Duke4.net Forums: Can't load web pages... Sometimes - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can't load web pages... Sometimes  "A random bug that I can't figure out"

I hate asking for help on these things, but I just can't figure this out.

When I use my laptop to access the web - and only the web, Telnet, FTP and everything else is OK - the browser will occasionally tell me that it can't find that page, it happens more on certain sites, usually hitting "Try Again" twice will load it, but other times it doesn't, oddly enough pinging that address then won't work either. This only happens on my laptop. Also, sometimes it will load a page I was on ages ago regardless of what I typed or even display the "Under Construction" page that my server will show if people from the internet tried to access that in a browser without knowing where things were on it at present. Sometimes (happens a lot with the forums) it just refuses to load a page at all but will load other sites.

I don't get this on other machines, it happens regardless of what browser I run, firewall is off all together as well. Tried re-installing LAN drivers, tried messing about with the connection, new cable, messing about with proxy settings and even looking at the settings on the server. Still no luck.

At first I blamed the server (it's relatively new, and I never had this problem while the old one was there. I miss that old heap) and the new Ethernet Switch but seeing as all the other computers work fine, I don't think it can be that (prove me wrong if you can though, least then I'd know what it was) so I'm stuck.

Anybody know what this might be? Presumably it'll be something silly and obvious, thanks for any help.

Info you might need if you try to help;
Laptop specs;
LAN: National Semiconductor Corp. MacPyther 10/100Mb/s
Browsers tested: Firefox, Lunascape 6, Opera and IE (That nearly killed me)
Currently sets up it's network connection manually - though it makes no difference

Server Specs;
LAN: SiS 190
Services: DHCP, Web Server, FTP Server, Telnet Server - I tried turning these all off and it made no difference
Connecting to the internet via a DSL modem and sharing the connection, kind of wish I had kept that Router now so I could test the laptop on that.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

I had something very similar to this a few weeks back where about every 12 hours my net would drop out, but it would only do it for web pages. Other things like Steam, MSN, Torrents etc would remain fine.

If I tried to access a web page I had never been to before it would load it, but if I tried to access a web page I had been to recently it would throw me the error page.

I would have to turn my router off then on to fix it, but in the end I reset it to the factory defaults which solved the problem, but I lost all Ports I had opened so I had to reenter these again. ;)

But what I could find from digging around on the net was that it's some sort of DNS problem, though I'm not sure if your problem is the exact same as mine.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 26 January 2010 - 04:56 AM

God damned DNS problem, I'd forgotten about that, that was why I set the connection up manually in the end, because it was setting the laptop's DNS Suffix to "mshome.net" for some reason. That's one thing I did like about the router when I had that; when all else fails, hit the Reset button.

I ran ipconfig on the laptop to see if that DNS issue had returned and it spewed something weird out;
The first one (Ethernet) is my Ethernet device showing 2 IP addresses and 3 DNS servers which are wrong, they look like IPv6 addresses, which my network and ISP don't support to any extent, nor do I have IPv6 installed. Those other ones look like IPv6 all together, and I have no idea what they might be, though it explain another problem I was having.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : presario
		Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
		Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
		IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
		WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
		Description . . . . . . . . . . . : National Semiconductor Corp. DP83815/816 10/100 MacPhyter PCI Adapter
		Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0B-CD-18-18-57
		Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
		IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.63
		Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
		IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::20b:cdff:fe18:1857%4
		Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
		DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
											fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
											fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
											fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
		Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
		IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::ffff:ffff:fffd%5
		Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
		NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-A8-00-3F
		IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.0.63%2
		Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
		DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
											fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
											fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
		NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Edit: Just out of curiosity, I set IPv6 up on the laptop and server, and things are working a little better at the moment... though weirdly I have somehow broken flash player.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 26 January 2010 - 06:53 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options