Duke4.net Forums: The Game WIP - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Game WIP  "My first episode"

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

The levels have a clean and classic look to them, which I like. My only concern is about the gameplay, because I can't tell from the screen shots. There do appear to be a LOT of enemies. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it can be.

User is offline   underTaker 

The map i've shown on last screens is actualy pretty big one, made of three stations, which together are almost 1000 sectors. Actually, there are 149 enemies on hardness level 1, and 170 on 3 and 4, also i'm going to take a look on enemy placement - maybe i will add more if i will see some empty places. More about the gameplay should say RazorZ, because i can't really comment map, that i've made - pretty hard for me to do ;o

Backing to the RazorZ's ammo and stuff placing problem - you've actually helped me a lot with the same problem on my map, maybe i could help you as well. It is much better if someone can test the map.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Are you saying you want one of us to test the map?

And is it necessary to fill empty places with enemies? I would have thought the player would prefer not to be constantly fighting the whole map.

User is offline   RazorZ 

View PostunderTaker, on Oct 20 2010, 08:52 PM, said:

The map i've shown on last screens is actualy pretty big one, made of three stations, which together are almost 1000 sectors. Actually, there are 149 enemies on hardness level 1, and 170 on 3 and 4, also i'm going to take a look on enemy placement - maybe i will add more if i will see some empty places. More about the gameplay should say RazorZ, because i can't really comment map, that i've made - pretty hard for me to do ;o

Backing to the RazorZ's ammo and stuff placing problem - you've actually helped me a lot with the same problem on my map, maybe i could help you as well. It is much better if someone can test the map.

I think the beta test should be the testing step (while everything is almost ready, every single level is made, just needs some polishing, etc.). :( I´ve tried to balance your map, works well, but still require some work yet.

And DeeperThought, the main point in the gameplay is to make every single level completable as alone. That way there won´t be especially not enough ammo -problem, which usually ruins the fun. However, if there´s too much ammo, it becomes too easy to complete the whole episode, so we try to stick into the absolute central balance in the gameplay, like this:

- the player has many weapons to choose from

--> every weapon should have a purpose/use at some point, hopefully in every single level
- not too much ammo and not too little ammo
- enemy balance obeys the difficulty
--> sense of progression; while going forward, enemies become more difficult to take out
--> enemy amount balances the ammo/weapon ratio
- not too much shooting, action should be balanced with some puzzles at times (key hunting, button pressing, running through the timed doors, etc)

That´s incomplete list, but I try to keep at least most of these things in my mind. It´s hard to clearly express all the important gameplay factors, it depends so much on the level you´re working on.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostRazorZ, on Oct 20 2010, 02:39 PM, said:

- the player has many weapons to choose from

--> every weapon should have a purpose/use at some point, hopefully in every single level
- not too much ammo and not too little ammo
- enemy balance obeys the difficulty
--> sense of progression; while going forward, enemies become more difficult to take out
--> enemy amount balances the ammo/weapon ratio
- not too much shooting, action should be balanced with some puzzles at times (key hunting, button pressing, running through the timed doors, etc)

That´s incomplete list, but I try to keep at least most of these things in my mind. It´s hard to clearly express all the important gameplay factors, it depends so much on the level you´re working on.

Yes, those are good guidelines, and I know you have followed them in your own maps, which I have enjoyed a lot. Although I think the timed door shrinker puzzles at the end of Mincer City were a mistake; it breaks the flow and it's very annoying because you can easily get squished, plus it feels anti-climactic after all the big battles in that map.

By the way, guys, if you do include a shrinker puzzle, make sure that the mirror wall is pal 4. That makes the mirror indestructible. Otherwise, the mirror often gets blown up and the level becomes impossible to complete.

User is offline   RazorZ 

View PostDeeperThought, on Oct 21 2010, 12:46 AM, said:

Yes, those are good guidelines, and I know you have followed them in your own maps, which I have enjoyed a lot. Although I think the timed door shrinker puzzles at the end of Mincer City were a mistake; it breaks the flow and it's very annoying because you can easily get squished, plus it feels anti-climactic after all the big battles in that map.

By the way, guys, if you do include a shrinker puzzle, make sure that the mirror wall is pal 4. That makes the mirror indestructible. Otherwise, the mirror often gets blown up and the level becomes impossible to complete.

Wow, I never knew about that! :( Thanks, DeeperThrough! Now let´s make a shrinker puzzle! :( Hehee... :D !

Just joking, I have no need to do a shrinker puzzle so far, but who knows, I or Undertaker may create one, they can be very interesting, when it´s in good balance with the action... :(
I try not to do the same mistake like in Mincer City, but there will be some puzzles and jumping included; I just added a section into the fourth map where you have to do some tricky jumping to get across the deadly gaps, I hope it is a balancing factor there.

User is offline   RazorZ 

Decided to create title screen for the episode. What do you think? :(

Duke Nukem - L.A Once More Title Screen

This post has been edited by RazorZ: 24 October 2010 - 12:34 AM

Hmm, looking great :( What about, if the first caption "Total meltdown continues" was bit more "damaged", cracked or something?

User is offline   RazorZ 

View PostunderTaker, on Oct 24 2010, 02:17 PM, said:

Hmm, looking great :( What about, if the first caption "Total meltdown continues" was bit more "damaged", cracked or something?

Hmm, I was thinking about it earlier, so... why not? :(

User is offline   LkMax 

The maps are looking great :(
I hope you keep up the good work and finish the episode!

I wish I could help but I started to study mapping and codes recently. Maybe in the future I make some maps or mods... DNF will probably be a great game but Duke 3D won't be forgotten so early. :(

View PostLkMax, on Oct 26 2010, 01:33 AM, said:

The maps are looking great :(
I hope you keep up the good work and finish the episode!

I wish I could help but I started to study mapping and codes recently. Maybe in the future I make some maps or mods... DNF will probably be a great game but Duke 3D won't be forgotten so early. :(

Thank you! :(
You're right - such an old good classics will live forever - well, thoose old games, like Duke, were the funniest ones to play :D

• Honored Donor

Has any progress been made? I can understand if real life has caused some kind of slowdown, it's a busy time of year, but this episode still has a lot of promise and it would be great to see it released eventually, even if only one map sees the light of day.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMicky C, on Jan 1 2011, 11:11 AM, said:

Has any progress been made? I can understand if real life has caused some kind of slowdown, it's a busy time of year, but this episode still has a lot of promise and it would be great to see it released eventually, even if only one map sees the light of day.

+1

Unfortunately i couldn't contact RazorZ, and i had really much work in school, now my situation isn't as bad as previously and i can spend some more time on this project, so soon i will post some new screens :P

Hello everybody.
I'm pretty sure everybody have already forgotten this topic and project :P No - it is not dead - it was just sleeping. I had totaly no time, no ideas and no motivations, however few days (or maybe weeks?) ago i started working over it again. Before i lost contact with RazorZ he started the fourth map, which wasn't edited for a pretty long time. I decided to finish it myself. Now it's almost done, let's say it's 95% done - it needs just 1 more location, placing the enemies and items and maybe a bit detailing.
I must say that i wanted this map to be as 3DR-styled as possible and i think it have been done. This map is bit less 3DR-styled as other ones, but it's surely the biggest and most detailed one.
The total progress of this mod for right now is about 70%. Three (i'm counthing also this one) of five maps are already done, and one of two secret maps is ready too. One of the maps is made mostly by RazorZ, so it will be harder to finish it without him (i didn't seen him online for ages o.O ) I will finish that map as the last one.
Here are some screenshots of this fourth level. I've been to lazy to launch it in-game, however it's mostly the same ;P

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
This part was the map's beginning - made by RazorZ
Posted Image
And some side-view
Posted Image

Let me know what do you think :D

This post has been edited by underTaker: 09 March 2011 - 10:38 AM

User is offline   Gambini 

I really like it. classic styled maps are so rare these days. We need more! I Wonder why you dont update your thread anymore at DNR.

Ehhm, that new sideview mapster function is pretty cool, gives a different perspective of a map (y)

• Duke Plus Developer

I like it too and I have been looking forward to this. It's sad that only a couple of people will reply when someone puts together a nice post like that with screenshots and asks for feedback.

Do I see some custom art in some of those shots?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Looks like it's going to be an interesting exploration.

I don't see any custom art, but maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Looks good anyway.

At least three people will let you know how they like it when you decide to release it.

This post has been edited by Forge: 09 March 2011 - 06:48 PM

• Honored Donor

They're nice and detailed for classic maps, I love the lighting

There are some custom arts, but this project will not contain tons of them - there will be just few - some textures for walls, some plates, marks and that EAGLE ROCK HILLSIDE PARK plate, which is the once custom art shown on thoose screens :P I'm going to make some serious progress on this project now - when i got more motivation, time and everything :D
Also i don't write too much on DNR now because this is my only project and even the only thing in Duke that i'm going. I'm not too active at community forums at all.
Thanks for comments guys :D

This post has been edited by underTaker: 10 March 2011 - 10:43 AM

Okay! As i said - i've done some progress. I can say this map (the fourth one - if you don't remember) is ready! :P Well, i'm really proud of this map - this is one of the first maps made by myself, that i can say about that i really like them! It has many differences in style, enemy placement and stuff between previous maps of this episode, and i decided i will do some minor changes to all of them, when i finish the episode.
This map maybe doesn't look too long, but it isn't short at all. Enemy/ammo/items placement will be tested yet. I think i will need some testers if RazorZ will not come back o.O
Well, enough talking, here are the screens - there are not too much, because the changes wasn't so big, and also i didn't want to spoil too much :D
Posted ImagePosted Image
And here you can compare how many changes has been made (well, mostly it was some detailing, bug fixes, enemies and items, but not only. Oh, and also you will see that thoose errors are gone! xP )
Posted Image

User is offline   E.C.S 

Awesome work! Very well detailed, keep doing that great work :P

• Duke Plus Developer

Looks like a winner.

Please don't make the player run back and forth across the map hunting for buttons, that's all I ask.

User is offline   E.C.S 

But...but...the buttons...the meaning of life... don't you like how pleasant sound everytime you push it?... why DT? WHY?????...

Anyway, we shall see how is the adventure in the maps.

• Honored Donor

So there are 4 finished maps? Great effort! And congrats on finishing your first self-made map :P

Thank you :P
Actually i try not to do such things, DT - i try to think of as much different types of puzzles i can, and here i can say - the best ideas in this case comes just by "accident" :D Like i've made some part, add some things and i see i can do something cool that i didn't even think about before. I think this maps will not be too boring in this case.

The thing that is really slowing me down is lack of ideas. Also i have a small difficulties with placing the enemies/weapons etc. but i think i'm getting better with it.

Next map is supposed to be facility-theme, and this is the only thing i'm pretty affraid of - i have totaly no experience with making facility-maps. We'll see what will happen :D

Also - there are 4 finished maps, and 1 secret map, that was supposed to be my standalone map - i wanted to create another episode previously, but other maps were crappy, and only this one was good, so i edited it a bit and made it secret level. This episode is supposed to be 5/2 (5 maps + 2 secrets), if i didn't write yet ^^

Well, i think it's time to do that minor changes i wrote about, and wait for some inspiration for next map :D

This post has been edited by underTaker: 14 March 2011 - 09:01 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options