Duke4.net Forums: New 3D effects? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New 3D effects?  "I gotta question about the eduke 32 mapster 32 program."

User is offline   Mav3r1ck 

So yeah i have a question about the program mapster 32 and eduke 32, is i possible or can these programs support newer more advanced 3 dimensional effects such as like Floating sectors that are 3 dimensional and able to reshape these sectors? or is it possible?, cause i have gotten the idea to ask thise after watchen the "Duke Nukem Eternity" video. <_<

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Hmm, yeah, it's a room over room system. If you ever played Shadow Warrior (another Build game) you know it. There should be a sample map "ror.map" or "water.map" that come along with Eduke32.

not room over room, i mean real 3D effects, such as a sector in midair not connected to anything.

yeah Polymer supports that via ROR code and converting the sectors to geometry.
or something
I'm not sure I think that's how it was explained.
You could do that stuff with sprites anyway though.

This post has been edited by Colon Semicolon: 24 March 2010 - 07:37 AM

Yeah but trying to create a single room in midair all on its own with sprites, is a very difficult challenge, btw what is the ROR code?, can u give me an explaination =o

This post has been edited by Urukiora: 24 March 2010 - 07:45 AM

User is offline   Fox 

View PostUrukiora, on Mar 24 2010, 12:29 PM, said:

not room over room, i mean real 3D effects, such as a sector in midair not connected to anything.
No, you are confusing it. I am not talking about sector crossing another sector (like Lunatic Fringe), I mean a real sector floating in midair. Don't a tutorial map come along with the eduke version you downloaded?

oh yeah it did =o

Question, how do i select a group of sprites at 1 time?, the tutorial on the map told me to do this.

User is offline   Fox 

To select a group of sprites at the same time, you hold shift. Keep note that this select all sprites in the square along with all sector points.

This post has been edited by Fox: 24 March 2010 - 08:42 AM

User is offline   Rellik 

In theory, it should be possible, but you kinda have to think outside the box when using ROR.

It would take three layers, one for the bottom area, one for the top area and one for the middle which contains the the room. obviously the ROR sector needs to be the exact XY dimensions for all three layers. ramps to the room may need to be built with sprites, or perhaps a CON coded ladder.

I seem to remember that some levels in SW used three layers, but I may be wrong.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

I though the ROR stuff was still kind of buggy? I know the transparent water (last I checked) was still not complete.

i believe this is possible, cause of how advanced the program is getting, i mean thier is 2 ways this can be possible, 1 method is to create the sector in midair and reshape it and another method is to like build it like building blocks, but its just somethen i thought up, after watching the new video of how the polymer is working, i wouldnt be surprised if it was actually perfected =)

This post has been edited by Urukiora: 24 March 2010 - 10:28 AM

User is offline   Rellik 

View PostMr.Flibble, on Mar 24 2010, 12:26 PM, said:

I though the ROR stuff was still kind of buggy? I know the transparent water (last I checked) was still not complete.

I Think it still is. That's why I said 'In theory'.

User is offline   Stabs 

RoR dosnt work in polymer, Polymer can have blatant SoS though, so you dont need to worry about which angle its viewed from

Also in polymer overlapped sectors can create RoR effects but they are not solid and prone to clipping

Attached File  BADROR.zip (316bytes)
Number of downloads: 174

You can cheat by drawing red sectors in another sector and moving them to another for example, but as DanM said, they aren't solid. I once inverted a white-walled sector and that went solid in places and let me creat some weird effects, I think it's safe to do that for "Cosmetic" things, as I don't see it getting broke due to how the renderer works - though I don't know much about it, so don't take my word for it.

Actually usign that white-wall trick, I could make sloped floors in the air, I never thought I'd see it in Duke and had to change my jeans afterwards. (Too much information?)

I can throw a tutorial vid together if you want, but you'd have to download it from somewhere.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 24 March 2010 - 12:34 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options