Duke4.net Forums: Duke In 2006 - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke In 2006

User is offline   Nihilanth 

oakman, on Jan 9 2006, 02:58 PM, said:

I'd hope to get it by at least mid o6. I'm getting a little tired of waiting.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Errr, you mean article or DNF?

User is offline   Assault 

I remember there use to be a site called DukeED, which actually thought how to use UnrealED and said that it would be very similar with Duke. It was sometime after the 2001 trailer. I learned how to use UnrealED from that site just for DNF and said that it when it comes out next year I would be ready to build Duke levels on the go.
You can guess what happen after that.

User is offline   Rider 

We will have new official DNF info by the end of this year.

We will have visual material of DNF 6 months after prey's release (if not sooner)

I'm just guessing but hey :)

User is offline   Halcyon 

Rider, on Jan 15 2006, 08:42 PM, said:

We will have new official DNF info by the end of this year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I want to have DNF in my hands by the end of this year. :)

User is offline   Lead 

Given the things GB has said unless there is a decision to start some part of the game over again or redo something major I've been thinking a while that Fall\Winter 2006 we'd probably have some sort of news on it, and the game would be out sometime 2007.

My guess really is just based off things hes said over time. One time when switching to newer tech I figured they were adding normal maps in because it was the only real thing I could think of that would make them decide to scrap all their art like they did. Normal game textures are like painted complete images where theres all the fake shadow and shine in them. While anything using a normal map will have things separated more. Thats like maybe two years ago I was thinking that though, now that Doom3 and similar tech games have been out its easier to see what I'm talking about there.

Though little things he's said now, it sounds like any major technical development is done with, and the major things would just more along the lines of gameplay\art. Its been a while since they've been said to be around that point, so I'm wondering lately now that we're in 2006 how it would take them more than 1-2 years to finish that portion of the game up. Especially given that a long time ago he said the engine was basically done, and moreso lately like the front page article at the moment on this site where he declares all the weapons to be done, as well as most of the creatures. The game itself isn't done but if you are declaring important elements like that to be complete then that to me suggests they are somewhat rounding the corner.

I'm just hoping the game will still have lots of new ideas and gameplay given the big mouths some people have, and the others who have left to go work at other companies.

User is offline   St3amb0 

hi,
I'm the new guy B)
*sorry for my bad english, but i'm german* :)
so, i think duke will be shown to the public at E3 in may! Did not George B. said something in last year?! I really hope so! B)

User is offline   Lead 

I doubt they would shot it at E3 unless they were positive it would be out by the end of the year. From what I recall George saying, they don't exactly have fond feelings towards E3 these days. I think it was because they said due to the internet they can get the same coverage, exposure and reactions by just releasing things over the internet.

Although what they say and what they do isn't always the same. So having said that they'll probably all end up taking an E3 vacation. :)

User is offline   kaisersoze 

• Honored Donor

St3amb0, on Feb 14 2006, 07:14 PM, said:

hi,
I'm the new guy  B)
*sorry for my bad english, but i'm german* :)
so, i think duke will be shown to the public at E3 in may! Did not George B. said something in last year?! I really hope so!  B)
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The story goes something like this: PC GAMER saw DNF in it's current state while they visited 3dr headquarters for a preview of "Prey". Off the record, a staff member was *apparently* told that everyone would get to see DNF at the E3 2006 show May of this year.

Whether it was true or not I guess we'll find out in 3 more months.

User is offline   Spooger 

kaisersoze, on Feb 15 2006, 07:53 PM, said:

The story goes something like this: PC GAMER saw DNF in it's current state while they visited 3dr headquarters for a preview of "Prey". Off the record, a staff member was *apparently* told that everyone would get to see DNF at the E3 2006 show May of this year.

Whether it was true or not I guess we'll find out in 3 more months.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hadn't heard about that last part :) I pulled out my scan (The tidbit on DNF in the PC Gamer Prey preview) and I certainly did notice that the writer seemed very, very certain that we'd see DNF in 2006.

Where did you hear that a staff member of PC Gamer was given extra info, and in your opinion, how credible do you suppose it is?

• Honored Donor

Spooger, on Feb 16 2006, 02:26 AM, said:

I hadn't heard about that last part :) I pulled out my scan (The tidbit on DNF in the PC Gamer Prey preview) and I certainly did notice that the writer seemed very, very certain that we'd see DNF in 2006.

Where did you hear that a staff member of PC Gamer was given extra info, and in your opinion, how credible do you suppose it is?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It boils down to a "he said, she said" kinda deal with the info.

PC Gamer has another "sister" mag in the UK. Supposedly one of the UK staff
members talked with a PC Gamer staff member and the whole E3 2006 came about.

Three months until we find out or not.

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

George already said DNF won't be shown at E3.

• Honored Donor

Roger, on Feb 16 2006, 05:35 PM, said:

George already said DNF won't be shown at E3.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Put it this way, we'll know in 3 months.

User is offline   s0d28 

or, he could be just messing with us, we know he's done that a few times..

I HOPE :) duke will come back to our pc`s in december 06. But realisticly i think it will get released in Summer 07! B)

• Honored Donor

I'm also beginning to rethink the game's status. I now think it's doubtful the game will ship this year.

I don't think we'll see DNF until late 2007/2008.

User is offline   Micki! 

• Candy Consumptionist & Administrator

kaisersoze, on Mar 7 2006, 08:02 PM, said:

I'm also beginning to rethink the game's status. I now think it's doubtful the game will ship this year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Howeveer, the game sounds to be in very good shape... And PC Gamer expected to see something already early this year... So i'm certain we'll at least see something this year...
And after that, it can't be too far from release... :)

kaisersoze, on Mar 7 2006, 08:02 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

late 2007/2008??????
This would be a total desaster :)
Why its should take 2 more years for finnishing the game?! The DX 9 grafics would be outdated, look at the CRYSIS-DX 10-Screens!
http://img206.imageshack.us/my.php?image=c...200603312yj.jpg

User is offline   Nihilanth 

Officially DNF won't be on E3... neither this year nor any other. It can be just a announcment not to rise anyones expectations, but I'd rather think it really won't be on E3. Like people above said, we'll all see.

We don't know the games status. Most people think it's getting close to release, but in fact we don't know. According to quotes from the devs, I can assume that it's doing well; most of the stuff is finished. Also the engine can suggest a deadline. It has some weak points (from what I know), so it could not be groundbreaking in mid 2007 and later...

But all this stuff is just guessing. We don't know. Maybe graphics will look outstanding either in next year or so. Maybe polishing of the gameplay will take longer than we expect. Maybe they're still in alpha phase.

Or maybe it'll ship this year... no one knows.

St3amb0, I wouldn't bet on it. It'll take a quite some time for developers to establish a good variety of dx10 games. Plus, Crysis is first and it's still far away. And who's telling that cool game HAVE to be technological behemoth? You can't really say that dx9 will be outdated in 2007/2008, because you haven't seen DNF. Like I said before, maybe it looks photorealistic? Then who needs dx10 if DNF looks photorealistic... Or maybe it'll look like hell... Nah, that's something I really doubt. :)

What weaknesses are you talking about with reagard to the DNF engine ?

User is offline   Beelze 

Nowadays, a great game usually takes 3 or more years to make with a crew the size of 3D Realms (not counting the development of the engine). The current incarnation of DNF has been in development for about 4 years, with the engine being stable for about 3 of those years. Also, if you count the work done on DNF before the restart(s), such as the gameplay code that was carried over, and good old fashioned planning, the current incarnation has foundation worth a few years to stand upon.

Moreso than in the past, 3D Realms have a tech window tech window to consider, even if they "shot pretty high". They don't want their game to look outdated, and preferably they want it to be a graphical stand-out. If they hold it in too long, they'll miss this opportunity. Graphics don't last as long as they used to, and a year means a lot. My hunch is that they won't spend more than two more years on developing DNF. Probably less. We'll probably get some media in 2007.

2008 or never? (!)

User is offline   Cerberus_e 

"Beelze" said:

Moreso than in the past, 3D Realms have a tech window tech window to consider, even if they "shot pretty high". They don't want their game to look outdated, and preferably they want it to be a graphical stand-out. If they hold it in too long, they'll miss this opportunity. Graphics don't last as long as they used to, and a year means a lot.

True graphical quality still comes from the artistic direction. A good artistic direction with good technology in, say, 2003, can look as good as a game in 2006 with good technology but subpar artistic direction. So I wouldn't worry about that too much, especially since developers use the technology of when they plan to release the game, not the technology of when they are developing it. Duke Nukem Forever can permit itself to be released late :)

2007 would be nice, but 2008 would be OK for me if that means the game has a satisfying length, unlike Prey. It needs to be at least 2, preferably 3, times longer.

...but you prefer 2007 so you can FINALLY upgrade your computer? B) B)

User is offline   Beelze 

Cerberus_e, on Jul 14 2006, 04:03 PM, said:

True graphical quality still comes from the artistic direction. A good artistic direction with good technology in, say, 2003, can look as good as a game in 2006 with good technology but subpar artistic direction. So I wouldn't worry about that too much, especially since developers use the technology of when they plan to release the game, not the technology of when they are developing it. Duke Nukem Forever can permit itself to be released late :)

The better graphics technology you have, the more things can be pulled off artistically. You couldn't pull a Doom 3 with the technology available during the days of the original Pong. Of course developers, the ones that can afford it, start out with next-gen graphics technology rather than current gen, and so did 3D Realms (hence they "shot pretty high"). But last we heard, DNF was a "full DirectX 9" game... and "full DirectX 10" games are on the horizon right now.

2007 would be nice, but 2008 would be OK for me if that means the game has a satisfying length, unlike Prey. It needs to be at least 2, preferably 3, times longer.

...but you prefer 2007 so you can FINALLY upgrade your computer? B) B)
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, dammit! They're not the only ones delaying something. B)

User is offline   Cerberus_e 

Not in the days of Pong, no, but that's why I used a 2-3 year gap example, which is really the time Duke Nukem Forever comes too late.

Full DirectX 10 doesn't look significantly better than full DirectX 9, it's just another trick to get people to buy Windows Vista, which leads me to the next point, if Duke Nukem Forever was full DirectX 10, I wouldn't buy it. (Except when it takes SO long to release, that I already have Windows Vista by that time :))

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

Please, don't mention '2008' in a DNF thread. I'm all depressed now. :)

User is offline   Beelze 

DirectX 10 might not be that impressive, but it's only among the first things DNF might be lacking, and "singled out" for. Laughing stock of the business, and all that.

RedSplat, on Jul 14 2006, 08:01 PM, said:

Please, don't mention '2008' in a DNF thread.  I'm all depressed now.   B)
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There, there... How about 52 B.C. then? Feeling any better? :)

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

I'd hope that it would have DirectX 9 support as opposed to 10, if only because I don't want to have to get Vista for it.

Roger, on Sep 21 2006, 12:57 AM, said:

I'd hope that it would have DirectX 9 support as opposed to 10, if only because I don't want to have to get Vista for it.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They are not neccesarily mutually exclusive. Crysis supports both. But I highly doubt 3DR will or have implemented DX10 support, I guess that would be too much work and is not even in the same league as simplemented HDR support or motion blur or something.

User is offline   avatar_58 

I'm actually curious how much longer 3DR is going to keep DNF away. Once Crysis is out and DX10 starts its rounds they are going to be less and less impressive visually.

While that may not matter to you or me, the sales are going to reflect it. People are not going to buy a game they see as outdated unfortunately. :)

The way I see it - if DNF waits too long and full DX10 effects are implemented into a AAA game that sells well then 3DR are pushing their luck.

User is offline   Micki! 

• Candy Consumptionist & Administrator

When is Crysis supposed to be released anyways..?

User is offline   ultra tree 85! 

• Honored Donor

Micki!, on Sep 22 2006, 09:55 AM, said:

When is Crysis supposed to be released anyways..?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's supposed to be released in late 2006. :)

I hope that somewhere from late 2006-mid 2007 DNF will finally be unveiled. B)

They haven't re-started since late 2002/early 2003, so they should have tons of work done, and be getting close to showing the game. B)

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options