Duke4.net Forums: school me on palettes - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

school me on palettes

User is offline   MIKE SIMS 

Alright, like the title suggests. Using eDuke, NOT HRP though (stamdard 8bit). If I want to use a darker palette from another game, how can I do a palette swap so the tiles I'm uploading don't come out so bright and "faded" looking?

User is offline   SwissCm 

Changing the palette is quite difficult and time consuming to the point where I probably wouldn't bother with it.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

If you have the know-how, make a palette taking the colors of the other game's art and putting the colors onto the Duke palette where you want the colors to go. Then run all the art through it and import it into the game.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Use the faqs and tools from here:

RTCM Editart

RTCM Editart faqs

There's a few that are for palettes

This post has been edited by Forge: 26 July 2010 - 05:28 PM

User is offline   Usurper 

• Hates Twitter

http://archive.dukertcm.com/knowledge-base...e-changing.html

Good luck. It's tedious and frustrating to get it just right once you've run transpal.

User is online   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

You'd have a much easier time just using 32bit color and importing all of the tiles with the new palette in a def. If you're trying to use software mode it's pretty much as terrible as suggested. At one point I had a tool that did part of the work for you, but you still get the problem of editing for the different palette swaps.

Sorry, Correction - 32bit eDuke.. I've fallen out of the modding loop for a while so I'm back to noob status :[

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Making a pal isn't necessarily hard, but you have to do not only the initial palette, but you have to make a palette for EVERY shade value, every alternate palette and their shade values, etc etc etc

Yeah that's what I figured. Hmmm, I tried the HRP route but just don't have the patience/know how to successfully accomplish it. I'm trying to use a palette that's darker in colors, like the Doom64 palette for example

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

If you don't have the "patience/know how" to work out how the 32bit high tile works then I am going to assume you won't be able to work out how to create a new palette easily. (not trying to sound harsh or anything)

EDIT: Is typing a def line to link to a picture really that hard?

This post has been edited by The Commander: 28 July 2010 - 01:03 PM

User is offline   Usurper 

• Hates Twitter

View PostMIKE SIMS, on Jul 28 2010, 12:39 PM, said:

Yeah that's what I figured. Hmmm, I tried the HRP route but just don't have the patience/know how to successfully accomplish it. I'm trying to use a palette that's darker in colors, like the Doom64 palette for example

Thank beer. I thought you were one of those harcore "I love ugly pixelated garbage" people who we'd never be able to convince to use hightile. So yeah, use hightile. If you don't understand something in the docs, let us know.

• Weaponized Autism

I'd take an "I love ugly pixelated garbage" person over an "I love 3D models with mirrored UVs for there [sic] face and half-finished ninjas" person any day. =D

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 30 July 2010 - 08:38 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

We're talking about Duke Nukem 3D here, not Witchaven. There is no "ugly pixelated garbage" to be found.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Jul 30 2010, 11:43 PM, said:

We're talking about Duke Nukem 3D here, not Witchaven. There is no "ugly pixelated garbage" to be found.

View PostMIKE SIMS, on Jul 25 2010, 11:57 PM, said:

darker palette from another game

?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

His intentions might not be to use the original art, I don't know. Kinda besides the point, anyways.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options