Duke4.net Forums: Real Time Strategy Wall - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Real Time Strategy Wall

User is offline   Cerberus_e 

This is great competion to the adventure game corner thread, especially since you have more space against a wall than in a corner Posted Image

What can I say? Real time strategy games are great: Command & Conquer, Total Annihiliation, ... (Not Ages of Empires of course :))
We hope Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars will be good of course and that they'll change their name to Tiberium Twilight. We can't wait for Supreme Commander 2007 as well...

Here is a screenshot from my base in Command & Conquer from 2 levels ago:

Posted Image

Small, but functional B) I don't need many tanks as I destroyed the bioresearch center with my ORCAs B) Which was the objective. This is not my base from the previous level because that was a non-production mission, which is a mission without a base B) I like those for variation, the Red Alert games do a great job with those.

So which games do you like and what are your experiences? B)

User is offline   Micki! 

• Candy Consumptionist & Administrator

I feel like installing Starcraft again, so i can participate in this thread...
Or Age of empires Gold...

User is offline   Nihilanth 

I've always liked RTS games. I think WarCraft was the first RTS I've ever played. Unfortunetly I was too young to play it as it's meant to be so I used cheats. Still I had great fun. So as soon as War2 came out I bought it - it was cool, everything bigger and better; and of course I can't forget War3. Not really an Role-playing strategy I hoped it'd be but how can I be disappointed with so many improvements and great gameplay?

Ahh, Command & Conquer, another great game. Ridiculously poor AI but hell, gameplay was satisfying for me, a lot of variations. I remember it, I had a demo on my very first CD ever and it was from some German magazine. I've played it over and over and over again. Red Alert series were good as well, but I prefer Tiberium universe. As one of a very few people I wasn't disappointed with Tiberian Sun. More, I still find it's setting and atmosphere the best all over the C&C world. I'm happy C&C3 brings Tiberian theme back and I hope they'll finally improve both AI (or should I say, finally CREATE AI) and tactical management. As for the rest, I hate Generals.

By the way, anyone know how to install C&C1 Win95 under XP? EDIT: Ok, I did it. But it crashed on a third mission and I didn't save. Dammit.

So who's next, StarCraft I think. At first I didn't like it, but few years ago I bought a package with both SC and Brood War in it and fell in love. Very nice species variations and incredible multiplayer. Not to mention memorable Single Player campaigns.

I can't forget RTS serie from my homeland: Earth. Earth 2140 became one of my favourites with many innovative ideas but it's E2150 that's probably my favourite RTS game ever. I think the main thing I love about it is that the entire gameplay is continuous, it's not like every mission is independed. I miss it hard in 2160 which is too much graphics oriented imo.

And there's also Homeworld but it's a little out of the way I like games to be. But still has some cool features.

I think there's not much discussion about what I am waiting for. Of course C&C3 and Supreme Commander. I sense cry of war in 2007.

BTW: there's one serie I'd like to mention but it's not RTS, but rather more strategy-oriented game, so would it violate threads purpose? :)

User is offline   Micki! 

I remember the first RTS game i tried was Age of Empires... I was too young of course, and used cheats.. :)
Of course i got older, and played in a normal way...
However, i still play with cheas... Not because i want to beat a level or anything... but some cheats are really so damn fun... B)

It was the first stone/middle age themes RTS game where you could have a damn car, with a guy wielding a Bazooka of some kind...

Q&Q Red Alert 2 and Starcraft are among my favorites, because i really like the theme...

Worms 2..? Is that an RTS game..?
That was fun too... also got the improved version "Worms Armageddon" and "World Party"... Basicly, the last 2 are identical... Except world party adds some extra, some fun elements...

I'm planning to pick up Brood Wars for Starcraft tomorrow... Yickle Pidgeon also recomended it to me...

Oh man, I've managed to finish Worms Armageddon campaign. Definetly one of the most difficult and annoying things I've ever done in games (completing Doom and Doom 2 on Nightmare! is a walk in a park compared to this).

So it's not RTS but this serie is one of the best strategy games imo: X-COM. For those who don't know, it's a combination of strategy (building a base, research, trading, operating in macro scale - hunting down enemy ships, attacking bases, saving civil population) and tactical gameplay (leading a squad in turn-based combat) with story built around alien invasion. While Enemy Unknown and Terror from the Deep are virtually the same (same weapons, nearly the same aliens and buildings but with different names and look), TFTD is my favourite. Underwater setting is really dark and moody, game is more difficult than Enemy Unknown and I think more serious. I simply can't recall how many time I've spent on that game, it's great (yet very, very difficult, with 5 difficulty settings, playing on something higher than 2 or 3 option is a suicide; for an oridinary player, 1st option is often enough).

And there's of course Apocalypse, the third X-COM. With a lot of changes, it's a lot bigger and more complicated (yet we no longer operate in a world scale but around one big city). With many different organisations throughout the game world, dozens of vehicles and weapons, research, great gameplay and high replayability it's clearly my favourite strategy game (in fact it's on par with TFTD, mainly because of TFTDs setting and memories).

Sadly, next installments of X-COM series are very poor imo. This includes Aftermath, Aftershock and the third one but I can't remember what it is (and of course Interceptor - Descent-like game in the world of X-C). Maybe Extraterrestrials will change it but I doubt it.

Ok, so, back to RTSes. :)

Oh, the UFO games... I tried the UFO: Aftermath demo but it's indeed not my cup of tea. I even tried the first game in the series, UFO: Enemy Unkown, but couldn't get into it. I don't like how fighting and building a base is seperate. I like it better like they do it in RTS games like Command & Conquer, Total Annihilation, ... where you building a base and fighting isn't something seperate.
Heck, even Age of Empires does it right, and that already means something :)

By the way, anyone likes the Caesar games? I remember finding the first 2 levels fun in Caesar 3 when I was young, but the third or fourth level was already too hard for me B)

Played some more Command & Conquer...

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

First screenshot: Anyone want a taste from my ORCAs? B) Not all my helipads are on the screen, even.
Second screenshot: What would happen if I air strike this base? B)
Third screenshot: The aftermath of my airstrike + ion cannon + ORCA attack B)

As you can see in the second screenshot, he built so many crap infantry that are washed away by my ion second in a second that his tanks and tiberium harvester got stuck B) All the other enemy harvesters are destroyed, since my base was the only place where there was some tiberium left, so all harvesters of the enemy went through my defence to the left of my base (like you can see in my first screenshot) B) The enemy got no income anymore, so he couldn't buy construction yard anymore B) Yes you read that right, the enemy can build contruction yards without even possessing a construction yard in this level :) It's very unfair... the enemy can even build buildings that don't border with another building. He kept building turrets in the middle of nowhere near bridges and on mountains. That's unfair, and completely destroys the strategy element of a strategy game.

Well, I finished the GDI missions now, on to NOD... I'm going to miss the ORCAs B) Oh well, I'm sure I'll be able to do loads of fun stuff with my stealth tanks B) Hopefully the enemy doesn't unfairly detect them sometimes.

I have a question, what does everyone think of the black fog in RTS games? I think it's a fun gameplay element in missions where you start with a base, but I think the whole battlefield needs to be visible in non-production missions, so it relies more on strategy instead of metagaming. I also think you should get a radar in non-production missions but that's not as bad as the whole battlefield in black fog.

I don't like what I call "grey fog", though, like in Total Annihilation and Age of Empires, so you can't see enemy units in parts you have already explored, only when they are in viewing distance of a friendly unit.
It's more realistic, but I fail to see how that's fun. I have never played such game seriously though, only Ages of Empires at friends and the Total Annihilation demo.

In older games it hurt that units had so ridiculously bad sight, like they can't see futher than 5 meters. Especially in non-production missions. So yeah, black fog sux there, because instead of moving your forces tacticly, you just rush hoping to get where you're supposed to go.

I believe what Cerberus_e refers to as 'grey fog' is in fact Fog of War. Personally I find it more interesting to have it instead of having entire already-explored area visible along with enemy units. Of course as long as units have better sight than few meters. However funny fact is that I always turn Fog of War off, if possible. :) I don't mind games that have it permanently turned on, but if I can, I shut it down. B)

It's also interesting when you've got all the battlefield visible from the beginning (like in Ground Control if I remember correctly), with the exception of enemies. That's rather realistic imo, with all those sattelites, inteligence, maps it's just strange that you have no idea how does your surroundings look like.

But basicly, as long as my units see rather realisticly and I don't have to worry that they won't spot a batalion of tanks 10 meters away from them, I don't mind neither black nor grey fog.

Nihilanth, on Sep 5 2006, 07:19 PM, said:

I don't mind games that have it permanently turned on, but if I can, I shut it down. B)

Isn't that a bit cheating :) I'd still rather play a game with its frustrating elements than cheating the frustrating elements away.

Nihilanth, on Sep 5 2006, 07:19 PM, said:

It's also interesting when you've got all the battlefield visible from the beginning (like in Ground Control if I remember correctly), with the exception of enemies. That's rather realistic imo, with all those sattelites, inteligence, maps it's just strange that you have no idea how does your surroundings look like.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Especially if you revisit a level because troops are taking over (Egypt in the original Command & Conquer), or you play a level where there is already a base present (they can at least give you their overview of the battlefield before giving you control, right? B))

I wonder something else: Isn't it frustrating you can't see the enemy base with Fog of War (so you can't adapt your strategies accordingly on how you'll get past or destroy the defences or something). I can see how it's a nuisance that you never know if someone is after your harvester until they are in the view of the harvester (and it's too late then).

Hey, I played a few RTS games at my cousin's house, a few years ago, but I don't know the name. The less time passed, the more I remember, apparently :)

Here is what I remember of RTS #1:

- It was on a foreign planet, and you had to collect credits by collecting green liquid stuff from some sort of volcanoes.

Here is what I remember of RTS #2:

- You could build pavement, to put in your base between your buildings. Units on pavement walk faster than on normal ground.
- Buildings could be upgraded. You could buy (or you received for free, don't remember) extensions on buildings. I remember the radar got an extension (or radar was an extention on another building, no idea)
- There was a "superweapon" that generated a bomb every once in a while. You could see it floating in the air, flying over to the enemy base, and drop itself on a random structure.

Here is what I remember of RTS #3:

- Three factions, one of them was human, the other were monsters/aliens. I haven't seen the third faction.
- There was a human mission where I had to kill all those aliens/monsters. Then the next level (I think) was to build a base and survive all attacks for 30 minutes or so. I got really though at the end as there were LOTS and LOTS of (orange/yellow/red) aliens/monsters the last 3 minutes.
- You could buy bunkers, but they didn't shoot themselves. You could put around 5 infantry in them or something, and those would shoot and be protected by the bunker.
- One of your units was in a car, and you could lay 5 mines with it. When an enemy neared the mines, they jumped out and exploded. As far as I remember you also have to protect that car in early missions.

Hey, these RTSes could be one and the same (just with a different faction), but I put them seperately, every group of memories, to be sure B)
Anyone knows all RTSes I mentioned here? B)

Cerberus_e, on Sep 7 2006, 07:12 AM, said:

Here is what I remember of RTS #3:

- Three factions, one of them was human, the other were monsters/aliens. I haven't seen the third faction.
- There was a human mission where I had to kill all those aliens/monsters. Then the next level (I think) was to build a base and survive all attacks for 30 minutes or so. I got really though at the end as there were LOTS and LOTS of (orange/yellow/red) aliens/monsters the last 3 minutes.
- You could buy bunkers, but they didn't shoot themselves. You could put around 5 infantry in them or something, and those would shoot and be protected by the bunker.
- One of your units was in a car, and you could lay 5 mines with it. When an enemy neared the mines, they jumped out and exploded. As far as I remember you also have to protect that car in early missions.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm convinced it's Starcraft. Three factions, 30min surviving mission at terran (human) side, bunkers and vultures (mine-dropping cars). Definetly.

http://img394.images...088/ss02ae8.jpg

Is that it?

Yes! Thanks, Laffer also suspected it was Starcraft.
As for RTS #1 & #2, aren't they Starcraft too, or don't you recognise these elements? Or another RTS with the elements from 1 & 2?

Cerberus_e, on Sep 7 2006, 08:53 AM, said:

Yes! Thanks, Laffer also suspected it was Starcraft.
As for RTS #1 & #2, aren't they Starcraft too, or don't you recognise these elements? Or another RTS with the elements from 1 & 2?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure. It is of course on foreign planets and there are some kind of vulcanoes but you don't harvest liquid but gas:
http://img490.images...tytu322ujh9.jpg

But there were no pavement, or auto-generated bomb (there was nuclear bomb but you had to buy it). Only the main building was upgradeable, you could add 'addons' to few others. In fact it sounds kinda like Tiberian Sun. There was a pavement, radar had two addon-points, and there was Droid Seeker that you could release to destroy random unit/structure.

http://img116.images...16/29/02vs7.jpg
http://img45.imagesh...gdiradarkd6.gif
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/2166/gd...eekreadyou0.gif

It's probably those volcanoes, yes. So #1 is also Starcraft, and #2 is definitely Tiberian Sun! I now remember those laser fences. Thanks for solving it :)

User is offline   Micki! 

1 and 3 are deffentale Tibiran Sun and Starcraft (Starcraft rocks :))

Cerberus_e, on Sep 7 2006, 05:12 PM, said:

Here is what I remember of RTS #2:

- You could build pavement, to put in your base between your buildings. Units on pavement walk faster than on normal ground.
- Buildings could be upgraded. You could buy (or you received for free, don't remember) extensions on buildings. I remember the radar got an extension (or radar was an extention on another building, no idea)
- There was a "superweapon" that generated a bomb every once in a while. You could see it floating in the air, flying over to the enemy base, and drop itself on a random structure.

From the description, it sounds like "Earth 2160"
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/earth2...ex.html?q=earth

I'm not sure, but i'm certain i read once that buildings could be upgraded with extensions for the building...
I'm really not sure, i got it from one of my PC magazines...

No, too new. 2 is probably Tiberian Sun, and 1 and 3 are Starcraft.

User is offline   Micki! 

You might be right, Tiberian sun had the powerplant, where power extensions could be added...

Or was that the teberium silos..?! Can't remember, but something could be extended, that's true...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options