I'm working on my new mod Trequonia  "(latest mod in progress).,.,.."

User is offline   Zaxtor 

It will be a 1EP 14 levels mod.
The player will not be a fossa but a wolverine :P

Posted Image The player

Posted Image

Posted Image
Brief plot about this mod/tc..
It was a peaceful planet, an artificially made planet.
But due to its extreme peace it had very lack of security and law enforcements, so later the planet got invaded by space pirates and evil aliens. A young Pantheist wolverine named Skyhv Knawvkiov who live in harmony with nature at the ANWR (Arctic National Wildlife Refuge) have heard the disturbing news that the artificial planet orbiting Earth had some serious problem that could in long terms threaten Earth and his home land "ANWR" in Alaska. So he must go up there and destroy Trequonia.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Now the first shots of this mod (lv1)
It contain some very neat trick, (probably rarely done cus is new and unfamiliar)... As I known of.!

LV1 is the ANWR (Arctic National Wildlife Refuge)

Pic1; The beginning of the first level including the frozen waterfall etc, Btw those small brushes you walk through them they do not block.
Pic2; More trees and snow.
Pic3; Very neat (diagonal) frozen water semi-transparent, It aint no hoax is a sector trick.
Pic4; Diff view of the frozen water, you can see herb and rocks in it.
Pic5; Another view of the frozen water.
Pic6; Pine trees with the grass a bit visible.
Pic7; Frozen ammos and items.
Pic8; Another semi-transparent ice.
Posted Image

User is offline   Jinroh 

Looks cool. :P Haven't seen too many Anthropomorphic mods around like anywhere (except Second Life, but I'm not gonna go there.) Sounds like an interestingly green story.

From the sounds of it Sarah Palin (no offense to her or any supporters) will be the final boss. :D It's also nice to see that Hugh Jackman has found work these days even if it's just in the form of Duke Mods. Hehe. I kid, I kid.

Sounds cool though, I wanna see how it progresses.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Jinroh: 27 April 2010 - 01:24 AM

User is offline   Cage 

Looks interesting, I think that snowy locations in usermaps or tc's were kinda rare, so it's nice to see some :P How do you get the frozen items? Flamethrower? Or you just can smash them?

Is this a classic mode TC, or for polymost/polymer? If for the second one, you could add some white fog to the area to enchance the winter atmosphere

I'd also get rid of the orginal duke trees, they look bland and don't fit with the rest

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Duke trees were modified.
There are all kind of trees.

Sarah Palin doesn't exist in this parallel universe.

In our universe and on Earth ape evolved to man and dominated Earth.
But in this universe and on the "Earth" wolverines evolved to bipedal wolverine and dominated Earth.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

PS
Wolverine evolved :D :P :D

Posted Image

User is offline   Sobek 

• There's coffee in that nebula!

I love the visual style. Cold frosty winter maps are always fun, and you've got a nack for detail so I'm curious to see what you come up with. I take it there'll be a snowstorm somewhere? I love games with snowstorms.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Snowstorms can be very, very complex.

1, with sectors with an animated snow mask can cause a tremendous amount of lag also be very sector hungry.

2, In sprites could cause similar effect.

3, dunno

User is offline   Sobek 

View PostZaxtor, on Apr 28 2010, 01:21 PM, said:

1, with sectors with an animated snow mask can cause a tremendous amount of lag also be very sector hungry.

3, dunno

Hmm, I see. I figured maybe you could do something else... I'm pretty sure this is possible (someone mentioned it to me at one stage), but what about just creating a model that's always attached to the player and just stays with you as you walk around, that uses a texture of snow falling?

Or perhaps you could do the same with some sprites or something. The trick is to just make them follow the player around as he moves, but not move with the player's view. Does that makes sense? Basically form a box of sprites around the player that moves with him, but always faces one direction (so it won't turn with the player's view, as that would look weird).

I can't remember who it was (probably DeeperThought) but someone I was chatting to some time back mentioned something like this was possible. I did up a quick test video showing what it would look like if you just used 4 or 5 low resolution animated snowing textures placed around the player. It's not perfect, but it shows that with barely any sprites or models at all, you can create a pretty convincing wall of falling snow. I didn't move in the video because I didn't put much time into the setup of the area, so there's not much else behind me in it :D ;

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=GnnNqWK4XUU (It's HD too by the way)

Now imagine if that snow falling effect could move with the player... It'd be perfect. I don't know how hard it would be to code or if you could do that yourself but, it was just a thought. With some tweaking, the right textures and the right amount of sprites or models, you could create a realistic but performance friendly snowfall effect :P

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Also my level is very, very huge, (big opened land) with tons of trees, with that snow sector thingie like ur vid, level wont survive this :X
Is less problematic if your inside a building (you don't exit it) and the windows have snowstorms animation.

As for the sprite attached to a player there can be some adverse effects,
If you enter a building, if you move, look up and down the snow will follow u etc.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostZaxtor, on Apr 28 2010, 12:53 AM, said:

As for the sprite attached to a player there can be some adverse effects,
If you enter a building, if you move, look up and down the snow will follow u etc.

Not really, you could easily make the effect work only in sectors with certain tags.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

That is possible but the UP and down is a concern : - D

User is offline   Sobek 

View PostZaxtor, on Apr 28 2010, 08:34 PM, said:

That is possible but the UP and down is a concern : - D

Hmm, yes I suppose that it following you while looking up / down is somewhat of a big issue. Not sure what could be done about that.

It's no big deal. Your mod - your choice... I just think that if there's any way you can do something like this, it would work wonders for the atmosphere of some of your levels :P

User is offline   SwissCm 

hahaha geez

View PostZaxtor, on Apr 28 2010, 06:51 AM, said:

3, dunno

3, you can try using myospal and similar commands to draw some snow directly onscreen (falling nearby).

User is offline   Jinroh 

Just noticed now, but your translucent ice looks quite nice. :P

I like the winter theme as well, will there be any like Pipeline or Pump Station battles along the way or have this alternate universe evolved beyond the use of oil?

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Aliens that raided the artificial planet also came to Earth and started building bases, camping and exploiting resources etc.

User is offline   Jinroh 

Nice, so that's probably a yes. :P

User is offline   Zaxtor 

More shotz

Pic1; Forest and more forest with tall mountains.
Pic2; Frozen river a bit more complex than the other one, parts that goes under the ground.
Pic3; Frozen waterfall with a tunnel underneath it.
Pic4; More forest.
Pic5; Small underground base.
Pic6; We can see the inside of it from the top.
Pic7; More view of the inside.
Posted Image

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Last load for this level.

Pic1; Topview of the semi transparent frozen river (big one)
Pic2; Biggest patch of forest (black spot) is the shield generator.
Pic3; The shield generator which operates on pure hydrogen.
Pic4; Shield A, *v
Pic5; Shield B, *they can only be destroyed when shield generator is destroyed.
Pic6; The base to head to destroy the shield generator by the CPU.
Pic7; Helicopter landing building.
Pic8; Diff view of the building and ofcourse more forests.
Pic9; More forest and a cave.
PicA; Inside the landing building of the base.
PicB; Nice view from the inside.
Posted Image

User is offline   Sobek 

Cripes that's a lot of trees! :(

Nice! Brings back memories when I build my snow-themed SST TC map (The first map I finished ever BTW)... but I digress, sorry :(

I was honestly a bit underwhelmed by your underground base you posted pics of. However, the new base you're showing more than makes up for it. Impressive structures...do you use some sector-over-sector hack. Because some of the stuff clearly would not work without it, as far as I can see (referring to the Helipad pic).

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Level 1 is finished.
Now I will start the next level and post pix shortly.

Also musics wont be midi(mid) based, it will be Oggy based :(
.ogg files.

I tested and it works, soo cool. + added few high res sprites and textures in model/duke.def
This mod when is finished in the future is better playing it in 32 bit mode if you want those cool things etc.

So the mod progress is around :
Levels : 7.14% done
Textures : ??% done
Sounds : 80s% done
Musics : 90s% done
others : 10-20%? done

This post has been edited by Zaxtor: 29 May 2010 - 08:56 PM

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Shots of Level 2 (level that we head toward the launching bay etc).

Pic 1; Cave that we start (end of LV1).
Pic 2; mountain with trees and forest etc.
Pic 3; fairly big forest with a road.
Pic 4; other side of the forest, few trees and an enormous frozen lake.
Pic 5; we can see through the ice.
Pic 6; deepest part of the lake which water is unfrozen and we can see seaweed, corals small sea plants etc.
Pic 7; different position of the lake and a mountain etc.
Pic 8; other view of the deepest part of the lake.
Pic 9; lesser deep part of the lake and of course more trees :( .
Posted Image

User is offline   Zaxtor 

From The Commander's request I replaced those palm trees by a more winter friendlier trees.
I found a tree with similar shape accept are not a palm trees of course.
Modified its branch to match the existing branch.

Posted Image

Looks nice! But.. is that a model, or are sloped sprites now possible Oo (have I overseen this?!) (the last 2 pics)

Posted Image

This post has been edited by BrOiler1985: 01 June 2010 - 09:22 PM

I think it's a mere ROR effect with a masked floor... still I bet it won't work in software mode (no sloped masks support).

This post has been edited by CraigFatman: 01 June 2010 - 10:09 PM

User is offline   Zaxtor 

No masked floor, no hax and no photoshop trix.

Its the use of the famous SE40 and also SE46 works with SE40.

Only works in 32bits mode. which this mod works better in 32bits mode.

This post has been edited by Zaxtor: 01 June 2010 - 11:34 PM

Oh yeah ok :( Thanks for explaining ^^

User is offline   king karl 

can we expect thsi to be as bizzare as oblivion was at some points? cuz if so ima love this

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Might have some weird stuff.

Since is an 1 episode mod.

I might make other episode for deathmatches

E1 death match
E2 (redirect to death match) some death match level may contain weird levels, space etc.
E3 (redirect to the game TREQUONIA)
E4 Trequonia

Also I went deeper in Duke3d.def and hybridize my mod.
Low color textures such as those grill and grey tile (metal tile) been replaced by HRP version.
took soo many hours to do that.

Heres few screenies for explaination.

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options