Duke4.net Forums: Why No Dnf Mod? - Duke4.net Forums

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why No Dnf Mod?

User is offline   Goldeneye 

I was just wondering why no one has bothered making a mod for a game like half life 2 or a standalone mod running on the game engine cause i would always want a Duke experiance even if it wasnt the actual game
Goldeneye

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

It's been done, but 3D Realms shut them down.

http://play.tm/story/5032

There were other cases as well.

I love Duke4.net. It's one of my life's proudest accomplishments. I'm proud of the community we have built here and the beautiful work that comes out of it every day. I'm proud of the friends I've made here and the kind people who made all of this possible with their hard work, donations, and participation. Thank you.

User is offline   Micki! 

• Candy Consumptionist & Administrator

Don't mock on 3DR though...
It's not because they are evil greedy bastards... it's just an issue of violating the rights of using Duke's name...

PS
Yatta, that HL2 mod was actually supposed to be a total conversion of Duke3D, not a "fan version" of DNF...

The maps they made looked pretty nice though, despite being incomplete...

A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

User is offline   Cerberus_e 

Micki!, on Oct 22 2006, 11:43 AM, said:

Don't mock on 3DR though...
It's not because they are evil greedy bastards... it's just an issue of violating the rights of using Duke's name...
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's not true... they own Duke so they can allow anyone to make a mod about their character.
They are just afraid Duke would get even more attention that's all.

User is online   Kristian Joensen 

Actually Cerberus_e it is possible to lose a trademark if it becomes "genericized". That is a very real danger they have to guard against.

Frightfan: Should we wait until GT is persuaded to release the entire Blood source code?

Matt Saettler: Don't know about the Blood source from lith. I doubt they'll release it.

Frightfan: [Jason Hall] already said he would if it were up to him, but it isn't - it's GTI's game now.

Matt Saettler: Jace is wrong. I'm the one that negotiated the contracts. Jace probably doesn't even know what's really in them....

User is offline   Cerberus_e 

A mod won't make their trademark generic B) Neither would multiple mods :)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Instead of reading this text, you could be playing Ion Maiden! ;) © 2018 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options