Duke4.net Forums: 3DR-T2 Lawsuit settled - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3DR-T2 Lawsuit settled  "Finally its Over!!!!!"

User is offline   BlackDays 

We don't know the terms of the settlement, so basically they could have said we won't sue you for millions if you just give us the Duke Nukem IP. Take Two could then outsource the IP to another developer and have the game completed by them.

Nobody really knows what this means, but given the fact that nobody at 3D Realms is celebrating, there is kind of reason for concern.

This isn't GREAT news, but it's good news.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Biggest joke ever. (the whole of the lawsuit thing)

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

If you bothered to read the post it said that 3DRealms retains the IP of Duke Nukem according to the trademark office. Most likely Take Two is going to get involved in the development to get it finished and get a big chunk of the profits when it's finally finished and released.

Just a big publicity stunt on both parts to get free advertising IMO.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

This thread is unsurprisingly nicer to read than the shit on 3DR's forum....

User is offline   kaisersoze 

• Honored Donor

So are we free to speculate here on Duke4.net or are we going to be insulted by overzealous ex-employees with apparent
chips on their shoulders in here as well?

User is offline   Green 

Let the speculation begin?

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMack, on Jun 11 2010, 02:34 PM, said:

Posted Image

Hmm, let's see...

A game company that promises greatness and then can't deliver, but enjoys the slavish devotion of clueless morons. Spends money it can't afford and then has nothing to show for it except unemployed workers.

A President who promises greatness and then can't deliver, but enjoys the slavish devotion of clueless morons. Spends trillions in deficit spending on a "stimulus" and other crap and has nothing to show for it except millions of unemployed workers.

Yes, I think your poster is perfectly apt.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 11 June 2010 - 08:05 PM

User is offline   supergoofy 

If ever DNF will be released, I hope it doesn't have DRM protection methods, like UBISOFT's DRM.

If it has that kind of stupid protection, I will never buy it. Else count me in, I will buy it the first day it will be out.

User is offline   kaisersoze 

• Honored Donor

Speculation:

I think 1 of the 2 scenarios below is most likely similiar to how this got resolved.

Scenario 1:

3drealms was able to "buy out" of their contractual obligations to Take 2 regarding the game. IE: Take 2 no longer
has the rights to produce/publish the game.

But what about the money or lack thereof Kaiser?

-Let's say a company like Microsoft came in and said "George, Scott, we'll give you x amount of dollars, we'll take over the publishing
rights for the game and pay off Take 2 to make them walk away. In return, DNF will be an Xbox exclusive release. However, you will retain
ownership of the Duke IP." 3drealms then contacted another external developer to complete the game.

Why do I think this is possible? George and Scott's feelings regarding Take 2 are well established. From George telling Take 2 to
"stfu" and Scott openly lobbying for EA to buy Take 2, it's apparent there was no love lost between the parties. Especially 3drealms
who mentioned that they never lose lawsuits and never settle.

This is probably the scenario that makes most sense. 3drealms is happy they retain ownership of the IP and get Take 2 out of the picture
completely. Take 2 is happy to just get a paycheck for what they felt they were "owed".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------------
Scenario 2:

-3drealms found an external developer who was willing to work on the game pro bono and take payment after the game ships.
They took this information to Take 2 with solid dates for completion(if not already done) and Take 2 settled. Cash really is king
and 3drealms and Take 2 are friends again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't believe it's wishful thinking to expect some type of news/announcement regarding Duke Nukem Forever at E3. The timing
is highly suspect and now that the news is "out there" right before the world's biggest video game expo, it's surely going to be
one of the most talked about/sought after news stories during E3 imo.

Stay Tuned? Indeed.

They wouldn't be able to afford to put in the DRM protection. HAHA

Companys like EA spend millions on that shit now just for it to be cracked within 3 days of release.
*cough cough C&C 4*

This post has been edited by The Commander: 11 June 2010 - 08:23 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Many of the popular games have been released at least 7 days before official release...

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostDeeperThought, on Jun 11 2010, 11:59 PM, said:

Hmm, let's see...

A game company that promises greatness and then can't deliver, but enjoys the slavish devotion of clueless morons. Spends money it can't afford and then has nothing to show for it except unemployed workers.

A President who promises greatness and then can't deliver, but enjoys the slavish devotion of clueless morons. Spends trillions in deficit spending on a "stimulus" and other crap and has nothing to show for it except millions of unemployed workers.

This is suppose to be a happy thread, be positive! :(

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostReaperMan, on Jun 11 2010, 10:04 PM, said:

This is suppose to be a happy thread, be positive! :(

I am happy. Being happy and being positive are not the same thing.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostDeeperThought, on Jun 12 2010, 01:26 AM, said:

I am happy. Being happy and being positive are not the same thing.

True, but being positive makes people happy. :( :( http://forums2.duke4...tyle_emoticons/default/smile.gif

I am positive that this game will not be released any years soon.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I know 2 people who feel the same way as the commander who have each promised to get me a free, legit copy of the game when it comes out, so it better come out! :(

User is offline   Kathy 

Shit.... Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in!

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I checked out the 3DR forums and the thing I should find most disturbing, but hey, this is the 3DR DNF forum, is how fast it went from:

"Hey, the lawsuit is settled, now the way is clear for some kind of Duke development" to complete religious mania that that the game is going to magically hit the shelves over the weekend.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 11 June 2010 - 10:52 PM

View PostTea Monster, on Jun 12 2010, 08:51 AM, said:

I checked out the 3DR forums and the thing I should find most disturbing, but hey, this is the 3DR DNF forum, is how fast it went from:

"Hey, the lawsuit is settled, now the way is clear for some kind of Duke development" to complete religious mania that that the game is going to magically hit the shelves over the weekend.

remember Take 2 was denied to hold the development on DNF and 3DR stating to continue the development on DNF. :(

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View PostJobi-Wan Kenobi, on Jun 12 2010, 04:23 AM, said:

remember Take 2 was denied to hold the development on DNF and 3DR stating to continue the development on DNF. :(

And we can assume development has been going on at least since that comment made by Jon St. John at MagFest, probably even before that, but at least that long. I bet he's been hard at work voicing for the game at last! :(

I think it took the voice actor of Niko Bellic in GTA4 about 9 months to complete his voice work. DNF probably won't have that much voicing to do, plus the Niko Bellic voice actor had to learn to speak with a Russian accent at first which probably delayed things. Jon St. John already has the voice, so he can get it done quick.

This post has been edited by NUKEMDAVE: 12 June 2010 - 01:06 AM

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostThe Commander, on Jun 12 2010, 09:30 AM, said:

Biggest joke ever. (the whole of the lawsuit thing)

Like magic the lawsuit ends days before E3. Not that it's going to be at E3, but still suspicious. :(

It's nice that it's over at least, the drama has ended for this chapter. If it ever does get released GB should write a book about the saga of DNF, it's got enough twists, turns, and such to make it a best selling book!

User is offline   Johnny 

Great News! :(

User is offline   Kathy 

Like magic, 3dr team was fired before E3.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

View PostDeeperThought, on Jun 11 2010, 10:59 PM, said:

Hmm, let's see...

I love you.

User is offline   crunchysuperman 

• Honored Donor

View Postkaisersoze, on Jun 12 2010, 12:22 AM, said:

So are we free to speculate here on Duke4.net or are we going to be insulted by overzealous ex-employees with apparent
chips on their shoulders in here as well?

Ouch!

Let's say a company like Microsoft came in and said "George, Scott, we'll give you x amount of dollars, we'll take over the publishing
rights for the game and pay off Take 2 to make them walk away. In return, DNF will be an Xbox exclusive release. However, you will retain
ownership of the Duke IP." 3drealms then contacted another external developer to complete the game.

That would be my guess as well. Might also explain the origins of the "IP being sold" rumor you posted (and refused to reveal sources of, I might add :( )

If this were true, I'd hope it's NOT Microsoft, as that more or less guarantees the PC version will be dropped.

Of course, all this is assuming we're not going to be waiting another 13 years, which is probably closer to the truth, actually.

User is offline   TURBOKID 

My hopes are high but only about as high as the roof of my house. Just so when they are gunned down the fall won't be so great :(

User is offline   oakman 

Sweet! The next 10 years should go by like nothing! :( ... :(

User is offline   Tetsuo 

View Postcrunchysuperman, on Jun 12 2010, 08:22 AM, said:

That would be my guess as well. Might also explain the origins of the "IP being sold" rumor you posted (and refused to reveal sources of, I might add :( )

If this were true, I'd hope it's NOT Microsoft, as that more or less guarantees the PC version will be dropped.

Of course, all this is assuming we're not going to be waiting another 13 years, which is probably closer to the truth, actually.

Sounds likely.. although they seem to me to be having renewed interest in GFWL lately and are bringing Fable III to the PC. But I wouldn't put it past them to can the PC version after seeing what they did to other games like Alan Wake. Then they would drop excuses like:

"Some games are more suited for the intimacy of the PC, and others are best played from the couch in front of a larger TV screen. We ultimately realised that the most compelling way to experience "Duke Nukem Forever" was on the Xbox 360 platform, so we focused on making it an Xbox 360 exclusive. Both Microsoft and 3D Realms have long histories in PC game development. This decision was about matching this specific game to the right platform."

Either way it would rule out versions for non-microsoft systems pretty much. So I too hope that's not the case. However I also think it's also too early to start celebrating until we get some hard facts on the settlement. My excitement hasn't changed one bit over how it has been for the past ten years and that is very cautiously optimistic. Doing otherwise I feel would be opening myself up to being burned when the game doesn't de-vaporize anytime soon. :(

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 12 June 2010 - 04:23 PM

It is interesting hearing how DNMP XBLA apparently was ported by two contractors(under the leadership of GB) instead of a 3rd party studio as such. I wonder if Scott's reference to them firing the internal team not implying the demise of the project was about 3DR working with contractors on DNF from time to time or if they really got a 3rd party studio to work on it, ala Kaiser's scenario two. Although I should add that I don't think any such studio would accept anything less than a share of the DNF revenue. I also wonder what the other 10 or so projects they are working on are, most are probably of a similar small nature as DNMP XBLA, but Scott did mention that some of them are "major"(whatever that means), something he repeated when he mentioned the several Duke games:

First off, we’ve never said that Duke Nukem Forever has ceased development. Yes, we released the internal team, but that doesn’t correlate to the demise of the project. Also, there are numerous other Duke games in various stages of development, several due out this year. We are definitely looking to branch Duke into casual gaming spaces, plus there are other major Duke games in production.
(Emphasis mine) - Scott Miller, from the first issue of the magazine Gamesauce.

Keep in mind, Duke Begins being put on hold was something that was never confirmed, it was something 3DR said they had reasons to believe in their countersuit, Take Two outright denied putting Duke Begins on hold. But even if they did, that might have changed as a result of this settlement(remember 3DR claimed that Take Two was breaking their contract by delaying Duke Begins in any way) or perhaps as a result of 3DR counter-suing them for delaying Duke Begins. Think about it, if they put Duke Begins back on track that would certainly weaken that claim in 3DR's counter-suit.

Edit:

Found the other quote I was alluding to above:

Our future is fine. We have, I think at last count, 11 or 12 projects in the works. One of them is coming out next week. Another one is coming out in about six weeks. Both of those are on the iPhone. We have some major games in production still. So we're fine. That's not an issue at all.
(Empahsis mine) - Scott Miller, August 21st, 2009(That is when the interview was posted anyway)

User is offline   3dwizard 

I had sex with these news and it felt good!

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options