Duke4.net Forums: Mod/TC That You Have To Pay For To Download, Using DukePlus and HRP. Illegal No? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Mod/TC That You Have To Pay For To Download, Using DukePlus and HRP. Illegal No?  "Anyone know who this guy is?"

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View Posteddym4814, on Feb 26 2010, 06:02 AM, said:

I just don't like being called an asshole and I don't think you do either.

I'm not the one who has advocated destroying someone's chance to profit from his own work.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Duke3D maps that you create aren't automagically licensed under the GPL. He's free to sell maps that he made from scratch if he feels like it. His page states that you have to own Duke Nukem 3D and have the HRP installed (and presumably Duke Plus, judging by the screenshots) to play his maps, so I don't see a problem from the abstract. Of course I haven't actually bought his map pack to make sure all of the art/stuff he mght be redistributing is either his work or legit to use in this case, but I don't see a reason to get all angry mob on him just yet.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostGambini, on Feb 26 2010, 01:20 PM, said:

I fail to see the whole point of this thread started all over the duke forums. The better thing ¨we¨ could do is just not buying his mod. The fact he expects to get monetary benefit from this can be judged only by the people that would buy it, if there is any. At this point i find Commander more annoying than this guy by spamming three forums with the same copied-pasted post. All what he did is to make propaganda.

I did that so that anyone who is "new" as such has more chance of seeing these topic and is not tempted to buy the package without us even knowing if it's a scam or the real deal yet.

User is offline   eddym4814 

View PostMikko_Sandt, on Feb 25 2010, 11:00 PM, said:

I'm not the one who has advocated destroying someone's chance to profit from his own work.

Neither one of us knows the whole story at this point. If he is legally selling his work then I am wrong and I admit it. But take a look in the mirror before you start calling any one else an asshole. I have read your posts on this forum and others. You attack people personally and often harshly criticize their work instead of being constructive. I may make a stupid post every now and then but I usually try to help people with their problems.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPlagman, on Feb 25 2010, 08:41 PM, said:

His page states that you have to own Duke Nukem 3D and have the HRP installed (and presumably Duke Plus, judging by the screenshots) to play his maps, so I don't see a problem from the abstract. Of course I haven't actually bought his map pack to make sure all of the art/stuff he mght be redistributing is either his work or legit to use in this case, but I don't see a reason to get all angry mob on him just yet.

Where does it say that you have to own Duke Nukem 3D? It does not say that anywhere on this page: http://duke-nukem-3d-assault-tc.de.vu/ , nor on this page: http://pleasedonatef...t/index_us.html It just says you need the HRP. Maybe he does say it somewhere, but it's certainly not being made clear enough in that case. Either he is misleading people into thinking they will have a working game when they pay for his maps (sleazy!), or he really is providing them with a working game, in which case he is illegally profiting from piracy (sleazy!). Either way, he is being a sleaze.

His levels look very good, but am I missing something or is there no monsters?

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View PostWilliam Gee, on Feb 26 2010, 03:33 AM, said:

His levels look very good, but am I missing something or is there no monsters?

Funny too in that video, he was shooting at nothing!

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostDeeperThought, on Feb 26 2010, 02:37 AM, said:

Where does it say that you have to own Duke Nukem 3D? It does not say that anywhere on this page: http://duke-nukem-3d-assault-tc.de.vu/ , nor on this page: http://pleasedonatef...t/index_us.html It just says you need the HRP. Maybe he does say it somewhere, but it's certainly not being made clear enough in that case. Either he is misleading people into thinking they will have a working game when they pay for his maps (sleazy!), or he really is providing them with a working game, in which case he is illegally profiting from piracy (sleazy!). Either way, he is being a sleaze.

The title of the page says "Total Conversion". That's enough for me. And I really don't understand why people are saying he is selling his "game".

I really don't get what's this discussion about now. He is not selling the HRP, nor he says that he is giving a free duke3d.grp. For me it is already solved.

This post has been edited by Fox: 26 February 2010 - 12:55 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostFox, on Feb 26 2010, 12:53 AM, said:

The title of the page says "Total Conversion". That's enough for me. And I really don't understand why people are saying he is selling his "game".

I really don't get what's this discussion about now. He is not selling the HRP, nor he says that he is giving a free duke3d.grp. For me it is already solved.

I was done talking about this, but since you quoted my post and honestly don't seem to understand it, I'll reply. Firstly, it's obviously not a "total conversion" by any reasonable definition. It's some maps made for the HRP + Duke Plus. Secondly, he's making it sound like someone who pays the $10 and downloads the HRP will be able to play the game. If that's true, then he's giving away Duke 3D with his levels, which he's not supposed to do. If it's false (as you assume), then he is misleading people, because he doesn't say that you need anything besides the HRP and his "TC" to play it (at least on those two pages linked above). If I were trying to sell some Duke 3D related work, I would make it damned clear exactly what people are getting. He's not doing that. He doesn't even say how many levels they are getting (unless there is more information we don't know about). So I believe he is running his "business" in a sleazy way. I never said that it was illegal, though.

User is offline   Fox 

Having maps, art and sound is roughly enough to be called "Total Conversion".

Either way, if he calls it a "Total Conversion", I don't see how he could be fraudulent. If I say "pay 5 bucks and play my Duke map" am I misleading people to believe that they don't need the game to play? If you know what "map" is, that's enough. <_<

This post has been edited by Fox: 26 February 2010 - 02:31 AM

User is offline   Mia Max 

This map looks very good in motion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/dukenukemaster...u/1/Dcf2pOkjV3U

€4,99 isn't that much. Maybe I'll be one of the idiots <_<

User is offline   Spiker 

NO GAMEPLAY! Looks like a DM map only.

User is online   blizzart 

There was a forum topic some time ago. Either here or on another board (don´t remember).

I downloaded it back then but it was just a DM TC. I have to search for it and tell you later.

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View Postblizzart, on Feb 26 2010, 07:02 AM, said:

There was a forum topic some time ago. Either here or on another board (don´t remember).

I downloaded it back then but it was just a DM TC. I have to search for it and tell you later.

That explains why there were no monsters in the video.

View PostFox, on Feb 26 2010, 02:30 AM, said:

Having maps, art and sound is roughly enough to be called "Total Conversion".

Total Conversion basically means everything has been changed.

His map pack (This is what it looks like to me) uses 99% duke stuff. That's like saying my WGSpace episode is a total conversion just cause it has a few new sounds little art and a bunch of maps.

This post has been edited by William Gee: 26 February 2010 - 11:52 AM

User is offline   Fox 

If you look at old Duke pages (like MSDN), you will see that you should not expect such accuracy with those terms. I don't like it being used like that myself. <_<

User is offline   Gambini 

For me it´s quite clear nobody is going to buy a ¨total conversion¨ for a game which they dont have. He´s not misleading people with that, for much he doesnt mention you need the original game.

The Total Conversion meaning maybe is ment to be used in mods where everything is new. But it´s rather used as a mod synonym in this and other communities.

User is offline   TURBOKID 

View Posteddym4814, on Feb 25 2010, 03:58 PM, said:

What's your problem Mikko? Non commercial Duke mods are free. He is using GPL content in his mod. He can't control or limit distribution of that content. It is true that we do not know what is included in his download at this time but once someone does download it they should be free to share it per the GPL. That's my opinion anyway.

Cat with gun Talk out of tiny anus and start with people who have much bigger balls than his tiny cat balls <_<

Serious though dude Shut the fuck up. If he has spent his time making these maps let him fucking sell em. You fail to realise it has nothing to do with the HRP so "they should be free to share it per the GPL" Get a clue you thick twat. Just because his pictures show the HRP don't mean he is selling stuff from the HRP. Go to bed before your mom grounds you you little child.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View Posteddym4814, on Feb 26 2010, 08:22 AM, said:

I have read your posts on this forum and others. You attack people personally and often harshly criticize their work instead of being constructive. I may make a stupid post every now and then but I usually try to help people with their problems.

My criticism is always constructive. Your post didn't warrant a constructive argument though as it was just a suggestion of how to ruin another man's work, not a coherent argument. Give a little, get a little.

User is offline   Sangman 

View PostMia Max, on Feb 26 2010, 12:09 PM, said:

Good idea, also report your findings <_<

User is offline   eddym4814 

View PostDISRUPTOR, on Feb 26 2010, 06:55 PM, said:

Go to bed before your mom grounds you you little child.

I haven't lived with my mom for over 30 years unlike you tough guy. Your mom probably tucks you in every night. <_<

Mikko:
My criticism is always constructive. Your post didn't warrant a constructive argument though as it was just a suggestion of how to ruin another man's work, not a coherent argument. Give a little, get a little.

In your opinion your criticism is always constructive. My opinion is that it is not always constructive. You know what they say about opinions.

Also both of you still assume that what he is selling is legal. At this point I have not read that anyone has bought his TC and can report what is or is not included. If he is including the GRP then it is not legal. As I already stated in a previous post: "If what he is selling is legal then I am wrong and I admit it." At this point continuing in this vein is useless. Until I/we find out for sure what he is selling I do not see any reason to discuss this with you further.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Yeah, I'm afraid this thread serves no purpose in the current state of things, so I suggest we keep it at that. I guess the fact that you need Duke3D is not explicitly worded as DeeperThought pointed out, but the fact that it's presented as a mod kind of makes it implicit in my opinion. In any case, I think we've all agreed that his business practices are a little desperate and that there are better deals on the rest of the Internet.

User is offline   Fox 

Hell, I don't know how this flame war started...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=_QyYaPWasos

View PostMia Max, on Feb 26 2010, 08:09 AM, said:

I liked it. It has a nice city, while it is not very detailed, it have good textures in the outside.

Although I don't think it's worth to buy. It's a deathmatch TC, in other words you need to have someone else with the TC. Not to say that Duke multiplayer community is not that big. <_<

This post has been edited by Fox: 26 February 2010 - 08:45 PM

User is offline   CruX 

View Posteddym4814, on Feb 25 2010, 02:04 PM, said:

All it would take is one person downloading this, then uploading it to the net to basically put this guy out of business.

View PostMikko_Sandt, on Feb 25 2010, 03:22 PM, said:

He didn't point it out; he suggested it, hence his post.

View PostMikko_Sandt, on Feb 26 2010, 04:15 PM, said:

Your post didn't warrant a constructive argument though as it was just a suggestion of how to ruin another man's work

...Not that I'm trying to bait you, Mikko, but what exactly about Eddy's post gives you the idea that he's encouraging anyone to do this? There was nothing in it that even indicated that he wanted anybody to, so how can you tell the difference between suggesting and making a simple observation?

User is offline   Fox 

"All it would take is one person rapping his child, them posting photos on the Internet to basically destroy his life."

I may be wrong, but sounds more like stating an fact than inciting the action.

Also, I was looking at the thread, and I think that eddym4814 was replying to this discussion:

View PostJames, on Feb 25 2010, 05:41 PM, said:

This is Duke Nukem 3D we're talking about, a relatively obscure by today's standards game. Thousands of people are not going to hand over money for that mod. I doubt even 1 person will.

This post has been edited by Fox: 27 February 2010 - 04:49 AM

I can't work out whether he's just faking it the way people in past times would fake car injuries so they could sue. Don't have a problem with him asking donations as long as he's genuine (heck maybe I should try that <_<) , but selling a TC that maybe isn't even a TC? I dunno, that worries me a bit.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View Posteddym4814, on Feb 27 2010, 07:04 AM, said:

In your opinion your criticism is always constructive. My opinion is that it is not always constructive. You know what they say about opinions.

Present an example of how I "often harshly criticize their work instead of being constructive".

Also both of you still assume that what he is selling is legal. At this point I have not read that anyone has bought his TC and can report what is or is not included. If he is including the GRP then it is not legal. As I already stated in a previous post: "If what he is selling is legal then I am wrong and I admit it." At this point continuing in this vein is useless. Until I/we find out for sure what he is selling I do not see any reason to discuss this with you further.

This isn't really relevant. We can simply assume that he has not included the GRP and discuss whether it's moral to advocate destroying someone's work. As such, it wouldn't matter if we found out he's selling the GRP file with his TC: the arguments would still stand given the context.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options