Duke4.net Forums: Installation Guide for Official Add-ons - Duke4.net Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Installation Guide for Official Add-ons  "Answers to all your expansion pack-related questions!"

Nevermind

This post has been edited by armyman12345: 24 January 2014 - 04:26 PM

User is offline   Jottle 

View Postarmyman12345, on 24 January 2014 - 04:26 PM, said:

Nevermind

I'm having an issue installing this using the svn batch files. I have the steam version of megaton, and I placed the vacation.grp in my eduke folder. Then I downloaded and ran the correct svn script to automatically download and install the Caribbean hrp. The installation of the hrp into my eduke folder runs just, and I can run the caribbean.bat with no error (everythig is patched correctly) and eduke starts up. So I see the caribbean grp in my eduke stratup window, I select it, but when I try to run Caribbean I get the following error from eduke:

CON file 'VacaEDuke.con' missing.

Any ideas?

This post has been edited by Jottle: 11 May 2014 - 03:55 PM

I've been having trouble getting Duke Caribbean: Life's A Beach to work. Here's the process I used to install it:

1. I copied and pasted all of the files and folders from my Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition CD into a folder in my C drive called "DUKE3D" (C:\DUKE3D) and ran the install.bat file in DOSBox. The only thing I chose to install was DN3D: AE (I did not select the TEN Network or the Build editor to be installed). That went off without a hitch.

2. I ran SETUP.EXE (didn't change any of the settings), then chose the option to save and launch Duke 3D. When I chose it, the game's CON files and other files were shown as being loaded, but after that it kicked me to the "Thank you for playing Duke Nukem 3D" screen (the one you'd see after quitting the game) and I was unable to play the game.

3. I copied and pasted the files (the two text files and the install.bat file) and the VACATION folder (with all of its files) from my Duke Caribbean: Life's A Beach CD into a folder called "DCLAB" in my DUKE3D folder (C:\DUKE3D\DCLAB). I created an empty folder in my C drive called "GAMER" (C:\GAMER) for the GAMER program that Sunstorm Interactive's games use.

4. I loaded DOSBox, got to the DCLAB directory in my DUKE3D folder, then ran the add-on's install.bat file and put the GAMER files into the C:\GAMER directory through the GAMER installation program. Once that was done, I "activated" Duke Caribbean: Life's A Beach and it stated that I could run the add-on by typing "carib.exe" after going into my DUKE3D folder. I loaded up DOSBox again (since I exited it after installing everything), went to my DUKE3D directory and typed in "carib.exe" to play the game, but then this message came up:

Runtime error 003 at 0000:0C88.

5. Once that happened, I noticed that the add-on's files (DEFS.NOC, GAME.NOC, USER.NOC, VACATION.PRG, and the other necessary files) were in my DUKE3D directory. I copied and pasted the NOC files and PRG file into a new folder (vacation) and renamed them "VACDEFS.CON," "VACATION.CON," "VACUSER.CON," and "VACATION.GRP". I made a batch file (VACATION.BAT) with the following written in it (which I saved in my new folder):

start eduke32.exe -gVACATION.GRP -xVACATION.CON

I copied and pasted the vacation folder itself into my EDuke32 folder (which had all of the files EDuke32 needed to work), then copied and pasted all of the files from inside of the vacation folder into my EDuke32 folder. Once all that was done, I ran the VACATION.BAT file in my EDuke32 folder (not the one in the vacation folder) with the custom game content directory option set to the vacation setting. All of the mod's graphics were present (modified enemy and weapon sprites, new loading level screen, etc.), but the weapon behavior, sound effects, and music were the same as DN3D: AE.

What steps do I take to get Duke Caribbean to work with EDuke32 by installing it through DOSBox? Is it something wrong that I'm doing when installing Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition and/or Duke Caribbean in DOSBox, a problem with DOSBox itself, or something different altogether?

- DavidTheDukeNukemDude

This post has been edited by DavidTheDukeNukemDude: 08 November 2014 - 03:56 PM

Okay, so, firstly, Hello. And now, I bought a used copy of DUKE it out in D.C. a few days ago, and just received it. I'm trying to install it via DOSBox, but, when it gets to DUKEDCPP.SSI, I get this message in debug console, I guess it is:

Warning: file M:\DUKEDC\DUKEDCPP.SSI exists and failed to open in write mode.
Please Remove write-protection.

Now, please keep in mind, this is a physical disc that I received. it does have a few scratches on the read side, but nothing that should make much difference in reading.

Also, traveling along that vein, should the disc have a blank Label? It reads in This PC as BD-ROM Drive (M:), showing as a CD-ROM with a total size of 15.5 MB.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Do you intend to play Duke DC with EDuke32, or in DOS? If you're using EDuke32, the guide is largely obsolete because you can simply copy the SSI files to where your duke3d.grp is, and EDuke32 will recognize them.

If you're using DOS, I don't have much advice because I've never used that method of installation. Based on the message you received, I would recommend copying the contents of that disc to your hard drive and trying to install it from there.

View PostHendricks266, on 06 November 2017 - 02:22 PM, said:

Do you intend to play Duke DC with EDuke32, or in DOS? If you're using EDuke32, the guide is largely obsolete because you can simply copy the SSI files to where your duke3d.grp is, and EDuke32 will recognize them.

If you're using DOS, I don't have much advice because I've never used that method of installation. Based on the message you received, I would recommend copying the contents of that disc to your hard drive and trying to install it from there.

Thanks for the reply; yeah, I'm looking to set it up in DOS. And I'll definitely do that, copying it over to the HDD. Basically, what I'm trying to do is install the add-ons alongside the GOG copy of DN3D (that isn't Megaton Edition). It works off of DOSBox, so, I wanted to set 'em up like that.

EDIT Hot diggity DOG! That did the trick. I wonder why it was having so much issue installing from the actual CD...

This post has been edited by StrangeCrunchy1: 06 November 2017 - 02:57 PM

Hello all,

I hope it is okay for me to bump this thread.

I am trying to play Duke Carribean on Eduke32. I followed the Official Add-on Installation Guide's instructions and copy-pasted the required files from my Megaton installation, but when I launched eduke32 with vacation.grp selected, I get the default main menu and Life's a Beach is not listed in the Episode selection screen. When I load vaca1.map from the User Map menu, I get an incomplete version of the map; Duke Carribean's custom sounds and music are absent, the Beach Babes are nowhere to be seen, weapons behave like their vanilla counterpart despite using the custom sprites and there are even Enforcers in the beach volleyball court now.

What did I do wrong? Is there a way to play Duke Carribean the way it was intended in Eduke32 or am I just better off just playing the addon through Megaton launcher?

Thanks in advance!

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 23 February 2019 - 09:38 AM, said:

Hello all,

I am trying to play Duke Carribean on Eduke32. I followed the Official Add-on Installation Guide's instructions and copy-pasted the required files from my Megaton installation, but when I launched eduke32 with vacation.grp selected, I get the default main menu and Life's a Beach is not listed in the Episode selection screen. When I load vaca1.map from the User Map menu, I get an incomplete version of the map; Duke Carribean's custom sounds and music are absent, the Beach Babes are nowhere to be seen, weapons behave like their vanilla counterpart despite using the custom sprites and there are even Enforcers in the beach volleyball court now.

What did I do wrong? Is there a way to play Duke Carribean the way it was intended in Eduke32 or am I just better off just playing the addon through Megaton launcher?

Thanks in advance!

life's a beach should be listed as the third episode (replaces shrapnel city), it doesn't have a different menu, but the music should be different (not grabbag)

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 23 February 2019 - 10:24 AM

User is offline   ---- 

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 23 February 2019 - 09:38 AM, said:

Hello all,

Thanks in advance!

You should start it through the delivered bat files. "Caribbean.bat" for example. They are in the "vaca_plus" folder. Just doubleclick the bat and it should start eDuke32 with fully working Caribbean mod.

Additionally you should clear all files that contain the word "cache" if you used that installation before for other mods (Don't know if it is necessary, but it doesn't hurt. At least for it helped when the DC installation didn't work. But that is installed and played in a different way anyways).

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 23 February 2019 - 10:31 AM

Where is Carribean.bat located?

• Weaponized Autism

Caribbean.bat is part of my Vaca+ mod. An older version of this guide that predates Megaton recommended it as the most convenient way to play. If Duke Caribbean shows in the EDuke32 startup window, you have what you need. If the Life's a Beach episode is not showing, try clearing any loose CON files out of your Duke 3D folder.

Okay, thanks! I got it working.

I tried doing the same with Duke It Out in DC, but so far, I have only be able to access it through the User Map menu. Am I doing this right?

• Weaponized Autism

Make sure you don't have a loose USER.CON somewhere that is shadowing the one inside dukedc.grp.

Searching my GOG/Duke Nukem 3D directory for USER.CON files, I got four results: one in the main directory, one (and a USER2.CON) in my \duke64 subdirectory an a dc_user.con in \dc_hrp.script.

Deleting the first one causes Duke It Out In DC to replace the Shrapnel City episode when I launch Eduke32 with dukedc.grp and dc_hrp selected as "game" and "Custom game content directory", respectively.

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 23 February 2019 - 12:14 PM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Note that you will need the Duke3D HRP as well since the one for DC is requiring it. I am not sure if it works if the HRPs are in different directories, but if one is in autoload and the other in custom content, I guess it should be enough.

I did not realise that HRP stood for High Resolution Project. So I do not need to have "dc_hrp" selected as custom game content directory, huh?

Anyway, I went to Duke Nukem Wiki and it says that Duke It Out In DC is indeed supposed to be replacing Shrapnel City. I am also reading that Jimmy Paddock made a custom soundtrack for it. Neat!

View PostNightFright, on 23 February 2019 - 11:46 AM, said:

Note that you will need the Duke3D HRP as well since the one for DC is requiring it. I am not sure if it works if the HRPs are in different directories, but if one is in autoload and the other in custom content, I guess it should be enough.

Question: is there a way to play Duke 3D with the high-res textures but without the 3d models? After following the add-on installation instructions, I found myself enjoying the high-res skyboxes, but I was not pleased with the map results screen flickering back and forth between vanilla and high-res, so I tried installing HRP, thinking it would just make all sprites and texture high-res. To my displeasure, it also replaces sprites with 3D models, which I honestly do not like (no offense).

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 26 February 2019 - 09:22 AM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 26 February 2019 - 09:10 AM, said:

Question: is there a way to play Duke 3D with the high-res textures but without the 3d models? After following the add-on installation instructions, I found myself enjoying the high-res skyboxes, but I was not pleased with the map results screen flickering back and forth between vanilla and high-res, so I tried installing HRP, thinking it would just make all sprites and texture high-res. To my displeasure, it also replaces sprites with 3D models, which I honestly do not like (no offense).

You can turn models off in the Eduke32 menus. Just fish around in the display settings and you'll find it.

Thanks. However, ever since installing HRP, I no longer get DukeDC's unique splash screen nor Jimmy's custom soundtrack. What did I do wrong?

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 27 February 2019 - 02:42 PM

User is offline   Avenger 

Is there a way to load GRP/CON files with eduke32 that are located in a different folder then the eduke32 directory?

I have tried batch files/shortcuts/"custom game content directory" but 9 times out of 10 the expansion/addon does not load properly and when the game starts there's missing overlays/assets/music/sounds etc.

The problem I am having is that I have so many addons that my eduke32 folder is rather cluttered and I would like to seperate these files into individual folders for organization.

How does eduke32 find external addons installed through steam in a different folder?

Cheers.

User is offline   zirkoni 

View PostAvenger, on 08 July 2019 - 01:08 AM, said:

Is there a way to load GRP/CON files with eduke32 that are located in a different folder then the eduke32 directory?

EDuke32 Command line options
The options accept paths. Example batch file with relative paths:
start eduke32\eduke32.exe -gAtomic_Edition\duke3d.grp -gWinter\nwinter.grp -xWinter\nwinter.con -cfg winter\eduke32.cfg

This post has been edited by zirkoni: 14 July 2019 - 12:20 AM

View PostLunick, on Jun 8 2010, 05:12 AM, said:

Duke Xtreme:
First You need to find the folder DKXTRM and copy that to the same directory where eduke is, Then In Pack14 you will find 3 ConFiles, copy them to to where eduke is again. Then Rename each confile so that DKEXDEFS.CON is now DN3DDEFS.CON, DKEXGAME.CON is now GAME.CON and DKEXUSER.CON is now DN3DUSER.CON. Then Use a Bat file
eduke32.exe -jDKXTRM\PACK14 -jDKXTRM\SPMAPS -jDKXTRM\DMMAPS -cfg dkxtrm.cfg
That should hopefully work

Another way is to make a grp file with all the files in DKXTRM\PACK14 without renaming
anything. This program from ProAsm is a good one to make grp files.
http://www.proasm.com/files/XGroup.zip
eduke32.exe -gdkxtrm.grp -cfg dkxtrm.cfg

i did duke zone 2 and duke extreme just with this
E:\eduke32\eduke32.exe -nosetup -jdz2 -g DUKE!ZON.GRP
E:\eduke32\eduke32.exe -nosetup -jDKXTRM -gamegrp "duke3d.grp"

User is offline   Master O 

I figured this was a good place to put this link, given Duke3D's expansion packs are sold here:

https://www.zoom-pla...-atomic-edition

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options