Duke4.net Forums: Eduke32 crashing on startup in all modes. - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Eduke32 crashing on startup in all modes.

User is offline   You 

Any ideas, tried in full screen/window mode and various resolutions.

Log:
EDuke32 2.0.0devel 20091017
addsearchpath(): Added F:/Documents and Settings/Owner/Desktop/duke/Duke3d (xDuke)/
Checking for updates...
Connecting to http://eduke32.sourceforge.net
Current version is 20091017... no updates available
Large page support available
Loading opengl32.dll
Loading glu32.dll
Initializing DirectDraw...
Using config file 'eduke32.cfg'.
Scanning for GRP files...
Using group file 'duke3d.grp' as main group file.
Compiling: GAME.CON (151190 bytes)
Including: DEFS.CON (35992 bytes)
Including: USER.CON (45482 bytes)
GAME.CON: In actor `ORGANTIC':
GAME.CON:3968: warning: found `else' with no `if'.
GAME.CON: In state `pigshootenemystate':
GAME.CON:5891: warning: found `else' with no `if'.
Found 2 warning(s), 0 error(s).
Resizing code buffer to 16187*4 bytes
Relocating compiled code from to 0x7f850008 to 0xb1ab970
Script compiled in 26ms
Compiled code size: 16179*4 bytes, version 1.4+
Pointer bitmap size: 2024 bytes
1918/11264 labels, 321/2048 variables
125/16384 quotes, 0 quote redefinitions
0/88 event definitions, 207 defined actors
Initialized 32.0M cache
Using .RTS file 'DUKE.RTS'
Initializing OSD...
Initializing DirectInput...
- Enumerating attached input devices
* MOUSE: Mouse
* KEYBOARD: Keyboard
Setting video mode 640x480 (32-bit windowed)
Fatal Signal caught: SIGSEGV. Bailing out.
g_errorLineNum: 0, g_tw: 0
UDP networking uninitialized successfully.

Uninitializing DirectDraw...
Uninitializing DirectInput...

User is offline   You 

Got it working, but there is still an issue..

For some reason EDuke32 will only load the game without the seg fault error if the game is in 8 bit colour...

Any ideas folks?

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Install the latest video driver from whoever makes your video card or chipset.

User is offline   You 

TX, on Jan 28 2010, 11:49 AM, said:

Install the latest video driver from whoever makes your video card or chipset.

Thanks for the reply.

Yea, there was no update, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. I also have no issues with any other games so its unlikely to be a driver issue.

I run all games in my screens native res at 32bit.

Looks like eduke32 is having some other issue with my hardware.

It wouldn't bother me running duke 3d at 8 bit, but I'm really mad to try the new polymer and high resoloution mods.

Baker

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

You, on Jan 28 2010, 06:07 PM, said:

Thanks for the reply.

Yea, there was no update, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. I also have no issues with any other games so its unlikely to be a driver issue.

I run all games in my screens native res at 32bit.

Looks like eduke32 is having some other issue with my hardware.

It wouldn't bother me running duke 3d at 8 bit, but I'm really mad to try the new polymer and high resoloution mods.

Baker

What video card do you have btw? If it's too old you can forget about using Polymer. If it has 32 mb or less, it will lag with the HRP too. Also, what versions are your DirectX and OpenGL drivers?

User is offline   You 

VinsaneOne, on Jan 28 2010, 08:00 PM, said:

What video card do you have btw? If it's too old you can forget about using Polymer. If it has 32 mb or less, it will lag with the HRP too. Also, what versions are your DirectX and OpenGL drivers?

I have a Radeon 9500 Pro, its an old card, but Ive never had any speed issues.

I am running direct x V9

Thanks again.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

I know from memory that the Radeon 9600 Pro worked fine for Polymost, Polymer I can't be so sure about because I don't think it supported SM3 but I could be wrong.

Either you didn't install the drivers correctly or something else is very wack, because I see no reason for it not to be working.

Who is the actual vendor of the card other than ATI, is it an official ATI one or a re-branded one from Sapphire etc?

User is offline   You 

The Commander, on Jan 30 2010, 12:00 PM, said:

I know from memory that the Radeon 9600 Pro worked fine for Polymost, Polymer I can't be so sure about because I don't think it supported SM3 but I could be wrong.

Either you didn't install the drivers correctly or something else is very wack, because I see no reason for it not to be working.

Who is the actual vendor of the card other than ATI, is it an official ATI one or a re-branded one from Sapphire etc?

Its an offical ATI as far as I know. Came in an ATI box anyway!!

Am I the only one to have this issue?

Baker

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm getting it too. Polymer worked for me ages ago but just trying the latest binaries and releases crashes with that same SIGSEGV error now. I have an ATI X1650 Pro AGP. Don't even see anything. It tries to display but immediately closes a split-second later. There are no latest drivers because ATI doesn't care about old cards anymore. All they have is a legacy driver pack that works with all their older cards.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 30 January 2010 - 07:40 PM

User is offline   supergoofy 

You should try:

Xtreme-G ATI Drivers
http://www.tweakforce.com/modules.php?name...load&cid=18

TweakForce team have modded ATI drivers to work with legacy and AGP products

XG Catalyst XP Drivers discussion
http://www.tweakforce.com/modules.php?name...wforum&f=16

XG Catalyst Vista Drivers discussion
http://www.tweakforce.com/modules.php?name...wforum&f=28

You may also want to visit NGOHQ.com
http://www.ngohq.com....php?page=Files

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 31 January 2010 - 08:11 AM

User is offline   You 

MusicallyInspired, on Jan 30 2010, 07:40 PM, said:

I'm getting it too. Polymer worked for me ages ago but just trying the latest binaries and releases crashes with that same SIGSEGV error now. I have an ATI X1650 Pro AGP. Don't even see anything. It tries to display but immediately closes a split-second later. There are no latest drivers because ATI doesn't care about old cards anymore. All they have is a legacy driver pack that works with all their older cards.

Just posting to say this is exactly whats happening to me.

Muxer

• The Sarien Encounter

supergoofy, on Jan 31 2010, 10:01 AM, said:

You should try:

Xtreme-G ATI Drivers

Maybe that will work, but I just discovered that I can't even run the older polymer builds I had archived that once worked. I didn't change any video drivers so what's going on here?

• The Sarien Encounter

Ok, I tried the Xtreme-G LEGACY ATI drivers and that game loads up now. I actually get much better framerate than I ever did before as well. The only problem is half the models don't show up and most of the ones that do freak out and stretch polygons or something all over the screen. HUD weapons are never normal and glitch out constantly. Also, most of the normal and spec maps don't seem to be loading either. The bathroom, for instance, is full of diffuse maps making all the textures look very bland. The parallax mapping seems to work, though. I'll try to grab a screenshot...

• The Sarien Encounter

Ok, the texture stuff seems to be random. Sometimes textures will show and sometimes they won't (the texture maps that is). The spotlight shadows are also hard and pixelated and not smooth. And whenever I see more than a couple lights at once my mouse usually freezes and I have to walk away to a less intensive scene to start looking around again with the mouse again (that is WEIRD). Here are some screenshots.

Is this similar to the Mapster issue with higher end NVidia cards?

My low end laptop can run Mapster fine in fullscreen, but will crash on my desktop PC that has the MSI GeForce 9800GT.

Vice Versa for Polymer.

So I compromised and run it in windowed mode. Try that. If it still fails, then I am sure the coders will have a more in-depth answer.

• The Sarien Encounter

No, it was a driver issue. If "You" installs the same drivers I did it should work for him too but he'll probably have the same glitchy graphics issues that I have. I'm all but convinced it's localized to legacy ATI cards only.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 04 February 2010 - 04:43 PM

User is offline   Span 

same as others... SIGSEGV bailing out after some minutes of playing
memory usage keeps incrementig of 3 mb per second till it reaches 1.3 gb of memory then crashes that way
happens on every resolution, happens earlier with duke nukem hrp and duke nukem eternity
p5q deluxe
e8500 intel cpu
4 gb ram
ati 4870 hd 1gb ddr5, latest catalyst but tried driver standalone and earlier versions, also my motherboard is updated at latest bios, chipset inf, and all drivers
xpsp2
directx 9c

i tried all options from catalist, but no way to get polymost runnig for more than 5 minutes
what can i do?

I have noticed that with all your posts you have made so far saying how much EDuke32 crashes you have failed to provide your log file, so for all we know you have screwed up your installation.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

The Commander, on Mar 20 2010, 10:29 AM, said:

I have noticed that with all your posts you have made so far saying how much EDuke32 crashes you have failed to provide your log file, so for all we know you have screwed up your installation.

He is able to run the game, and he's not complaining of missing textures/etc., so how screwed up could the installation be?

As for the "memory leak": there may well be one, but it is normal for memory usage to increase over time as textures and other content is loaded. However, a steady rate of 3MB per second doesn't sound right.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 20 March 2010 - 09:38 AM

DeeperThought, on Mar 21 2010, 06:37 AM, said:

As for the "memory leak": there may well be one, but it is normal for memory usage to increase over time as textures and other content is loaded. However, a steady rate of 3MB per second doesn't sound right.

That's why I said about a bung install, but then that couldn't be down to a bad install of EDuke32.
I would put it down a bad driver somewhere, I also think he said he is overclocking his PC in a earlier post as well. Unless he compiled the source himself and did something terribly wrong.

EDIT: Posting a log file when ever a user is experiencing any wacky shit should be a rule of thumb. <_<

This post has been edited by The Commander: 20 March 2010 - 10:04 AM

User is offline   Span 

well the game start smooth, but soon the virtual memory leak is always more and more and from a smooth gaming, i have a laggy gaming, so laggy that fps go near zero for a second, then after 5 minutes of gaming or more, i measure 1,5 gb of virtual memory usage for eduke32, max memory usage peak of 800. The game become locked, the screen little light up (change to desktop refresh because eduke32 is closing), but xp need still 10 seconds to become ready freeing up all that virtual memory allocated for nothing.

please help, heres the log and the snapshot of task manager showing eduke32 mess with memory (little after sigsegv, few seconds after bailing out, so while eduke was closing and desktop appeared, i had task manager already open otherwise eduke ctrl+alt+canc is like close quick shortcut).

gameplay was hollywood, killed 3-4 enemies and closed duke on the hidden steroids place... then left the game alone to his damned final destination (badly crashing!)

found this may help
maybe eduke need to compile using latest nedmalloc? (i didn't compile eduke)
E. ChangeLog:
-=-=-=-=-=-=-
v1.06 beta 2 21st March 2010:
* { 1153 } Added detection of whether host process is using MSVCRT or MSVCRTD and the fixing up of which runtime
tolerant nedmalloc should use if nedmalloc was linked differently. This ought to save a great deal of hassle later
on by preventing failed-to-RTM user bug reports <_<
* { 1154 } Fixed nedmalloc trying to use MLOCK_T even when USE_LOCKS=0. Thanks to Ariel Manzur for reporting this.
* { 1155 } Fixed USE_SPIN_LOCKS=0 not compiling on Windows.
* { 1157 } Fixed bug where foreign blocks entering the threadcache weren't being marked as such, thus typically causing a
segfault on process exit.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: vm.JPG

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Span: 22 March 2010 - 05:14 AM

User is offline   dirk nukem 

supergoofy, on 31 January 2010 - 08:01 AM, said:

You should try:

Xtreme-G ATI Drivers

i must say. first i couldn't believe that custom drivers would make such a difference. for me everything happened as posted above. i could not start eduke in high res mode without a crash at start up. so out of desperation and because i had now finished dnf and didn't care about my drivers supporting it i tried the xtreme-g drivers and NOW IT WORKS!

the game doesn't run perfectly smooth, but my comp is pretty old (core 2 duo 2,4ghz + radeon hd 2950 xt, 4gb ram), so i guess that's ok.

the only problem now is, that my game crashed just after the first level or rather just when i had killed the two drones at the sart of "incubator" (e2l2). i also noticed that it took a bit longer to load than the mape before, but i may be mistaken.

so is this a known issue or did i fuck something up? :dukecry:

• Duke Plus Developer

dirk nukem, on 14 June 2011 - 11:40 AM, said:

so is this a known issue or did i fuck something up? :D

If you are using the Polymer renderer, then those results are not surprising (especially if you have an ATI card). Everything should be perfectly smooth otherwise.

User is offline   dirk nukem 

DeeperThought, on 15 June 2011 - 09:04 AM, said:

If you are using the Polymer renderer, then those results are not surprising (especially if you have an ATI card). Everything should be perfectly smooth otherwise.

so is there a workaround or anything? crashing after every level pretty much renders the game unplayable. now im playing the game with polymer deactivated and everything looks like good old dn3d except that all sprites are replaced by models (while the one for the rpg is buggy). it's ok. i mean, i don't need those lightening and rendering effects for my duke. but high res textures would be nice.

• Duke Plus Developer

dirk nukem, on 15 June 2011 - 01:49 PM, said:

so is there a workaround or anything? crashing after every level pretty much renders the game unplayable. now im playing the game with polymer deactivated and everything looks like good old dn3d except that all sprites are replaced by models (while the one for the rpg is buggy). it's ok. i mean, i don't need those lightening and rendering effects for my duke. but high res textures would be nice.

Hmmm, I'm not sure how you managed to get models without hi-res textures. The HRP includes both of them, so if you have one you should have the other. Is it possible that you turned off hi-res textures in the renderer menu when you were trying to deal with the crashing problem? In any event, the version of the HRP you are using is designed for the Polymer renderer. That's why the rocket launcher is messed up (some other stuff is messed up, too). Since Polymer is not an option for you, you can either download HRP version 4, or you can turn it off completely by unchecking the "enable autoload" startup box or removing the files from your autoload folder.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options