Duke4.net Forums: What Happened To Triton? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What Happened To Triton?

User is offline   ZaphodB 

I've been searching to the best of my abilities, but it seems not only is the forum down (has been for a few days) but now the whole Triton site is down. I'm gld I didnt get Prey thru Triton, but I feel bad for anyone who did. Did they go belly-up? Or are they relocating, or what? Just a curiosity I thought I'd pass along. :)

You are the first person I have seen that has suggested anything else than them going "belly-up" relocation would certainly be compatible with the signs out there. Triton still works fine for me, so I don't know.

Hopefully everything is alright for them.

I have nothing but IMMENSELY good things to say about them.

Yeah, I've heard about 78% good things by different people, Royal realy seemed to be doing a bang-up job of fixing individuals problems (when a lot of the time it has been their own fault like firewall settings, AV settings. etc. I mean to me it makes sense to make sure all online options are open for things like steam/triton for them to work properly). I hope they are on a revamp-relocation rather than being belly-up. Royal seemed to be a "stand-up-guy" in personally trying to help people, especially in the forums, something he didn't have to do. The reason I got to worry-ing was I saw Joe and Rich private messaging a LOT yesterday (I don't know if it was them back and forth, but on what users are doing (like checking it out to see which of the threads I post/read are getting new posts) they were private messaging for quite a few hours. Who knows, they could have been telling jokes to ppl that couldn't be posted in the forums.). I'm not trying to be a rumor-monger, but I am concerned, and just thought ppl would like to know what "miniscule" info I know, and if anyone else has any info that they could add to it. Personally would love to see Triton grow and be big like Steam.

By Rich you mean HH Programmer Rich Whitehouse correct ?

I noticed him PM'ing a bit, although not for hours nor did I see Joe pm'ing but then again I only checked "Who's online" 3-4 times or so.

Even if it where them PM'ing it could be about the SDK release, the new content, personal stuff between them or a bunch of other stuff.

However it might well be Triton related aswell. It is certainly an option, lets hope it is not bad news about Triton.

Worst case it could have been about Triton pulling the plug and what will be done about that.

Because Joe is usually the one who conveys such news to the community(This would also be the case if the PM's where about the SDK and/or new content).

Bottomline is that we don't know and will have to wait until either DiStream and/or 3DR responds offiicaly to what is going on.

Very true. Just thought ppl would want to know anything anyone knew.
And yeah, that's the two I meant.

Although it doesn't look good with Triton being removed off of 3DRealms store page on where to get it (it's even been removed from the Prey Wiki).

Looks like you where correct, see this post of Joe's.

That is damn shame and in the overall scheme a very surprising turn of events. But not surprising with what has happened recently.

Wish 3D Realms could buy out Triton to make it an "In House" thing like Valve did with Steam. To me that would be the thing to do.

P.S. I don't like being right in cases like this.

User is offline   Cerberus_e 

This is a serious slap in the face for anyone in favour of on line authentication :)

Cerberus_e, on Oct 6 2006, 01:07 PM, said:

This is a serious slap in the face for anyone in favour of on line authentication :)
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I bet you're enjoying this, aren't you?

I have mixed feelings. On one hand I think it's unfortunate for people like Kristian Joensen who bought their game through Triton, but on the other hand I'm indeed enjoying this because a part of what I said in the on line authentication debates is getting reality. You know, those debates where people have been calling me "paranoid" and my arguments "unfounded" :)

User is offline   avatar_58 

huhuhu.....hahahahaha....mwhahahaha...BAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Ahahahahaha......ahahahhhh.....................haha.

ha...

Champagne Cerberus? Well well well "it'll never happen" has finally happened. You are all just lucky Prey happened to have a boxed copy to fall back on. Therefore 3DR might still be able to salvage their customer base for Prey.

Think, when (I said when damnit) Steam goes down eventually then where will your boxed copy be? Oh thats right, there aren't any. I hope for all our sakes Valve is more prepared and has their 'patch' ready.

Until then we we always have Triton as a reminder that online authentication is dangerous and could lead to making a coaster out of your game.

Actually, this sitation isn't too bad. Because after all, "it's just a game", right? You know, when the authentication servers go down, what did you lose? 60 euros? What is 60 euros over the course of 10 years? (pro on line authentication people refused to acknowledge servers could go down in less than 10 years...). We shouldn't complain about this situation or else we are automatically lifeless nerds who have no social life outside of internet forums. I guess we are lucky the sacred patch that doesn't exist got out so neversoon!

Haha, I wonder if the pro authentication people are still going to hold tight to their way of reasoning and their view on authentication, like above B) I guess so, since good arguments aren't important for them... it's more about defending their favourite gaming company.

Even if they manage to release a patch... what about all those people that want to redownload the game (because they lost their burned CDs, or never burned them? (Which they don't have to do)). They lost the game now. Or are they going to release the full game in the patch? That's impossible as Prey would be practically freeware then :)

What about the folks who used Triton regularly? Prey wasn't their only game in the catalogue you know, those customers must be fuming right now at the thought of losing all that money. :) Especially since the majority of the games could have been purchased in boxed form.....making it sting hard since they actually chose to use Triton instead.

This is a hard lesson, but it needed to happen if you ask me. Now companies can step back and think about the future as opposed to just fluffing it off with a "we'll worry later" speech.

Seeing Steam get more and more games (both for purchase and for FREE) every month, I personally don't think Steam will be going away in the next 10-15 years, its becomming to profitable a device for Valve. I think the problem with Triton was they bit off more than they could chew from the start. I feel if another gaming company (like EA-even though ppl don't like EA from what I've seen, somebody must for the amount of sales they do, just an example, fill in any other big gaming company you wish) had done Triton instead of a copany wantin to be solely an onine distributor, Triton would still be around.

And WON? :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WON

That the WON you talking about? Looks like it's called STEAM now. Seems like theey took care of their people too.

And when they were WON, all they did is have online gaming, kinda like HEAT or TEN. Thoese aren't arround either, and since they wern't distributors, just online game servers, don't see the relevance.

ZaphodB, on Oct 7 2006, 10:23 AM, said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WON

That the WON you talking about?  Looks like it's called STEAM now.  Seems like theey took care of their people too.

No they didn't, there was far more on WON than just HL1.

Then inform me. Please. The wiki is the only thing I could find on WON. (I didn't get into "online gaming" till about 2000). The only online stuff I had with games was getting patches/updates for games until then. And then in 2000 was when I started using Gamespy.

ZaphodB, on Oct 7 2006, 02:01 PM, said:

Then inform me. Please.  The wiki is the only thing I could find on WON. (I didn't get into "online gaming" till about 2000).  The only online stuff I had with games was getting patches/updates for games until then.  And then in 2000 was when I started using Gamespy.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The entire Sierra Online (pre-VU ownership) catalogue used WON as its multiplayer function. Games like 'You don't know Jack' and 'Lords of Magic' no longer function online, as they they weren't given any thought by VUgames in the steam era.

Cerb it seems this isn't as bad as you thought at all, to quote OBWANDO:

Thanks to your support, the Triton service was a technological success in its launch, but unfortunately it saddens me to announce that the Triton service is offline. The company itself is undergoing an reorganization process. As a Triton customer, one thing that has always been pledged was to make sure that you as a customer would be taken care of. As a result, I wanted to inform those that have purchased games on the system that there will be a patch that will remove the online dependency for the games as promised and allow you to play, backup and reinstall your game that you purchased as you see fit. This patch will be coming very soon, and once the patch is ready, I will send an email with instructions on how to install this patch.

For those that purchased Prey, I have talked with Take 2, 3D Realms, and Human Head studios. 2K has set up a replacement program for customers who purchased Prey via the Triton download service.A new boxed copy of Prey will be shipped to each customer who purchased the game via Triton and www.playtriton.com. You will not have to do anything as you should receive a retail boxed copy of Prey in the mail soon to the address we have on file. This will allow you to move forward with any patches to the game that come out from the publisher/developer.

As I promised before launch, for those that have any questions on the address to be sent to, or the patch of the games on the system, you can still reach me at [thebox a.t. obwando.com] and I will do my best to support you during this time of transition.

Best wishes,

Royal 'OBWANDO' O'Brien

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options