Duke4.net Forums: Uninstalling Windows 7 If This Can't Be Solved - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Uninstalling Windows 7 If This Can't Be Solved  "Uninstalling Windows 7 If This Can't Be Solved"

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Ive finally decided to install Windows 7 but... How the fuck do you turn off Auto Arrange in Windows 7.
I know you can do it on the desktop, but I want to do it on folders.

Posted Image

When working in a folder that has over 1200 textures it is critical that I can move them and place them where I want, like in XP.

This really frustrates the fuck out of me so anyone that can solve this issue, thanks.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 23 January 2010 - 12:55 AM

User is offline   Spiker 

I don't know how to solve it but I don't even imagine working this way. You should really get some program like Adobe Bridge.

View PostSpiker, on Jan 24 2010, 01:00 AM, said:

You should really get some program like Adobe Bridge.

How does that program help me with other folders that contain multiple items?
Basically, when im working in a folder that contains many items I move the ones I have finished with etc to the sides up or down to know that im done with them and they are not in the way of any cutting or pasting.

I have worked with auto arrange off since like Win 95... just to have this thrown at me fucks me off.

Visiting the Microsoft forums it seems that im not the only one pissed at this, so it seems that only a hack or something could enable this option at the time being.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 23 January 2010 - 04:07 AM

User is offline   Spiker 

http://www.windows7t...e.com/view/2690

In Adobe Bridge simply you can freely arrange your files and it remembers it and it has many other useful functions.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Posted Image

Also, if you don't have PS, you can grab hold of Irfanview, which is an excellent image viewer. It will read nearly anything (including even windows icon files) and is blazingly fast.

What on EARTH are you doing creating game tiles in BMP format?

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 23 January 2010 - 09:08 AM

Sorry Tea Monster, but I think you missed the point of what I was getting at, this isn't just about editing images but any folders/files in general.

Windows 7 wont allow me to drag and drop files to where I want them and keep them there, it always puts them back is some aligned grid view that I do not want. How could Microsoft fuck something like this up but allow you to do it on the desktop?

About the textures, thats the format they were extracted from GTA 1 and I couldn't exactly be bothered to batch convert them to some other format and then go through 1500 lines of .DEF code.

User is offline   Sangman 

Like I suggested on AMC; just make a subdir and drag them in there. Or use Google..

This post has been edited by Sangman: 23 January 2010 - 10:27 AM

View PostSangman, on Jan 24 2010, 07:27 AM, said:

Like I suggested on AMC; just make a subdir and drag them in there. Or use Google..

Posted Image
There is no fix, and I can not wait for SP1 because even then that might not fix it.

User is online   Rellik 

Ok, if you want to "move the files out of the way" so you can select the rest, then do this instead: Select the files you want, then CTRL+click the files you don't want to be selected.

The issue is that he isn't looking for a one-off operation, such as select all and deselect two. He wants to be able to drag files around in a folder and have them stay where he puts them, instead of everything rearranging back into a grid sorted by name/date/whatever, and to keep working like that over the course of several operations before moving files to other folders, subfolders, etc.

I did a search for "Windows 7 auto arrange", and there are a fair number of ppl pissed off by this.

I've never worked that way, so I didn't even notice this was a problem until I saw this thread.

View PostThe Commander, on Jan 23 2010, 07:36 PM, said:

There is no fix, and I can not wait for SP1 because even then that might not fix it.

Then just make a subfolder I mean jesus, it's stupid to discard a pretty good OS simply because it has a few minor quirks like this.

User is online   Rellik 

Here's a program called Q-dir, you can turn off autosort, but it will only do it while you are viewing the current folder.

Anyway, from what I have read; there may be two reasons why disabling autosort wasn't implemented in the new explorer, first was for performance reasons; second, the libraries feature made forced autosorting a requirement. Support seems to think that the "sort by" feature and Jumplists are the replacements. bleh.

View PostSangman, on Jan 24 2010, 12:10 PM, said:

Then just make a subfolder I mean jesus, it's stupid to discard a pretty good OS simply because it has a few minor quirks like this.

Why should I have to work like that? It's a pretty shit OS not a good one if I can't do something that I have been able to do in OS since like Windows 95 isn't it.

They also say thing OS is meant to be faster with games, so far with all games I have tried I have not noticed any performance increase but decreases.
This could be an ATI driver issue, but with ALL my games I highly doubt it.

EDIT:

View PostRellik, on Jan 24 2010, 03:24 PM, said:

Here's a program called Q-dir, you can turn off autosort, but it will only do it while you are viewing the current folder.

I'll have a look.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 23 January 2010 - 06:28 PM

• Polymancer

Windows 7 is amazing. Microsoft made a new OS that (sharp intake of breath) that runs as good as XP does.
and isn't a complete memory and resource whore.

If you are going back to Vista, don't even consider it.

I just had a thought, and I'm not promising anything, but if you sent me your shell32.dll, i might be able to hack the option back in. you still get some kind of arrange icons option when you right click in the folder right?

Like I say, I'm not promising that it will work, I find the string tables to be corrupted (deliberately I think) on a lot of win 7 files.

Oh, and for converting your files, you could use ctrl+h for find and replae in the .def in notepad, just replacing .bmp with .png or whatever - or does that not work in 7 either (wouldn't surprise me).

1. Uninstalled Windows 7
2. Reinstalled Windows XP
3. Profit ;)

User is offline   SBG 

LOL

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Barf... no "profit" there. Say, Commander, while we're on the topic of ancient pieces of shit, why don't you rent some VHS tapes on the way home from work? ;)

• Polymancer

It could have been MUCH worse.

"I uninstalled Windows 7 and installed Windows Vista* - WIN! \o/ "

So always look on the bright side ;)

* Has to be pronounced as "Vees-tahh"

View PostTX, on Jan 29 2010, 10:45 AM, said:

Barf... no "profit" there. Say, Commander, while we're on the topic of ancient pieces of shit, why don't you rent some VHS tapes on the way home from work? ;)

Funny, performance from games I tired on Win 7 then tried on XP jumped by like 120%

Posted Image
For example, this scene here on Polymost (not polymer) I could only get like 25 FPS in Windows 7
Windows XP 120+ FPS

Also, Polymer HRP E1L1 maphack lobby = 7 FPS in the lobby Windows 7 13-14 on XP

Possible answer is that ATI drivers suck on Win 7 or that Win 7 doesn't increase gaming performance at all like it proclaims.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 28 January 2010 - 07:24 PM

User is offline   Stabs 

i beg to differ with an argument i can't think of right now ;)

• Polymancer

Probably a bit of both. This benchmark is very old (using a pre-release version) but indicate that 7 uses multiple cores and funky hardware better, but that graphics drivers for both Vista and 7 (they are supposed to use the same driver model, which is different from that of XP) are optimized for Direct X rather than Open GL. If you google about things may have improved.

Also, you need to have decent hardware to take advantage of 7. If you are running a single core Sempron with 512 of RAM then you are probably better off with XP anyway.

View PostTea Monster, on Jan 29 2010, 09:17 PM, said:

Also, you need to have decent hardware to take advantage of 7. If you are running a single core Sempron with 512 of RAM then you are probably better off with XP anyway.

http://www.xfire.com...le/commandernz/ - At the bottom of page.

There's the answer then, and when/if I even upgrade id still stick to XP till they release a service pack or bring back the auto arrange and a few other things.

Call me old fashioned then I don't care, id still use Win 98 if I could. ;)

This post has been edited by The Commander: 29 January 2010 - 12:35 AM

View PostTX, on Jan 28 2010, 09:45 PM, said:

... why don't you rent some VHS tapes on the way home from work? ;)

Er some people over here in the UK do just that cos they're fed up with modern media being crippled by drm and ads that can't be bypassed; the movie industry is our master when it should be our slave.

Because most folks have gone DVD or even Blu-Ray, you can pick up reasonable quality VHS movies by the bucketful for ridiculously cheap prices, e.g. 50p, or good ones for a pound, at car boot sales and such. People of my generation don't give a shit about the average picture quality, partly because we're used to it and partly because you kids out there (:P) seem to have forgotten about "imagination" and "willing suspension of disbelief".

Though I guess peeps here who play 10-15 year old games with 8 bit art because the gameplay is better than modern crap probably know this already. Sure HRP looks better and Polymer too when I can buy a comp than can run it, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter; whether 320x200 or 3072x2048 -- a pigcop will soon be a dead pigcop :D

This post has been edited by Martin Howe: 29 January 2010 - 01:45 AM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostThe Commander, on Jan 28 2010, 10:52 AM, said:

1. Uninstalled Windows 7
2. Reinstalled Windows XP
3. Profit ;)

Posted Image

Such a moronic rush decision....

I'll have to induce an ever bigger facepalm if you uninstalled the 64-bit version of Windows 7. Such an ill-advised waste, especially if you paid for it. Even worse if you uninstalled Professional or Ultimate, which supports the Downloadable XP Mode, if that's the case, I'll have to murder you, as you could have simply used that if you absolutely needed to for file management.

Could have waited until someone could help solve the problem. You realize Windows 7 allows you almost 100 ways to sort files, so, you could have likely gotten them to sort the way you needed them to. For example, you can sort by custom fields in file properties, so, you could sort by "Comments" and add your own comments to the files you want to sort via Properties.

I, personally, always Sort and Group by file type, when I am managing data for my Mods.

Seems like there are an assload of planned new features and fixes for Service Pack 1 anyhow.

Now, as far as your Abysmal gaming performance, something is severely wrong (Bad Drivers, or you were running far too many processes?). I've never had a single performance hit, going from either OS. In fact, when I went with the 64-bit Windows 7, my Performance increased ever so slightly. I am running NVidia here, though. Through my experience, the quality of their drivers are much better, especially in the newer OSes.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 29 January 2010 - 09:06 AM

You face palm is fail, I already explained several times that I don't want any of Microsoft's crap sorting/groups or any of that junk. I want to be able to put the files where I WANT THEM, not in any of these stupid groups and aligned to grids. Why let us do it on the desktop but not anywhere else?

Bottom line is, it's uninstalled for that reason and performance issues.

If SP1 can fix both these issues then I will return to it, till then I'm not installing it for a third time no matter how much people think that it is the best thing since sliced bread.

Also note that I am someone that as actually tried several times and am not happy with it, not someone that as looked at the box or read reviews online.

View PostStrikerMan780, on Jan 30 2010, 05:41 AM, said:

Now, as far as your Abysmal gaming performance, something is severely wrong (Bad Drivers, or you were running far too many processes?). I've never had a single performance hit, going from either OS. In fact, when I went with the 64-bit Windows 7, my Performance increased ever so slightly.

Windows 7 = ATI 9-12 Driver HD 3650
Windows XP = ATI 9-12 Driver HD 3650

Now what are you going to blame? I tested these games from a clean start up and made sure all drivers Direct X etc were all up to date.

Windows 7 uses more resources to run so therefor my games performance is hindered. (CPU wise)

I'm getting tired of going on about this now.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 29 January 2010 - 09:18 AM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Read my post again. In the middle of my editing, I have posted alternatives before you replied. Like XP Mode.

You are speaking to someone who is likely far more experienced in MS OSes than yourself. I'm practically doing repair and Maintenance for a living now.

And your performance issues are likely not the fault of Windows 7, don't jump to blame Microsoft for every fucking damn problem. It pisses me off, as it's usually very ignorant PC users that go straight to BAWWWWWWWW I HAET MICHROSAWFT!!!! Biggest piss-off is when idiots say MICHROSAWF MAEKS SHITE CAWMPOOTERS! (My response is usually: Microsoft has never made a computer, ever, they only make the OS Software... fucktards. Blame the Hardware manufacturers, and the shit bundled software they include that dicks around with critical system components. Looking at ACER, among others here.)

Then there are people who build custom PCs, who don't carefully choose what they put in their system, because certain hardware combinations just don't mix. My PC is running smooth as glass, because I have been consistent with the hardware chosen. For example, I use an NForce 780i chipset, so I chose RAM that is designed to take advantage of that chipset's memory management features. (OCZ SLi-Ready RAM).

In short, all things aside, what I am trying to say, issues can be caused by all sorts of factors, not just the OS.

And yes, The Commander, they can be bad drivers. 9.12 XP, and 9.12 for Vista/7 aren't the same damn thing, at all, they are DIFFERENT drivers, based on the same revision.

Anyhow, I'm just gonna stop here. I don't want to get in a fight, I just wanted to state how illogical that I felt the decision was.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 29 January 2010 - 09:37 AM

User is offline   WedgeBob 

View PostTea Monster, on Jan 24 2010, 04:34 AM, said:

Windows 7 is amazing. Microsoft made a new OS that (sharp intake of breath) that runs as good as XP does.
and isn't a complete memory and resource whore.

If you are going back to Vista, don't even consider it.

Damn right...better backwards compatibility than Vista, too... There were a lot of games from days gone by, and other apps that ran fine here, but were rather picky to install on Vista.
Fewer BSODs in Win 7 than in Vista, too, might I add...a lot of games (well, I was running a 9800GTX+ GPU and a Phenom I 9550 CPU at the time, which was a contributing factor) wound up bumping me back to Windows because of constant crashing.
Have yet to even have one BSOD with a single game or editing utility with Win 7 and an HD5850/Phenom II 955 combo.

This post has been edited by WedgeBob: 30 January 2010 - 08:06 AM

Hmm I did get a BSOD once, dunno why, hopefully an isolated incident ;)

Hey, this thread is more active now that the issue isn't there any more. What does that say? I dunno, but I feel I may contribute to the argument that is going on, well, about the performance... I'll let the system requirements speak for me;
For Windows 7:
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

For Windows XP:
Pentium 233-megahertz (MHz) processor or faster (300 MHz is recommended)
At least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM (128 MB is recommended)
At least 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available space on the hard disk
Video adapter and monitor with Super VGA (800 x 600)or higher resolution

Now, it stands to reason that an OS that requires a stronger system will not perform as well, see the OS as a weight and the computer as a runner, as you make him carry more weight (Windows 7) he won't be able to run as quickly as he could before when he was carrying less weight. I have also noticed a lot of these features that have dissapeared (Menu bars is one thing I really miss) and it's this collection of niggly things that really add up.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options