Duke4.net Forums: Thirteen Years Later - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Thirteen Years Later  "Let's get nostalgic."

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

So thirteen years ago, 1997, Duke Nukem Forever was announced. From Quake 1-Quake 2-Unreal-Unreal 2. New faces coming and going from 3D Realms over the years. Talk of a Duke Nukem movie from 1999 to 2002, the release of various third party games. All the things that have gone on in the world around our little community. All the people who have been born, died, wars that have been fought, discoveries, products and celebrities that have come and gone. All the horrible and all the wonderful that is over a decade worth of time.

Where were you thirteen years ago? As a person, I mean. Did you have a job? Were you a kid or an adult?

I was an angst-filled pre-teen in 1997. I didnt hear about Duke Forever until about 2001-2002, when I first gained access to the internets on a 56K modem. I remember seeing the pictures of Duke Forever at that point, the dam and the EDF soldier with the tentacles coming out of him. That blew my mind. Looked so real. Before that, I was a console-kiddie. I played Duke Nukem 64, Duke Nukem Time to Kill, and Duke Nukem Zero Hour over and over. Used to draw lots of pencil pictures and "comics" based around Duke. They were bad, ohh God were they bad. I still have a few of them. Had a few of the Duke Nukem figures by Resaurus. The only one to survive the horrors of childhood playtime is, ironically, Duke Nukem.

Now, i'm a young adult filled with a lot of nostalgia for my formative years. I often find myself missing the simplicity of those days. Especially back when the 3D Realms community was kicking. Man that was so cool, it made such an impression upon me to see so many people from so many different places coming together to talk about something they love. Forget politics and all that, here everybody was, just agreeing to enjoy the one thing together. Here's hoping that 2010 will see the reenergising of the Duke Nukem community the likes of which it has not seen in years.

Of course the question that always comes up at this point is... Do you still believe Duke Nukem Forever will see the light of day? I think it has to, and I think it would have by now if Take 2 hadn't done this.

We'll see it someday.

User is offline   Evil Ash 

Thirteen years ago I was 11, and believe it or not I was ALL over Duke Nukem. I first played Duke Nukem 3D when I was 9-10, basically when it come out. My dad bought it and installed it on our two networked PCs, and of course he turned on the Content filter! I had a friend over ASAP to play it LAN with me, before even delving into single player. Within like a month I figured out the adult content password and away I went into the realm of guts and strippers at a delicate 10 years old.

I remember figuring out there was a MAP EDITOR and learning how to use it. My first map was called VIRUS and was a giant zig zag mess of sectors textured with like the atomic health on walls and glass on floors. Didn't know zip about masks or SE or tags or anything, haha.

I honestly can't remember when I first heard the announcement for DNF. I remember after Duke3D I got Shadow Warrior and Blood for Christmas/birthday whenever they became available. Hooked on those. Went into Unreal, Quake, Quake 2... eventually I got hooked on Quake III Arena. No concept of time anymore, haha. My memory not so good.

All I remember is seeing those screenshots you mentioned, with the tentacles and that old prospector cowboy lookin dude.

Actually I think I purchased Manhattan Project and it came with that trailer - I remember that vividly...

Well anyways going into a rant. I'm still in love with BUILD engine games, but I have a passion for modern as well. Ever since Blood, my favourite developer has actually been Monolith.

Anyways good thread.

User is offline   ultra tree 85! 

• Honored Donor

View PostCommando Nukem, on Apr 28 2010, 03:38 PM, said:

Where were you thirteen years ago? As a person, I mean. Did you have a job? Were you a kid or an adult?

I was a fairly young kid, and I didn't have much of anything to worry about, except for school, and Duke Nukem. :D

When I first played Duke Nukem 3D, I immediately realized that this was a character unlike any other that I had seen, and that I would have a very special relationship with him from that point forward. I played every Duke game I could get my hands on, such as Duke It Out In DC, Zero Hour, Time To Kill, Duke Advance, Manhattan Project, and many others from the nineties to the early 2000's. Due to my lack of an internet connection, my first experience with Duke Nukem Forever was in 2002, when I saw a message at the end of the Manhattan Project credits that said something like, "Look for Duke Nukem next in Duke Nukem Forever." I was excited to obtain more information on Forever, and after getting the internet in 2003, I became more and more familiar with the DNF history, until by early 2005 I was pretty much up to speed on everything and I was actively lurking on the 3D Realms forums. I also began collecting the rest of the Duke games that I hadn't played at that point, including the obscure ones like the Tiger Grip Game, etc, in order to strengthen my understanding of the total history and experience of Duke. Ever since then, DNF has been a major part of my everyday existence as the primary Duke Nukem game that I am anticipating, and I've made playing DNF my most important life goal. :P

The community has been fantastic and I've had a great time enjoying all of the adventures that we've had over the years. :D People have eaten their underwear, speculated on the awesome features and locations of DNF, seen exciting teaser trailers and screenshots, and more. The only things that I wish had gone differently are the banning of community members on 3D Realms, and 3D Realms' lack of openness with its own fans, which was a problem even before the lawsuit. These things aren't flaws in the community itself, of course, but just unfair things that the community has had to deal with.

Of course the question that always comes up at this point is... Do you still believe Duke Nukem Forever will see the light of day?

Yes. I'm certain based on Scott's comments and other evidence that it's being prepared for release even now.

I think it has to, and I think it would have by now if Take 2 hadn't done this.
We'll see it someday.

I completely agree. The game is closer to completion than ever before, and there's no way it would be allowed to go to waste. I also agree that had Take 2 not destroyed the 3D Realms internal development studio by withholding the agreed upon funding, we'd be going out to buy the game right about now. At this point, I just want to know more information about who is helping 3D Realms finish the game. I think we'll know soon enough, though. DNF's triumphant release is nearing. :D

The naysayers who tell others to move on with their lives don't understand the spirit of Duke, and they're ultimately lying to themselves, because they know deep down that they will rush frantically to the store the moment DNF comes out. :D

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Gosh I hope I still have a life considering I read through all that :D

In 1997 I was either 3 or 4, depending on the month, and I think I'd played the Duke Nukem 2 demo, and thought it was awesome. I'm only finally playing the full version now. It was only about 2 years ago that I found out about Duke Nukem 3D, and I was like "oh, Duke got a new game, good for him :P" so I got the demo of that and loved it! Ironically, I'd installed the HRP but my computer could only support 8 bit at the time (though I've got a good rig now), so I always played in 8 bit thinking it was the HRP, and I was like "Geez, I'd hate to think what it was like before the HRP came out..." :D

And I also only found out about DNF 2 years ago as well, so my hope hasn't been worn down by 13 years of letdowns and I still strongly believe DNF will come out soon :D

User is offline   Sir Tobbii 

I was six years old playing DN3D and Doom II. I still remember reading about DNF the very first time. It was in the swedish PC Gamer, who later kept on joking every second issue or so about delays and it never coming out even as far back as the early 2000's.

User is offline   crunchysuperman 

• Honored Donor

I was 26 and had only recently gotten into PC gaming (I'd been a Commodore & Atari nut most of my life). I've since been married & divorced, moved a couple of times and seen friends come & go.

My interest in gaming has really waned in recent years (too much consolitis for me, but that's another topic). Save a few exceptions, all I find myself playing these days are older games. Kinda fitting that my PC gaming days began with DNF's birth and seem to be dying along with it. Just as well I suppose, as there's no way I won't be massively disappointed with it, should it ever actually emerge. Of course, if that day ever comes, I'd say there's a reasonable chance it wouldn't affect me anyway, being the console-only title that it will probably end up being.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

A friend of mine introduced me to Duke via the demo. We played through on co-op and I was hooked. I remember waiting with baited breath for the whole thing to come out. My interest in Duke got me into game model production and learning 3D.

I remember seeing a copy of a gaming magazine with the shot of the Hummer in the canyon and I thought "Real cars? Wow!!!!" After all the delays and restarts, I really thought that we were never going to see it come out. It was only when the latest teaser was released that I started to think that it might actually get released. THEN I got excited again. When 3DRealms was shut down, it was like hearing that an old friend had died.

I'd like to think that we will see DNF some day, hopefully soon. I just don't think that people bitching about in the forum (and making themselves look like arseholes) is the way to hasten the day. Similarly, turning up here every day and asking "Is it here yet?!?!?!?" is just as stupid. It's like a kid constantly asking "Are we there yet?" when the car has 4 flats and a busted carburettor.

User is offline   ThePinkus 

I was seven, and I can remember playing Duke64 Coop with one of my older brothers.

A few years later, we all moved to Vegas, and thats when I first heard of DNF and I nearly shit myself. My brother showed me those 2001 screenshots, and even made the one with the EDF soldier getting tentacle raped his wallpaper and wouldn't change it until DNF came out (thank god he got a new computer later on, right?)

I was in elementary school when I played Duke64; now, I'm starting college for game design after taking several years off school to get all my priorities and life straightened out. I may not have much to show, but I hate that its more than I can say for DNF

View PostCommando Nukem, on Apr 28 2010, 02:38 PM, said:

So thirteen years ago, 1997, Duke Nukem Forever was announced. From Quake 1-Quake 2-Unreal-Unreal 2. New faces coming and going from 3D Realms over the years. Talk of a Duke Nukem movie from 1999 to 2002, the release of various third party games. All the things that have gone on in the world around our little community. All the people who have been born, died, wars that have been fought, discoveries, products and celebrities that have come and gone. All the horrible and all the wonderful that is over a decade worth of time.

I was an angst-filled pre-teen in 1997. I didnt hear about Duke Forever until about 2001-2002, when I first gained access to the internets on a 56K modem. I remember seeing the pictures of Duke Forever at that point, the dam and the EDF soldier with the tentacles coming out of him. That blew my mind. Looked so real. Before that, I was a console-kiddie. I played Duke Nukem 64, Duke Nukem Time to Kill, and Duke Nukem Zero Hour over and over. Used to draw lots of pencil pictures and "comics" based around Duke. They were bad, ohh God were they bad. I still have a few of them. Had a few of the Duke Nukem figures by Resaurus. The only one to survive the horrors of childhood playtime is, ironically, Duke Nukem.

Now, i'm a young adult filled with a lot of nostalgia for my formative years. I often find myself missing the simplicity of those days. Especially back when the 3D Realms community was kicking. Man that was so cool, it made such an impression upon me to see so many people from so many different places coming together to talk about something they love. Forget politics and all that, here everybody was, just agreeing to enjoy the one thing together. Here's hoping that 2010 will see the reenergising of the Duke Nukem community the likes of which it has not seen in years.

Of course the question that always comes up at this point is... Do you still believe Duke Nukem Forever will see the light of day? I think it has to, and I think it would have by now if Take 2 hadn't done this.

We'll see it someday.

I think it WILL be released in some way.
BTW its GREAT to be back!!!!!

User is offline   Tetsuo 

In 1997 I was about 18 and still in high school. I first discovered Duke by finding the shareware edition at my local Software ETC. (now know as gamestop). I had no idea it would become as popular as it became. I was just impressed by the screenshots on the back of the box. Around this time it was also the first time I could afford to get me a brand new computer so I had something that I could play it on as well as other new games such as Quake, Blood, etc. I really liked how the retail full version of Duke3D came with a mousepad of the title screen.

At this time I never downloaded anything from the internet because it wasn't really available to me at home. I mostly got game demos from PC Gamer's demo discs since I had a subscription to it back then. Around this time was also when I first got me a 3D accelerator card (3Dfx Voodoo1) but of course Duke3D didn't take advantage of it. That's one reason why I like ports such as eDuke32. While the gameplay was very competitive to other titles in Duke3D it wasn't competitive technology-wise to games like GLQuake IMHO. Now with the high res pack, 3D models, etc. it finally surpasses Quake in most ways.... although I still have nostalgia for it and other titles which I have all installed on my computer and play from time to time.

I've given up hope that Duke Nukem Forever is ever going to come out. I have pretty much filed it with other vaporware that would have been awesome if it came out such as Color Dream's Hellraiser game for the NES. They where even working on a PC version since the NES cart was going to be prohibitably expensive but it too never saw the light of day. All we have of those types of titles are screenshots\other media and longing for what might have been.

User is offline   lehua011 

I honestly can't remember when I first heard the announcement for DNF. I remember after Duke3D I got Shadow Warrior and Blood for Christmas/birthday whenever they became available. Hooked on those. Went into Unreal, Quake, Quake 2... eventually I got hooked on Quake III Arena. No concept of time anymore, haha. My memory not so good.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options