Duke4.net Forums: CRUISE CONTROL - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

CRUISE CONTROL  "My half finished map, just looking for some critique..."

User is offline   quiksteven 

I just want some of you guys to try out my map and see what you think so far.

It isn't finished, but i'd appreciate some feedback so i can change bits now, rather than later.

I know there are some things i need to fix within the rooms which have been completed, but want to see if anyone notices them / others.

Anyway, the map link: Attached File  CRUISE_CONTROL.zip (50.75K)
Number of downloads: 470

Let me know what you think, how ever harsh (ive seen gambini's map, i know what CAN be done, im just to lazy)

quik

maybe i should have mentioned already, you need dukeplus to run it :P

Preferably the latest edition too, as it includes colour transitions.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

It plays pretty well but you've got still a lot of work ahead if you want to make it look good. I liked the car ride but the fence sprites break the illusion of a moving car so I'd get rid of them. Also, don't tell me you're gonna keep that forcesphere in the map?

User is offline   Spiker 

That's a pretty good start.

Okay, my two cents:

-The car ride is REALLY cool. The first time, I didn't know what to do, so I just crashed into my death. However, no need to fix as the the open door makes it pretty clear what to do. And yeah, delete the fence. It breaks the illusion and honestly doesn't even look good. Perhaps making a sector-based substitute?

-I found the map frustratingly hard. The weaponless fight against the Pig Cop at the beginning was a nice challenge and realistic, too. However, remove that pimped red lizard trooper in the observation room! He's just insanely hard to kill, I pumped two or three rockets into him until he finally died (I saw no other way than to use DNSTUFF at this point.).

-I know the outside area is probably a "heavy WIP" area, but don't forget to make the glass of the truck's windshield breakable. Otherwise, it would be unfair because the Enforcer in it can still hurt you from inside.

-Yeah, was puzzled about that forcesphere, too.

-I like your building style. It's not very detailed, but you manage to pull off your locations and make them look good (liked the control point). In the long run, this building style will probably serve you better than mine did to me :P Thus, you will be able make maps with a good playtime while also making them look good. The prison looks and feels realistic. Anything that needs improvement (like lighting) I assume is because it's not finished.

Looking forward to your next version!

This post has been edited by SalaciusCrumb: 23 April 2010 - 06:05 AM

thanks for the response guys!

@Mikko_Sandt

i'll get rid of that fence straight away, was bugging me too!

and no, the forcesphere isnt staying, was just mucking about with it (forgot i left it in :D )

@Spiker

Thank you :P

@SalaciusCrumb

thank you for your detail dude!

any ideas on the sector based substitute for the fence?

I know what you mean about that liztroop, i couldn't figure out why he's so tough! lol once you leave the police station though you have LOADS of ammo. enough for me to ease off ammo for awhile at least.

not too sure what you mean by heavy WIP, but i will change that to breakable glass.

as for my 'build' style, its kinda set cause i use to make maps years ago. im adding in some sprite work, but it takes so long! I like the classic style of duke maps!

oh and the lights...... i use a laptop so i cant use polymer, so im afraid to everyone my lights wont be amazing. although i wish i had made the police station darker now, but its too late! the rest of the map will have darker areas with some good lighting (i hope)

@everyone who tried it so far

Hope you found the secrets :D

thanx again guys! anymore comments would be great!

quik

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

I haven't looked at the map, but for the fence, couldn't it just be placed on a conveyor?

View PostMblackwell, on Apr 24 2010, 12:00 AM, said:

I haven't looked at the map, but for the fence, couldn't it just be placed on a conveyor?

good point! lol i did it with a masked wall originally. wouldnt be to hard to put sprites in, but would take a long time ( big road )

User is offline   necroslut 

I love it! Very much a map in my taste. Sure, some more lighting wouldn't hurt, but I don't think it's required either. The map looks good as it is.
What other maps have you made?

View Postnecroslut, on Apr 24 2010, 12:49 AM, said:

I love it! Very much a map in my taste. Sure, some more lighting wouldn't hurt, but I don't think it's required either. The map looks good as it is.
What other maps have you made?

thank you :P this is my only map at the moment! lol used to make them, but must have ended up in the recycle bin long ago.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options