Duke4.net Forums: eDuke32 crashes a lot under 64-bit Windows 7 - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

eDuke32 crashes a lot under 64-bit Windows 7  "Is there anything I can do to minimize this prob?"

User is offline   MacoMan 

Topic title & Topic description says it all. What can be done?
Thanks.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

No the topic provides us with little information at all.

Need eduke32.log
Situation that you are in when it crashes the most.
Are you using Polymer or the HRP?

We can't just guess what your problem is with a topic that says. "eduke32 crashes on my OS"

User is offline   SwissCm 

hay guys a game crashes on my operating system plz help im running them on my computer which has a keyboard connected to it

User is offline   supergoofy 

LOL <_<

I normally don't have a problem with eDuke itself, although after playing my Tiberus map, duke will crash upon completion. I don't know if that works in other maps. And its occasionally flaky.

Mapster on the other hand, hates me. It will crash if I undo more than 5 times and fullscreen won't work. Although I found a workaround to get me full screen on my nVidia card.

Change these lines in the mapster32.cfg

windowpositioning = 1
windowposx = 2
windowposy = 2

It seems to crash if I make pos x and pos y less than 2. Be sure to make your resolutions your native or better and set forcestartup=0

I am running Win-7 64 Bit Release 7600.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

The Mapster32 undo function is still new and should not be relied on for serious mapping. Make plenty of backups. <_<

View PostSwissCm, on Mar 11 2010, 04:47 AM, said:

hay guys a game crashes on my operating system plz help im running them on my computer which has a keyboard connected to it

It's not inconceivable, chief, that a certain program might run very unstable on a particular OS, especially x64 platform. My first suspicion was Windows 7 64-bit. I didn't want to go into a whole boring bullshit waste of bandwidth by posting 5 pages of an error report like some internet forum nutballs do. Thought maybe if people saw the OS, a klaxon wiould clang & they'd go. "AHHH-HAAAAAA! IT'S THAT WINDOWS 64-BIT THAT'S THE BADDIE!" But, alas, it wasn't as simple as that.

To Commander: the crashes occur without either HRP or polymer enabled. But in all fairness some sessions do run stable for quite a while, while others crash every few minutes. Was basically wondering if it was the OS which can't even natively play anything in a DOS Box

This post has been edited by MacoMan: 11 March 2010 - 10:07 AM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

We don't even know what version of EDuke32 you are using.

Here you can find binaries more recent than the official version:

http://dukeworld.duk...ke32/synthesis/

revision 1599 is the most recent good version imo (the ones after that have a display bug)

View PostDeeperThought, on Mar 11 2010, 10:14 AM, said:

We don't even know what version of EDuke32 you are using.

Here you can find binaries more recent than the official version:

http://dukeworld.duk...ke32/synthesis/

revision 1599 is the most recent good version imo (the ones after that have a display bug)

Now THIS is a helpful post. Thank you. I was using the version that I thought was the latest (20091017) but I know now I'm WAAAAAY off. Thanks again.

User is offline   Roma Loom 

• Loomsday Device

I'm getting random crashes from time to time with latest synthesis builds playing lunar episode. But it's ATI HD4330, so I haven't bothered to complain yet... However it could neither be GFX card nor win7x64... who knows...

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

View PostMacoMan, on Mar 11 2010, 01:05 PM, said:

I didn't want to go into a whole boring bullshit waste of bandwidth by posting 5 pages of an error report like some internet forum nutballs do. Thought maybe if people saw the OS, a klaxon wiould clang & they'd go. "AHHH-HAAAAAA! IT'S THAT WINDOWS 64-BIT THAT'S THE BADDIE!" But, alas, it wasn't as simple as that.

There is a entire section of the board for boring 5 page log reports though. Besides, lots of people run Windows 7 64-bit and I don't think there has been a measurable amount of problems with that OS. I'm pretty sure TX has tested with 64 bit and with Windows 7 (even when it was RC I remember there being a discussion about eDuke on Windows 7).
In short, the OS should not be assumed the problem (At least not with eDuke32)

It also would be helpful to know what sort of system you are running and where it crashes in the game. Out of date drivers cause crashes more often than not when there isn't a problem with a user map/con.

User is offline   z28Nemesis 

I'm having the issue too; using Win7 Home x64, the game tends to memory dump in areas under heavier than normal load or load screens. Also getting GAME.CON errors and I haven't edited or modded the file yet. Will attach the log file next time I get a crash.. was just cruising the forum and ran across this thread.

User is offline   z28Nemesis 

This crash occured when I hit "Load Game" but it was the same type of crash I've had twice on load screens and once during a level. Odd though, I didn't have any problems at all until I got into episode 2: Lunar Apocalypse. All my drivers are up to date, and though I'm using HRP, it comes with Polymer, though I updated to your latest version, released 3/11. eduke32.log is included on this post.

I'm also having an issue with 2 of the game.con errors, where it expects something else. If I run Duke w/o using eDuke or HRP (just execute duke3d.exe) it finds no errors. I normally wouldn't complain, except I edited user.con for increased ammo amounts, but since it finds errors in game.con it forces a default run of the con files in the .grp file.

Edit: I also had an odd issue on the Death Row level (E1 M3) where the wall explodes in the corridor, which opens up the room to the 2 turning gears, which you jump onto to get to a hidden room above.. Walk inside, I get insane FPS lag (1-2 FPS or so), continue to go inside, I get all kinds of graphical issues, back out and 0 FPS when I reach the red door which goes into the deeper complex.. I lost all form of control except "Shoot" and then after about 2 minutes, suddenly it went back to full speed, I turned around and went back into the room out of curiosity and no graphical problems, no loss of speed or control.. very odd, almost like a buffer issue. May be an issue with HRP, but had to be pretty bad to slow a Phenom quad core with a GeForce9800GTX on 4 gigs of system memory.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by z28Nemesis: 13 March 2010 - 07:44 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options