Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem First Person Shooter - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem First Person Shooter

User is offline   Postal 

I really dont care now if they do or do not release a sequal of DN3D. But i just want a kick ass Duke Nukem First person shooter, who cares if it isnt made by 3dr . Im desperate

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostPostal, on Feb 23 2010, 06:47 AM, said:

I really dont care now if they do or do not release a sequal of DN3D. But i just want a kick ass Duke Nukem First person shooter, who cares if it isnt made by 3dr . Im desperate

Go Play Duke Nukem Advance (if you haven't already) it's a kickass Duke game and it's not made by 3DR. It's even got elements that are relevant to the All American nature of DNF. Additionally it is very similar in it's style to Duke3D and quite worth at least one playthrough. <_<
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Jinroh: 22 February 2010 - 06:31 PM

User is offline   necroslut 

I wouldn't say DNA is that similar to D3D, more like Doom, but it's decent enough so I also recommend it if you haven't played it already. if you don't like handheld games you can play it on an emulator or Game Boy Player or whatever.

The PSP version of Duke Nukem Trilogy seems to be (at least parts of it) and FPS as well.

You could also look forward to the Duke Nukem Eternity mod.

User is offline   Jinroh 

View Postnecroslut, on Feb 23 2010, 07:30 PM, said:

I wouldn't say DNA is that similar to D3D, more like Doom.

Sorry, I mean that in it's style it was similar, maybe I was unclear. DNA had all the style of Duke IMO but in a BSP styled renderer.

Let us run down a list for a moment:
------------------------------------------
*Real World Locales
*Duke-isms
*Shinker/Freeze Ray
*Might Foot
*Look Up Down
*Jumping Puzzles
*Colourful textures
*Innuendo

I think it portrays the style of Duke hehe. Though I will agree that the renderer is very much more similar to Doom. <_< They did a terrific job making a Doom style renderer having the Duke style and atmosphere.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

I liked Duke Nukem Advanced a lot, city levels in Advanced where awesome, and it even had a Duke Burger.

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostReaperMan, on Feb 23 2010, 09:46 PM, said:

I liked Duke Nukem Advanced a lot, city levels in Advanced where awesome, and it even had a Duke Burger.

Yeah I liked it a lot too. The city area with the Camel Gas Station and such was really cool. <_< I liked that. I started remaking Level 1 for Duke3D, but didn't get very far I started the first room, but I'm not a very good mapper. =_= IIRC It even had the BUILD shake effect right? Which was cool like for the epic last part of the game. <_<

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostJinroh, on Feb 23 2010, 12:34 PM, said:

Sorry, I mean that in it's style it was similar, maybe I was unclear. DNA had all the style of Duke IMO but in a BSP styled renderer.

Let us run down a list for a moment: ...

I understood what you meant, I just don't agree with you.

On topic: Duke Nukem: Zero Hour for the Nintendo 64 has a cheat code that let's you play in first person mode.

User is offline   Jinroh 

View Postnecroslut, on Feb 25 2010, 08:50 AM, said:

I understood what you meant, I just don't agree with you.

No problem. <_< I just wasn't convincing enough I guess. hehe.

View Postnecroslut, on Feb 25 2010, 08:50 AM, said:

On topic: Duke Nukem: Zero Hour for the Nintendo 64 has a cheat code that let's you play in first person mode.

Cool! <_< I did not know about that one.

EDIT:
GameStop needs to update their DNA images. I don't remember this reflective (water/floor?) being in the final game. ^o^ Maybe part of the Pre-9/11 DNF as IIRC in an interview they changed the game to reflect 9/11 or something like that. Or just an early build showing off potential featues. hehe. lol. LameDNA.
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Jinroh: 24 February 2010 - 08:02 PM

Hmm, I guess the Duke3D Pistol was Originally going to be in DNA <_<. Too bad it didn't make the cut <_<.

This post has been edited by Duke Nukem Atomic: 09 March 2010 - 06:12 PM

View PostDuke Nukem Atomic, on Mar 9 2010, 11:11 PM, said:

Hmm, I guess the Duke3D Pistol was Originally going to be in DNA <_<. Too bad it didn't make the cut <_<.

I like DNA's desert eagle :P

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostReaperMan, on Mar 10 2010, 11:30 AM, said:

I like DNA's desert eagle <_<

Yeah DNA's Deagle was cool since it's like DNF, but the Duke3D Pistol would have been handy too hehe.

User is online   Lunick 

Could all the maps be redone for Duke3D though? It would probaly take some effort right?

View PostReaperMan, on Mar 9 2010, 08:30 PM, said:

I like DNA's desert eagle <_<

Me too, I was just saying it would be cool to have that good ole' Duke3D Pistol in the Game.

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostLunick, on Mar 10 2010, 12:54 PM, said:

Could all the maps be redone for Duke3D though? It would probaly take some effort right?

Yeah it probably wouldn't be too hard except for ripping the textures.

I started remaking Level1 but I'm not a very good mapper so it's kinda shitty and uses Duke3D textures. All the architecture in the game is classic vanilla doom-like so it would be no stretch for BUILD. Everything's rendered using a Doom Style BSP so nothing's freely movable either.

This post has been edited by Jinroh: 09 March 2010 - 10:28 PM

User is online   Lunick 

View PostJinroh, on Mar 10 2010, 05:27 PM, said:

Yeah it probably wouldn't be too hard except for ripping the textures.

I started remaking Level1 but I'm not a very good mapper so it's kinda shitty and uses Duke3D textures. All the architecture in the game is classic vanilla doom-like so it would be no stretch for BUILD. Everything's rendered using a Doom Style BSP so nothing's freely movable either.

Well I dont even know how to map lol

User is offline   Jinroh 

I don't really have mapping experience either I just opened up BUILD and started remaking the level based on what I saw so it was lame hehe.

User is online   Lunick 

View PostJinroh, on Mar 10 2010, 06:13 PM, said:

I don't really have mapping experience either I just opened up BUILD and started remaking the level based on what I saw so it was lame hehe.

Thats probaly exactly what I would have done

Does anyone know if there is a program that you can use to rip art from GBA games?

Just curious.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 10 March 2010 - 12:22 PM

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostReaperMan, on Mar 11 2010, 04:17 AM, said:

Does anyone know if there is a program that you can use to rip art from GBA games?

Just curious.

You can use programs like Visual Boy Advance to rip tiles from video memory. Though for something like DNA a custom utility will be needed.

User is offline   Jinroh 

Sorry to bump this, but I found this interesting info about the engine used for Duke Nukem Advance.

It looks like the DNA engine was called the Southpaw Engine and was also used for the Doom II port and Ice Nine

It also had many interesting features that were sadly not utilized in DNA.

'Wikipedia' said:

Southpaw engine is a video game engine designed for the Game Boy Advance to produce first person shooters. It was first developed by Take Two Interactive and has been licensed out to Australian developer Torus Games.

The engine allows first person games to be reproduced with a maximum of 19 levels, 8 enemies and 5 save game slots, to fit within an 8MB Game Boy Advance cartridge.

The game engine is most likely retired with no titles announced using the Southpaw engine.

Engine Features
* Mip Mapping
* Transparent Textures
* Reflective water
* Destroyable textures and objects
* Security Cameras
* Look Up/Down; Shooting Up/Down
* Screen shake
* Moving geometry
* Floor and Ceiling textures
* Multiplayer game variation and 2 player cooperative
* Sniper views
* Night vision
* Night and day cycle
* Path finding AI
* Dynamic lighting
* Ladders
* Proximity sound effects
* 16 channel mod music tracks

Source: http://en.wikipedia....Southpaw_engine

Interesting, now who do we have to nag to get the source code for DNA?

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 04 September 2010 - 11:24 PM

User is offline   Nacho 

View PostJinroh, on Feb 24 2010, 07:56 PM, said:

No problem. :D I just wasn't convincing enough I guess. hehe.

Cool! :D I did not know about that one.

EDIT:
GameStop needs to update their DNA images. I don't remember this reflective (water/floor?) being in the final game. ^o^ Maybe part of the Pre-9/11 DNF as IIRC in an interview they changed the game to reflect 9/11 or something like that. Or just an early build showing off potential featues. hehe. lol. LameDNA.
Posted Image

Thanks for posting that I wasn't aware of that being in the game at any point during development. This is indeed what you suggest, reflective water is a feature that the Southpaw Engine could in fact achieve.

View PostReaperMan, on Sep 4 2010, 11:24 PM, said:

Interesting, now who do we have to nag to get the source code for DNA?

I actually got a hold of some of the people at Torus who made Duke Nukem Advance as well as Duke Nukem for GBC... I was planning on contacting them later on on some information that I may need later on.

This post has been edited by Nacho: 05 September 2010 - 05:25 AM

View PostNacho, on Sep 5 2010, 09:22 AM, said:

I actually got a hold of some of the people at Torus who made Duke Nukem Advance as well as Duke Nukem for GBC... I was planning on contacting them later on on some information that I may need later on.

You should nag them about the source code while your at it. :D

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

That's definitely a beta shot, the Duke3D pistol isn't in DNA.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Sep 5 2010, 11:27 PM, said:

That's definitely a beta shot, the Duke3D pistol isn't in DNA.

neither is the reflective floor.

User is offline   Jinroh 

Yeah I think it's in the Pre-9/11 version they made. I remember reading in an interview they overhauled the game or something.

We knew we couldn’t achieve full 3D tech at the time (especially when we were supposed to deliver in September 2001) so we opted for a BSP engine. This meant we had to make some compromises to the initial game – transferring a true 3D environment to a BSP rendering environment. Then Sep 11 occurred and Take 2 had to reassess the project. All parties involved agreed to extend the production time to squeeze in more features and refine the game. Finally getting 3D Realms full involvement in the game. We knew it was their license and we wanted them to have their stamp on the game.

Source: Game Target Interview

That reminds me I wanna edit the Wikipedia article on Southpaw to include BSP Traversal Rendering.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Im not quite sure I understand why 9/11 factors into Duke Nukem Advanced development, but okay...

User is offline   Jinroh 

Yeah I'm not sure why either. We should get Nacho to find out for us.

Maybe Duke was gonna go to New York City and shoot up alien bastards in the World Trade Center or something. Like what they had to cut out with the Spiderman 2 movie.

View PostJinroh, on Sep 5 2010, 10:58 PM, said:

Yeah I'm not sure why either. We should get Nacho to find out for us.

Maybe Duke was gonna go to New York City and shoot up alien bastards in the World Trade Center or something. Like what they had to cut out with the Spiderman 1 movie.

Mistake fixed.

User is offline   Jinroh 

Yeah you're right. For some reason I thought he fought with Doc. Ock. on the Twin Towers and it got cut.

I thought it was pretty awesome that it was originally going to have Asynchronous Multiplayer. It's a shame that it got cut. T_T I never did get a chance to Dukematch with anybody in DNA though. I had DNA, Doom 1 &2 for the GBA when I was in High School and we used to Doom Deathmatch on the bus on the GBA but nobody but me bought DNA. T_T

This post has been edited by Jinroh: 06 September 2010 - 08:21 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options