostLunick, on Aug 16 2010, 01:23 PM, said:

The Only thing I could wish for is a Port for the game but thats not going to happen

AFAIK the game works with a modified EDuke32, which was released earlier this year. I haven't played it, and it has some bugs like Cowpies act like Jetpack etc., but the port is on its way.

User is offline   Lunick 

Yes I know about that but its not finished and you mentioned the problems

User is offline   NNC 

OK, finally finished the game, finally learnt I haven't blew up a door in Ruins. The level anyway had 2 bugs, one which may screw you badly with the overlapping sectors, and the other is critical: the third key locks the metal door instead of unlocking it.

Cheated a couple of times, because I had some frustrating experiences. Those big alien asses in cramped halls never looked well. I liked the Mortuary level a lot, and despite being big and nasty, Uranium Mines was good too. I hated the Mansion level. The boss was interesting but not very climatic. It's a mixed bad, now I find some time to play RRRA (already finished a couple of levels of it years ago).

User is offline   Skulldog 

http://code.google.c.../downloads/list

This post has been edited by Skulldog: 21 August 2010 - 06:16 PM

Here's this, but it has a good amount of bugs

Erampage

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostHenryPalmer, on Oct 19 2010, 10:40 AM, said:

Erampage

Uh, thats what we were talking about :X

Ripsaw!!! - best weapon ever!!!

No game yet has even come close to its ability to cut enemies down.

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Aug 16 2010, 06:37 PM, said:

Mojo Nixon does the theme song and the voices of Lester T. Hobbs, that's enough for me to say "THIS GAME KICKS ASS!"

The Mojo Nixon tracks are cool, but not as cool as the ones by Reverend Horton Heat.

As for the game, Redneck Rampage runs OK for me in Dosbox (D-Fend Reloaded) at 800x600 res, as long as I don't mount the CD-Rom player and use Winamp in stead.

This game kicked ass, and it made me wonder why no one else could make a hi-res mode for BUILD (Hi-res Blood please!). Xatrix was an awesome developer. They are wasting their talent at Treyarch. :(

User is offline   X-Vector 

Wouldn't call them awesome; Redneck Rampage, Kingpin and RTCW were enjoyable games, but they were also fairly shallow experiences with a considerable "one trick pony" element.

User is offline   Jinroh 

Just bought Redneck Rampage Collection on GOG. Great deal. ^^ Haven't played it in years, and it's the only of the major 4 BUILD games I never owned. ^^ It's a great teacher of American Culture. ^^

User is offline   microjunk 

with erampage you can download the svn's and compile them on your own, some of the bugs have been worked out but I don't know how to compile these things(not a programmer), though I would love to try out the new builds. I also have an eRampage setup with ALL of RR maps and mods(the entire series) though deer huntin' is not playable at all, you keep floating away. I can upload what I have if anyone wants it (let me know, and if I have to remove files from it let me know that too. It will be megaupload)

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostX-Vector, on Oct 21 2010, 08:48 AM, said:

The Mojo Nixon tracks are cool, but not as cool as the ones by Reverend Horton Heat.

I'll agree. Mojo has much better tracks than those in the Redneck series. Except maybe "You Can't Kill Me," which is a masterpiece.

User is offline   Jinroh 

I'm on the Ruins level, but haven't been able to clear most levels without having to minorly RDCLIP at some point. >_>

User is offline   NNC 

View PostJinroh, on Oct 31 2010, 03:16 AM, said:

I'm on the Ruins level, but haven't been able to clear most levels without having to minorly RDCLIP at some point. >_>

That level caused two glitches actually. First, because of the overlapping sectors I found myself outside when wandering around the cave area at the start. Second, the final key actually CLOSES the metal door instead of opening it (the one with the teleporting stuff).

The sounds and the graphics are pretty fantastic for a Build game, and the atmosphere could have been marvellous, but the shallow gameplay, the uninspired mazey leveldesign, and the frustrating puzzles deflates its value a lot. Did anyone complete this game without using some written walkthrough at one point???

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostNancsi, on Nov 3 2010, 06:10 PM, said:

That level caused two glitches actually. First, because of the overlapping sectors I found myself outside when wandering around the cave area at the start. Second, the final key actually CLOSES the metal door instead of opening it (the one with the teleporting stuff).

The sounds and the graphics are pretty fantastic for a Build game, and the atmosphere could have been marvellous, but the shallow gameplay, the uninspired mazey leveldesign, and the frustrating puzzles deflates its value a lot. Did anyone complete this game without using some written walkthrough at one point???

Ah I see. ^^ I'm glad it wasn't just me then hehe. I thought I might be kinda dumb but I could get through Duke and Shadow Warrior no problem hehe.

Yes there are some great pieces of level in those levels. ^^ I like some of the designs.

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View PostHenryPalmer, on Oct 18 2010, 07:40 PM, said:

Erampage

The only bug that pissed me off is when I save hiting F2 or F6, the game often just closed. Now I use Esc and save the game from the menu. Much better.

i never use quick save buttons. it hurts ti hit the load button instead

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options