Duke4.net Forums: Illustrated Polymer history - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Illustrated Polymer history  "A collection of screenshots that I took during Polymer development"

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Can be found here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/pierreloup.gri...PolymerHistory#

First screenshot is from August 2006.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

That was fascinating. I looked at all of them and read your comments. I didn't understand all of it, but it gave me a better feel for the various stages of making the renderer and how much work has gone into it.

User is offline   ZedDB 

Wow you've come very far! Shiny floors ;)

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

http://picasaweb.google.com/pierreloup.gri...446129537717106

That was one of the first shots I saw of Polymer, when I saw it I kept calling it fake till I saw more. ;)

User is offline   Stabs 

i want shiny floors and cool water ;)

i needs it :P

This is very intresting, thanks for sharing these pics!

User is offline   gt1750 

Cool stuff, Plagman! It was interesting to see the various stages of development.

I'm looking forward to see the reflections and transparent water implemented. And correct shadows for ATi cards ;)

That's really cool to look at, you obviously worked on this for a very long time and I can't say how much I'm sure we all appreciate it, because it's awesome and probably further extends the life of Duke 3D.

Wish I knew how to make floors shiny though.

User is offline   SwissCm 

This is very interesting. I love seeing projects that begin as half-baked, broken idea turn into a half-baked, broken result. Good work Plagman!

Really impressive !!!!

View Postgt1750, on Jan 31 2010, 12:26 AM, said:

And correct shadows for ATi cards ;)

Whats different between the ATI ones and nVidia ones? Other than that they really tax my system.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 30 January 2010 - 05:53 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Hahaha! Hall of mirrors is overkill! XD

Amazing stuff, Polymer is really powerful, especially with those slanted mirrors, which of course, would be impossible to render using the classic 8-bit render. It's a pity that everything was hard-coded there...

This post has been edited by CraigFatman: 30 January 2010 - 07:48 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostThe Commander, on Jan 30 2010, 05:52 AM, said:

Whats different between the ATI ones and nVidia ones? Other than that they really tax my system.

Commander - That's because Nvidia cards actually work! ;)

Plagman - I found this fascinating. Are the dates on the photos correct?
A couple of questions...

I love the stuff like the mirrored floors with textures and so forth. Will there be some way of unlocking this stuff in the future?

Also, the outside the bounds mapping looked really cool. I can see that being usefull for a lot of situations with tricky geometry.

Its really a terrific achievement, congratulations!

View PostTea Monster, on Jan 31 2010, 07:45 AM, said:

Commander - That's because Nvidia cards actually work! ;)

That did not answer my question Tea Monster, I asked what the differences were.
All screen shots posted from Nvidia cards look exactly the same on my end.

User is offline   NY00123 

That's nice to see this; It does illustrate how long it took to get this all working in the current state. Keep up with the good work!

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

This is so awesome.

User is offline   Sebastian 

Really nice!
I love the mirrored floor/ceiling effect, did you take that out for the official release?

edit: Whoa, I love this shot. Is the texture projecting feature.. featured in the official release too?

This post has been edited by Rusty Nails: 30 January 2010 - 04:06 PM

User is offline   EHCB 

Maan, we were all like 'this is awesome' but then you were all 'you ain't seen nothing yet' and we were all '!!!!!!!'

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I think the mirrored stuff is still possible if the specular levels are set properly for the texture in the defs but I'm not certain. The texture projection stuff is definitely there and working though.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Yeah, the dates are accurate.

When I say the mirrors are hard-coded, it only means there's no way to access the effect without changing the source code, but it's there and working. I only need to get around to design and implement an interface around it.

The projected texture feature is already in-game and working. The E1L1 maphacks already use it to project the grating behind the cinema room and the square windows in the secret apartment. It can be accessed either by specifying a tilenum as the last argument of a spotlight maphack or assigning a tilenum to project to a member of the spotlight SE (I don't remember which member, though).

Scary how much is still left to be done!

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPlagman, on Jan 30 2010, 07:47 PM, said:

or assigning a tilenum to project to a member of the spotlight SE (I don't remember which member, though).

IIRC Commander discovered that it was the "owner" member. I guess this means that someone needs to make a Batman TC with a working bat signal.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 30 January 2010 - 07:51 PM

View PostDeeperThought, on Jan 31 2010, 04:50 PM, said:

IIRC Commander discovered that it was the "owner" member. I guess this means that someone needs to make a Batman TC with a working bat signal.

I worked it out by reading through the a.m32 script. ;)

User is offline   Spiker 

View PostPlagman, on Jan 31 2010, 04:47 AM, said:

Scary how much is still left to be done!

Any list of the things planned? ;)

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostSpiker, on Feb 1 2010, 12:01 AM, said:

Any list of the things planned? ;)

+ 1

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

Interesting shots! I was a bit shocked how much of them deal with getting some alignment/rotation/whatever right.. must have been a crapload of work!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options