• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

NB(C?)BP  "Build project for new builders"

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostMikko_Sandt, on Mar 18 2011, 06:46 PM, said:

Ugh, I just went through three maps, then started playing Oporix's and noticed it still hasn't got an ending. Did you not test the new version prior to releasing it? This is frustrating because now there's no way of getting back to the hub and I have to replay all maps if someone comes up with a new version that actually works.

You obviously missed the exit. (NBCBP.ZIP from 2011-03-11)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: opo1.jpg
  • Attached Image: opo2.jpg

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Sorry, my bad, the problem was that I had the old version of Oporix's map in my Duke3D directory, which overrode the one in the pack.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Anyone managed to push the secret button in Oporix's part? It's right behind the arcade machine in the first room but I can't seem to be able to push it.

Another curious bug: In Radar's part there's that hive room near the beginning. It overlaps the exit room (see the map in Build or type "dnshowmap") which means that you can accidentally end the level way before you're supposed to.

Ah, somebody changed the code that made the dipswitches operate, I'll have to fix that I suppose - I could move the switch...

As for the bug in Radar's map, I was aware of this bug, as a result code was added so that the level could not supposed to end until you can "see" the actor that triggers the level to exit, I can not reproduce the issue here and I haven't changed anything since the upload. I don't think that room is connected to anything (Other than the teleporter), I could probably have just moved it and nobody would have noticed meaning the code I added (which obviously doesn't do as it is supposed to do). I could make the excuse that you can just re-enter the map, but that would be lame, I shall probably fix it shortly.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

I also noticed that completing your map doesn't open the button thing in the Hub map. The same with Oporix's map, although dunno if that's because I failed to push the secret button.

Yes, this is to indicate which map you hit the secret buttons in, if you missed the button, it won't open, I'll be sure to check for problems there though, but I am certain it was working.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

I did hit the button in your map though, the one next to the exit.

Hmm... I can't find anything wrong with it, it's probably a glitch in the code that I can't find, it's not vastly improtant anyway - though it does malfunction on several occasions.

I fixed the other errors, so if anyone is interested; http://www.mediafire...6cs638g2w5dw1u4

There are minor alterations in place, so the major bugs should have been removed.

If you open the console you might be able to trick the game into thinking you hit the switched by setting the vars (NCBP1 through NCBP8) for them to 1, "setver NCBP1 1" for example.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 18 March 2011 - 01:54 PM

User is offline   Shawneth 

The secret map, is it still added? That was me and undertaker's initial goal but I don't remember uploading it, I lost it when my Pentium 2 was destroyed, but I managed to save the main pieces.

It's not your secret map, as I don't have a copy, there is a secret boss area in the hub map I included which opens if you get all of the dipswitches.

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View PostHigh Treason, on Mar 18 2011, 09:04 PM, said:

It's not your secret map, as I don't have a copy, there is a secret boss area in the hub map I included which opens if you get all of the dipswitches.

Please, please pm me to where the switch is hidden in my map. I can't for the life of me find it!

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Anyone care to reveal the location of the secret button in MickyC's map? I remember finding it the first time I played the pack but I'm pretty lost now.

Spoiler

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Thanks!

Anyways, the pack's been reviewed, check: http://msdn.duke4.net

User is offline   underTaker 

Well i guess it would be really cool to start some kind of the same project, but this time with more work and time spent on it, like someone already said. Don't connect everything with a hub, just do some regular map, like most of the CBPs are.
Anyway, i pretty enjoyed playing theese maps.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The large map I'm currently working on for a school project has lots of areas where other maps can be added on the side. I'll work on it a bit more at school and PM it to High Treason to see if he agrees with me that it could be used as a base map. If that turns out to be the case, it'll most likely be a nice, large, noob-y unlinear map with different ways to reach the finish.

User is offline   underTaker 

Sounds interresting, Micky. Actually i didn't think of something like that, but it sounds even better.

View PostMikko_Sandt, on Mar 22 2011, 03:24 PM, said:

Thanks!

Anyways, the pack's been reviewed, check: http://msdn.duke4.net

That was a great review Mikko and the kind words are an encouragement to us that are relatively new to mapping.
Thanks for putting this on your site as I for one feel honored being there.
Still haven't found all the dip switches, including the one on my map, even though I was told where it is!?! ;)

Yeah, nice review, and I agree with VinsaneOne, it is an honour to see our names on there.

@VinsaneOne - I'm not sure as to why it would not show up, all I can think is that perhaps something changes in the HRP though that would not explain why it doesn't work without the HRP - unless the .def file is being completely ignored for some reason.

If all else fails, you could try bringing the console down and typing;
setvar NCBP3 1
Into it which should make the game think you have hit the switch (though it's a bit tempermental, the HUD should update if it worked).

This post has been edited by High Treason: 22 March 2011 - 06:04 PM

View PostHigh Treason, on Mar 22 2011, 10:02 PM, said:

Yeah, nice review, and I agree with VinsaneOne, it is an honour to see our names on there.

@VinsaneOne - I'm not sure as to why it would not show up, all I can think is that perhaps something changes in the HRP though that would not explain why it doesn't work without the HRP - unless the .def file is being completely ignored for some reason.

If all else fails, you could try bringing the console down and typing;
setvar NCBP3 1
Into it which should make the game think you have hit the switch (though it's a bit tempermental, the HUD should update if it worked).

Just tried again. No HRP and took a screenshot. Guess I'll try your suggestion.
Attached Image: duke0013.jpg

Actually, another thought occured to me - something so obvious that I can't believe I didn't think of it, despite the fact that it has occured before.

If you have an old version of your map in the Duke folder, it will override the modified version in the NBCBP, though it would probably cause other problems, it might be worth having a look. It would make sense if this were the case as it is your map, so there is a good chance this is the case. If you do have an old copy of your map in the main Duke3D folder, moving or re-naming it should solve the problem.

EDIT: Come to think of it, here are some general rules for people that have problems

> If you have old versions of these maps in your main Duke3D folder, move or re-name them.
> If you have a USER.CON in your main Duke3D folder, it will stop the code for the NBCBP from being parsed.
> If you have a duke3d.def in your main Duke3D folder, it will stop the .def file being loaded for the NBCBP, resulting in the dipswitches and doors disappearing.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 22 March 2011 - 08:47 PM

Yes, I do as a matter of fact. That might be the answer! Didn't think that could happen loading my map from the hub. Gonna check this out and let you know.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Ok so I've sent High Treason the map (mostly undetailed, not really finished) and a wall of text about it which I'm sure he'll have a blast reading though ;)

If we're going to do another NBCBP, who'd be interested in participating? Me? High Treason? Undertaker? (although, undertaker, you seem like a pretty good mapper and I wouldn't consider you noob myself, you're doing some great stuff in the "the game" episode).

Oh I almost forgot! My map has no shading other than a few polymer lights sprawn about the place, something should probably be done about that...

View PostHigh Treason, on Mar 23 2011, 12:41 AM, said:

Actually, another thought occured to me - something so obvious that I can't believe I didn't think of it, despite the fact that it has occured before.

If you have an old version of your map in the Duke folder, it will override the modified version in the NBCBP, though it would probably cause other problems, it might be worth having a look. It would make sense if this were the case as it is your map, so there is a good chance this is the case. If you do have an old copy of your map in the main Duke3D folder, moving or re-naming it should solve the problem.

Way to go man, that did it!
Now to play the whole thing over and get all the dips. As I remember there was one other map that I didn't find the switch, but my goal now is get them all for the bonus map.

Share this topic:

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options