Duke4.net Forums: Polymer causes game to hang. - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Polymer causes game to hang.

User is offline   Awesomebob 

System:
AMD Phenom II x4 (3.0 Ghz stock)
ATi 5770 (MMI Brand, 1gig GDDR5, 128 bit, 850 Mhz, all drivers up to date)
8 gig DDR2
Windows 7 home premium (64 bit)
DirectX 11

Running EDuke32 build 1683

The last time it hung (I needed to get a log) I played "Hollywood Holocaust" on come get some. I cleared the streets, lobby, bathroom, projector room, behind the screen, the high jetpack area and the secret red room. The game crashed when I went back into the lobby.

Turning off polymer mode allows the game to run with out a problem.

Thanks for any help, I hope I provided enough info.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Your duke3d.def has a setuptile for tile 9000? Why?

Is the crash random, or does it happen in certain places?

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

View PostDeeperThought, on Aug 5 2010, 03:20 PM, said:

Your duke3d.def has a setuptile for tile 9000? Why?

The HRP uses tile 9000 for the window frame lightmap and 9001 for the grate lightmap, both in E1L1.

See http://svn.eduke32.com/filedetails.php?rep...projections.def

View PostDeeperThought, on Aug 5 2010, 02:20 PM, said:

Is the crash random, or does it happen in certain places?

At first I thought it could be random. I experienced it most while playing the attrition mod. It seemed to hang anywhere it wanted, more like a timed thing than a location. But when I tried the stock map with out the mod, it crashed 3 times in the same place: Going into the lobby after clearing out everything but the arcade. So that has me thinking that playing the attrition mod (which is whacked out for me anyway) I just don't notice that it is in the same place. Next time I'm playing I'll turn polymer back on and see if it's in the same place.

• Duke Plus Developer

You said that it only happens when using Polymer. So what happens if you use Polymer _without_ the HRP (i.e. use Polymer but do not use the autoload folder option). I predict that it won't crash.

View PostDeeperThought, on Aug 5 2010, 09:37 PM, said:

You said that it only happens when using Polymer. So what happens if you use Polymer _without_ the HRP (i.e. use Polymer but do not use the autoload folder option). I predict that it won't crash.

Still crashed after turning off high res tex and models. This time it crashed on my way up to the jetpack spot.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostAwesomebob, on Aug 6 2010, 06:12 PM, said:

Still crashed after turning off high res tex and models. This time it crashed on my way up to the jetpack spot.

You are still using the HRP.

Loading 'duke3d.def'
warning: defined hightile replacement for empty tile 9000. Maybe some tiles???.art are not loaded?
warning: defined hightile replacement for empty tile 9001.
Definitions file 'duke3d.def' loaded.

Remove the autoload folder/untick include autoload folder and try again.

I figured killing it in the menu would kill it :) Sorry.

Just now played from a fresh folder with just the GRP file and EDUKE32. Crashed in the dance part of red light district. Log included.

EDIT: I'd really like to thank you guys for looking at this. I really appreciate it.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Awesomebob: 06 August 2010 - 05:23 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I just realised that Mapster32 doesn't have the dropdown pick-a-folder option like EDuke32.exe has. My version of the plymer HRP is entirely extracted (no zip) in a Polymer HRP folder which I select from the drop-down menu when I want to use it. I was wondering why I wasn't seeing hi-res textures in Mapster. Aside from my constant crashes while using it, is there any way I can use a folder as a load point instead of autoload?

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostAwesomebob, on Aug 6 2010, 06:17 AM, said:

I figured killing it in the menu would kill it :) Sorry.

Just now played from a fresh folder with just the GRP file and EDUKE32. Crashed in the dance part of red light district. Log included.

EDIT: I'd really like to thank you guys for looking at this. I really appreciate it.

Judging from the log, it looks like you were drinking toilet water when it crashed. :)

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Aug 7 2010, 02:27 AM, said:

I was wondering why I wasn't seeing hi-res textures in Mapster. Aside from my constant crashes while using it, is there any way I can use a folder as a load point instead of autoload?

Make a bat file or launch it with this command.
mapster32.exe -jHRP

That is presuming that your folder is called HRP.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 06 August 2010 - 10:49 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Cool thanks.

View PostThe Commander, on Aug 6 2010, 10:48 AM, said:

Make a bat file or launch it with this command.
mapster32.exe -jHRP

That is presuming that your folder is called HRP.

Assuming I'm using a windows shortcut to launch and not a command line, where do I put this to launch with HRP in mapster32?
If I did it correctly in the image, then it doesn't work.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: menu.jpg

• The Sarien Encounter

Works for me. Is your HRP folder named "HRP"? And is it inside your EDuke32 directory?

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Aug 15 2010, 09:03 PM, said:

Works for me. Is your HRP folder named "HRP"? And is it inside your EDuke32 directory?

Yes and yes.

• The Sarien Encounter

Don't know. Works for me. Is Mapster32 running in Polymer/Polymost mode? To make sure, bring up the console in 3D mode and type 'setrendermode 3' or 'setrendermode 4'. Post your mapster32.log file.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 16 August 2010 - 06:55 AM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Aug 16 2010, 06:54 AM, said:

Don't know. Works for me. Is Mapster32 running in Polymer/Polymost mode? To make sure, bring up the console in 3D mode and type 'setrendermode 3' or 'setrendermode 4'. Post your mapster32.log file.

Honestly, I didn't know about the setrendermode command (didn't know about the console, either). So I did that figuring I missed some more documentation. Nope.

Mapster32 log said:

Mapster32 2.0.0devel 20100521
Using C:/Duke3d/Duke3D/ for game data
Using HRP/ for game data <-- Says it's using the HRP
Windows 7 (build 6.1.7600) w/ nedmalloc.dll
Initializing DirectDraw...
Loading "m32help.hlp"
Initializing DirectInput...
- Enumerating attached game controllers
* JOYSTICK: Virtual Hid Device
* GAMEPAD: Controller (XBOX 360 For Windows)
Controller has 5 axes, 10 buttons, and 1 hat(s).
Initialized 16.0M cache
Loading NAMES.H
Read 765 lines, loaded 737 names.
Loading 'duke3d.def'
warning: defined hightile replacement for empty tile 9000. Maybe some tiles???.art are not loaded?
warning: defined hightile replacement for empty tile 9001.
Definitions file loaded.
Enabling desktop composition...
Setting video mode 1024x768 (8-bit windowed)
Loading sounds from 'game.con'
Loaded 376 sound definitions.
setrendermode <number>: sets the engine's rendering mode.
Mode numbers are:
0 - Classic Build software
3 - Polygonal OpenGL
4 - Great justice renderer (Polymer)

Rendering method changed to classic software <-- What it said when set to zero
Rendering method changed to classic software <-- What it said when set to four
Uninitializing DirectDraw...
Uninitializing DirectInput...
Fatal Signal caught: SIGSEGV. Bailing out.

This post has been edited by Awesomebob: 16 August 2010 - 11:29 AM

Also, I'm still crashing with polymer :wacko:

Attached File(s)

• The Sarien Encounter

Did you switch to 3D mode first before changing the render mode? It won't work in 2D mode.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Aug 16 2010, 12:17 PM, said:

Did you switch to 3D mode first before changing the render mode? It won't work in 2D mode.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Aug 16 2010, 06:54 AM, said:

bring up the console in 3D mode

yes.

• The Sarien Encounter

Then I don't know.

View PostAwesomebob, on Aug 5 2010, 04:44 PM, said:

System:
AMD Phenom II x4 (3.0 Ghz stock)
ATi 5770 (MMI Brand, 1gig GDDR5, 128 bit, 850 Mhz, all drivers up to date)
8 gig DDR2
Windows 7 home premium (64 bit)
DirectX 11

Running EDuke32 build 1683

The last time it hung (I needed to get a log) I played "Hollywood Holocaust" on come get some. I cleared the streets, lobby, bathroom, projector room, behind the screen, the high jetpack area and the secret red room. The game crashed when I went back into the lobby.

Turning off polymer mode allows the game to run with out a problem.

Thanks for any help, I hope I provided enough info.

It happens exactly the opposite with me. The game hangs if I run without Polymer.

Bumping this with a bit of new data.
I ran 7 games with HRP and polymer. Eduke build 1704. HRP was last updated a couple days ago. nothing else in the folder. No mods, no munking around with cfg files and whatnot.

Crash #1
Door to the E1L1 exit (where the two pig cops are after the wall blows up, crash log 1)

Crash #2
Right as E1L1 starts (crash log 2)

Next 5 crashes happened the exact same way as crash #2. Level would not even start (crash log 3 4 5 stopped copying logs at that point)

Next I played with duke in 8bit mode. I unzipped 1704 into an empty folder then copied my grp file. That's it. Played through e1l1, e1l2 fine. Played through e1l3 up to the big room after the blue door. 1st time in there, fine, second time I came in ka boom. No HRP, log looks roughly the same (to a layman).

Included all logs mentioned above in a zip file.

EDIT: I played with my in-game settings a bit, basically pushing everything to max. Still crashing, but I'm able to do a lot more stuff before that happens. First time I crashed it was in the courtyard of death row. After loading from a save to see if it would crash in the same place, I made it to the outside area with the secret teleporter. Crashed after I lowered the water level and tried to jump in. Including log from latest crash (I'm a nub and forgot to save log from first crash)
Second edit... I'm tired.
Settings changed (all under render)
Vsync on (was off)
Antistropic Filtering from x2 to x4
Texture cache from compressed to on.
Ambient light level from 1.0 to .75

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  logs.zip (18.15K)
    Number of downloads: 156
  • Attached File  eduke32.log (463.69K)
    Number of downloads: 196

This post has been edited by Awesomebob: 27 August 2010 - 07:26 PM

Nevermind. I just had the idea to play on my girlfriend's computer (runs an nVidia card) and I played through all of act one w/o a single crash. So this is caused by my stupid ATI card. sonofabitch.

Just a quick question about drivers. Everyone in all the ATI threads ya'll looooooove so much /sarcasm it's mentioned 10.5 is the best driver for Duke. This is my driver(?) info from the CCC.

Driver Packaging Version	8.741-100527a-100948C-ATI	
Catalyst™ Version	10.6	
Provider	ATI Technologies Inc.	
2D Driver Version	8.01.01.1038	
2D Driver File Path	/REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/
Direct3D Version	8.14.10.0761	
OpenGL Version	6.14.10.9901	
Catalyst™ Control Center Version	2010.0803.2125.36577

Says my catalyst version is 10.6. IS this the one I'm looking at, or is it one of the other drivers up there?

PS: Music; I wasn't running mapster in 32bit mode /facepalm.

This post has been edited by Awesomebob: 29 August 2010 - 10:38 PM

User is offline   Omni 

Yes 10.6 has issues with duke and other games, it affects some more then others as it probably depends a lot on your own personal set up.

Oh, and the ATI brand just went the way of 3dfx today. RIP ATI

After Omni's post I was pumped to downgrade and see if Duke still crashed. Yup. Seems to happen faster now than 10.6 did :)

I guess my next question is: Are there any ATI users who don't have this problem? Hate to think the only way I can play duke with polymer is to re-install my old 9800 :wacko:

View PostAwesomebob, on Aug 31 2010, 03:00 AM, said:

I guess my next question is: Are there any ATI users who don't have this problem? Hate to think the only way I can play duke with polymer is to re-install my old 9800 :wacko:

I can play with the latest synthesis version of eduke and the latest SVN version of the HRP with no crashes in the first level.
Have you over clocked anything by any chance?

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm an ATI user and I get frequent crashes either every couple level changes or randomly while playing. Even if I sit there for a while and do nothing the game crashes.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 30 August 2010 - 01:12 PM

View PostThe Commander, on Aug 30 2010, 11:35 AM, said:

I can play with the latest synthesis version of eduke and the latest SVN version of the HRP with no crashes in the first level.
Have you over clocked anything by any chance?

That's about what I can do. First level, fine. Second level, maybe. Third level, no way in hell I'm making it past the courtyard w/o a crash.
I have not overclocked yet. Waiting to get some better cooling.

User is offline   Stubbs31 

Im actully having the same problem but every time i start the game with polymer switched on i always crash on the first lvl on all 4 eps. i cant fix this either

This post has been edited by Stubbs31: 31 August 2010 - 12:29 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options