Duke4.net Forums: Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

  • 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Roland SC-55 Music Packs  "Updates 'n stuff"

User is online   NightFright 

  • The Truth is in here

#331

You would rather need a rip of the CD audio tracks for Shadow Warrior - unless you are only using the shareware release. There were no MIDI tracks in the full version which could be "OGGified".
0

User is offline   Phredreeke 

#332

My guess is he wants SC-55 recordings of the shareware tracks
0

User is offline   Hendricks266 

  • Weaponized Autism

  #333

Yes, I specifically added support for running the shareware with the SC-55 pack. Simply extract it to your VoidSW directory.
2

User is online   NightFright 

  • The Truth is in here

#334

Neat then. Actually a pity they didn't do a full MIDI soundtrack for the retail version.
2

User is offline   Jimmy 

  • Let's go Brandon!

#335

Yeah there's way too many levels for Redbook Audio.
1

User is offline   MrFlibble 

#336

I just noticed that the Babe Land track cf.ogg is labelled as Calypso Factor in my Winamp playlist although I'm pretty certain that the correct title is Calypso Facto, a pun on the Latin phrase ipso facto and the name of the Greek nymph Calypso from The Odyssey.

I just checked the original MIDI and indeed the title is Calypso Facto:
Attached Image: ipso_facto.png
0

User is offline   Hendricks266 

  • Weaponized Autism

  #337

That must be the fault of my TagDukeNukem3DMusic.bat. Sorry about that. I should update it anyway to add tags for the Caribbean music.
1

User is offline   Yarn366 

#338

I found some errors with the Heretic pack:
  • mus_e1m2, mus_e2m2: These songs produce an audible click upon looping because of the (somewhat) poor placement of the loop points.
  • mus_e2m4: The loop points are placed in a manner that causes the first measure to be skipped upon looping. (Since the audio fades out completely before the song actually loops, you could remove the loop points and simply end the song where you currently have the LOOP_END point.)


In addition, a number of Heretic songs have an additional empty measure at the end, many of which the recordings in your pack omit:
  • mus_e1m3: Original version has additional empty measure (~1.75s) before loop (and by loop, I of course mean where the song actually loops, not where you placed the loop points)
  • mus_e1m6: Original version has additional empty measure (~2s) before loop
  • mus_e2m3: Original version has additional empty beat (~0.32s) before loop
  • mus_e2m6: Original version has additional empty measure (~1.6s) before loop
  • mus_e2m7: Original version has additional empty measure (~2s) before loop
  • mus_e2m8: Original version has additional empty measure (~2s) before loop
  • mus_e3m3: Original version has additional empty measure (~2s) before loop

If you want to verify these yourself, play these songs in the actual game, preferably in the original (DOS) version; don't trust MUS-to-MIDI conversions, which may not preserve empty measures at the end.
0

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

  • The Sarien Encounter

#339

View PostMrFlibble, on 27 July 2020 - 06:23 AM, said:

I just noticed that the Babe Land track cf.ogg is labelled as Calypso Factor in my Winamp playlist although I'm pretty certain that the correct title is Calypso Facto, a pun on the Latin phrase ipso facto and the name of the Greek nymph Calypso from The Odyssey.

I just checked the original MIDI and indeed the title is Calypso Facto:
Attachment ipso_facto.png


I'll fix that in the metadata at some point, thanks for picking that out.

View PostYarn366, on 14 April 2021 - 06:52 PM, said:

I found some errors with the Heretic pack:
  • mus_e1m2, mus_e2m2: These songs produce an audible click upon looping because of the (somewhat) poor placement of the loop points.
  • mus_e2m4: The loop points are placed in a manner that causes the first measure to be skipped upon looping. (Since the audio fades out completely before the song actually loops, you could remove the loop points and simply end the song where you currently have the LOOP_END point.)


In addition, a number of Heretic songs have an additional empty measure at the end, many of which the recordings in your pack omit:
  • mus_e1m3: Original version has additional empty measure (~1.75s) before loop (and by loop, I of course mean where the song actually loops, not where you placed the loop points)
  • mus_e1m6: Original version has additional empty measure (~2s) before loop
  • mus_e2m3: Original version has additional empty beat (~0.32s) before loop
  • mus_e2m6: Original version has additional empty measure (~1.6s) before loop
  • mus_e2m7: Original version has additional empty measure (~2s) before loop
  • mus_e2m8: Original version has additional empty measure (~2s) before loop
  • mus_e3m3: Original version has additional empty measure (~2s) before loop

If you want to verify these yourself, play these songs in the actual game, preferably in the original (DOS) version; don't trust MUS-to-MIDI conversions, which may not preserve empty measures at the end.


I made these tracks loop seamlessly intentionally without an empty break because I didn't like the break. Takes me right out of it. If people really want this returned to the original break before the loop point I can change it back though. It just feels tacky to me. I don't have a clue why these tracks didn't loop properly in the first place and just end abruptly. I didn't think anyone would mind.

As for the clicks on the loops and other issues, I'll look into that. I probably made a couple mistakes there.
1

User is offline   Yarn366 

#340

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 28 April 2021 - 06:46 PM, said:

I made these tracks loop seamlessly intentionally without an empty break because I didn't like the break. Takes me right out of it. If people really want this returned to the original break before the loop point I can change it back though. It just feels tacky to me. I don't have a clue why these tracks didn't loop properly in the first place and just end abruptly. I didn't think anyone would mind.

Actually, I don't mind either, and I do agree that they sound a bit better without the breaks. The reason I reported them is that a few songs (such as mus_e1m1 and mus_e1m2) still have the breaks, so I wasn't sure whether you removed the breaks in the songs that I had mentioned.

I still suggest adjusting mus_e2m3 so that its break (assuming you decide to keep it) is a whole number of measures long.
1

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

  • The Sarien Encounter

#341

The ones that I kept the break ended in a way that didn't lend themselves well to a seamless loop. It didn't feel right. These MIDIs are so messy lol. I like the music, but they have been frustrating to work with. From polyphony limitations to alternate channel volumes between Adlib and GM to non-looping tracks....very frustrating. And it has slowed down my work on Hexen and the Enhanced Heretic music packs.
0

User is offline   Avenger 

#342

Is there a reason NW and NW6 is missing from the music pack download on both the HRP website and yours?

This post has been edited by Avenger: 07 August 2021 - 10:39 PM

0

User is offline   Avenger 

#343

Does anyone have the missing tracks from the Nuclear Winter music pack?
0

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

  • The Sarien Encounter

#344

Well.....I don't know. No idea how that got passed me. And it's amazing it took this long for anyone to let me know. Let alone General Arcade for the Megaton Edition. Definitely gotta fix that. I don't even have recordings of them. Well, I had to redo that whole pack anyway for metadata loop tags and lossless FLAC versions so I guess this finally gives me a reason to do it.

EDIT: It looks like they made their own recordings for NW and NW6 for Megaton.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 13 August 2021 - 01:54 PM

2

User is offline   Hendricks266 

  • Weaponized Autism

  #345

NWINTER.GRP contains 8 MIDI files:

GRABBAG.MID
NW1.MID
NW2.MID
NW3.MID
NW4.MID
NW5.MID
NW6.MID
NW7.MID

GRABBAG.MID and NW7.MID are identical, as are NW2 and NW6.
1

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

  • The Sarien Encounter

#346

Ohhhh right. It's been so long since I've listened to these.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 13 August 2021 - 02:29 PM

0

User is online   Ninety-Six 

#347

View PostHendricks266, on 13 August 2021 - 02:12 PM, said:

as are NW2 and NW6.


Are they? Because I could swear one has a distinct warble effect to it...
0

User is offline   Phredreeke 

#348

Well if you used the Megaton Edition I guess that's why? (since Brandon says General Arcade did their own recordings of the "missing" ones)
2

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

  • The Sarien Encounter

#349

Well, General Arcade did their own recordings of all the Duke3D tracks initially. So when they asked to use mine they probably just unzipped what I had and overwrote their own (leaving their original tracks that I didn't have in my pack). But yeah, they used some kind of soundfont or something for theirs.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 13 August 2021 - 05:00 PM

0

User is offline   jkas789 

#350

So if I wanted to put myself through the pain of playing Nuclear Winter again, I just have to grab the files from the Megaton release?
0

User is offline   Phredreeke 

#351

Make copies of NW2.ogg and Grabbag.ogg and rename them NW6.ogg and NW7.ogg

Or alternatively define them in a def file
1

User is offline   Avenger 

#352

Yup, the megaton edition was what I was referencing. I probably should have indicated that.

I also took a look at the Nuclear Winter "USER.CON" file equivalent and saw the tracks were listed as NW-NW9.MID and the GRP also contained these files in both versions. I suppose they are just duplicates with different names in that case. I never tried listening for reference as I didn't have an audio player with .MID file support on that machine.
0

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

  • The Sarien Encounter

#353

View Postjkas789, on 13 August 2021 - 09:16 PM, said:

So if I wanted to put myself through the pain of playing Nuclear Winter again, I just have to grab the files from the Megaton release?


That, or buy Duke3D on ZOOM Platform who are the only ones still selling it (legit). If you're talking about the GRP.

View PostAvenger, on 14 August 2021 - 10:05 PM, said:

I also took a look at the Nuclear Winter "USER.CON" file equivalent and saw the tracks were listed as NW-NW9.MID and the GRP also contained these files in both versions.


Really? In my NW GRP the NWUSER.CON file only references up to NW7 and only contains MIDs up to NW7.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 15 August 2021 - 06:01 AM

0

User is offline   Phredreeke 

#354

Do you have an ETA on the remastered Life's a Beach tracks? I'd like to use them for the next version of ERP (which isn't due for a long time so no rush)
0

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

  • The Sarien Encounter

#355

I want to at least finish Hexen before I do anything else. It's still sitting half finished on my hard drive. I've finished my longstanding contracted music projects just recently so I'm gonna make myself finish Hexen. After I do that I'll go back and do both expansions.
1

User is offline   Avenger 

#356

Does this pack currently loop when each track finishes or just plays once and stops?
0

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

  • The Sarien Encounter

#357

It loops, but abruptly (the tail end is cut off for timing). It was a much older pack that didn't implement metadata loop tags for seamless looping. None of my packs just play once and stop though. That's not supposed to happen.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 15 August 2021 - 04:50 PM

0

User is offline   Avenger 

#358

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 15 August 2021 - 04:49 PM, said:

It loops, but abruptly (the tail end is cut off for timing). It was a much older pack that didn't implement metadata loop tags for seamless looping. None of my packs just play once and stop though. That's not supposed to happen.

Thanks for letting me know.

I'll wait for the updated pack then before using so that there's consistency alongside the packs done for Duke Nukem 3D and the DC expansion.
0

User is offline   MrFlibble 

#359

I just noticed that the main page still says this about Blood:

Quote

Blood
  • DOSBox - Unfortunately, no source port exists as yet for Blood since the source code was never released. Your best bet is to use DOSBox which is an excellent DOS environment emulator. Furthermore, this also means that you cannot use any music packs with the game.

I suppose you'd want to mention at least nBlood if not The Java Thing.

Oh yeah, also VoidSW for SW, and the new ROTT ports could also get a mention?
1

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

  • The Sarien Encounter

#360

Years ago I had made recordings of the Shadow Warrior Shareware/Beta tracks but never uploaded them for some reason. They are now added.

Shadow Warrior Music Packs Note: these are like the older packs that don't have metadata loop tags and have the ends of the tracks cut off abruptly for non-seamless looping. I probably thought I'd just redo them quickly with loop tags so I never bothered uploading them. But considering the amount of time it's taking, I decided to just throw them up now once I realized I had them recorded. Better than nothing. They will be redone of course. (EventuallyTM)

View PostMrFlibble, on 27 October 2021 - 08:39 AM, said:

I just noticed that the main page still says this about Blood:

I suppose you'd want to mention at least nBlood if not The Java Thing.

Oh yeah, also VoidSW for SW, and the new ROTT ports could also get a mention?


I'm also addressing this right now.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 01 February 2022 - 10:00 AM

3

Share this topic:


  • 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options