Duke4.net Forums: Uninstalling Windows 7 If This Can't Be Solved - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Uninstalling Windows 7 If This Can't Be Solved  "Uninstalling Windows 7 If This Can't Be Solved"

User is offline   Mark 

I'm one of those old farts that hates change. From Dos on up, I always waited until long after everyone else upgraded to the next OS. I would give in when games I wanted badly would only run on the newest OS. But I do my best to keep the look and feel of WIN 98. I configured XP to look and behave very closely to 98 and did the same with Vista. Although with Vista it took a bunch of registry and other hacks to get it to my satisfaction. So I can fully understand Commander's frustration. If it wasn't for the hacks and mods I found for Vista I propbably would have gone back to XP. My XP computer is 6 years old and is still running "lean and mean" on it's original install. No screens of death or glitches. It just didn't have the hardware to keep up with the latest games. My new computer came with a Vista CD so I installed it out of curiosity and am 99 percent pleased with it. I haven't seen a computer with 7 on it yet so I don't have much of an opinion, other that what I have heard from others on the web.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

High Treason, if you need menu bars back in Windows 7 when browsing folders, go to Organize -> Layout -> Menu Bar.

I hope that helps. ;)

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 30 January 2010 - 11:54 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Vista and 7 use the same driver model, which is different from XP. One of the biggest problems that MS had with Vista was that loads of manufacturers didn't bother writing drivers for thier equipment. Loads of cameras and other gupp wound up being left out in the cold. Of course, this was all 'Veesta's' fault. It was, of course, not the fault of the manufacturers, who had been sent betas of Vista for over a year before the OS was shipped and just didn't bother to write drivers for their equipment.

Saying that, Vista was a pain in the arse generally. Win 7 took all that was good with Vista, and tried to marry XP's performance to it. The result is remarkably successful. On top of all that they put in some cool new stuff. All in all, Win 7 is pretty "win", not fail.

The only thing that really bugs me is that they STILL haven't fixed the F$%&ing 'Unidentified Network' bug with DHCP that popped up when they re-wrote the TCP/IP stack for Vista. It's a complete pain in the dong.

User is offline   Sangman 

View PostHigh Treason, on Jan 30 2010, 07:05 PM, said:

Now, it stands to reason that an OS that requires a stronger system will not perform as well, see the OS as a weight and the computer as a runner, as you make him carry more weight (Windows 7) he won't be able to run as quickly as he could before when he was carrying less weight.

Yeah... I think we get that without an analogy.

Reminds me of the old saying:

A computer without Windows is like a dog without a bunch of bricks tied around its neck
... ;) :P http://forums2.duke4...tyle_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

User is offline   Franpa 

View PostStrikerMan780, on Jan 30 2010, 02:41 AM, said:

Posted Image

Such a moronic rush decision....

I'll have to induce an ever bigger facepalm if you uninstalled the 64-bit version of Windows 7. Such an ill-advised waste, especially if you paid for it. Even worse if you uninstalled Professional or Ultimate, which supports the Downloadable XP Mode, if that's the case, I'll have to murder you, as you could have simply used that if you absolutely needed to for file management.

Could have waited until someone could help solve the problem. You realize Windows 7 allows you almost 100 ways to sort files, so, you could have likely gotten them to sort the way you needed them to. For example, you can sort by custom fields in file properties, so, you could sort by "Comments" and add your own comments to the files you want to sort via Properties.

I, personally, always Sort and Group by file type, when I am managing data for my Mods.

Seems like there are an assload of planned new features and fixes for Service Pack 1 anyhow.

Now, as far as your Abysmal gaming performance, something is severely wrong (Bad Drivers, or you were running far too many processes?). I've never had a single performance hit, going from either OS. In fact, when I went with the 64-bit Windows 7, my Performance increased ever so slightly. I am running NVidia here, though. Through my experience, the quality of their drivers are much better, especially in the newer OSes.

He wants to move files around in a window without them snapping to a grid of any kind. Sorting is completely irrelevant.

View PostStrikerMan780, on Jan 31 2010, 05:53 AM, said:

High Treason, if you need menu bars back in Windows 7 when browsing folders, go to Organize -> Layout -> Menu Bar.

I hope that helps. <_<

Or "Control Panel" -> "Folder Options" -> "View" (tab) -> "Always show menus". This will re-enable them all and is one of the most fucked up default settings in Windows 7. It makes it less simplified and more keyboard dependent.

This post has been edited by Franpa: 28 February 2010 - 07:34 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Dude this is so old now, I am on Windows XP and not going back Win 7.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 28 February 2010 - 09:43 AM

User is offline   Spiker 

View PostThe Commander, on Feb 28 2010, 06:43 PM, said:

Dude this is so old now, I am on Windows XP and not going forward Win 7.

Some thing that runs slower on my PC is going back not forward.

This stupid argument is about as useless as them damn Iratehack and AVGN fanny boys bitching between themselves.

Simple matter of that fact is that Windows 7 runs EVERYTHING like ass on "this" pc so Windows XP is what will stay on this PC also due to the fact that the other games I mod for that the tools don't work on Windows 7.
Criticize me all you want, Windows 7 can't run the old programs I need to use still. (and no administrator doesn't do shit)

But I still still think Windows 7 is ass even if I got a brand new PC with it installed and I would in an instant reformat it to put XP on it. Especially if they still hadn't fixed the grid locking shit (and no I don't want some gay shit ass group)

Windows 7 reminds me of video games today, it takes your hand and walks you through everything.
Where as XP (I would say Win 98 if I could) just lets you mind your own damn business which is all I want.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 28 February 2010 - 01:17 PM

User is offline   Sangman 

View PostThe Commander, on Feb 28 2010, 10:15 PM, said:

Where as XP (I would say Win 98 if I could) just lets you mind your own damn business which is all I want.

Well then why not use Linux? <_<

View PostSangman, on Mar 3 2010, 02:14 PM, said:

Well then why not use Linux? <_<

I have been tempted to at times.

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

I thought of tryng new os not having to do with MS also. But i'm just use to the MS shit. Did you know that back in the days of Win 95, you could install it on any machine with any product code number as long as the last number was divisible by 7? Yep! And to this day i have pc's running with 95, 98, 98SE and Me.

This post has been edited by VinsaneOne: 03 March 2010 - 10:07 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostThe Commander, on Feb 28 2010, 01:15 PM, said:

But I still still think Windows 7 is ass even if I got a brand new PC with it installed and I would in an instant reformat it to put XP on it.

I hate to break this to you, but if you buy a brand new PC, you are very likely to find that there are no XP drivers written for the brand new devices in your brand new PC!! <_<

This actually happened to my Son when he bought a new laptop recently.

View PostThe Commander, on Feb 28 2010, 01:15 PM, said:

Windows 7 reminds me of video games today, it takes your hand and walks you through everything.

LOL Very true! I do like Win 7 as a version of Windows, it runs well on modern hardware (runs OK on a lot of older hardware, which you can't say about 'Veestah'). I find it handles a lot of the BS of running windows more easily than XP.

XP is like a comfy pair of shoes that are about to fall apart. They feel good and they let you get where you are going without any fuss or discomfort. But you can see the writing on the wall as far as new PC's and hardware. Soon stuff you need will stop supporting it and then it will be time to tearfully get rid.

@VinsaneOne - I loved 98SE - Have you tried 98lite? I can't stand ME though. Horrible abomination!

I've been tempted by Linux before. If Windows 7 had turned out to be as much of a pile of arse as Vista, then I definitely would have gone over to the Ubuntu side!

VinsaneOne - if you want unrivalled speed on one of your older boxes, try out a boot CD of Puppy Dog Linux or DamnSmallLinux. It will even run off a flash drive if your BIOS will support it.

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View PostTea Monster, on Mar 7 2010, 09:09 AM, said:

I hate to break this to you, but if you buy a brand new PC, you are very likely to find that there are no XP drivers written for the brand new devices in your brand new PC!! <_<

This actually happened to my Son when he bought a new laptop recently.

LOL Very true! I do like Win 7 as a version of Windows, it runs well on modern hardware (runs OK on a lot of older hardware, which you can't say about 'Veestah'). I find it handles a lot of the BS of running windows more easily than XP.

XP is like a comfy pair of shoes that are about to fall apart. They feel good and they let you get where you are going without any fuss or discomfort. But you can see the writing on the wall as far as new PC's and hardware. Soon stuff you need will stop supporting it and then it will be time to tearfully get rid.

@VinsaneOne - I loved 98SE - Have you tried 98lite? I can't stand ME though. Horrible abomination!

I've been tempted by Linux before. If Windows 7 had turned out to be as much of a pile of arse as Vista, then I definitely would have gone over to the Ubuntu side!

VinsaneOne - if you want unrivalled speed on one of your older boxes, try out a boot CD of Puppy Dog Linux or DamnSmallLinux. It will even run off a flash drive if your BIOS will support it.

Cool! I'm gonna take a look at this as I think it can be of some good use to me. Thanks! I found the Puppy Linux Community site that has everything I need.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options