Duke4.net Forums: Question about certain Mods (using eDuke) - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Question about certain Mods (using eDuke)

User is offline   Gibush 

Hi. I recently got Duke Nukem 3D on GOG and I'm enjoying it.
I decided to try some mods, so I nabbed the 5000 level file and the 150ish TC's files at duke4.

Anyway, I ended up figuring out that to use a mod I can stick it in a subfolder (which I appropriately named Mods), and then go to new game and it'll be there.

Or atleast that worked with one mod (the Alien Trilogy TC).
But it seems like when mods have a bunch of files in them, I don't know what to do.

For example, Platoon TC. It's weird, and of course the readme assumes you have DOS or a really old computer as I guess it was written at that time. It says to copy all the files to your Duke3d directory and then run the batch file. Well, I copied them to the Mods folder, and ran the batch, but it didn't work, as I expected.
Then I put them in the actual Duke3d directory (c:\programfiles\gog\duke3dwhatever\ and that didn't work either (although it did make it so that the original duke3d with dosbox didn't work anymore so I did a clean install.)

So, I guess I can't run all mods on eDuke and I'll have to use the original directory for some?

Also, theres this cool looking one called Ages in Time: Mistique, which gives you swords and lets you explore a fantasy world. I was able to get it to run with the original duke installation (this TC has it's own installer AND launcher, so I figured that out) and it was pretty cool, if really low res and crappy mouselookey.

Then I tried making a copy of my eduke directory (c:\games\duke3d eduke edition or something\

so I installed this Ages in Time to "copy of duked3d eduke edition or something"
and when I tried to launch it goes "cannot locate duke3d"

So, I think yeah, it IS called eDuke32. So I rename eDuke 32 to Duke3d. It works! Only then I realize, damn, I can't use opengl unless I use a shortcut that has "-forcegl" in the command line.

So, since I can't use command lines on exe's I guess I was out of luck with opengl. But, oh well, who cares, for whatever reason, the second time I tried to launch, it didn't work. Weird.

Oh well, I might do a fresh copy and install of eDuke and Ages in Time to try it out, eDuke style.

But yeah, thanks in advance if anyone can help me with my mods problem (like, maybe instructions on how to install, say, the average TC. Things to know about what to do about batch files, cons, .arts, all that jazz.)

Sorry for the long post.

(Oh, one more thing. My comp detected sstc, the starship troopers TC as a virus. I assume it's wrong but I just wanted to make sure. the thing it detected was the "win install", and it said it was a trogan gen. Thanks again.)

This post has been edited by Gibush: 05 January 2010 - 08:29 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostGibush, on Jan 5 2010, 08:28 PM, said:

(Oh, one more thing. My comp detected sstc, the starship troopers TC as a virus. I assume it's wrong but I just wanted to make sure. the thing it detected was the "win install", and it said it was a trogan gen.

Hahaha, that's what they get for being such dicks about trying to prevent their precious content from being stolen. Not only does that TC have all the stuff tucked away inside an installer that won't work on any modern OS, they also ran the game script through a de-formatting program to make it virtually unreadable. A few years ago, I reformatted the script and I was going to play around with it, but suddenly the SSTC project leader got wind of it, came out of nowhere (apparently he has spies) and told me to cease and desist on pain of...I'm not sure what. So, not surprisingly, no one plays their TC any more, despite the fact that it was the best one ever made at that time. Let it rest in peace.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

I didn't know about that. You should have kept going just to piss him off :-)

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Indeed, you should reformat the con file and post it up here.
He can't not hold any copyright over it, lol

But that SSTTC can't be bundled that well, the .DAT file that holds all the files for the install can be opened with WINRAR so you don't even need the installer.

User is offline   supergoofy 

If I remember correctly, I already packed an eduke32 friendly version (I didn't change any cons). And also a maps addon, compiled from various maps. A yes, get them from here: http://dukeworld.duk...rrent/tc/ssttc/

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostDeeperThought, on Jan 6 2010, 04:42 AM, said:

Hahaha, that's what they get for being such dicks about trying to prevent their precious content from being stolen. Not only does that TC have all the stuff tucked away inside an installer that won't work on any modern OS, they also ran the game script through a de-formatting program to make it virtually unreadable. A few years ago, I reformatted the script and I was going to play around with it, but suddenly the SSTC project leader got wind of it, came out of nowhere (apparently he has spies) and told me to cease and desist on pain of...I'm not sure what. So, not surprisingly, no one plays their TC any more, despite the fact that it was the best one ever made at that time. Let it rest in peace.

I remember this; I thought it was even more ironic considering the mod had plenty of ripped content like sounds from HL, some music from Quake 2, Shadow Warrior textures and sounds .etc .etc

In anycase, the problem is the majority of mods all had different install procedures. The sad thing is the more flashy they tried to make it, the harder it actually is to install it on a modern PC. Duke mods never should need installing anyway. Many mods come with .bat files - if you open it up on notepad you'll see a line saying something like:

duke3d /gblabal.grp /xbalbal.con

Changing the duke3d to Eduke32 should help somewhat with your problem.

This post has been edited by James: 06 January 2010 - 03:14 AM

User is offline   Gibush 

So, I edit the .bat to eduke32, then run the bat? Is that how mods are "installed"? I'm not even sure what the .bat's are for. With the more basic mods I can just slap the files in "mods" and it shows up in eDuke.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostGibush, on Jan 6 2010, 11:04 AM, said:

So, I edit the .bat to eduke32, then run the bat? Is that how mods are "installed"? I'm not even sure what the .bat's are for. With the more basic mods I can just slap the files in "mods" and it shows up in eDuke.

Unfortunately, there is no one way that mods are installed. There are several different types of content that Duke mods use, and there are different ways in which EDuke32 can be told to use those contents. There are .map files (game levels), .CON files (game script for monster AI and other things that aren't hardcoded), .ART files (8-bit art tiles for textures and sprites in the game), as well as .wav, .voc, and .mid (sounds and music, which are defined in a CON file, usually USER.CON). Mods made in the last six years or so may also include .def files (definitions for models, hi-res art, map hacks, etc.) and various .md3 models, .pngs, .oggs and other contents specified by the def files.

By default, EDuke32 will look for DUKE3D.GRP, and will use the maps, CONs, .ART, and other stuff it finds in there. GAME.CON is the main script file inside of DUKE3D.GRP. If there is a copy of GAME.CON loose in your folder at the same level as eduke32.exe, it will use that copy instead of the one inside your DUKE3D.GRP. The same applies to .ART files, maps, music and sound: files that are loose in your folder will override. EDuke32 also looks for a CON named EDUKE.CON, which will override GAME.CON. So one way to install a TC (which I do not recommend) is to make a new folder, put your eduke32.exe in there, your DUKE3D.GRP in there, and then put all the maps, art etc. loose in the folder. Rename the main CON file of the TC to EDUKE.CON, and you're good to go.

A more sane approach is to put all the content specific to the TC in its own sub-folder. Then, inside that new folder, rename the main CON file for the TC to EDUKE.CON. When you start up eduke32.exe, select that new folder as the custom game content directory, and it should work. If there is no visible CON file because it is inside of the TC's .GRP file, you may need to use a .bat with a command line to tell EDuke to use that GRP.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 06 January 2010 - 02:33 PM

User is offline   Gibush 

Ok, that cleared many things up.
I have one last question: how do you use a .bat with a command line to tell EDuke to use the TC's GRP, like you said?
I don't know many command line codes, sorry about that.

User is offline   eddym4814 

View PostGibush, on Jan 6 2010, 07:13 PM, said:

Ok, that cleared many things up.
I have one last question: how do you use a .bat with a command line to tell EDuke to use the TC's GRP, like you said?
I don't know many command line codes, sorry about that.

eduke32.exe /xadg.con /gadg.grp

Thats what you would use for the ADG Episode.

If there was only a GRP file you would use:

eduke32.exe /gadg.grp

User is offline   Gibush 

Thanks, and same with .bat's I assume?

Are you the guy who runs that link in your sig? I've been using some of you're (or whoever wrote the site)'s reviews to decide on TC's.
Also, DeeperThought, is your name a reference to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy(Deep Thought)?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostGibush, on Jan 7 2010, 08:30 AM, said:

Also, DeeperThought, is your name a reference to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy(Deep Thought)?

Yes, it is. It seemed like a good idea at the time, and once I started using that name, I felt like I needed to keep using it so as not to confuse people.

I recommend Mikko Sandt's review site:

http://msdn.duke4.net/index.shtml

By the way, those TC reviews are listed in chronological order, with more recent ones at the bottom of the list.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 07 January 2010 - 08:35 AM

User is offline   eddym4814 

View PostGibush, on Jan 7 2010, 11:30 AM, said:

Thanks, and same with .bat's I assume?

Yes.

View PostGibush, on Jan 7 2010, 11:30 AM, said:

Are you the guy who runs that link in your sig? I've been using some of you're (or whoever wrote the site)'s reviews to decide on TC's.

Yeah, thats me. :lol:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options