Duke4.net Forums: DOOM64 mod for Duke? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DOOM64 mod for Duke?

User is offline   msims666 

I wanted to do a Doom 64 mod for DN.. Not just a port, but original maps. I downloaded Doom 64 Absolution but am having troubles opening the Tile000.art file I produced via Wad2Art. Are there any resources out there for extracting Doom64 files?

EDIT - I've managed to rip some textures, but now I need the correct palette... any ideas?

This post has been edited by msims666: 05 February 2010 - 06:36 PM

User is offline   Nfelli64 

• Touched by the Banhammer

View Postmsims666, on Feb 5 2010, 09:27 PM, said:

I wanted to do a Doom 64 mod for DN.. Not just a port, but original maps. I downloaded Doom 64 Absolution but am having troubles opening the Tile000.art file I produced via Wad2Art. Are there any resources out there for extracting Doom64 files?

In the following folders:
Bin>Data>Doom64>Auto>
You shall see "D_64 data.pk3" and "D_64 data2.pk3" These can be opened with Winrar They both lead to .png images of sprites and textures.
The png's act better and can contain better quality and can be used in Eduke32 (as I suppose your using)
If you need more detail, Just ask ;)

User is offline   supergoofy 

you can also use this
http://forum.zdoom.o...hp?f=19&t=24952

for doom64 resources

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 05 February 2010 - 11:51 PM

What I have done is repacked "Doom64: Absolution" in a more easy way to to play.

"Doom64: Absolution" with "Doom64: Outcast" addon v2.3.2 repacked by me.

I also includes "Doom64: Redemption Denied" and "Doom64: The Reckoning" addons.

You need to place your doom2.wad in Data folder.

How to play:

To play "Doom64: Absolution" with "Doom64: Outcast" addon run Absolution.cmd

To play "Doom64: Redemption Denied" addon run Redemption.cmd

To play "Doom64: The Reckoning" addon run Reckoning.cmd

Download:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/vnurwe

Note: Take notice that Doom 64 TC is based on an older version of Doomsday engine and it needs Directsound acceleration.
This means that you cannot run it in Vista/7 unless you have Creative Alchemy.

There is a hacked version of Creative Alchemy that works for all sound cards, search it if you need it. I cannot violate any copyrights.

Personally I use XP and have Audigy 2.

User is offline   necroslut 

Play Doom 64 in Eduke32? What?

User is offline   SBG 

1. Does this have anything to do with eDuke?
2. Does this have anything to do with DUKE?
3. WTF is this?

EDIT: OOH. I just got this! The doom64 Mod is NOT meant to be played with eDuke32. It's meant to be played with... something else, but not eDuke.

This post has been edited by SBG: 07 February 2010 - 03:59 PM

The thing is that msims666 reminded me about Absolution and thus I decided to make a repack of the original with the addons and better organized (files and folders). Thus I thought that I should share it.

Still though, even if you don't want to play Absolution, you can download the pack and use its Doom64 resources and then create a mod for eduke32.

So my post was relevant and irrelevant at the same time, with the subject of this topic (Doom64 mod/resources).

User is offline   SwissCm 

There's a more accurate re-implementation of the original N64 game code done by the same author of the Doom64 TC.

http://doom64ex.sourceforge.net/

Yes, I know. Till now I used Doom64 EX. But I wanted to play the Absolution TC.

Doom64 EX is based on original N64 rom. There is a wad converter that transforms the rom to wad. Thus to play it you need to have the original N64 game. But I never had N64 console, like many other users. Though, I do own the retail Doom and Doom 2 PC versions.

Sorry, I didn't mean to cause confusion so easily. This WILL be a mod for EDUKE. Thanks for the help, it's been very useful! I'm a NOOB to HRP but it seems simple enough to figure out, one question though, I complete LACK in the modeling department, is it possible to make HRP SPRITES? or does this only work with textures?

This post has been edited by msims666: 10 February 2010 - 01:32 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

HRP stands for "High Res Project". So if you are making replacement sprites or models, then you would have an HRP. If you are just feeding the existing sprites into EDuke, then it wouldn't technically be a High Res Project at all.

What I think you are asking is "Can I use the original sprites from Doom 64 in an EDuke mod?" to which the answer is "Yes."

If you are no good at making art assets, you can put a call out for modellers and/or texture artists on the forum. I would suggest doing so only after having some progress to show off with your mod.

Yeah I know about HRP and the concept of it, I'm just newbish to using my own textures in it. So I'd have to find a little tutorial on it. Basically, I noticed all the Doom64 textures are in the .png format and are high res, leading me to realize that the Doom64 mod for Doom itself was actually a HRP style mod. So instead of having to lose quality and re-render all the textures in the 8-bit mode, I'd go all HRP and have a better look and feel to it. I was just curious if using High Res sprites was possible, but since Sprites are essentially textures, I'm assuming they can be. I suck ass completely at modeling so that's why I wanted to know if HRP Spriting was possible. I'm going to DL the HRP pack and tinker with it, I'm pretty quick with learning so it shouldn't be too difficult I'm assuming. I'm just wondering, is there a way to reverse the process of the Models or to remove the enemy/actor models all together in HRP and use SPRITES? If that makes sense.

I'm very resourceful and quite good in my own opinion at art editing and what not so I should be okay, but if anyone's interested in helping later down the road when I have some progress they're more than welcome. Thanks for the help guys.

-Mike

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View Postmsims666, on Feb 10 2010, 11:35 AM, said:

Yeah I know about HRP and the concept of it, I'm just newbish to using my own textures in it. So I'd have to find a little tutorial on it. Basically, I noticed all the Doom64 textures are in the .png format and are high res, leading me to realize that the Doom64 mod for Doom itself was actually a HRP style mod. So instead of having to lose quality and re-render all the textures in the 8-bit mode, I'd go all HRP and have a better look and feel to it. I was just curious if using High Res sprites was possible, but since Sprites are essentially textures, I'm assuming they can be. I suck ass completely at modeling so that's why I wanted to know if HRP Spriting was possible. I'm going to DL the HRP pack and tinker with it, I'm pretty quick with learning so it shouldn't be too difficult I'm assuming. I'm just wondering, is there a way to reverse the process of the Models or to remove the enemy/actor models all together in HRP and use SPRITES? If that makes sense.

I'm very resourceful and quite good in my own opinion at art editing and what not so I should be okay, but if anyone's interested in helping later down the road when I have some progress they're more than welcome. Thanks for the help guys.

-Mike

|Its all done with .def files, so yes, its very easy to add and remove stuff from the HRP.

Honestly though, since you're making a Doom 64 mod, i'd reccomend starting from scratch. You wont need any of the default Duke textures.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Yeah. You will want to do a "TC" and replace all the Duke content with stuff from Doom 64. You can use just sprites if you want. As Commando Nukem said, it is all done with text files that tell the game what models and sprites to swap for the originals Duke textures, so it is very adaptable.

You can even hack the con files in Duke to change certain enemy behaviours if you really know what you are doing.

Oh, and I assume that you are familiar with the "Wad2map" utility...

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 10 February 2010 - 01:23 PM

Thanks guys, I just needed that tad bit of info. I forget it was done in the Def files. Yeah I've used Wad2Art plenty of times but it doesn't work too well with the Doom64 files being they're all .png files. It just generates the names.h file, that's about it. Sorry I didn't clarify lol, I'm not new to con coding itself or duke modding, I've made a few tc's before and started working on some new ones a few months back but decided to trash em all and start over with something else, hence doom 64 2 duke tc. I'll most likely poke my head in here every now and then while working on it if I'm stuck or I'll just revert to the ol' eduke wiki.

I think Commando pretty much answered my next question, but here it is anyway. Using the HRP textures, do you have to upload a "dummy" tile or 8-bit tile of the HRP itself into editart as the hurm... placeholder? If so, I'm assuming I would have to completely convert the Duke Palette, yes? or is the HRP capable of a more advanced palette?

anyone else think Poly lighting would be a good idea?

This post has been edited by msims666: 10 February 2010 - 05:49 PM

sorry for the bump, but, would I have to completely change the palette if I'm using the Doom64 HRP tiles or will the HRP pack itself support multiple palettes? thanks dudes, you've been a great help... Also, I'm running into some palette issues, how to I convert the palette to the .dat file? I did it in editart but the game is still using the old palette for some reason..

This post has been edited by msims666: 14 February 2010 - 03:34 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options