Duke4.net Forums: Wanted: Cross-Platform Command Line GRP Utility - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wanted: Cross-Platform Command Line GRP Utility

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

While GRPViewer and GRP Studio are great programs for group files, the seemingly only command line utilities available are Ken's old DOS16 KEXTRACT and KGROUP.

From Ken's site:

The ".grp" file format is just a collection of a lot of files stored into 1 big one. I tried to make the format as simple as possible: The first 12 bytes contains my name, "KenSilverman". The next 4 bytes is the number of files that were compacted into the group file. Then for each file, there is a 16 byte structure, where the first 12 bytes are the filename, and the last 4 bytes are the file's size. The rest of the group file is just the raw data packed one after the other in the same order as the list of files.

Source code for KGROUP/KEXTRACT attached.

Attached File  UTIL.ZIP (55.64K)
Number of downloads: 148

User is offline   supergoofy 

I had compiled the build tools in the past (using eduke32 r1573 source):
build_win32_20091217-1573.zip
http://www.mediafire...php?zztdkkozaji

It includes kextract and kgroup for win32.

I think that in latest svn builds the compilation of the tools was broken due to changes to nedmalloc. Maybe it is fixed now, but I don't have the time to compile, plus I don't think that there are significant changes to build tools since a very long time.

If you download the latest source (or any revision you need), enter in the build folder and type make, I think it should start compiling the tools.

There is always the tool XGroup by ProAsm, but I doubt it has command line support or if it can be cross-platform.

[edit]
it seems TX fix the compilation problem of build utils in latest r1620

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 25 March 2010 - 10:03 PM

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

As supergoofy said KEXTRACT should build fine on Linux if you invoke make from the engine directory.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Thanks!

For some reason, I can't compile them under Windows, even with the latest revision, but I can under Linux.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 27 March 2010 - 12:38 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options