Duke4.net Forums: DUKE NUKEM TRIBUTE: The game - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DUKE NUKEM TRIBUTE: The game

User is offline   TURBOKID 

Ok let's start of by explaining what this is and what i need from you (The community).
This is an adventure game where you play as Dukes biggest fan (The girl in the -tribute- poster)
The story goes like this, DNF gets a release date. 1st April 2014. Why this date? Because it is a few years away but not in the flying car type future. This means there is 4 years for all sorts of stuff to happen to the world. There is a new alien race that are out to rule planet earth and attempt to do so by stealing the DNF shipments. The point in this plan is that for as long as anyone can remember the Duke has been the only protection against invasion. By stealing the shipments the aliens hope to bring down the moral of the planet and lose faith in Duke. The alien race thrives on misery so the get more powerful as they drain the hopes and dreams from the people of earth.
The character you play as (Roxy Rocket) must solve the mystery of the stolen DNF shipments and deliver them to the fans before it is to late and all hope is lost.
That is pretty much it in a nutshell. This will be a story driven game. If you don't like stories you may not like this.
I need YOU. Yes all of you, i want any help you can offer. For starters i would like to ask Sir Tobbii for permission to you his DNF box art for the textures of the game boxes. I would also like to add that "3DR will shut you down dont bother" comments will be ignored. If things get ugly then i will take full responsibilities for the game.

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostDISRUPTOR, on Apr 22 2010, 02:35 PM, said:

"3DR will shut you down dont bother"

Assuming the intent is to make this as a mod for Duke Nukem 3D. Why would they do that exactly?

View PostCommando Nukem, on Apr 22 2010, 06:24 PM, said:

Assuming the intent is to make this as a mod for Duke Nukem 3D. Why would they do that exactly?

It isn't. And either way, they can't stop me making it, what are they going to do fly all the way out here and watch me 24/7 in case i try to make it? XD

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostDISRUPTOR, on Apr 22 2010, 07:14 PM, said:

It isn't.

Ah, in that case...

View PostDISRUPTOR, on Apr 22 2010, 07:14 PM, said:

they can't stop me making it,

Yes, you see... They can.

You see that TM next to Duke Nukem? That means trademarked. That means you'll get the shit sued out of you.

EDIT, Addendum: I know you said you'd ignore these posts. I dont get why you would start from scratch when you have a community right here with Duke 3D that can help you put together something great through EDUKE32.

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 22 April 2010 - 06:33 PM

View PostCommando Nukem, on Apr 22 2010, 06:31 PM, said:

Ah, in that case...

Yes, you see... They can.

You see that TM next to Duke Nukem? That means trademarked. That means you'll get the shit sued out of you.

EDIT, Addendum: I know you said you'd ignore these posts. I dont get why you would start from scratch when you have a community right here with Duke 3D that can help you put together something great through EDUKE32.

Because that means weapons would need to be redone, enemies redone, replacements maps, replacement cut scenes replace the sounds and music and change the layout of the HUD. Also alot more cut scenes would be needed. You see where i am in a pickle? Eduke was my first choice but let's face it, if i could do all of that i would have done it long ago.
Either way i am sure other duke games exist, i for one have two duke games i made for the psp (More of an interactive story rather) And 3DR are welcome to try and sue me but they won't get anything. Can't take what one does not have after all.
But i understand why people would be cautious about joining me.

User is offline   Spiker 

Yawns.

Another idea thread that is going to die as fast as it was invented.

View PostSpiker, on Apr 23 2010, 04:02 AM, said:

Yawns.

Another idea thread that is going to die as fast as it was invented.

Actually before you start making smart arse comments, i do believe that me playing it as i type this takes it out of the "Idea" stage and into early development :P

User is offline   Spiker 

So called preprepreprepre-alpha stage? :P

So what you have? one poster? Heh

User is offline   Jinroh 

Go For It DISRUPTOR I'm pulling for your fangame. :P

"You Gotta believe!"
Posted Image

Similar game already proposed.
and gee willikers! - we get the same responses.

http://forums.duke4....?showtopic=1578

My suggestion, don't ask these guys here for help, they are stuck on eduke mod only, anything else they bash into the ground.

As far as getting sued, as long as you are not making $$ of it f'em.
Apparently 3Drealms can't afford a webmaster for site updates, I don't think they can afford to sue you.

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View Postcanada4duke, on Apr 23 2010, 12:48 PM, said:

Similar game already proposed.
and gee willikers! - we get the same responses.

Yeah, its because some of us have experienced the pain of being shut down and are trying to help you avoid the same grief. But its always the same. We're just negative, we're just criticising for no reason. We're just a bunch of dick heads. Thats TOTALLY why some of us "crash your party."

No, we do it because we would rather see guys who have ideas putting their efforts into something that will not result in a lot of grief when the CnD comes.

View Postcanada4duke, on Apr 23 2010, 12:48 PM, said:

As far as getting sued, as long as you are not making $$ of it f'em.
Apparently 3Drealms can't afford a webmaster for site updates, I don't think they can afford to sue you.

Sure they can. They laid off the team to avoid running out of money entirely. They can afford to send you a warning.

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 24 April 2010 - 10:49 AM

User is offline   Postal 

Dammit i just lost the game .
Also just make it into a mod for DN3D

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostPostal, on Apr 25 2010, 05:15 AM, said:

Dammit i just lost the game .

When I first saw this thread I thought the exact same thing :P

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Well okay there might be a work around legally speaking.

After thinking about what your initial concept is. Roxy Rocket saving the DNF shipment.

Why not call it that? Roxy Rocket : Save DNF.

If its really about her, and the Duke Nukem element is more of a satirical story element, you'd be in no direct danger of legal action. It would be satire/parody at that point.

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 24 April 2010 - 09:06 PM

View PostCommando Nukem, on Apr 24 2010, 10:05 PM, said:

Well okay there might be a work around legally speaking.

After thinking about what your initial concept is. Roxy Rocket saving the DNF shipment.

Why not call it that? Roxy Rocket : Save DNF.

If its really about her, and the Duke Nukem element is more of a satirical story element, you'd be in no direct danger of legal action. It would be satire/parody at that point.

Duke is not even in the game, just on the news on a tv in a bar, Posters which advertise DNF coming soon, Some old duke games amongst Roxys dvd collection, DN3d on pause on her tv and the DNF game boxes. Duke does not actually appear in the game and you play as Roxy. When the mystery is solved and DNF is saved the game ends. There is no DNF footage or media on here. Though you can flip through Roxy's Ipod and listen to the Duke themes.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostDISRUPTOR, on Apr 25 2010, 08:53 AM, said:

Though you can flip through Roxy's Ipod and listen to the Duke themes.

Hopefully you mean "iPod" in the colloquial term. I'm sure Apple wouldn't exactly be happy with an unwarranted product placement.

View PostThe Mighty Bison, on Apr 25 2010, 06:53 PM, said:

Hopefully you mean "iPod" in the colloquial term. I'm sure Apple wouldn't exactly be happy with an unwarranted product placement.

That is not the issue here. I would appreciate it if people could look at the good side of this rather than pointing out all the legal issues. And of course it isn't going to be an actual ipod i am not stupid :P

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostDISRUPTOR, on Apr 26 2010, 04:42 AM, said:

That is not the issue here. I would appreciate it if people could look at the good side of this rather than pointing out all the legal issues.

Its not about being a hard ass, dude. Some of us want to see you succeed, but the little "legal" thing could absolutely get in your way. Absolutely, it's a good idea to pre-sight things istead of you stepping on a mine going at it blind. :P

I like the name of the character by the way... Question though, if not Eduke, what are you using to make this game, exactly?

View PostCommando Nukem, on Apr 26 2010, 05:28 AM, said:

Its not about being a hard ass, dude. Some of us want to see you succeed, but the little "legal" thing could absolutely get in your way. Absolutely, it's a good idea to pre-sight things istead of you stepping on a mine going at it blind. :P

I like the name of the character by the way... Question though, if not Eduke, what are you using to make this game, exactly?

Adventure maker. The point is not to make an action packed blast everything in your way game, it is to make a game with a hard story.

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Hey, look forward to seeing something from it then. :P

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostDISRUPTOR, on Apr 26 2010, 09:34 PM, said:

it is to make a game with a hard story.

I like it already. ^^

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options