Duke4.net Forums: 3DR-T2 Lawsuit settled - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3DR-T2 Lawsuit settled  "Finally its Over!!!!!"

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

Finally, someone admits to masturbating to the news...

User is offline   3dwizard 

View PostMr.Flibble, on Jun 13 2010, 09:59 AM, said:

Finally, someone admits to masturbating to the news...

I had sex with the news, I didn't masturbate to them.

Btw, to those hoping that 3DR will resume internal development, the following from that Gamesauce interview makes that rather unlikely, after explaining how they could afford to develop DNF for so long Scott says the following about what they should have done differently:

Even so, I think I would have abandoned internal development six or seven years ago. I much prefer to work with external studios to develop games, as we did with Max Payne and Prey. Radar is following this very model, with no internal development. I wanted 3D Realms to switch to this model years ago, as it’s much more cost effective for us, with lower risk. For other independent developers this advice doesn’t apply. What I’d recommend for them is to not strive for perfection, which is the enemy of completion. For practically all aspects of a game, 80% is good enough.
(Ephasis mine)

User is offline   robotman5 

finally its over :(

6 or 7 years ago appears to coincide with the failure to ship the 2001 E3 version of DNF.

and breathe out

"This lawsuit was filed May 14, 2009, Scott Miller said it would be over within a year and it was settled on May 14, 2010".

Kristian Joensen - 3DRealms board.

He said "give it a year and the truth will come out" I think. I remember talking to Jobi about it.

This post has been edited by Sinisterambo: 13 June 2010 - 10:20 PM

View PostDISRUPTOR, on Jun 11 2010, 10:48 AM, said:

Well now there is no excuse is there. I DEMAND MEDIA, RELEASE DATE, AND DEMO!!!!!
If you actually have anything to show for all these long years 3DR then show it! :(

I don't believe it over and they STILL won't talk.... so no they won't do that :(

User is offline   Lt.Havoc 

Hell its about time. I am happy to hear that the lawsuit is over. I think both sites could not afford a long drawn out lawsuit and the fact that Activision and some others did a similar thing back then, which resulted in a lot of criticism by the fans and the media. Well now we have to see what they do with it.

How was that again? "Never say never again"

View PostLt.Havoc, on Jun 14 2010, 04:01 AM, said:

Hell its about time. I am happy to hear that the lawsuit is over. I think both sites could not afford a long drawn out lawsuit and the fact that Activision and some others did a similar thing back then, which resulted in a lot of criticism by the fans and the media. Well now we have to see what they do with it.

How was that again? "Never say never again"

DAMN RIGHT! they should say SOMETHING! I mean its not like they can't now is it?

Scott is attending E3 until thursday!

User is offline   3dwizard 

View PostSinisterambo, on Jun 13 2010, 03:56 PM, said:

and breathe out

"This lawsuit was filed May 14, 2009, Scott Miller said it would be over within a year and it was settled on May 14, 2010".

Kristian Joensen - 3DRealms board.

He said "give it a year and the truth will come out" I think. I remember talking to Jobi about it.

Wait, what the fuck? Exactly a year? Same day of the same month of the next year?
What are the odds? And how did Scott Miller know that it was going to be exactly one year?
This is extremely weird, almost as if the trial was fake and the end date was known?

This post has been edited by 3dwizard: 14 June 2010 - 07:48 AM

User is offline   Lt.Havoc 

View Post3dwizard, on Jun 14 2010, 05:42 PM, said:

Wait, what the fuck? Exactly a year? Same day of the same month of the next year?
What are the odds? And how did Scott Miller know that it was going to be exactly one year?
This is extremely weird, almost as if the trial was fake and the end date was known?

Nah that is a mare coincidence. He just said "In a year you will see the truth" and we had established from the beginning that such a lawsuit would take at least 1 year if not longer. That it was exactly one year is just a coincidence.

View PostLt.Havoc, on Jun 14 2010, 08:51 AM, said:

Nah that is a mare coincidence. He just said "In a year you will see the truth" and we had established from the beginning that such a lawsuit would take at least 1 year if not longer. That it was exactly one year is just a coincidence.

True that.

• I have the power!

Actually, the case was brought out on the 17th and closed on the 14th...still, about a year.

Also, Scott Miller being at E3 means nothing.

IIRC, SM has gone to E3 regularly, if not every year. Simply because he is an industry insider and want to know what is going on.

User is offline   Raziel 

I dunno if it's just me, but it irritates me to the bone that Broussard is still saying 'no comment' even though the lawsuit is over. I mean, seriously, I was okay with it before because he kept saying they can't talk about it because of the lawsuit - but that's over now, so what's his excuse this time?!

Seriously, I feel we've been jacked around for the last 13 years, and what do we have to show for it? Nothing, not even a demo. Daikatana might have sucked when it came out, but at least that produced a fun demo before it all turned to shit. To put it in terms even Broussard can understand, the fans deserve a proper statement, a playable demo and a release date. None of this 'when it's done' shit, because obviously that doesn't work.

View PostMr.Flibble, on Jun 14 2010, 02:16 PM, said:

Actually, the case was brought out on the 17th and closed on the 14th...still, about a year.

Also, Scott Miller being at E3 means nothing.

True Scott Miller being at E3 means nothing - since he and George have NOTHING WORTHWHILE to present at E3

User is offline   Green 

Out of respect, I won't ask for details. But I simply want to know, are you feeling happy/sad/ecstatic/optimistic, considering that the court case is now over with?

It's bittersweet. We went though a lot that we didn't have to because of a publisher that was all too willing to use their legal team as a weapon.

Had we not crafted a creative solution to the suit, it could have drug on and on and things could have stayed in limbo much longer than they were and it could have been a lose-lose-lose situation for us, Take 2 and the fans.
GeorgeBroussard answered 29 minutes ago

• I have the power!

I do wonder what that "creative solution" was. But since we may never know, I'll leave it to the crazies here to guess blindly.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View PostMr.Flibble, on Jun 29 2010, 02:27 AM, said:

"creative solution"

It sounds like Kaiser's rumor could be true. :)

This post has been edited by NUKEMDAVE: 28 June 2010 - 10:58 PM

User is offline   Green 

I believe that the creative solution was they managed to understand Patrick Bateman's psychology.
Thus with the understanding of how his mind works they managed to convince him to kill Take-Two Interactive execs one by one.
After killing the executives at Take-Two Interactive Patrick Bateman proceeded to have sexual intercourse with all of their wives.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Untitled.jpg
  • Attached Image: fk.jpg

This post has been edited by Mr. Green: 28 June 2010 - 11:35 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMr. Green, on Jun 29 2010, 08:50 AM, said:

and it could have been a lose-lose-lose situation for us, Take 2 and the fans.

:)

They sold the ip, no doubt. At least it kind of sounds like that could be it. Unless they worked a deal with another developer and still own it. I sure don't see them re-hiring another internal team and all that crap.

but wasn't it said that 3DR still owns the Duke IP ? Its still listed on the US trademarks website.

View PostJobi-Wan Kenobi, on Jun 29 2010, 06:16 AM, said:

but wasn't it said that 3DR still owns the Duke IP ? Its still listed on the US trademarks website.

Indeed. It's either not been updated or maybe I'm wrong. They could still own it, but they could have made a deal with another developer to finish it. Question is, who's the developer? :)

Edit: There's probably evidence out there pointing to which developer is finishing it if you knew where to look.

This post has been edited by NUKEMDAVE: 29 June 2010 - 02:28 AM

I think they've bought the publishing rights back from Take 2 with the money the Prey IP.

They've promised good news later this year anyway, I think its as soon as they have found another publisher that they'll make an announcement.

This post has been edited by Sinisterambo: 29 June 2010 - 04:58 AM

User is offline   BugsBunny 

Creative solution. So perhaps someone is creating something for DNF. I still put my bet on a 3rd party developer.

User is offline   Raziel 

View PostMr. Green, on Jun 28 2010, 08:50 PM, said:

Out of respect, I won't ask for details. But I simply want to know, are you feeling happy/sad/ecstatic/optimistic, considering that the court case is now over with?

Obviously I'm happy the court case is over. I'm also cautiously optimistic that something good will happen moving forward. But I'm still annoyed that we basically don't know anything and still don't have a sequel to Duke3D after 13+ years of waiting... Seriously, WTF is up with that?!

Having said that, I don't know where this answer from Broussard is that you were referring to, have you got a link for me?

User is offline   Green 

http://www.formsprin...GeorgeBroussard

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostMr. Green, on Jun 29 2010, 01:50 AM, said:

It's bittersweet. We went though a lot that we didn't have to because of a publisher that was all too willing to use their legal team as a weapon.

Had we not crafted a creative solution to the suit, it could have drug on and on and things could have stayed in limbo much longer than they were and it could have been a lose-lose-lose situation for us, Take 2 and the fans.
GeorgeBroussard answered 29 minutes ago

Holy shit, He actually answered my question! I was the one who asked that.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 29 June 2010 - 04:41 PM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options