• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASED] Mincer City

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

A new map by RazorZ

MSDN

DN-R

Played it today. Cool looking level, but quite mediocre gameplay. Found two secrets and three hidden switches (leaving only one switch required for revealing the 'top secret'). The 'DIPSWITCH3' button in the room with tripbombs was confusing, since it wasn't clear where to go after the explosion, so I had to enter god mode and take a look where the exploded hole leads to. The best part is imho the final location with some self-shrinking stuff; perhaps, the worst thing is a couple of dumb button-bashing locks with very predictable 101 & 1101 combinations (absolutely unnecessary imo). Also I noticed some strange texturing like elliptic car wheels and alignment problems. Otherwise, the level is quite tidy without critical gameplay flaws, still I want the outdoor location to have better visibility (a bit too hazy).

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostCraigFatman, on May 16 2010, 01:25 PM, said:

Played it today. Cool looking level, but quite mediocre gameplay. Found two secrets and three hidden switches (leaving only one switch required for revealing the 'top secret'). The 'DIPSWITCH3' button in the room with tripbombs was confusing, since it wasn't clear where to go after the explosion, so I had to enter god mode and take a look where the exploded hole leads to.

It is a cool looking level, and HUGE. I thought the gameplay was very good, but then I was playing using a mod so maybe that made it seem better.

Everyone has gotten stuck on that same part, and I wish he would add a viewscreen there to show what got blown up.

I didn't like the shrinker/timed door part near the end. The map felt like it should have ended before that, and it seemed like it belonged in a different map.

Just finished playing it ! I could copy-paste DeeperThought's comment as mine, as I too got stuck after the button and I HATED the final shrinker puzzle. I was playing with DukePlus and Advanced AI : believe me, the level is very hard even on "Lets' Rock". Also, I feel this level would be perfect for an episode finale in Attrition too.

P.S. : I found all the switches for the secret, but I couldn't figure out where the secret was after that...

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHeadless_Horseman, on May 18 2010, 02:57 PM, said:

Just finished playing it ! I could copy-paste DeeperThought's comment as mine, as I too got stuck after the button and I HATED the final shrinker puzzle. I was playing with DukePlus and Advanced AI : believe me, the level is very hard even on "Lets' Rock". Also, I feel this level would be perfect for an episode finale in Attrition too.

P.S. : I found all the switches for the secret, but I couldn't figure out where the secret was after that...

It's not fair to criticize the level for being too hard if you played it with a mod it wasn't intended for.

I can confirm that it's an excellent level to play with Attrition, though.

User is offline   Mr. Pink 

Man - I tried to get it to work using DukePlus, but didn't know the proper magic at the time (IMO, Very Hard is a compliment :( )

Really liked the level. Hard, long & liked the "find the 4 buttons" puzzle. Wish I could have played it using advanced AI. Had the same reservations about the ending shrinker puzzle. We need more levels like this (& less 'mods'/'TCs' trying to make Duke a different existing game - "red alert" lol).

Obviously lots of work went into it. Thank you RazorZ!

User is offline   Spiker 

This map is a wild goose chase. Took me 45 minutes and it was very embarasing wandering. If this map hadn't got so many positive opinions I would quit instead of playing it. There definately should be some hints where to go. I know that if you play it the second time everything seems obvious but pointless wandering is the worst flaw of all Duke maps. If this was my map I would say it's not POLISHed but in this case I have to say that it's not FINISHed. Other than that the map is great, could even be a map of the year if everthing wasn't hidden :(

View PostDeeperThought, on May 18 2010, 03:11 PM, said:

It's not fair to criticize the level for being too hard if you played it with a mod it wasn't intended for.

I only reported my experience because I thought it was useful. No real will to criticize the gameplay, as I quite enjoyed the map.

User is offline   MetHy 

Finally got around to try this map, I'll wait till I finish the map to read all the comments made on it.

I found 2 keycards and 4 buttons so far and now I'm kinda stuck. I didn't really mind though because the exploring is fun, I especially like how you can climb stuff everywhere and be rewarded for it (with items, ammo, etc) plus have a really good looking view on the whole thing. In terms of design you really found your style, since this kind of canyon-building mix wasn't done that way before you (except for Flood Zone in EP3). So it's kind of original while still feeling classic with the right ammount of details. I loved the Duke Burger up there (although I haven't been able to get in yet, if it's even possible).

I also liked how we have to go through caves, tunnels and that small alien part before going on the roof again. That whole part just felt oppressive and different enough so that it feels refreshing once we get outdoor again, and we do so by finally getting on the rooftop and get a good view, which made it even better.

However it seems that you have change the ammount of HitPoints Enforcers have and I really wonder why...

This post has been edited by MetHy: 05 August 2010 - 06:39 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMetHy, on Aug 5 2010, 07:08 AM, said:

However it seems that you have change the ammount of HitPoints Enforcers have and I really wonder why...

His CONs aren't needed, by the way. I've played it without them and everything works fine.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options